Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Cherry Danish (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/712207-cherry-danish.html)

Charski 03-04-2011 12:03 PM

Cherry Danish

This is an adaptation of a Cinnamon Roll recipe that Barbo sent me - it may well have originated on this forum, not sure to whom to credit it! Anyway I doubled and tweaked and came up with this one:

Cherry Danish

Dry ingredients

1 cup almond flour
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vital wheat gluten
1/2 cup oat fiber
2/3 cup Designer Whey plain or vanilla protein powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon glucomannan powder (or just use 1 tsp. xanthan gum total and delete glu powder)
1/4 tsp. NuNaturals NuStevia 0 Carb stevia powder
1/4 cup Diabetisweet brown sugar substitute
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (I actually use Trader Joe's 3 cheese blend)

Wet Ingredients

4 eggs
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light oil - I use rice bran oil or grapeseed oil
1/4 cup sugarfree Torani or DaVinci vanilla syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup water

Topping

1 can no sugar added cherry pie filling

Icing

4 oz. softened cream cheese
Sweetener to taste
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Enough heavy cream to thin to a squeezable consistency

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350*. Spray or grease 12 muffin top pan wells.

Stir all dry ingredients except cheese together in a medium bowl; once well-combined, stir in the cheese.

Mix all wet ingredients together in a 2 cup glass measure til well blended. Mix dry and wet ingredients together thoroughly, scraping sides and bottom of bolw, and let sit for 5 minutes. Divide evenly into 12 muffin top pan wells. Spread to fill the pan wells. Top each with about a heaping teaspoon of the cherry pie filling - I leave some of the gloppy stuff behind and try to concentrate on getting 3 or 4 cherries on each Danish.

Bake at 350* for about 15 minutes, til the batter is set and turning golden brown.

Let cool in the pan 10 minutes, then carefully remove to a rack to finish cooling. I find a plastic spatula helps get them out of the pans - loosen around the edges first, then run spatula gently under the Danish.

To ice - beat together the softened cream cheese, sweetener, vanilla, and enough cream to make an icing consistency. You don't want it too runny but not so thick that you can't pipe it out either. Spoon into a sandwich baggie, snip off a TINY corner, twist the icing down into the bottom of the baggie and pipe onto the Danish.

Makes 12.

You could use no sugar added pie filling in whatever flavors you like. I have some apple, which I'll try next, and some peach too. They're not easy to find but I got the cherry and apple at WalMart, their Good Value brand, and the peach from Netrition, I believe it's Steel's brand.

I'm also gonna try this with some SF jam, thinned out with a bit of water, one time soon!

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL10.../395523925.jpg

rosethorns 03-04-2011 12:28 PM

Wow Charski that looks devine! I am trying this soon.

Charski 03-04-2011 12:33 PM

It was every bit as good as it looks too, Esther. Barbo's DH, upon eating the original cinnamon roll, said if it was served in a pastry shop no one would know the difference.

Both the cinnamon roll and this Danish have really nice textures, like a high-carb item!

fourstubbs 03-04-2011 01:05 PM

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I can't believe what I am seeing!! I have got to make this, need some sf cherry filling... THANKS CHARSKI!!

fourstubbs 03-04-2011 01:09 PM

Actually, it can be made into my beloved cheese danish too... I am in heaven, that looks like a high carb danish!!!

ravenrose 03-04-2011 01:54 PM

that looks lovely! how creative.

Charski, I have found you can get a terrific glaze to zigzag like that just using powdered erythritol and water too. I totally agree on the "make it in a bag and pipe it" technique. it really fancies things up!

PaminKY 03-04-2011 01:56 PM

This looks divine! I can't do the sugar-free cherry pie filling but I can use a cream cheese filling and I can flavor it if I want.

Thanks

drjlocarb 03-04-2011 02:31 PM

I tried the cinnamon roll recipe. It was really good.

Next.........Danishes of varied flavors!

ouizoid 03-04-2011 02:34 PM

O.M.G. I am just saying. Aren't you all happy to be low carbers when we can make stuff like this?

Barbo 03-04-2011 02:51 PM

Wow you are da bomb Char.

This really looks so good.....Three or four cherries on the top would
be awesome. You need to stay home and keep these wonderful
things coming...your kimchee recipe looked super too.

EveH 03-04-2011 04:17 PM

I'm going for a SF orange marmalade one. mmmmmm

That Girl 03-04-2011 04:54 PM

This just put a big smile on my face! Does anybody know the carb count? Charski you are such a great addition to this board! Thanks for all your hard work!

That Girl 03-04-2011 04:59 PM

Can I use guar gum instead of xanthum gum? Thanks!

jerikay 03-04-2011 05:25 PM

This looks soooo good! I need to get me some brown sugar sub. Diabetisweet. That's the only ingredient I don't have on hand. Would adding a little blackstrap molasses to regular diabetisweet do the job?

Charski 03-04-2011 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by That Girl (Post 14437619)
This just put a big smile on my face! Does anybody know the carb count? Charski you are such a great addition to this board! Thanks for all your hard work!

Aw, thanks! :blush: Sorry, I don't know the carb count - in maintenance, I just know what I CAN and CANNOT eat - maybe some kind soul will run it through Mastercook or something?! :aprayer:

Quote:

Originally Posted by That Girl (Post 14437638)
Can I use guar gum instead of xanthum gum? Thanks!

I don't see why not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerikay (Post 14437763)
This looks soooo good! I need to get me some brown sugar sub. Diabetisweet. That's the only ingredient I don't have on hand. Would adding a little blackstrap molasses to regular diabetisweet do the job?

I don't see why not! :)

fourstubbs 03-04-2011 07:35 PM

I don't have a muffin top pan, so can I just put mounds of the batter on a baking sheet? Do you think it will be thick enough? TIA...

pooticus 03-04-2011 07:52 PM

Holy smokes Batman! :eek: :stars: That looks amazing!!!

LindaSue 03-05-2011 06:40 AM

I think this is pretty close:

Per Danish with cherry filling: 248 Calories; 20g Fat; 10g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 10g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs

Per Danish without cherry filling: 228 Calories; 20g Fat; 10g Protein; 12.5g Carbohydrate; 10g Dietary Fiber; 2.5g Net Carbs

Charski 03-05-2011 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourstubbs (Post 14438082)
I don't have a muffin top pan, so can I just put mounds of the batter on a baking sheet? Do you think it will be thick enough? TIA...

MAYbe if you leave out the extra water....

Quote:

Originally Posted by pooticus (Post 14438125)
Holy smokes Batman! :eek: :stars: That looks amazing!!!

Oh Pooti, try these, you'll love them I promise!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaSue (Post 14438771)
I think this is pretty close:

Per Danish with cherry filling: 248 Calories; 20g Fat; 10g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 10g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs

Per Danish without cherry filling: 228 Calories; 20g Fat; 10g Protein; 12.5g Carbohydrate; 10g Dietary Fiber; 2.5g Net Carbs

THANK YOU, LindaSue - :hugs: :notwrthy: :up:

CarolynF 03-05-2011 08:48 AM

These look great and my next baking experiment. :) Thanks.

jigglenomore 03-05-2011 08:55 AM

*THUD* (Falls to floor in happy shock!)...wish there was a "like" button on these threads to click like on Facebook! Can't wait to try these, Charski! Thanks so very much! :clap:

drjlocarb 03-05-2011 12:51 PM

I made cream cheese danish today. YUM.

I need to get another muffin top pan because I made 1/2 recipe and there was enough batter to make 9-10 danishes.

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 03-05-2011 01:16 PM

Charski, these look great, going immediately into my Demy. Julie

Charski 03-05-2011 01:54 PM

Drj, your muffin top pan must not hold as much as mine, or else the filling displaced more batter than the cherry - I got 12 from that recipe.

So how'd you do the filling? NO PICTURES?! :annoyed: :laugh:

Nigel 03-05-2011 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 14436292)
This is an adaptation of a Cinnamon Roll recipe that Barbo sent me - it may well have originated on this forum, not sure to whom to credit it! Anyway I doubled and tweaked and came up with this one:

Cherry Danish

Dry ingredients

1 cup almond flour
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vital wheat gluten
1/2 cup oat fiber
2/3 cup Designer Whey plain or vanilla protein powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon glucomannan powder (or just use 1 tsp. xanthan gum total and delete glu powder)
1/4 tsp. NuNaturals NuStevia 0 Carb stevia powder
1/4 cup Diabetisweet brown sugar substitute
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (I actually use Trader Joe's 3 cheese blend)

Wet Ingredients

4 eggs
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light oil - I use rice bran oil or grapeseed oil
1/4 cup sugarfree Torani or DaVinci vanilla syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup water

Topping

1 can no sugar added cherry pie filling

Icing

4 oz. softened cream cheese
Sweetener to taste
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Enough heavy cream to thin to a squeezable consistency

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350*. Spray or grease 12 muffin top pan wells.

Stir all dry ingredients except cheese together in a medium bowl; once well-combined, stir in the cheese.

Mix all wet ingredients together in a 2 cup glass measure til well blended. Mix dry and wet ingredients together thoroughly, scraping sides and bottom of bolw, and let sit for 5 minutes. Divide evenly into 12 muffin top pan wells. Spread to fill the pan wells. Top each with about a heaping teaspoon of the cherry pie filling - I leave some of the gloppy stuff behind and try to concentrate on getting 3 or 4 cherries on each Danish.

Bake at 350* for about 15 minutes, til the batter is set and turning golden brown.

Let cool in the pan 10 minutes, then carefully remove to a rack to finish cooling. I find a plastic spatula helps get them out of the pans - loosen around the edges first, then run spatula gently under the Danish.

To ice - beat together the softened cream cheese, sweetener, vanilla, and enough cream to make an icing consistency. You don't want it too runny but not so thick that you can't pipe it out either. Spoon into a sandwich baggie, snip off a TINY corner, twist the icing down into the bottom of the baggie and pipe onto the Danish.

Makes 12.

You could use no sugar added pie filling in whatever flavors you like. I have some apple, which I'll try next, and some peach too. They're not easy to find but I got the cherry and apple at WalMart, their Good Value brand, and the peach from Netrition, I believe it's Steel's brand.

I'm also gonna try this with some SF jam, thinned out with a bit of water, one time soon!

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL10.../395523925.jpg

DROOL!!!!!!!

drjlocarb 03-05-2011 04:52 PM

I think my pans are small. I have had this problem with other recipes. I did the cinn roll recipe and the rolls were huge and flopped over the sides so much they almost touched each other.

The filling (Makes too much, but I didn't know how to half 1 egg)
5 oz cream cheese
1 egg
1/2 c powdered E
1 t. fiberfit

I knew I would have to make more than 6 in the muffin top pan(1T. cream cheese mix in each), so I made 4 in a regular muffin pan and added the extra cream cheese mix to the top of those.

Pictures???:hyst: My camera has FILM! I am a computer idiot! They were beautiful, if I do say so myself.

crazywoman-n-wy 03-05-2011 05:40 PM

Thanks for the recipe w/tweaks Charski!! Looks & sounds great!!! :cool: Love cherry "pie", etc, but the carb count is a little high for me with the cherry filling. http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...miley_sigh.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglenomore (Post 14439246)
*THUD* (Falls to floor in happy shock!)...wish there was a "like" button on these threads to click like on Facebook! Can't wait to try these, Charski! Thanks so very much! :clap:

Yes they do jigglenomore!!! I keep trying to click it too, but none to click. :laugh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by drjlocarb (Post 14440347)
I think my pans are small. I have had this problem with other recipes. I did the cinn roll recipe and the rolls were huge and flopped over the sides so much they almost touched each other.

The filling (Makes too much, but I didn't know how to half 1 egg)
5 oz cream cheese
1 egg
1/2 c powdered E
1 t. fiberfit

I knew I would have to make more than 6 in the muffin top pan(1T. cream cheese mix in each), so I made 4 in a regular muffin pan and added the extra cream cheese mix to the top of those.

Thanks for this recipe too drj..!!!

Tweaker Geek 03-06-2011 07:44 AM

Char - I'm having friends in for coffee next week and made some blueberry muffins; but now I think they may stay in the freezer and I'll make these. They look awesome! Great recipe, thanks for sharing!:clap:

Could you post or give me a link to Barbo's cinnamon roll recipe?

Charski 03-06-2011 09:00 AM

Tweak, just found out this morning that this is Anita's cinnamon roll:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...mon-rolls.html

Barbo had emailed it to me a while back and I couldn't remember whom she said she had gotten it from. So - THANKS ANITA! :hugs:

DH loves this Danish. We had them for breakfast this morning, and even *I* said I couldn't think of anything that would improve them! The ultimate from a tweaker, huh?! :laugh:

fourstubbs 03-06-2011 04:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I made them...and I love them. They are good!! I made them with cream cheese fillling...and I think I did ok, considering I don't have a muffin top pan!! I did leave out the water in the recipe...I was afraid they would run all over...but they worked out fine! I plan to put a teaspoon of sf jam on the top also...Thanks Char!! Here are some pictures:

Attachment 36822 Attachment 36821