Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: raini
WOE: mostly raw vegan
Start Date: February 2013
NEED HELP WITH A BEEF BRISKET!

Dh wants to roast a beef brisket for company on Saturday, and prefers to cook it using our Ronco Showtime Rotisserie. The recipe book they provide tells us nothing about beef briskets, or even if we can roast one on there. I'm sure we can, but I don't know if we should sear it first, and I don't know how long it needs to cook. (It's about 6 or 7 pounds... pretty big.)
Dh wants to be sure it is moist and tender... not all dried out like a friend did last time.

I'd appreciate any suggestions!

TIA

Raini
raini is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I would like to know this also. I have only cooked them in a crockpot.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: momacat
I would think that this cut of meat is better braised.
momacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spirilis
Stats: 265/230/200; 5'11"
WOE: N.Ketosis
Start Date: Dec 2010
I've done it in a Big Green Egg, i.e. insulated charcoal & wood smoker/grill. The first one was tough and dry b/c I hadn't calibrated the temperature gauge and it was off by 70F as I found out later. Second one was amazing.

The general rule of thumb is 1-1.5 hours of cook time per pound of meat, assuming you're slow-cooking it around 200-225F. I'd err on the side of lower temperature and longer time. The cut is usually a big flat piece, not sure how that will work on a rotisserie but maybe it's possible. My BGE I use the plate setter (for indirect cooking) with the normal porcelain-coated grill and lay it down with the fatty side up (so it "self bastes" a bit). From what I gather the brisket is a very tough meat (chest muscle, used very heavily by the cow) so it requires very low temperature, slow cooking to tenderize it. Higher-temperature quick-cooked brisket's probably the fodder of leather-eating british sailors from the 1600's.

Another piece of advice I've read is that while you can obviously tell where the "grain" runs through the meat before it's cooked, it's very difficult to tell after it's cooked and brisket looks best when you cut across (perpendicular) to the grain, so a typical technique is to give it a notch across the grain beforehand to remind you how to cut it once it's cooked.

PS- I guess braising would work well.

Last edited by spirilis; 03-03-2011 at 06:23 PM..
spirilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That seems to be the general consensus. I'll have to break the news to dh. He had me post here, and has also had me call several different friends. They don't all agree on how to cook it, but they all agree how NOT to cook it... on the rotisserie! LOL

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Brisket of Beef

This is my aunt Sadie's brisket of beef that she taught me to make
about 60 years ago. It's the best. I'm telling the truth.
Texans know how to BBQ brisket. This is our fav. low carb way,
and I make chayote potato pancakes to go with it and some sweet
and sour red cabbage. Voila....The juices that the recipe produces
is dark brown and delicious.

Title: Aunt Sadie's Brisket of Beef Categories: Main dish, Beef, Jewish, Holiday Yield: 8 servings
3 Large onions* 8 Whole allspice Salt and pepper Garlic powder Hungarian paprika
5,6 lb. brisket; Flat cut *Sliced paper thin (3 onions is not a typo)
**Gravy
>>> The following is my favorite brisket recipe and it really does come from my Aunt Sadie's kitchen:
Remove any excess fat from brisket, but leave a little on top. Place one half of the onions on bottom of pan. Season the brisket with a salt, pepper, garlic powder and lots of Hungarian paprika. Place brisket on top of onions, then other half of onions and allspice on top of the brisket. Add ½ c. water. Cover and roast in a 325 degree F. oven for 3 hours. Test your brisket and when it is fork tender, take it out. Let it cool and then slice it very thin. Strain juice and either thicken it with a little cornstarch or serve it au jus. You will have a very dark brown juice. NOTE: *Best when made one day in advance. Aunt Sadie almost always served this with savory noodle kugel. I also serve it with roasted, boiled or mashed potatoes. Use a good roasting pan with a lid that fits well or covered with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Spray pan and inside of lid with Pam. MMMMM Discard the whole allspice (never used powdered allspice)
*When it is cool, slice it very thin across the grain. Fix the gravy.
Lay slices in a re-heatable type pan and lay gravy on bottom then slices,
gravy and slices until you have used it all up. Cover tightly and refrigerate
over night.
**Gravy:
The onions and juices are dark and thick, I strain out the whole allspice,
Then place the entire mixture into the blender. Get it smooth, transfer
To a cooking pot and thicken with cornstarch slurry. Taste for seasoning.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #7
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Brisket is a tough cut of meat that needs low and slow cooking to be at its best. I'd never try it in the rotisserie!

We do ours on the smoker, in the crockpot or pressure cooker, or in a slow oven (300*) covered with foil and with liquid in the pan (beer usually) until it's tender, then I uncover, crank the heat up to 375* and let it brown up a bit.

It's NOT fun to eat chewy brisket!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: christyjo
WOE: low carb
Start Date: restart 8/08
LindaSue has a wonderful (and foolproof for me!) recipe on her site, I have made it many times, in fact we had leftovers last night from the one I did on Sunday. It requires only one ingredient, and that is Woody's Cookin' Sauce. I found it at Safeway. It is excellent! My Safeway only carries trimmed brisket around 6 pounds, so I don't have to cut anything off. We do add sauce to it after cooking, and have it on tortillas. Yum.

OVEN-SMOKED BRISKET
7-8 pound whole, untrimmed brisket
1/2 13-ounce jar Woody's Cook-in' Sauce *

Trim the thick, hard fat from the brisket, keeping a thin layer of the softer fat. Place the brisket in a large foil-lined roasting pan large enough to lay meat flat. If the meat is too large, cut in half and rearrange to fit. Rub Woody's sauce all over both sides of the brisket to coat completely. Place fat-side down and roast, uncovered, at 275º for 1 hour. Turn the meat over, cover the pan with foil and roast another 5 hours at 250º. Let stand 30 minutes before slicing in thin slices against the grain.

Makes about 12 servings
Can be frozen

* Woody's Cook-in' Sauce is made in Louisiana and I can buy it here in the Houston area. If you can't find Woody's where you live, look for a brisket basting sauce or marinade that has smoke flavoring and only 3 net carbs per 2 tablespoons. Woody's does have some sugar in it, but it's fairly low on the list. Woody's is quite good carb-wise compared to the 17 carbs per 2 tablespoons of regular barbecue sauces. I've seen Woody's at Kroger as well as Wal-Mart.

Per Serving: 375 Calories; 19g Fat; 47g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 1.5g Net Carbs

Woody's Cook-in' Sauce was recommended by a friend and it makes an oven roasted brisket taste like it was slow smoked. After seeing how much was left of my original 7 1/2 pounds of raw meat, I think you should buy about 1/2-3/4 pound of uncooked brisket per person you'll be serving. This allows for the removal of 2-3 pounds of fat and shrinkage.

Thanks LindaSue for another winner!

christyjo
christyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:39 AM   #9
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raini View Post
Dh wants to roast a beef brisket for company on Saturday, and prefers to cook it using our Ronco Showtime Rotisserie. The recipe book they provide tells us nothing about beef briskets, or even if we can roast one on there. I'm sure we can, but I don't know if we should sear it first, and I don't know how long it needs to cook. (It's about 6 or 7 pounds... pretty big.)
Dh wants to be sure it is moist and tender... not all dried out like a friend did last time.

I'd appreciate any suggestions!

TIA Raini

You can roast a brisket in the oven but I agree that on a Rotisserie is will become like shoe leather. It needs to be either smoked or roasted for a long time to become tender and moist.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:00 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sonofabeach
Stats: 240/205/185
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart: 08/09
Low and slow is the way to go. I've cooked them in the oven and in a smoker. Like the smoked best, but oven cooked is good. I put it in the oven before going to bed, cover it with foil, and let it cook all night at 200 to 225. Wake up to the smell of cooked brisket and have delicious tender juicy brisket for breakfast!
Sonofabeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I'm a brisket expert..LOLO..Brisket is very tough cuz it's the neck of the beef..

The absolute best way to cook it after you have marinated it..I used liquid smoke..nommie is to heat your oven to 250, put the brisket in a 9 x 13 pan and wrap it with foil nice and tight..Then cook it for 5 or 6 hours until it is fork tender.

Let it cool for an hour..then slice against the grain. I mix LC barbecue sauce and beef broth in a saucepan..add spices and some splenda.

Put your sliced brisket in a clean 9 x 13 and pour the barbecue mix over the slices, put foil over and re-heat in the oven..

It is marvelously tender and flavorful..

I think you can smoke brisket, but I have never heard of grilling it..There is lots of fat
in the brisket and you will have alot of melted fat in your pan..

Good luck.

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
This is my aunt Sadie's brisket of beef that she taught me to make
about 60 years ago. It's the best. I'm telling the truth.
Texans know how to BBQ brisket. This is our fav. low carb way,
and I make chayote potato pancakes to go with it and some sweet
and sour red cabbage. Voila....The juices that the recipe produces
is dark brown and delicious.

Title: Aunt Sadie's Brisket of Beef Categories: Main dish, Beef, Jewish, Holiday Yield: 8 servings
3 Large onions* 8 Whole allspice Salt and pepper Garlic powder Hungarian paprika
5,6 lb. brisket; Flat cut *Sliced paper thin (3 onions is not a typo)
**Gravy
>>> The following is my favorite brisket recipe and it really does come from my Aunt Sadie's kitchen:
Remove any excess fat from brisket, but leave a little on top. Place one half of the onions on bottom of pan. Season the brisket with a salt, pepper, garlic powder and lots of Hungarian paprika. Place brisket on top of onions, then other half of onions and allspice on top of the brisket. Add ½ c. water. Cover and roast in a 325 degree F. oven for 3 hours. Test your brisket and when it is fork tender, take it out. Let it cool and then slice it very thin. Strain juice and either thicken it with a little cornstarch or serve it au jus. You will have a very dark brown juice. NOTE: *Best when made one day in advance. Aunt Sadie almost always served this with savory noodle kugel. I also serve it with roasted, boiled or mashed potatoes. Use a good roasting pan with a lid that fits well or covered with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Spray pan and inside of lid with Pam. MMMMM Discard the whole allspice (never used powdered allspice)
*When it is cool, slice it very thin across the grain. Fix the gravy.
Lay slices in a re-heatable type pan and lay gravy on bottom then slices,
gravy and slices until you have used it all up. Cover tightly and refrigerate
over night.
**Gravy:
The onions and juices are dark and thick, I strain out the whole allspice,
Then place the entire mixture into the blender. Get it smooth, transfer
To a cooking pot and thicken with cornstarch slurry. Taste for seasoning.
Thanks for the recipe. Sounds delicious!

Why no powdered allspice? I trust you know best and I believe you, but wondering why not?
Old 03-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyjo View Post
LindaSue has a wonderful (and foolproof for me!) recipe on her site, I have made it many times, in fact we had leftovers last night from the one I did on Sunday. It requires only one ingredient, and that is Woody's Cookin' Sauce. I found it at Safeway. It is excellent! My Safeway only carries trimmed brisket around 6 pounds, so I don't have to cut anything off. We do add sauce to it after cooking, and have it on tortillas. Yum.

OVEN-SMOKED BRISKET
7-8 pound whole, untrimmed brisket
1/2 13-ounce jar Woody's Cook-in' Sauce *

Trim the thick, hard fat from the brisket, keeping a thin layer of the softer fat. Place the brisket in a large foil-lined roasting pan large enough to lay meat flat. If the meat is too large, cut in half and rearrange to fit. Rub Woody's sauce all over both sides of the brisket to coat completely. Place fat-side down and roast, uncovered, at 275º for 1 hour. Turn the meat over, cover the pan with foil and roast another 5 hours at 250º. Let stand 30 minutes before slicing in thin slices against the grain.

Makes about 12 servings
Can be frozen

* Woody's Cook-in' Sauce is made in Louisiana and I can buy it here in the Houston area. If you can't find Woody's where you live, look for a brisket basting sauce or marinade that has smoke flavoring and only 3 net carbs per 2 tablespoons. Woody's does have some sugar in it, but it's fairly low on the list. Woody's is quite good carb-wise compared to the 17 carbs per 2 tablespoons of regular barbecue sauces. I've seen Woody's at Kroger as well as Wal-Mart.

Per Serving: 375 Calories; 19g Fat; 47g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 1.5g Net Carbs

Woody's Cook-in' Sauce was recommended by a friend and it makes an oven roasted brisket taste like it was slow smoked. After seeing how much was left of my original 7 1/2 pounds of raw meat, I think you should buy about 1/2-3/4 pound of uncooked brisket per person you'll be serving. This allows for the removal of 2-3 pounds of fat and shrinkage.

Thanks LindaSue for another winner!

christyjo
Woody's will have to go on my list for our next trip to the mainland. We live on an island with just one little "mom and pop" style grocery store. I don't think you'll find Woody's there! But thanks so much for the recipe. Not sure why I didn't check Linda Sue's site!
Old 03-04-2011, 01:33 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
I'm a brisket expert..LOLO..Brisket is very tough cuz it's the neck of the beef..

The absolute best way to cook it after you have marinated it..I used liquid smoke..nommie is to heat your oven to 250, put the brisket in a 9 x 13 pan and wrap it with foil nice and tight..Then cook it for 5 or 6 hours until it is fork tender.

Let it cool for an hour..then slice against the grain. I mix LC barbecue sauce and beef broth in a saucepan..add spices and some splenda.

Put your sliced brisket in a clean 9 x 13 and pour the barbecue mix over the slices, put foil over and re-heat in the oven..

It is marvelously tender and flavorful..

I think you can smoke brisket, but I have never heard of grilling it..There is lots of fat
in the brisket and you will have alot of melted fat in your pan..

Good luck.
We have a huge picnic on the island once a year, and have wonderful brisket served. It must be smoked, but I think dh figured it was grilled. In any case, I've convinced him that it needs to go in the oven--- thanks to the responses I've gotten here!
Old 03-04-2011, 01:35 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofabeach View Post
Low and slow is the way to go. I've cooked them in the oven and in a smoker. Like the smoked best, but oven cooked is good. I put it in the oven before going to bed, cover it with foil, and let it cook all night at 200 to 225. Wake up to the smell of cooked brisket and have delicious tender juicy brisket for breakfast!
Finally got dh to give up the rotisserie idea, and we will be cooking it at 200 degrees in the oven. Thanks for your help!
Old 03-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Powdered Allspice

It does not taste the same.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!