Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: WildflowerMama
Stats: 185.5/143.2/revised to 140
Start Date: Nov 2006
Cracker with coconut flour - no nuts?

Does anyone make crackers with coconut flour only - no nut flours in the recipe?
WildflowerMama is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
haven't used coconut flour, but I love the flaxseed crackers--
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: WildflowerMama
Stats: 185.5/143.2/revised to 140
Start Date: Nov 2006
Found one! I haven't tried it but, it sounds good.

Coconut Flour Seed Crackers

These are quick and the seasonings can be tailored to blend with whatever you’ll be serving them with. Try fennel and red pepper with Italian or Indian food. The thicker you roll them out, the more like biscuits they will be. For a crispier texture, roll thinner and bake a little longer. They taste amazing hot out of the oven with fresh butter.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

1 cup coconut flour
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon mustard
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup freshly grated imported parmesan cheese
3 eggs
2 tablespoon seeds of choice, sesame, poppy, fennel, red pepper flakes
Mix the flour and salt then work the butter in with your fingers or a pastry cutter until small crumbs are formed. Add the mustard, cheeses and eggs and work the dough until it forms a ball. Wrap and refrigerate for one hour or overnight. Take a walnut size piece of dough in your palm and flatted, put on a work surface and gently roll with a rolling pin to desired thickness (the thicker the crackers the more like biscuits – the thinner, more crispy). Sprinkle with salt and seeds, press with rolling pin or your palm and transfer with a spatula to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake 8-10 minutes.

Serve within a day or store in an airtight container.

Serves 4-6

Losing weight is hard, but being fat is harder. Choose your hard.

Don't sit if you can stand. Don't stand if you can walk. Don't walk if you can run. Get Moving!
WildflowerMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:33 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
If you make them, let me us know how they turn out, please.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:47 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
I saved this recipe awhile back but never made them but it does take some almond flour. Not sure if you could use ALL coconut flour or sub it out with another flour.

Cheese Crackers

This is a delicious wheat-free, sugar-free snack that is quick and easy to make. They look like cookies with a crispy cookie-like texture but the taste is distinctly that of a cracker.

1/2 cup sifted coconut flour
1/2 cup almond flour *
2 eggs
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

Blend together almond flour, eggs, butter, salt and cheese. Add coconut flour and kneed the dough in your hands for 2 to 3 minutes. Form dough into 1 inch balls, place on an ungreased cookie sheet and flatten to a diameter of about 2 to 2-1/2 inches. Bake at 400F for 15 minutes. These crackers taste best straight from oven and slightly crisp. Leftover crackers can be reheated at 400F for about 4 minutes. Makes about 16 crackers.

Almond flour can be replaced with nut meal if desired. To make nut meal grind raw nuts in a food processor. You may use almonds, pecans, walnuts or any nut of your choice.
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildflowerMama View Post
Found one! I haven't tried it but, it sounds good.

Coconut Flour Seed Crackers

These are quick and the seasonings can be tailored to blend with whatever you’ll be serving them with. Try fennel and red pepper with Italian or Indian food. The thicker you roll them out, the more like biscuits they will be. For a crispier texture, roll thinner and bake a little longer. They taste amazing hot out of the oven with fresh butter.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

1 cup coconut flour
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon mustard
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup freshly grated imported parmesan cheese
3 eggs
2 tablespoon seeds of choice, sesame, poppy, fennel, red pepper flakes
Mix the flour and salt then work the butter in with your fingers or a pastry cutter until small crumbs are formed. Add the mustard, cheeses and eggs and work the dough until it forms a ball. Wrap and refrigerate for one hour or overnight. Take a walnut size piece of dough in your palm and flatted, put on a work surface and gently roll with a rolling pin to desired thickness (the thicker the crackers the more like biscuits – the thinner, more crispy). Sprinkle with salt and seeds, press with rolling pin or your palm and transfer with a spatula to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake 8-10 minutes.

Serve within a day or store in an airtight container.

Serves 4-6

I don't want to sound discouraging, but a cup of coconut flour would require a lot more than 3 eggs. Most of the recipes I've made with coconut flour never use more than 1/4 or 1/3 cup because it soaks up the liquid so much. I don't think this recipe has enough liquid for a cup of coconut flour. JMHO
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I found this on another board.

Candice's Low Carb Italian Garlic Cheese Crackers

I've been craving crackers so came up with this recipe.
When I rolled mine out I did not dived dough into two balls. For me this make a more uneven baking. I got some in the middle that were not cooked quite enough. So in the recipe I put to divide dough in half then roll out.

A nice quick crunchy snack full of fiber and protein!

You can even use these as breading. I really loved them crushed up and then used as breading for pork chops. I'm sure it would be just as good with chicken too! I just used 1 egg to dip in then coated with the crushed crackers.

I was thinking too as I was tasting these.. you could totally change up flavor and come up with whatever kind of cracker you want. Maybe using chicken stock instead of water. I used to love those chicken flavored crackers! And maybe even a sweet cracker using splenda and cinnamon. I can definitely see potential in this recipe!

Hope you enjoy!

Ingredients:
3 Tablespoons coconut flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
2 Tablespoons (1oz) unsalted butter, frozen
1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese (about 2 oz)
1/4 cup cold water

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 400F

In a large bowl combine coconut flour, salt, garlic, Italian seasoning, and baking powder.
Mix with hands until combined.
Grate in butter and mix with fingers until crumbly. Add cheese and water. Mix until dough forms.
(I do not own a food processor so if you do you can do this in there)
Divide dough in half. Form each half in to a ball with your hands. Lay each ball of dough on a piece of parchment paper(the size of your baking sheet) and place another piece of parchment paper on top. Roll dough to about 1/6" thick. If you find it easier to roll out using two smaller sheets of paper you can do this as well.
Cut into squares and poke with fork. No need to move the dough after cutting just leave as 1 whole piece. They will brake apart after baking.

You can brush crackers with an egg wash if you want. I didn't though but you would get more even browning if you do. Recipe nutritional information does not include egg.

Bake at 400F for 13-16 minutes.

Let cool on baking sheet before removing.

Can be stored in air tight container for up to 5 days.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote