Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lucky4
Stats: Size 20-22/-31.6 lbs /Size 8-10 Right under 5'8"
WOE: Back to Protein Power (LCer for a long time)
Start Date: Restart Feb 1, 2011
What makes sugar-free syrup thick?

I used to make my own syrups but sugar was the thickening agent. Are there any suggestions for making a thicker sugar-free syrup without using things like "other syrups"?

I found one recipe that just uses water and Splenda--but I can't help but think it's like pouring water on things

Thanks
Lucky4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky4 View Post
I used to make my own syrups but sugar was the thickening agent. Are there any suggestions for making a thicker sugar-free syrup without using things like "other syrups"?

I found one recipe that just uses water and Splenda--but I can't help but think it's like pouring water on things

Thanks
Hi Lucky…
I would guess guar gum or Xanthan Gum, but it gets really tricky with the ''gums'' so you don't end up with slimy texture instead of thick texture.

Our low carb pancake syrup has ''Cellulose gum'' in it (among many other things with scientific names) and our low carb Chocolate Sauce has ''Xanthan Gum''.

I know of no 'natural' way as with sugar to just cook and thicken without the risk of turning it solid (as in cooking with Isomalt powder) A man who used to experiment with such in the Recipe was KevinPA (recently passed away). He posted most of his recipes and attempts in the Lowcarb Recipe Help section of the forum.

…The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese…
ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:11 PM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
yes, those syrups are very watery, for use in coffee and things, not the pouring kind. I have done a lot of thickening with various things, and I don't believe you could get a good syrup texture that way. Larry is right, the gums would get very slimy at some point. you could do it with erythritol, but it would need to be used fairly soon. that stuff crystallizes really quickly compared to sugar.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:37 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
You can try glucomannan/konjac, but it's tricky getting the right amount. A little goes a LONG way, and too much can make it a bit yucky. Also, stir like you're mad at somebody!
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:56 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jennywren
I've done it a few times for using as a "drizzle" to enhance slices of lemon cheesecake, with a VERY light sprinkling of Xanthan gum over the top surface of 3/4 cup or so of the raspberry SF syrup + a tsp or so lemon juice. Using a tiny whisk, keep whisking quickly & diligently. If it doesn't seem to be thickening, use another very light sprinkling--whisk & whisk & whisk some more. I also found that upon standing for awhile in the fridge, it became thicker. I only used the lightest of sprinkles each time. It was barely visible on the surface of the syrup--they've said here that it will clump together in a glob, if you use much at a time. Mine was not at all slimy, but they've also said if you use too much it can get that way.
I just did it at room temp--did not heat it at all.

I guess the test of it was that I took it to a HC family gathering and they all loved it...asked where to buy that sauce? They thought it was an ice cream topping syrup. And it's good that way too, I found.

HTH, Jen
Jennywren is offline   Reply With Quote