Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nekkidfish
Mashed Potatoes

Can everyone share their mashed potato (mock) recipes please?

I tried doing the cauliflower kind, but maybe I did someting wrong, as it just tasted like mashed cauliflower to us ... certainly not mashed potatoes.

So, what's the secret to *losing* the cauliflower taste?

Or, is there a powdered mix that is worth trying?

Thanks and HUGz! Jules
nekkidfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Mashed cauliflower is going to taste just like mashed cauliflower lol there is no hiding the taste. You can change it up by adding cream cheese, cheddar onion, chives, bacon..but it' will always taste like cauliflower.
You could try the dixie diner mashed potatoes, I have never tried them so I don't know if they're any good.
I am diabetic so I just eat to control my sugars, I can eat a small potato with no problems but I know most people who eat low carb won't touch one.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
Mashed cauliflower is going to taste just like mashed cauliflower lol there is no hiding the taste. You can change it up by adding cream cheese, cheddar onion, chives, bacon..but it' will always taste like cauliflower.
You could try the dixie diner mashed potatoes, I have never tried them so I don't know if they're any good.
I am diabetic so I just eat to control my sugars, I can eat a small potato with no problems but I know most people who eat low carb won't touch one.
After losing 38 pounds, and down to a weight I hadn't been at since high school ... I started allowing myself a small tater here and there around Thanksgiving. It made my sugar levels nuts, and by Christmas I had put on 5 pounds. So, now I am again going 'no taters' here.

Everybody says that cauliflower is the best because it takes on the flavors of everything you add to it. I have not found that to be the case at all. It just tastes like cauliflower with stuff added to me.

I'll check out the Dixie Diner ones ... maybe they will hold a secret for me. I have always been a meat and taters kind of gal ... I miss taters!

HUGz! Jules
Old 02-17-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
I love mashed celeriac root. It looks like, and has the consistency of mashed potatoes. It has a celery flavor which I find delicious; in fact, I prefer celeriac root over mashed potatoes. The only drawback for me is that they're expensive - almost $5.00/lb in my area.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:13 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Just found this review on the Dixie Diner Mashers ... maybe those are the secret ingredient I need!!

"I haven't made these by themselves. I have however, used them to give my mashed cauliflower a better taste. Steam your cauliflower with salt, pepper. Drain, put it back on the stove in the hot pot to dry out a little. Add heavy cream, butter and 1/8 -1/4 cup of the Instant Mashers. OMG!! It completely changes the taste of the cauliflower and makes it so close to real homemade mashed potatoes. I've done the same thing using instant mashed potato flakes and you will not believe the difference it makes. Everyone tries to make it seem that mashed cauliflower is "just like mashed potatoes", but believe me, it is not. When you add the small amount of either instant flakes or Instant Mashers, it really does taste almost the same."
Old 02-17-2011, 12:14 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I have heard of people mixing the Dixies with the cauliflower to help with the taste of both.
drjlocarb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 31, 2003
I think some of us have taste buds that are more easily fooled than others. But here is the recipe that I believe comes the closest to the real thing. It's still cauliflower, but it's close...

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
sligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:37 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: happylabs
Start Date: June 1, 2010
I have been using frozen cauliflower all along. This week I got a head of fresh cauliflower and it is SO MUCH BETTER!

I made a roast in the crock pot awhile back and put the cauliflower in the crock pot with the meat about 40 minutes before it was done and, yes, the cauli took on the flavor of the meat. Sooooo good!

This week I made another roast in the crock pot but didn't get home until it was done cooking. I just nuked some fresh cauli in the microwave with some butter and ate it with gravy on. I didn't even mash it. Oh my, so good.

Maybe you just have to get used to having it instead of potatoes? I was thinking last night while I was eating my cauli that potatoes don't really have much of a flavor. We use butter on mashed and ketchup and salt on french fries. The potatoes are just a carrier for the good stuff.
happylabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I think the biggest thing with LC is to not expect something to taste "exactly like" a former high-carb favorite. Mostly you'll be disappointed.

I've learned to just like things for what they are - and I do like mashed cauliflower!

What I like even BETTER though is to microsteam a couple cut-up turnips and do that half and half with the cauliflower. It's NOT "just like mashed potatoes" but it IS really tasty!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:46 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
I just started a thread on this subject that may help you: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...r-recipes.html
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:50 PM   #11

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
yes, this is a confusion a lot of people have. when we call it faux mashed potatoes, we mean it is served like mashed potatoes would be. it doesn't taste like potatoes. nothing you should be eating taste like potatoes!

the secret is, there is nothing special about potatoes. they were a cheap crop that allowed people to get through long winters when nothing much would grow. no good reason to eat them nowadays!

one of our members the other day told that her normal weight husband commented that mashed cauliflower is a lot better than potatoes... not so heavy, doesn't sit like a lump in the stomach, and goes better with the cream cheese or sour cream or cheese used with it. think of it that way and rejoice that we are living in an age where we get this superior vegetable, cauliflower, and don't have to eat unhealthy potatoes anymore.

remember when potatoes were first brought to Europe from the New World, everyone thought they were poisonous for a long while. they were right!

good luck!
Old 02-17-2011, 12:52 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sligh View Post
I think some of us have taste buds that are more easily fooled than others. But here is the recipe that I believe comes the closest to the real thing. It's still cauliflower, but it's close...

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
No joke, I just ate that for lunch. It is a staple around here ... but it's cheesy cauliflower to us. LOL
Old 02-17-2011, 12:55 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
yes, this is a confusion a lot of people have. when we call it faux mashed potatoes, we mean it is served like mashed potatoes would be. it doesn't taste like potatoes. nothing you should be eating taste like potatoes!

the secret is, there is nothing special about potatoes. they were a cheap crop that allowed people to get through long winters when nothing much would grow. no good reason to eat them nowadays!

one of our members the other day told that her normal weight husband commented that mashed cauliflower is a lot better than potatoes... not so heavy, doesn't sit like a lump in the stomach, and goes better with the cream cheese or sour cream or cheese used with it. think of it that way and rejoice that we are living in an age where we get this superior vegetable, cauliflower, and don't have to eat unhealthy potatoes anymore.

remember when potatoes were first brought to Europe from the New World, everyone thought they were poisonous for a long while. they were right!

good luck!
I really do try ... but I think my brain is hard wired wrong.

I will try the cauli again, and add some of the Dixie Diner Mashers, and maybe that will help.

Now, where is a good gravy recipe?

HUGz! Jules
Old 02-17-2011, 02:23 PM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Since my dd gave me an immersion blender, my caulitaters have been fabulous..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:09 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
I agree with most everything said on this thread. There's no reason it has to be cauliflower. You can try celery root, as Redeemed mentioned, or chayote, turnips, daikon radish, jicama, or any other low carb whitish veg to see if any please you better than the cauliflower. I believe the chayote has the least flavor of any of the other substitutes.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote