Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Bacon Jalapeno "mac -n- cheese" (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/710284-bacon-jalapeno-mac-n-cheese.html)

Dottie 02-17-2011 07:23 AM

Bacon Jalapeno "mac -n- cheese"

I just saw this segment on great day houston and they made a bacon and jalapeno mac and cheese so I'm thinking:

(4-6 servings)
1 cup heavy cream, cook until reduced by about 1/3 or thickened
1/2 cup smoked cheddar cheese, shredded (they used smoked cheddar and smoked gouda)
salt and white pepper (i'd use black pepper, i'm not that picky lol)
1-2T olive oil (I'd sub at least half the bacon fat!)
1 small-ish fresh jalapeno diced fine (use the seeds and membranes if you want it spicy, or more peppers)
4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/4 cup diced onion
1lb frozen cauliflower steamed and chopped roughly into "elbow noodle" sized pieces

Reduce the cream and add the cheese, salt and pepper.
Saute the jalapeno, onion and cooked bacon in the olive oil until soft then add to the cream and cheese mix.
Add the cooked and drained cauliflower and mix well.

Bake? Maybe pour into a casserole and bake at 400 for 15 minutes to brown? Possibly add a little more cheese to the top for this step if you bake it.

cdilday 02-17-2011 08:04 AM

This sounds really good! I think this will definitely be lunch today, but will have to substitute regular cheddar (and add some liquid smoke?), and I have fresh cauliflower instead of frozen.

Thanks, Dottie!

mamagiff 02-17-2011 08:16 AM

That sounds delicious!

Pam 02-17-2011 08:30 AM

mmmmmm...thanks, Dottie!

drjlocarb 02-17-2011 08:57 AM

I think I will make this with Table Cream.

Charski 02-17-2011 09:05 AM

I just made mac 'n cheese with Dreamfields last night - which would also work in this recipe if you like/do Dreamfields!

This sounds good, Dottie. I'd probably throw in a little each garlic and onion powders too.

ravenrose 02-17-2011 09:34 AM

that sounds great. it could be lightened up a little, for people who need to, by thickening some cream (or cream and water) with glucommanan or guar or xanthan. makes me want to make it, but I am going to have to wait for cauliflower to come down in price a bit. It was $3.49 this week! impossible....

CherylB 02-17-2011 11:29 AM

Yum! Thank you.

cdilday 02-17-2011 01:09 PM

Thickened with glucommanan

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 14387632)
that sounds great. it could be lightened up a little, for people who need to, by thickening some cream (or cream and water) with glucommanan or guar or xanthan. makes me want to make it, but I am going to have to wait for cauliflower to come down in price a bit. It was $3.49 this week! impossible....

This was a wonderful lunch today.

I did not "reduce" the cream, but used a scant 1/2 tsp of glucommanan powder with the cold milk in a Netrition shaker bottle, and added that into my bacon, onion, and jalapeno mixture along with the cheese. As it warmed, I could tell it was getting a little too thick, so just added a bit of chicken broth until it was smooth and creamy.

Keeping this recipe for a terrific side dish to go with almost anything!

MsWoods 02-17-2011 01:28 PM

Raven I use frozen cauli for my mac. It's about 1.20 compared to fresh.

drjlocarb 04-05-2011 06:37 AM

I made this last night with 1 can Media Crema, 2 T. cream, and used broccoli and cauliflower.

This is very creamy and wonderful.