Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   HOMEMADE shirataki noodles (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/708488-homemade-shirataki-noodles.html)

RealFoodLiving 02-02-2011 06:45 AM

HOMEMADE shirataki noodles

Hey everyone!

I love the (non-tofu) shirataki noodles, but I run out pretty fast.

I found this recipe on the Konjac site. Has anyone ever tried this?

Quote:

Can Konjac pasta be made at home?

In addition to buying Konjac foods in the super market or online, you can them make them yourself. You can easily prepare Konjac foods at home using the following simple recipe:

Ingredients

* 2 teaspoon of glucomannan (contains 6 grams of soluble fiber.)
* 1/8 teaspoon of pickling lime, a food grade calcium hydroxide.

Procedure:
Pour 2 cups of cold water into a pot. Stir in a 1/8 teaspoon of pickling lime. Then, add 2 teaspoon of Konjac Glucomannan powder, stirring continuously to a boil. Boil the mixture for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. A thermally stable (non-reversible) gel is formed once the mixture cools down. Cut gel into small pieces, dip in water or steam about 3-5 minutes and then cook in the way you like.

Rachelocity 02-02-2011 06:54 AM

That's sheer shirataki genius! I'm thinking that pouring the mixture onto a half-sheet pan would make a thin, flat product that would be easy to cut into fettuccine with a pizza cutter. Another possibility would be to use a potato ricer as an extruder, then you'd have angel hair pasta. (This would mean working quickly, before the mixture sets up too much.)

ouizoid 02-02-2011 07:12 AM

if you check utube, (google glucomannan utube) there is some crazy guy who makes pan noodles with glucomannan powder. he basically pours broth in a fry pan, sprinkles glu powder on top and then pours a little more broth on top--it quickly makes a large shirataki pancake which he fries til crispy and then flips over.

I have duplicated this recipe, and then used a pizza cutter to make noodles--which are much thicker and more filling than the ones that come in te package... He also does another version of this where he uses pickle juice as his base liquid. I tried this once, and it was tooooo bizarre in flavour for me.

ouis

CarolynF 02-02-2011 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ouizoid (Post 14337775)
if you check utube, (google glucomannan utube) there is some crazy guy who makes pan noodles with glucomannan powder. he basically pours broth in a fry pan, sprinkles glu powder on top and then pours a little more broth on top--it quickly makes a large shirataki pancake which he fries til crispy and then flips over.

I have duplicated this recipe, and then used a pizza cutter to make noodles--which are much thicker and more filling than the ones that come in te package... He also does another version of this where he uses pickle juice as his base liquid. I tried this once, and it was tooooo bizarre in flavour for me.

ouis

I've watched his youtube and it is rather gross..I'm sure we could do much better.

We have to order the Konjac stuff on-line right???

RealFoodLiving 02-02-2011 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF (Post 14337924)
I've watched his youtube and it is rather gross..I'm sure we could do much better.

We have to order the Konjac stuff on-line right???

I agree, EEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! I wouldn't eat anything HE cooked!:sick:

Yes, I plan on mixing the powder at least! :laugh: I'm sure we could do a much better job, but it does give us the foundation.

I have not found it locally, only online, but some locals HFS might carry the pure glucomannan powder.

RealFoodLiving 02-02-2011 07:52 AM

I found some more info:

Quote:

How To Make Homemade Shirataki Noodles

Miracle Chicken Broccoli Alfredo

Basic Recipe
2 cups water
2 teaspoons glucomannan powder (scroll down to 3rd item)
1/8 teaspoon pickling lime
Savory Recipe
2 cups water
1 tablespoon powdered chicken broth
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Gourmet Recipe
2 cups water
1 tablespoon powdered chicken broth
1 tablespoon seasoning salt
1/4 cup finely minced green onion
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
If you want to make your own Miracle Noodles here’s how: Heat 2 cups water in a large nonstick saucepan. Stir in pickling lime until dissolved. If making the Savory or Gourmet recipes stir in other ingredients now.
Add glucomannan powder stirring continuously until mixture comes to a boil. Boil 3 minutes and remove from heat. A non-dissolving gel will be formed when the mixture cools down. When water is warm enough to touch you can form the Shirataki gel into a block or other shape.
Dice gel into cubes like tofu or process through a pasta maker for 0 carb noodles. Add cubes or noodles to a large bowl of water for 3-5 minutes, rinse and refrigerate in a covered container for about 3-4 weeks.
Tip: The pickling lime is needed for a chemical reaction to form the gel. You can buy it online or in grocery stores that sell canning supplies.

CarolynF 02-02-2011 07:55 AM

I don't think the youtube man used the pickling lime...just water or broth.

Netrition sells the Glucomannan capsules....I wonder if they can be used, just emptied out.

ouizoid 02-02-2011 08:30 AM

i buy the glucomannan from another site that sells miracle noodles. comes in a bag. I hope that is ok to say.

RealFoodLiving 02-02-2011 08:31 AM

ouizoid: You said you made the noodles. Did you use the PICKLING LIME?

ouizoid 02-02-2011 08:36 AM

nope--no lime at all. just about a cup or so of broth in a frying pan. sprinkled glu powder over the top--then more broth on top of that. let it set and then flipped it over. then cut into noodles using a pizza cutter. the noodles kind of stuck together, so maybe the lime helps with that. it was an interesting experiment--i like the flavour of the miracle noodles better--and they aren't so sticky--but if I need to eat and want no calories at all, i will make a pan of the glu noodles and top with some walden farms bbq sauce. Faux food!

RealFoodLiving 02-02-2011 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ouizoid (Post 14338249)
nope--no lime at all. just about a cup or so of broth in a frying pan. sprinkled glu powder over the top--then more broth on top of that. let it set and then flipped it over. then cut into noodles using a pizza cutter. the noodles kind of stuck together, so maybe the lime helps with that. it was an interesting experiment--i like the flavour of the miracle noodles better--and they aren't so sticky--but if I need to eat and want no calories at all, i will make a pan of the glu noodles and top with some walden farms bbq sauce. Faux food!

WOW, that's amazing! Thank you!

drjlocarb 02-02-2011 08:43 AM

I bought capsule and just dump them out. The brand I bought is 5 caps per teaspoon. I will buy the powder when these run out. I just wanted to try all this before I bought a bunch of the stuff. The caps are not cheaper, just easier to find around town.

So far I have just been making puddings.

CarolynF 02-02-2011 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drjlocarb (Post 14338287)
I bought capsule and just dump them out. The brand I bought is 5 caps per teaspoon. I will buy the powder when these run out. I just wanted to try all this before I bought a bunch of the stuff. The caps are not cheaper, just easier to find around town.

So far I have just been making puddings.

I can get the caps locally, too..:) Can you share your pudding recipe, please?

pepperette 02-02-2011 11:09 AM

I used to buy the miracle noodles by the case. Depending on what I was making, it lasted quite a while. I got the orzo style mostly.

maru2 02-02-2011 11:45 AM

drj....I would love the pudding recipe too please.

drjlocarb 02-02-2011 03:53 PM

PUDDING- Still working on it, but...

Mint chocolate

1 1/4 c. unsweetened choc. Almond Breeze
4 T. mint DaVinci
2 T. X or whatever sweetener to go with the choc
Mix these till X is dissolved, then taste add more sweetener if needed, then add-
4 caps Glucomannan
Whirled in the Bullet
Put in frig and it thickened as it sits. The next day all the Gluc was dissolved. Not that that effects the result, but you can see the grains at first. It takes about 20-30 min. for it to reach full thickness. Don't add more for at least 30 min.

Banana

1/2 c. DaVinci Banana
1/3 c. cream
pinch cinn.
1 t. Fiberfit
5 caps (1 t.) Glucomannan

Chocolate

1 c. Unsweet Choc Almond Breeze
1/4 c. cream
1 T. cocoa powder
sweetener to taste
3 caps Glucomannan
1/2 t. Xanthan gum

The Xanthan made it much thicker. Like a pie filling.

The more Bullet time I gave it, the more mousse- like it was. I think I whipped the cream.:rolleyes:

The mostly DaVinci one (banana) was smoother.

These do not freeze well. Well, they freeze, but SOLID! No easy ice cream in their future. :laugh:

None of these got that slimy thing like with the gums. But, not like cornstarch either.

You could make pudding from any flavor of DaVinci.
Butterscotch, Caramel, French Vanilla, etc.

maru2 02-02-2011 06:07 PM

Wow thanks they look delicious. Do you think they helped reduce your appetite?

drjlocarb 02-03-2011 06:58 AM

I don't eat a batch all at once, it will last 2-3 days.

CarolynF 02-15-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealFoodLiving (Post 14337659)
Hey everyone!

I love the (non-tofu) shirataki noodles, but I run out pretty fast.

I found this recipe on the Konjac site. Has anyone ever tried this?

I tried the recipe with 2 tsp of powder/2 cups of water/lime stuff..It did not
firm up, but was like slime.

I think this recipe needs way less water..Maybe like the guy in the youtube..

LOL

CarolynF 02-15-2011 02:09 PM

Okay...here's a different noodle making method..

Things You'll Need:
You'll need glucomannan flour, Pickling lime and a pasta making machine.
All you have to do is put one tablespoon of glucomannan powder in two cups of water, stir continuously and let boil. Let the water boil for three minutes.
Prepare lime water by adding 1/4 teaspoons of pickling lime in a bowl with 5 tablespoons of water, then add the lime to the boiling glucomannan flour all ready on the stove and stir for 5 more minutes off the flame. Adding lime water to the glucomannan flour is necessary to produce the gel texture you want.
After the mixture cools take the gel out and either cut in small pieces with a knife or cut it with a pasta making machine. Dip the noodles in water or steam for about 3-5 minutes and your done. Cook the noodles any way you want or store in a container of water

Read more: How to Make Shirataki Noodles | eHow.com How to Make Shirataki Noodles | eHow.com

RealFoodLiving 02-15-2011 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF (Post 14381617)
Okay...here's a different noodle making method..

Things You'll Need:
You'll need glucomannan flour, Pickling lime and a pasta making machine.
All you have to do is put one tablespoon of glucomannan powder in two cups of water, stir continuously and let boil. Let the water boil for three minutes.
Prepare lime water by adding 1/4 teaspoons of pickling lime in a bowl with 5 tablespoons of water, then add the lime to the boiling glucomannan flour all ready on the stove and stir for 5 more minutes off the flame. Adding lime water to the glucomannan flour is necessary to produce the gel texture you want.
After the mixture cools take the gel out and either cut in small pieces with a knife or cut it with a pasta making machine. Dip the noodles in water or steam for about 3-5 minutes and your done. Cook the noodles any way you want or store in a container of water

Read more: How to Make Shirataki Noodles | eHow.com How to Make Shirataki Noodles | eHow.com

YAY!!!!!!!!! This sounds easy-peasy! Did you try it?

CarolynF 02-15-2011 02:18 PM

Not yet...I'm heading upstairs to do it in a minute. The other recipe was way too watery and didn't set up right.

:) Let you guys know, k?

CarolynF 02-15-2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealFoodLiving (Post 14381622)
YAY!!!!!!!!! This sounds easy-peasy! Did you try it?

Just tried it..It was still quite wet, but better than the other one..I think less water might be the trick.

RealFoodLiving 02-15-2011 03:24 PM

Carolyn,

You know the guy in the You Tube video just poured liquid onto the powder and let it sit. I wonder if letting it sit for awhile has any benefit?

CarolynF 02-15-2011 03:32 PM

I did watch his videos..:( and yesterday I tried his method and it does work better than
the boiling method..I just have the capsules because I could get them locally. I think a tiny bit of the pickling lime could be mixed with the water..

Honestly, I don't know how peeps actually make the noodles using the boiling method..
I wish someone else would try it.

RealFoodLiving 02-15-2011 03:36 PM

I cannot get the powder locally either, so I'm trying to order it, but it will take awhile.

I hope others will try it as well!

CarolynF 02-15-2011 03:42 PM

I think Char ordered some powder, so maybe she will participate, too..:)

island girl2 02-19-2011 09:38 AM

glucomannan or konjac in Edmonton

Has anyone found a place to buy gluuomannan or konjac bulk in Edmonton?

Jambabob 03-07-2011 11:57 AM

Does the end product turn white lie the packaged noodles do?

pooticus 03-07-2011 12:59 PM

I think once you put in the lime you could pour a very thin coating of liquid into a lined sheet pan and have a thin noodle kind of effect that you could then send through your pasta machine to cut it?