Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!
 
LadyTexun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Just South of Awston :)
Posts: 1,451
Gallery: LadyTexun
Stats: 01-03-11 restart 222/212/175
WOE: Just Lo-Carb
Start Date: 01-'03 (again 01-2010, and again 1-'11)
Oat Fiber / Oat Bran

What is the difference between Oat Fiber and Oat Bran?
I purchased a very small amount of Oat Bran yesterday, the fellow who owns the health food store said they are the same, but I just wasn't sure so I only bought about 1/2 a pound. Didn't want to invest too much money until I checked here.

And if this info has already been posted, can someone just point me toward the original post??
LadyTexun is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
ouizoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,598
Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Oat fiber and Oat Bran are NOT the same. Oat fiber has had all the starch stripped from it and is only indigestible fiber and no digestible carbs. Oat bran still has starch.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!
 
LadyTexun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Just South of Awston :)
Posts: 1,451
Gallery: LadyTexun
Stats: 01-03-11 restart 222/212/175
WOE: Just Lo-Carb
Start Date: 01-'03 (again 01-2010, and again 1-'11)
Thanks ouizoid... I didn't think they were the same. You'd sort of expect the owner of a health food store that's been around for years to know that.
LadyTexun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
.
 
ravenrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 9,670
Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
if you look at the nutrition on the brands Netrition sells of these, the oat bran has 21 grams of net carbs per third cup, while the oat fiber has 0 grams per cup. I'm sure the oat bran is great in things, but not low carb.

I think the oat fiber is an extremely specialized product, normally only available to commercial bakeries and stuff? I am not surprised he hasn't heard of it. Netrition has a lot of very hard to find specialty low carb stuff for baking from this company.

Last edited by ravenrose; 01-30-2011 at 10:41 PM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!
 
LadyTexun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Just South of Awston :)
Posts: 1,451
Gallery: LadyTexun
Stats: 01-03-11 restart 222/212/175
WOE: Just Lo-Carb
Start Date: 01-'03 (again 01-2010, and again 1-'11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
if you look at the nutrition on the brands Netrition sells of these, the oat bran has 21 grams of net carbs per third cup, while the oat fiber has 0 grams per cup. I'm sure the oat bran is great in things, but not low carb.

I think the oat fiber is an extremely specialized product, normally only available to commercial bakeries and stuff? I am not surprised he hasn't heard of it. Netrition has a lot of very hard to find specialty low carb stuff for baking from this company.
His bulk bin wasn't labeled, I knew the oat fiber was 0 grams... that's OK. I only spent 64 cents

Thanks much for the help!!
LadyTexun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:56 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member
 
Aptos Gal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Aptos, California
Posts: 288
Gallery: Aptos Gal
Stats: 185/163/135
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: November 2007
I'm glad to read this, I was wondering myself what the difference was. Thanks.
Aptos Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:39 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,685
Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
What can I make with oat fiber?? I am looking to put order into netrition soon.
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 39,537
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKat View Post
What can I make with oat fiber?? I am looking to put order into netrition soon.
I HIGHLY recommend this:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ns-w-pics.html
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4
Gallery: Lesley
Can I buy it in Arizona?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Oat fiber and Oat Bran are NOT the same. Oat fiber has had all the starch stripped from it and is only indigestible fiber and no digestible carbs. Oat bran still has starch.
Where do you purchase the oat fiber? I'm having trouble finding it.
Lesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!
 
rosethorns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Puyallup. WA
Posts: 5,708
Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesley View Post
Where do you purchase the oat fiber? I'm having trouble finding it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKat View Post
What can I make with oat fiber?? I am looking to put order into netrition soon.
At Netrition. Click on the blue oat fiber words and it will take you to
Netrition.

Char gave you a good one, here is another really great one. And there is no substitute for her formula.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...h-recipes.html

Last edited by rosethorns; 07-03-2013 at 10:26 AM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4
Gallery: Lesley
More uses for oat fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
At Netrition. Click on the blue oat fiber words and it will take you to
Netrition.

Char gave you a good one, here is another really great one. And there is no substitute for her formula.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...h-recipes.html
I just ordered the oat fiber online this morning. Can oat fiber be used in a smoothie, or will it clump up? Also does anyone have more recipes using it in making breads (besides the English Muffin one) as well as other dishes?
Lesley
Lesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:24 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.