Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Oat Fiber / Oat Bran (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/708154-oat-fiber-oat-bran.html)

LadyTexun 01-30-2011 07:33 PM

Oat Fiber / Oat Bran
 
What is the difference between Oat Fiber and Oat Bran?
I purchased a very small amount of Oat Bran yesterday, the fellow who owns the health food store said they are the same, but I just wasn't sure so I only bought about 1/2 a pound. Didn't want to invest too much money until I checked here.

And if this info has already been posted, can someone just point me toward the original post??

ouizoid 01-30-2011 07:35 PM

Oat fiber and Oat Bran are NOT the same. Oat fiber has had all the starch stripped from it and is only indigestible fiber and no digestible carbs. Oat bran still has starch.

LadyTexun 01-30-2011 07:38 PM

Thanks ouizoid... I didn't think they were the same. You'd sort of expect the owner of a health food store that's been around for years to know that.

ravenrose 01-30-2011 09:39 PM

if you look at the nutrition on the brands Netrition sells of these, the oat bran has 21 grams of net carbs per third cup, while the oat fiber has 0 grams per cup. I'm sure the oat bran is great in things, but not low carb.

I think the oat fiber is an extremely specialized product, normally only available to commercial bakeries and stuff? I am not surprised he hasn't heard of it. Netrition has a lot of very hard to find specialty low carb stuff for baking from this company.

LadyTexun 01-31-2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 14329458)
if you look at the nutrition on the brands Netrition sells of these, the oat bran has 21 grams of net carbs per third cup, while the oat fiber has 0 grams per cup. I'm sure the oat bran is great in things, but not low carb.

I think the oat fiber is an extremely specialized product, normally only available to commercial bakeries and stuff? I am not surprised he hasn't heard of it. Netrition has a lot of very hard to find specialty low carb stuff for baking from this company.

His bulk bin wasn't labeled, I knew the oat fiber was 0 grams... that's OK. I only spent 64 cents :rofl:

Thanks much for the help!!

Aptos Gal 01-31-2011 05:56 PM

I'm glad to read this, I was wondering myself what the difference was. Thanks.

JKat 02-01-2011 06:39 AM

What can I make with oat fiber?? I am looking to put order into netrition soon.

Charski 02-01-2011 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKat (Post 14333645)
What can I make with oat fiber?? I am looking to put order into netrition soon.

I HIGHLY recommend this:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ns-w-pics.html

Lesley 07-03-2013 08:38 AM

Can I buy it in Arizona?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ouizoid (Post 14329241)
Oat fiber and Oat Bran are NOT the same. Oat fiber has had all the starch stripped from it and is only indigestible fiber and no digestible carbs. Oat bran still has starch.

Where do you purchase the oat fiber? I'm having trouble finding it.

rosethorns 07-03-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lesley (Post 16498457)
Where do you purchase the oat fiber? I'm having trouble finding it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKat (Post 14333645)
What can I make with oat fiber?? I am looking to put order into netrition soon.

At Netrition. Click on the blue oat fiber words and it will take you to
Netrition.

Char gave you a good one, here is another really great one. And there is no substitute for her formula.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...h-recipes.html

Lesley 07-04-2013 11:48 AM

More uses for oat fiber
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethorns (Post 16498519)
At Netrition. Click on the blue oat fiber words and it will take you to
Netrition.

Char gave you a good one, here is another really great one. And there is no substitute for her formula.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...h-recipes.html

I just ordered the oat fiber online this morning. Can oat fiber be used in a smoothie, or will it clump up? Also does anyone have more recipes using it in making breads (besides the English Muffin one) as well as other dishes?
Lesley


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:35 AM.