Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dollkey
Stats: restart 06-11/150.2/150.2/108 ht 4'11"
WOE: Dukan Attack Phase
Start Date: 06/13/11
Chicken and Ginger Soup

Barbo asked for it in the chayote thread and didn't wanna thread jack. I have a post about it on my blog here Low Carb Pinay: Chicken Tinola (Filipino Chicken Ginger Soup)

This is a very typical dish here in the Philippines. We use green unripened papaya for it. In our old house we had a papaya tree growing outside and every time the fruits were large enough, my husband, and American would request me to make this dish. It is his favorite and one of his big concerns when me move to the US is whether I can still cook this or not. Since Chayote is a wonderful vegetable and can be used as a substitute for the green papaya, I assured him that I would still be able to make his favorite dish.

Chicken and Ginger Soup

Ingredients
Chicken *I got one whole chicken and had it cut up in serving portions. You may use boneless, skinless chicken breasts but I really like using parts with bones and skin because it adds flavor. My hubby doesn't like bones so he gets the chicken breasts. Wings are perfect as well as thigh parts.*

Fresh ginger root *I don't think you can sub this out. Ginger flavors chicken very well. You won't need much just an inch, two if you like the spicy flavor. Peel and cut into thin disks. I don't mince because I hate accidentally chewing ginger. Not pleasant for me. So I make them large enough to pick out when I'm eating.*

Small green papaya OR Chayote *Traditionally we use green unripened papaya for this recipe but I've used chayote in its place without much difference. Peel, remove the seed and cut in bite-sized wedges.*

A bunch of chili leaves OR bokchoy *Same as the papaya and chayote, using bokchoy doesn't alter the flavor much. Just use some spicy seasoning, I used chilies in oil to give that chili flavor and it worked. Leave this whole, do not cut or shred.*

Fish sauce *Just a tablespoon or depending on how salty you like it. You may find this in Asian stores. You may use soy sauce but it's not the same.*

Chicken broth

Directions
1. Put chicken in a pot and cover it. Heat it up. If you're using chicken with skin, no need to add oil but if not, add just a small amount of oil so it doesn't burn.
2. Once the chicken is sizzling but not brown and oil has liberated from the skin, add the ginger and saute for a minute until fragrant. Then add the fish sauce and saute some more.
3. Add the chicken broth and the other seasonings, salt, pepper and chilies in oil, if using.
4. Once it has boiled, add the chayote or papaya. You may let this simmer until the vegetables are tender. I like the chayote to be tender but not mushy. I would let my soup simmer for twenty to thirty minutes to let the flavors mingle some more. Turn off the heat, put bokchoy on top of soup and cover. Let it rest for about five minutes.
5. Serve.

Last edited by dollkey; 01-30-2011 at 07:42 PM..
dollkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Thanks to you dolkey

The soup sounds very yummy. I love the greens on top and
just steaming down. I too would like the chicken on the bone.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote