Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2011, 03:32 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Dee! yes! My name is Ouisue and oddly enough, it is pronounced wheezeee
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2011, 10:34 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
I bought a bottle of glucomannan caps Wed so I could try some of these recipes. Later I will buy the bulk pwd since it is cheaper, and easier than opening the caps.

Soooo,,,, I tried this this evening. Course as DrJ said, can't make a recipe without tweaking.

I forgot when making it that Ouis' recipe didn't have coconut oil in it. I'm so used to using that in the other muffins, etc. So I automatically melted about a Tbsp of that in a medium/lg ramekin. I sirred the E into that (as I always do when making these type things), then the egg, abt 1 TBSp Chia gel, the Davinci syrup, and some homemade sf cocoa syrup. Mixed that well, then added the dry ingredients. I used 3 of the glucomannan caps.
(Oh I didn't use quite a 1/3 c of the E.) I nuked it for 1 min, but then it wasn't quite done (I have a little more liquid in mine due to the chia gel). Added 15 second. I poured a little cream, and just a small dribbling of caramel DaVinci SF syrup over it. Can never wait for them to get cool.
It was a little "gooey" for lack of a better word at first. (which I liked) Got more cakelike as I ate it. I ate just over 1/2, and had to up it up. I was full, and didn't want any more! This is NOT like me. I usually eat the whole dish of the muffins or the 3 minute flourless cake! I'll put the rest in the fridge, and eat it tomorrow. Can't believe I couldn't eat the whole thing! I ate the other several hours ago, and I'm still full. That turned out to be my supper.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:02 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Billie! Isn't it amazing how filling the glucomannan is? It provides appetite control in a way that nothing else does for me--Glad you tried this.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:39 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mommie22boys
Stats: 211/199/135 5'5.5"
WOE: Paleo/ JUDDD
Start Date: Originally 6/7/07, Now 4/1/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
ALERT. Please do not read if you have an objection to Frankenfoods. I, for various reasons, have to keep things super LC/LF and so I often depend on things other people wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole.

This made a wowzer delish chocolate low carb low fat muffin:

DRY
1/4 cup oat fiber
2 Tbs Hersheys special dark cocoa (20 cals)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 or a little less cup erythritol
1 tsp glucomannan powder

blend dry ingredients

WET
1/3 cup liquid eggwhite (30)
2 Tbs davinci SF vanilla syrup
2 Tbs hersheys sf chocolate syrup (15 cals)

mix together wet and dry and microwave for about a minute. There may be a little moist stuff on top--don't microwave until entirely dry.

Im thinking about 65 calories and 2-3 carbs for the thing. I sliced it up and topped with a little more hersheys sf syrup and it was so YUM. I think adding the glucomannan powder to the dry ingredients gave it a much moister crumb than you usually get with oat fiber--and of course cocoa acts like flour most of the time.

I will so not be offended if no one a) wants to try this, or b) can't because they don't have all the wacky ingredients but go for it if you are a mad scientist like me

Ouis
Is this hot cocoa mix or cocoa powder? I'm wondering, because I have black cocoa powder, which as 2 net carbs/Tbls. But I never use more than 1/4-1 tsp at any given time due to its intense chocolatey-ness.
Mommie22boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:55 AM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

it is cocoa powder made by hersheys--and has the same stats as yours--
Old 02-26-2011, 09:26 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, I was amazed Ouis! I've never not been able to finish something like that before.

I fixed a "hot cereal" for breakfast this morning and added 1 capsule to it. (It was full of fiber, cause it also had some oat fiber & chia gel in it.) I did finish the bowl, but I'm super full now!

Mommie', just use your cocoa pwd, and put in about what you think you need of it. Adjust if needed.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

I admit that I don't count calories (maybe I need to), but the title of super low carb OMM is what enticed me in here, because I love a tasty OMM once in a while. Anyway, I think I'm missing something if these are super LC. The cocoa powder notwithstanding (I don't think I could eat a OMM with 2 whole Tbls of black cocoa powder in it), there are still a lot of carbs in this thing. . .more than the 2-3 that you're thinking. But like I said, maybe I'm missing something. . . I looked all of these things up and here's what I found:

DRY
1/4 cup oat fiber (3 carbs - 3 fiber = 0)
2 Tbs Hersheys special dark cocoa (20 cals) (2 net carbs per Tbls x 2 = 4)
1/2 tsp baking powder (1 carb per 1/2 tsp)
1/3 or a little less cup erythritol (4 carbs per tsp, but all sugar alcohol - I count as 0)
1 tsp glucomannan powder (again, all fiber = 0)

blend dry ingredients

WET
1/3 cup liquid eggwhite (30) (since you're counting it as 30 calories, I'll assume you're talking about 2 egg whites. That's .5 carbs)
2 Tbs davinci SF vanilla syrup (I count as free unless you're using it by the cupful)
2 Tbls hersheys sf chocolate syrup (15 cals) (From their website, 2 Tbls = 5 carbs)

When you add it all up, that's 10.5 carbs before you add any additional syrup or other topping to it. I'm glad that you're able to enjoy these but, nommy as they sound, that's too many carbs for something I would eat as a snack.

You know the laws of dieting. All gains are water weight. All losses are of fat! --SoHappy
Old 02-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

the hersheys SF syrup is sweetened with erythritol--so deduct those 5 carbs--I don't use that anymore anyhow--

I just looked at my hersheys special dark cocoa and it is 1 net carb per tbs--so 2 total--

so 3-4 carbs per muffin--
Old 02-26-2011, 01:19 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
the hersheys SF syrup is sweetened with erythritol--so deduct those 5 carbs--I don't use that anymore anyhow--

I just looked at my hersheys special dark cocoa and it is 1 net carb per tbs--so 2 total--

so 3-4 carbs per muffin--
Oooooo, Now I'm very interested to find that syrup! I didn't realize it was made with erythritol. I will easily find uses for that!
Old 02-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

I didn't know the SF Hershey's syrup was made with E!

I make my own, and use E (well a blend of E, stevia, sweetzfree or SQP, & Sweet One -- The S O could easily be left out, but it is one of the ingredients of Hershey SF syrup).

If you go to the Hershey site, you can type in Sugar Free Syrup in the search box (do not include the word chocolate), and find info on it. Also they have a search for where to find their products,,, put in your zip or the city & state.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wattobotf
Stats: 252/232/175
WOE: Higher Fat Bernstein's/Atkins
Start Date: Restart June 1, 2010
yummy
wattobotf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:41 AM   #42
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
I have all these ingredients. Can any one tell me if I can use xanthum gum or guar gum in place of the glucomannan powder?
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:19 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

try it! Tell us how it is? The only thing about the glu powder, in the right proportions, it isn't slimy like the gums--just makes the crumb moister--
Old 02-28-2011, 08:13 AM   #44
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
try it! Tell us how it is? The only thing about the glu powder, in the right proportions, it isn't slimy like the gums--just makes the crumb moister--
I have found that the gums aren't slimy when used in baking mixes
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:50 PM   #45
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
LOL Dr J!

Today I made a Chai version! Used 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder, and daVinci's Chai sf syrup and a sprinkle of cardomom. micro'd a little less time because of the PP. yummmmmy.
Dearest Ouiz, can you tell me what you replaced using the VPP and syrup or did you just add these things to your original recipe?

Thanks, my friend!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:42 PM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi LInda

IIRC, I subbed 2 Tbs vanilla protein powder for the hersheys cocoa--and used DaVinci's chai syrup instead of chocolate--

I also remember making an apple cinnamon version of this using the Alpine SF apple cider powder--which was just wonderful--
Old 08-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #47

Quote:
Hi LInda

IIRC, I subbed 2 Tbs vanilla protein powder for the hersheys cocoa--and used DaVinci's chai syrup instead of chocolate--

I also remember making an apple cinnamon version of this using the Alpine SF apple cider powder--which was just wonderful--
And I'm assuming all the other ingredients are the same? Thanks, my friend!!
Old 08-11-2011, 03:13 PM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yup!
Old 08-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #49

Quote:
Yup!

Thanks again!!!
Old 08-12-2011, 08:23 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
Ouis - not sure if you saw it, but I did a little experimenting with the chocolate superlow and get a really decadent fudgy brownie texture with it -

DRY
* 1 packet Baja Bob's Mudslide Powder

blend dry ingredients

WET
* 3 Tbs davinci SF syrup (I've used chocolate, PB, coconut, caramel- all with yummy results)
* 2 tbs Walden Farms Marshmallow (0)

I mix it all in a big cappucino mug and nuke for 1 min 5 seconds. It's delicious and decadent right away, but really develops a fudgier texture if you refrigerate it. I can only eat a max of a half at a time, it is so rich and satisfying.

Thanks again for this great recipe - it has been a mainstay for me on my JUDDD diet!
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

mudslide powder?!? Must Have!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post
Ouis - not sure if you saw it, but I did a little experimenting with the chocolate superlow and get a really decadent fudgy brownie texture with it -

DRY
* 1 packet Baja Bob's Mudslide Powder

blend dry ingredients

WET
* 3 Tbs davinci SF syrup (I've used chocolate, PB, coconut, caramel- all with yummy results)
* 2 tbs Walden Farms Marshmallow (0)

I mix it all in a big cappucino mug and nuke for 1 min 5 seconds. It's delicious and decadent right away, but really develops a fudgier texture if you refrigerate it. I can only eat a max of a half at a time, it is so rich and satisfying.

Thanks again for this great recipe - it has been a mainstay for me on my JUDDD diet!
OH MY!! How many calories for this, Penguin? Thanks!!
Old 08-12-2011, 08:55 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Linda - it's like the biggest calorie bargain on the planet, only about 55-60 cals per the whole muffin (which is huge). There's almost no real food in it lol so most of the calories come from egg white and cocoa powder. A few cals for the baking powder. Everything else states 0 calories on labels, but I figure there must be a few lurking somewhere so when I have one I count it as 60 calories (or a few more if I drizzle a little SF choc syrup on top). I put a couple of pictures of these muffins in the June JUDDD thread - a lemon one, and some very bad pix of the chocolate one.

Ouis--the Baja Bob's mudslide mix is great stuff! I sometimes mix up a packet with water and use that in my coffee to save on creamer calories. There's some gluc or other gum in it, since it does have a bit of thickening power. Oh, and it makes pretty good mudslides, too.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post
Linda - it's like the biggest calorie bargain on the planet, only about 55-60 cals per the whole muffin (which is huge). There's almost no real food in it lol so most of the calories come from egg white and cocoa powder. A few cals for the baking powder. Everything else states 0 calories on labels, but I figure there must be a few lurking somewhere so when I have one I count it as 60 calories (or a few more if I drizzle a little SF choc syrup on top). I put a couple of pictures of these muffins in the June JUDDD thread - a lemon one, and some very bad pix of the chocolate one.

Ouis--the Baja Bob's mudslide mix is great stuff! I sometimes mix up a packet with water and use that in my coffee to save on creamer calories. There's some gluc or other gum in it, since it does have a bit of thickening power. Oh, and it makes pretty good mudslides, too.

WHAT A BARGAIN!!! Ok, so what do we use to replace the mudslide since I don't have this product and WANT this muffin ASAP?
Old 08-13-2011, 02:05 PM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

just make it without the powder--purty delicious as originally designed
Old 08-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

The mudslide is not necessary, nor is the Walden's - those additions just make a differently textured superlow muffin. This is a fun recipe to play around with.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

also--by the way--when I make this, I also make "frosting" by mixing a TBS of ff cream cheese with a teeny weeny bit of davinci's or WF syrup (I usually use the WF pancake syrup). microwave for 5-6 seconds to make the creamcheese more maleable. For about 15 calories, you get a nice frosting
Old 09-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #58

I just made this using Ouiz idea of the spiced cider. Added some cinnamon, a shake of pumpkin pie spice, 1 tsp Ideal brown sugar and the keep the WF marshmallow fluff!

OMG It smells amazing and I can't wait for it to cool off to eat it! I tasted the batter before it went into the microwave and if that is ANY suggestion of what this is going to taste like, I'm in APPLE SPICED MUFFIN HEAVEN!!

EDIT TO SAY.................MAN OH MAN!! I'm just LOVIN' this muffin!!

Last edited by Beeb; 09-11-2011 at 05:52 PM..
Old 09-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Beeb, please post tweaked recipe.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:50 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Beeb, please post tweaked recipe.
I just used Penguin's recipe and Ouiz's idea and this is what I did:

DRY
1/4 cup oat fiber 0 Cals
1 package Sugar Free Spiced Cider Mix (Mine is called Strurm's but I saw the Alpine in Walmart today, same calories) 10 Cals
1/2 tsp baking powder 0 Cals
1/2 to 1 tsp cinnamon (less or more to taste) 3 Cals for 1/2 tsp 6 Cals for 1 tsp
Good sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice 2 Cals
1 tsp Ideal Brown Sugar Sub 0 Cals
1/2 tsp glucomannan powder (use 1 full tsp if you want) 0 Cals

blend dry ingredients

WET
1/4 cup egg beaters or egg whites 30 Cals
1/4 to 1/2 cup water (eyeball this, starting with 1/4 cup and mixing to get the batter to look like a bit thicker than cake batter, almost like a brownie batter consistency) 0 Cals
* 2 tbs Walden Farms Marshmallow (I keep this in there to keep it from getting too dry and it added a nice flavor, also) 0 Cals

I mix everything in a onion soup crock, but any large mug would do. Microwave about 2 1/2 minutes or until it's not wet in the middle anymore. Serve warm or let chill in fridge. I also made a "frosting" using 1 TBS FF cream cheese, softened a bit in microwave, and mixed with a bit of vanilla DaVinci's SF syrup (or use any flavor you like) 15 Cals. Split the chilled muffin and put this frosting in the middle! YUMMY!!

Total for this muffin with frosting: 63 Cals using 1 tsp cinnamon and 60 Cals using 1/2 tsp cinnamon.

Total for this muffin without frosting: 48 Cals using 1 tsp cinnamon and 45 Cals using 1/2 tsp cinnamon.

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 09-12-2011 at 08:56 PM..