Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #1

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I've Been Holding Out on You

I meant to do this recipe again and pay better attention to the proportions, but it looks like the ones I made will last forever so I thought I should share before Valentine's Day, since I missed Christmas by a mile...

virtually carb and calorie free, delicious but expensive, easy:

Cream Cheese Mints

Cream Cheese Fudge

Cream Cheese Vanilla Fudge

Cream Cheese (fill in the flavor) Fudge

those of you with more normal social lives, you are probably familiar with the shower staple "Cream Cheese Mints." no one invites me to showers so I have only read about them... LOL well, not true, I have been to SOME showers, but none with rustic home-made candies.

this converts to low carb easy as pie. the only trick, perhaps, is that you need a food processor and I'm not sure how successful you will be with a smaller batch. the food processor needs to grip the stuff with it's little blade to knead it, and at some point I'm not sure it would work with a small quantity. but you can try.

for an ENTIRE POUND of powdered erythritol, you will need about 6-7 oz of cream cheese. start with about 6oz. or try half that amount for a half pound of erythritol. must be powdered, please.

it should be room temp, but NOT softened more than that in the microwave.

do you want the whole batch one flavor or do you want to make several flavors? if you want several, you might make the whole batch vanilla, and then add in cocoa powder to part of it to make fudge (chocolate as we know it is as much vanilla as cocoa,) and another flavor to a third of it, if you care to, leaving a third vanilla. I made vanilla and chocolate that way.

you drop the cream cheese in the processor, whirl it a bit with the metal blade, dump in some erythritol, whirl again, etc., until it comes together as a ball. put in your vanilla extract in one of those batches of erythritol, about a teaspoon. you can taste and adjust when it's about done.

you will think this is never going to get firm. the stuff SUCKS erythritol and stays soft. that is why I say don't start with too much cream cheese or you will need pounds of erythritol.

if you plan to make some chocolate fudge, remove that part of the candy mixture before it's totally hard enough to form a ball, because the cocoa will make it firmer than a flavor with just liquid flavoring.

do not try to use Torani or DaVinci syrups here. no more liquid that strictly necessary or it won't set up into a firm candy and you will have a sauce instead.

so you have this ball of cream cheese/erythritol flavored with vanilla. if you want, remove some of it to keep it vanilla and drip in a little more of some other extract, perhaps orange essential oil or peppermint extract. I do not recommend generic "mint" flavor, because that is spearmint and more closely associated with toothpaste than candy, but it's up to you! pineapple would be good. maybe maple.

you can drip in a little food color too. traditionally I understand the mint flavor ones were done in pastels to be cute for the shower theme. I expect the fact that this gives me chills explains my lack of shower invitations...

shovel a couple of spoonfuls of cocoa powder into the fudge part and process again. taste. adjust taste and texture with more cream cheese if too hard (just a LITTLE bit) or more cocoa or erythritol.

when they are a good texture, plop the various balls of different flavors on a surface you can patiently work on. I used a plastic cutting sheet on the kitchen table so I could sit. this takes some time.

break off little chunks and roll them into balls. I like mine flattened a bit. I would say about 3/4 inch in diameter and 1/3 inch thick, but whatever you like. they are RICH despite having very few calories or carbs, so I do not recommend sugar cookie sized blobs of the stuff!

when you are done, refrigerate them. we made a batch about mid-December and they are still half there and taste just like they originally did. I expect they will keep for months.

interestingly, they make me feel sorta sick if I eat too many, just like when I would OD on sugar candy. my body says, that was too much, too rich! I sort of like that, a natural limit. my husband seems able to eat an unlimited quantity though. LOL

we got approx. 75 each of the vanilla and chocolate ones, when I used a whole 8 oz package of cream cheese and more than a pound of erythritol.

that made them approx 5 calories and .05 carbs each, if you count the erythritol as zero as I do. .08 for the chocolate fudge.

this is as close to free as you can get, if you don't overdo on them. I am pleased that I have no cravings for them and can easily eat one without being pulled back to the refrigerator for more.

sorry to go on so long here... I hope you try this!

Last edited by ravenrose; 01-26-2011 at 04:05 PM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
DAMN RR--that sounds delicious. No more holding back, K?
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dollkey
Stats: restart 06-11/150.2/150.2/108 ht 4'11"
WOE: Dukan Attack Phase
Start Date: 06/13/11
This reminds me of the Keto balls but no need to freeze?
dollkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollkey View Post
This reminds me of the Keto balls but no need to freeze?
not familiar with them, but yeah, when you use enough erythritol, these stay solid at room temp a long time. you might be able to just keep them in a box on the counter. but since they do contain cream cheese, I think it's better to refrigerate if they won't be eaten pretty promptly.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Are they chewy? Cause I know fudge is chewy. I would like to try this but alas no erythritol for me to use.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:34 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
oh my good lord!! my draw just dropped to the floor! lol I love these!! Thank you so much for sharing, I have everything to make these. These will be perfect for when the sweet tooth acts up!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollkey View Post
Are they chewy? Cause I know fudge is chewy. I would like to try this but alas no erythritol for me to use.
fudge varies a lot, I think. I have never had chewy fudge.

these are definitely "melt in your mouth" rich. not chewy at all. like my mother in law's fudge! LOL
Old 01-27-2011, 02:28 PM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/226.2/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
I'm going to place a netrition order and I think I may have to get some powdered E just to try this.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:40 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
fudge varies a lot, I think. I have never had chewy fudge.

these are definitely "melt in your mouth" rich. not chewy at all. like my mother in law's fudge! LOL
Ohhh! Then I must be thinking of something totally different LOL I like melt in your mouth rich
Old 01-28-2011, 09:18 AM   #10
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
I definitely want to try this, thanks for the recipe. I will try a half recipe first. Keto balls totally kept me from gaining this past holiday season, if I wanted something sweet I would pop one in my mouth super hard from the freezer, yum!
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lene
Stats: 225/212/160
WOE: fat, fat, fat
Start Date: 9/1/12
I've always loved these mints at showers and wedding parties. Lots of times they are made by making small balls then using a fork to do criss-cross designs on them, like peanut butter drop cookies.

I made a batch of these once (the LC ones) and made small flattened rounds about the diameter of a dime, but slightly thicker. Dipped them in some very dark melted chocolate, let firm on waxed paper in the fridge. They were like homemade Junior Mints. We each would have three or four of them with a mug of coffee after supper and felt like we were indulging. <g> After dinner mints, how posh! LOL
lene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
lene - thanks for posting and getting thread out of the dust, this looks GREAT!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lene
Stats: 225/212/160
WOE: fat, fat, fat
Start Date: 9/1/12
I know, don't they? There's just something about simple little recipes, especially for small treats that you can have just one or two bites of and feel like you had a treat without breaking the bank, carbwise. We all like having something little after supper with our coffee, and it doesn't have to be much of a much, but that little bit seems to feel like an indulgence. Back in the day, we'd buy a big bar of fancy chocolate, and just break off one little square apiece, or have a box of good choccies and just have one apiece. Candy lasts a long time at our house, doing that, because we don't usually want it every night, we like to have one small cookie one night, or a little dollop of sweetened whipped cream on the coffee one night to make it special -- just a little somethin'.
lene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
OMGoodnes!!!!!!!!

I wish I had seen this I had a shower to help with. They would've loved these.

You guys are very funny.

I can't eat them, but would be good for a party.

Thanks RR. Great sounding recipe.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I forgot about trying these but I'm wondering if using that much eryrhritol would cause tummy issues. Would have to eat just a few and not go overboard.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote