Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Low Carb "Balsamic Vinegar" (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/707253-low-carb-balsamic-vinegar.html)

ravenrose 01-23-2011 07:24 PM

Low Carb "Balsamic Vinegar"

if you use balsamic vinegar, are you aware of how much sugar it has in it?

traditional balsamic vinegar is made from the unfermented, concentrated sweet juice of grapes. it turns part of the sugar into the acidic vinegar while leaving a lot more to concentrate in sweet syrupiness. I doubt you have ever had this, since TINY bottles go for a minimum of $80-150.

the stuff sold in stores as balsamic vinegar is vinegar with added sugar, caramel color and flavor. go look at the label.

the only reason it can look low carbish is that the serving sizes listed are like a half teaspoon or something. if you use any more than that, the sugar adds up!

I like it though. almost everyone does. try this instead:

vinegar
sweetener
caramel flavor
soy sauce

in a small jar/bottle, combine your choices in these areas and shake. play with proportions till it tastes right.

I found the soy sauce not only made it dark like we are used to, but just a couple of drops rounded the flavor very nicely.

for my first try, I used apple cider vinegar with a LITTLE bit of DaVinci caramel sugar free syrup and a couple of drops of soy sauce. the caramel is a bit strong. next time I will add less of the syrup and a drop or two of liquid splenda.

I think red wine vinegar, or sherry vinegar, would be good too.

I know I could do this every time I wanted it,but that's a pain. I will like having it premixed. none of these things require refrigeration, so I can keep it in the cupboard. I don't need any more small jars in the refrigerator!

I had this on an avocado last night and it was very good. balsamic vinegar is my favorite dressing for avocados, and I have missed it.

SmileySue 01-24-2011 12:03 PM

Ravenrose - this sounds awesome!! You come up with some of the best solutions!! Thank you for always sharing. :notwrthy::hugs:

darlingnikki 01-24-2011 12:16 PM

thank you so much!

Erica L. Butler 01-26-2011 11:10 AM

This is awesome. I like to marinate chicken or Pork Ribs in the stuff than bake, Thanks for a much healthier recipe.:clap::clap:

CreekWatcher 01-26-2011 12:12 PM

subcribing

mojave 01-26-2011 01:16 PM

The balsamic vinegar on my shelf is Trader Joe's Balsamic Vinegar of Modena. It is aged for 20 years in "fine oak barrels" and the ingredients are wine vinegar and cooked grape must. It has 5 grams carb per Tablespoon. I don't use it often but when I do it only adds a small amount of carbs in a recipe. It is just the thing to balance out a soup or stew. I'm all for kitchen creativity but I love my balsamic.

mojave 01-26-2011 01:17 PM

I forgot to add, it's maybe $6.00 a bottle. Something like that.

RonBoyd 01-26-2011 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mojave (Post 14315425)
The balsamic vinegar on my shelf is Trader Joe's Balsamic Vinegar of Modena. It is aged for 20 years in "fine oak barrels" and the ingredients are wine vinegar and cooked grape must. It has 5 grams carb per Tablespoon. I don't use it often but when I do it only adds a small amount of carbs in a recipe. It is just the thing to balance out a soup or stew. I'm all for kitchen creativity but I love my balsamic.

I have a bottle of Bartenura brand "Balsamic Vinegar of Modena" that I bought at either Wal Mart or Safeway. It has 3 grams of Carbs per Tablespoon (all Sugar). It has one ingredient: Balsamic Vinegar of Modena <Cute>

In any event, I agree about what it brings to the table.

ravenrose 01-26-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mojave (Post 14315425)

it depends on your carb tolerance, of course. to me, 5 grams for vinegar is insane. I would rather have vegetables. but I am glad you can use it!

the "cooked grape must" is the sugary stuff in that one. same as verjus, I believe.

mojave 01-26-2011 09:21 PM

Yep, it's what you can tolerate. Five grams in a big pot of soup pretty much evens out to less than 1 gram per serving. Also, I'm Italian. :) The acidity and sweetness just work well together and make it worth it in certain recipes. Great to have a low carb substitute to try.

Brieb83 07-15-2013 04:48 PM

I know this is an old thread but I thought i should post that i love Rachael Ray's balsamic vinegar of modena and it only has 3 carbs and 17 calories per tablespoon. I bought it on sale at my local Meijer for $4! Fairly low carb and delicious. It isnt "oaky" like some can be which is a bonus for my taste buds.

Chocolate Rose 07-15-2013 07:10 PM

Thank you for bumping this up!! I miss balsamic vinegar and now I can have it back!

pooticus 07-18-2013 09:44 PM

Another thing you can do is mix a tablespoon of balsamic with 3-4 tablespoons of red wine vinegar. It cuts the carbs/serving!

buttoni 07-19-2013 11:22 AM

Good idea, Pooti.