Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 03:50 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Instructions for making yoghurt (aka yogurt)

I posted this in a thread in answer to someone's question about what to do with cream, but thought it might be of use here. Hope this helps someone.

How to make yoghurt:

Needed: Cream, a bit of plain yoghurt, large saucepan, candy thermometer, glass jars, and a way to keep the yoghurt warm for several hours.

1) Mix whatever proportions of hwc and half-&-half you wish, or 100% of either one if you don't have both. (aka light cream and double cream)

2) Bring cream to a boil. (While waiting for cream to boil, put 1 tablespoon of plain yoghurt in each jar you need. One tablespoon is for a 6-8 ounce jar. It's best to let the yoghurt warm up to 70 degrees Fahrenheit, or a bit higher, which is why this is done at this point.)

3) Let cream cool to 105 degrees Fahrenheit.

While cream is cooling, turn on your yoghurt maker to let it warm up. If you don't have a yoghurt maker, here are possibilities for keeping the yoghurt warm for its incubation. Set up your preferred method while the cream is cooling. If the incubation temperature is too cool, the culture can't multiply, and if it is too hot, it will kill the culture.

- Wrap a heating pad around the jars and cover. (Or put the jars and heating pad into a styrofoam cooler.)

- Set the jars on a radiator, if it is not too cool or too hot. (105-110 degrees is ideal.)

- Pre-heat a thermos with hot water. Measure the temperature so it isn't too hot.

- Use an oven with a pilot light, or which can be set at 105-110 degrees.

--

4) Take the cream mixture which has been cooled to 105 degrees, and pour it into each jar, mixing well with the yoghurt starter.

5) Put the jars into your yoghurt maker, or pour mixture into preheated thermos, etc.

N. B.: Incubation time is a minimum of 4 hours. (Shorter times mean less fermentation, and the yoghurt will be more liquid.) The longer it incubates the less lactose there will be. Yoghurt is a process of fermentation. At about 18 hours the lactose will be reduced as far as possible. For those wishing to avoid any taste of sweet, this is useful. (Or for those with Crohn's, IBS, etc.)

I use a bit of yoghurt from the last batch for a starter. The starter needs to be plain yoghurt, so that the fermentation will work well. I buy Dannon brand, plain, from whole milk, when I need a starter. Any plain yoghurt will work.

If you decide to buy a yoghurt maker, I like the Yo-Life with the tall cover, so that one can use jars from home. I also like that it has no automatic shut-off so that one can let the yoghurt incubate as long as one wishes.

I wish you all happy yoghurt making.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 01-13-2011 at 03:55 AM.. Reason: corrected error
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
Thanks for your recipe. When you add gelatin how much do you add?
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Sistertzu. When using only HWC, I divide one, small envelope of Knox gelatin into 32 ounces of yoghurt, but that might be too stiff for some folks. Different creams thicken differently. Longer incubation times will make the yoghurt stiffer. I don't use gelatin when there isn't much HWC in the mixture. When the HWC is at least a third, I add a bit of gelatin.

You'll have to experiment and see what you like. I found that Knox gelatin dissolves better than the house brands. They leave lumps, which I don't mind, but aren't all that appealing.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
Resident crazy dog lady

Thanks, I usually one envelope per batch. Sometimes I make half plain and half with gelatin because I like it both ways. Thanks for the tip on the lactose I will tell my adult daughter who is lactose intolerant. I wanted to try to make coconut milk yogurt for her but haven't got around to it yet.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Sis, if someone is lactose intolerant, I think a 20-hour incubation time would be worth a try. There is also lactose-free milk, maybe mixed with HWC??? If the person has a strong intolerance, it might not be enough avoidance.

All the best to you.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 01-13-2011 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: typing error
Old 01-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
Resident crazy dog lady

Thanks, yes she does ok with yogurt and lactose free milk.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

I have recently been heating the cream to 110 degrees (Fahrenheit) and letting it cool to 105, rather than boiling it first. The yoghurt turns out fine.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
I really don't stress over the temperature. I heat it up in the microwave for 9 minutes at power level 9, let it cool down to where I can touch the container (if I forget it is in there, I just reheat it for a minute), add the yogurt starter, then pour it into the incubating container, leave it for 24 hours. Viola! Yogurt, nice a creamy and sour, just how I like it!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:19 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shoo
Stats: 239/170/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2004
I've been making the slow cooker method from the cheeseslave site. It's very easy and turning out well. I strain the whey out to use in other recipes.
shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:23 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: littlesky
I absolutely love the idea of making my own yogurt. I have made a couple of batches and all have been a success. I would stress cleanliness when getting everything prepared.

You will end up with a lovely creamy yogurt!!!! I don't like the ones with the gelatine and or the ones with too much preparation.
littlesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

I have still been heating mine to 110 degrees (Fahrenheit), and letting it cool to 105.

Have been incubating it for 24 - 48 hours and enjoying having less lactose in it.