Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 09:12 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: momof3boysnj
low carb recipes for people with nut allergies

Hi all;
I have been finding this website very useful and am happy to try your recipes since stumbling on this site when I was looking for recipes. I can't always find the specialized ingredients in my area, but have had some luck in local health food store or in Whole Foods. My dilemna is that I also am allergic to most nuts- I can only eat peanuts. I cannot use the usual almond nut flour usually advised. I am ok with flax seeds so I have used flax seed meal. I just bought coconut flour, and am also using soy flour, soy protein powder and garbanzo bean flour (not so low in carbs) as substitutes. I appreciate all suggestions and thank you all for providing this forum. I have been following low-carb eating guidelines since August, 2010 and down 27 lbs so far. I have done it before, but have found it hard to resist going back to the pastas, Italian bread, homemade pizzas, etc. With the low-carb versions of some of these things I can almost have my cake/bread/pasta and eat it too! (In moderation!)
momof3boysnj is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3boysnj View Post
Hi all;
I have been finding this website very useful and am happy to try your recipes since stumbling on this site when I was looking for recipes. I can't always find the specialized ingredients in my area, but have had some luck in local health food store or in Whole Foods. My dilemna is that I also am allergic to most nuts- I can only eat peanuts. I cannot use the usual almond nut flour usually advised. I am ok with flax seeds so I have used flax seed meal. I just bought coconut flour, and am also using soy flour, soy protein powder and garbanzo bean flour (not so low in carbs) as substitutes. I appreciate all suggestions and thank you all for providing this forum. I have been following low-carb eating guidelines since August, 2010 and down 27 lbs so far. I have done it before, but have found it hard to resist going back to the pastas, Italian bread, homemade pizzas, etc. With the low-carb versions of some of these things I can almost have my cake/bread/pasta and eat it too! (In moderation!)
And glad you found us. What I would do in your case is make a "flour combo" to bake/cook with. Maybe a combo like this:

1 cup Flax
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup soy protein
and if you want 2 tbs Garbanzo flour (this has a really strong taste to me so I use it sparingly).

Mix all together, adding or substracting what you feel it needs. Make a small batch and give it a test in a baked item first. I know it sounds like a waste of ingredients but LC baking/cooking is all trial and error at times.

Also, this recipe http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ns-w-pics.html is very forgiving so you don't need the oat fiber, maybe replace it with your garbanzo flour or coconut flour and not use the xanthan gum if you don't have it, just replace that with a 1 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp baking soda for the "rise" in bread items.

HTH

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Have you tried peanut flour? There are some recipes using this flour, and you might use it as a component of your flour mix. It's nutrient profile is close to almond flour.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Note: This bake mix should be reserved for when you have introduced grains back into your diet again. It is a moderate low-carb bake mix. It will make life so much easier when it comes to substituting this for white flour in your baking. Something to look forward to! However, I have to say one thing. Oat flour and soy flour are not that different carb-wise. Oat flour is a bit more, but not too bad, considering it is tastier, and has no adverse affect on the thyroid. Soy flour could achieve just the opposite of what one wants if it affects thyroid function and metabolism.

NUT-FREE ULTIMATE BAKE MIX
This works well as an alternative to the ultimate bake mixes which use ground nuts in the formulation. Use cup-for-cup instead of white, unbleached all-purpose wheat flour.

2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour (150 mL)
1/2 cup vital wheat gluten (125 mL)
1/2 cup vanilla whey protein, OR (125 mL)
natural whey protein powder
1/2 cup ground flax seeds (golden flax meal is best), (125 mL)
1/3 cup spelt, OR all-purpose, OR (75 mL)
whole wheat pastry flour

In large bowl, combine whole wheat pastry flour, vital wheat gluten, vanilla whey protein or natural whey protein, ground flax seeds and spelt, all-purpose or whole wheat pastry flour. Mix well. Add liquid in your recipe cautiously, keeping back 1/4 cup (50 mL) to 1/2 cup (125 mL) liquid, and adding only as necessary, until the correct consistency is achieved.

Yield: 2 1/2 cups (625 mL)
1/4 cup (50 ml) per serving
96.5 calories
10.3 g protein
2.2 g fat
7.7 g carbs OR 7.2 g carbs with all whole wheat pastry flour

Variation: Nut-Free Oat Ultimate Bake Mix: Substitute 1 cup (250 mL) oat flour, 1/2 cup (125 mL) vital wheat gluten, 1/2 cup (125 mL) vanilla whey protein and 1/2 cup (125 mL) ground flax seeds. Yield: 2 1/2 cups (625 mL)
1/4 cup (50 ml) per serving: 99.3 calories, 10.5 g protein, 2.7 g fat, 6.3 g carbs

Helpful Hints:
This bake mix is very good in muffins and loaves, coffee cakes and many cookies, however, with more refined, delicate cakes, it may be better to switch the amounts for the whole wheat pastry flour and spelt or all-purpose flour around: (8.4 g Carbs). On the other hand in the main recipe, for some muffins and loaves, it is possible to use only whole wheat pastry flour and omit spelt flour or all-purpose flour. (7.2 g Carbs)

I tried using 1 cup (250 mL) of vanilla whey protein in this Nut-free Ultimate Bake Mix; however, baked goods were very dry. The flax seeds solve that problem nicely. Typically, this bake mix will require about the same amount of liquid as your recipe calls for, however, it is better to take the cautious route as described in the recipe instructions, just in case. Natural whey protein powder should be used in applications, where extra sweetness would be a problem.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Variation: Nut-Free Oat Ultimate Bake Mix:[/B] Substitute 1 cup (250 mL) oat flour, 1/2 cup (125 mL) vital wheat gluten, 1/2 cup (125 mL) vanilla whey protein and 1/2 cup (125 mL) ground flax seeds. Yield: 2 1/2 cups (625 mL)
1/4 cup (50 ml) per serving: 99.3 calories, 10.5 g protein, 2.7 g fat, 6.3 g carbs
I used this one for years an LOVED the results I got! It is excellent, but a bit higher in 'grain' carbs for most people just starting out. One side note: Your weight loss will be accelerated if you avoid all grains and instead, focus on fresh foods in the beginning.
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
You are really a Jersey girl.Me too. When I first started my journey over 10 years ago. I thought " I can't give up pasta and italian bread" yes you can.
Later when you are further along you can have dreamfields pasta , and Quizoid's english muffins . And there are lots of other things. Cheese steaks with no bread, flaxseed muffins ,and many more. If you can eat soy , try the faux Atkins bake mix there are alot of things you can make with this. I'm allergic to soy and many others.

Jennifer Eloff ---She has many mixes we all use and love . She also has many great cookbooks .
Also KevinPa----- has bake mixes and a website.
LindaSue------Has a great website , with induction friendly recipes. We all love her recipes.

You will love it here.
Oh You can find vital wheat gluten at Super Walmart stores and Whey protein powder and others. Netrition is where we get alot of what we need in our WOL.
Check it out , just hit the blue Netrition and it will take you there.

May we all live our life as long as we want!

Last edited by rosethorns; 01-14-2011 at 11:10 AM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: momof3boysnj
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will give them a try. I enjoy experimenting with recipes so it won't be a chore. This time I really don't want to go back to old eating habits. I only have 10-20 lbs. left to lose, but I want to keep them off. I think I will be able to have enough variety to do this sucessfully and when I'm looking for more ideas I will know where to go! Thanks!
momof3boysnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:46 PM   #8
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Ok so let me complicate things even more...lol

Gluten Free
Nut Free
Flax Free

What bake mixture would you do?
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Pooti, I would use 1/4 to 1/2 cup coconut flour in the nut free bake mix instead of the flax meal.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:42 PM   #10
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Thanks Jen!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:33 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wait a minute - sorry - that doesn't take care of the gluten-free angle, Pooti.

I really should give some thought to a gluten-free and nut-free bake mix alternative. Since chia seeds and flax seeds are out for me due to hypothyroidism, I have to think what else will help with giving a bake mix the ability to produce moist results vs dry. My Splendid Gluten-Free Bake mix is great, but uses a large amount of ground almonds. One could possibly use peanut flour instead but I'm guessing everything would taste like peanuts. Our options are very limited at the moment, which is really too bad, but I'm guessing it won't be long before someone or a commercial company comes up with something, so hang in there, it's bound to get easier in time.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:37 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Come to think of it, several coconut flour recipes could be found online, but is that a problem for people with nut allergies? Curious me.