Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Using hemp protein instead of flax meal

I've searched for hemp a few times on this forum and have not found this particular suggestion, so I thought I'd share this "tip" with y'all.

I've found I much prefer baking with hemp protein over flax meal. Sure, it gives your breads/muffins/etc a strange greenish color, BUT it doesn't leave those stuck-to-your-teeth wads of sliminess that flax meal does!!!
Texture aside, it has a much better flavor too, IMO.

and, it has a great nutritional profile:

1/4 cup hemp vs flax:
carb 14g..........8g
fiber 14g..........8g
protein 11g.......6g

Look at that--almost double the fiber & protein!
Plus it's high in zinc & magnesium.

I don't particularly love it in shakes but it's great for baking!

Where the flax meal is 100% of the "flour" in the recipe, I've tried using flax, hemp, & almond flours in equal amounts to substitute, or 50% each flax & hemp--100% hemp seems a little gritty/metallic to me. For the microwave muffins, I've used equal amounts soy powder, hemp & almond. I just made a loaf in the bread machine using (mainly) hemp, oat fiber & WPI with much better results than my recent carbalose attempts!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2011, 10:57 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Wow I would like to know more about this. I've wondered alot about this. I'm allergic to flax. Do you have any pictures of your bread?
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:25 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 24Fan
Stats: from 2004 to 2006 lost 118 lbs. Maintaining
WOE: Atkins, low carb maintaining
Start Date: 2004
Would you test positive for drugs using Hemp protein powder? Seriously asking as I don't know. I've seen this product at the natural food store, including the 'milk'.
24Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:24 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Terilynn
Stats: back to LC 1/6/14, going to stick to & make it
WOE: LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Fan View Post
Would you test positive for drugs using Hemp protein powder? Seriously asking as I don't know. I've seen this product at the natural food store, including the 'milk'.
NO
there is no THC in hemp protein, powder, etc.
Terilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

i don't know how to add photos!
will try to figure that out and get back to you
Old 01-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ok here it is

Last edited by piratejenny; 01-12-2011 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: add photo
Old 01-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

i recently borrowed a neighbor's bread machine (i don't have a regular oven, just a small counter-top convection oven that burns everything) and i am struggling with it a bit. the LC dough seems to rise surprisingly well the first time, but hardly at all the second time, and the machine doesn't have a one-rise-only setting. i guess i could just make the dough by hand and let it rise once, but then my oven will probably ruin it

for the first loaf, i tried a LC recipe i found online, Low Carb Bread Machine Bread Mix Recipe
using 1 cup KevinPa's mix + 2T gluten (didn't have enough gluten for original recipe). it came out extremely dense and with a sort of weird texture/taste. it made decent French toast, though!

for the second loaf, my first hemp loaf, i rather randomly threw in a bit of this and a bit of that, but increased the yeast a little in hopes that it would rise better. the dough was way too moist, so i added a few tablespoons of gluten til it seemed okay. i also "cleverly" tried taking the dough out for a second to remove the kneading blade so i wouldn't have a huge whole in the bottom of my loaf. i mistimed this, the dough didn't rise and the bread was a bit too yeasty.

for the third loaf (pictured), i used less liquid (left out the 1/2 cup of cream) and correctly timed the removal of the blade. resulted in better-tasting bread but it still didn't rise the second time.

so here's my recipe so far, subject to improvement once i work through the 3 loaves i have already!

1 T oil
1/2 cup water (cold, according to bread machine manual)
1 beaten egg
1 T molasses or sugar (could be less probably, but wanted to help the yeast)
pinch of salt
1/2 cup hemp protein
1/2 cup oat fiber 500
1/2 cup WPI 5000
1/4 cup WPI 8000
1/4 cup PolyD fiber
1/4 inulin fiber (agave or Benefiber)
1 t xanthan gum
1/4 c gluten + more as needed if dough is too moist
1 T yeast

for bread machine: add oil to bottom of pan, then add liquid ingredients. "float" dry ingredients on top of liquid, sprinkle yeast evenly over top of dry ingredients. bake on "light white" or "rapid rise" setting.

this resulted in a slightly sweet but very "whole-wheat" tasting, moist & yummy bread with great texture!
Old 01-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #8
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Jenny a couple of questions for you, please?

1. Isn't hemp supposed to be very volatile because of the amount of omega 3's in it? Like won't it go rancid quickly and isn't it supposed to be used raw rather than at high baking temps? Info appreciated on this! I worry about this with flax too - even though we don't eat it cuz I'm allergic to flax.

2. From what I understand with lc flours and gluten free flours, they will never withstand a 2nd rise. So you have to do everything within the 1st rise window.

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

according to my rough* calculations, the entire loaf of bread (weighing about a pound) has:

125 grams of fiber
24 net carbs
84 grams of protein!!!

per slice: (you could easily get 12 from this loaf)
10.4g fiber
2 net carbs
7g protein

*between Bob's Red Mill, Arrowhead Mills, and Hodgson Mill, info on gluten varies wildly, from 6 to 12 carbs per 1/4 cup, 0 to 3 g fiber, and 20-24g protein. does anyone know if WPI can be substituted for the gluten? if so, and if you reduced the sugar to 1 tsp and increased the oat/agave fiber to replace the PolyD, carb count could be about 4 for the whole loaf! although, supposedly the yeast "eats" the sugar and so it might even be less!

(PolyD supplies 46g fiber and 6 net carb per 1/4 cup)
Old 01-12-2011, 12:15 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Pooticus,

thanks for the tip on 1st & 2nd rising. I thought the "quick" setting on the machine only had one rise...i'm going to try taking out the blade after the kneading so it doesn't "punch it down" for a 2nd rise and see if that helps. hopefully the rise cycle won't be too long and cause the dough to collapse. all this hassle because i don't have an oven!!!

to prevent hemp protein from going rancid, you can keep it in the fridge or freezer. even wheat flour goes rancid after a few months. Omega-3s are not destroyed by high heat (or else eating cooked fish for the "healthy fats" would be pointless, wouldn't it?). Hemp, like many foods, may be more beneficial eaten raw but it's good cooked, too!

Ask the Expert: Omega-3 Fatty Acids - Your Nutrition Questions Answered - The Nutrition Source - Harvard School of Public Health

I believe "volatile" means that an oil evaporates quickly & has nothing to do with rancidity. More of a characteristic of essential oils such as those used in aromatherapy.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terilynn View Post
NO
there is no THC in hemp protein, powder, etc.
Ok thanks!
Old 01-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
I've wondered about cooking with Hemp. I like Flax so its really just out of curiousity. I think someone posted before that they did not have good results cooking with Hemp. If I have some extra cash next time I go to Whole Foods, I might pick some up and see how it goes.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:03 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maru2
Stats: 170/145/135
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1/2007 restart 1/2010
Even though I'm happy with our muffin recipe for bread, I'm always game to try something new. I'm getting ready to make a netrition order so I will get some and report back. Thanks piratejenny.
maru2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I'm not trying to be a debbie downer, but if you can eat flax you really should stick to it, because it's healthier then hemp. Hemp has a higher ratio of omega 6 which we already get more of because of the foods we eat. For example, grain fed meats are higher in omega 6 than omega 3, most cooking oils except macadamia nut oil, nuts & seeds other than flax and chia, all have a much higher ratio of omega 6...see where I'm going with this? We already get a higher ratio of omega 6 in a lot of the foods we eat, but flax is much higher in omega 3's which we need more of. Our brains and our bodies need the right ratios of omega's to function correctly.

I don't purport to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't eat, but just showing in reality which one is healthier, if you can eat it. I'm also not saying you shouldn't eat hemp, rather that you should try to still eat flax as well as hemp, if you can.

That's our lesson for today. Omega's it's what's for dinner! LOL

Disclaimer: If the above information is wrong please excuse this post as the poster may or may not know what she is talking about. The facts are sometimes hard to determine.

Now back to the regularly scheduled recipes.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
I'm not trying to be a debbie downer,Disclaimer: If the above information is wrong please excuse this post as the poster may or may not know what she is talking about. The facts are sometimes hard to determine.

I feel like adding that disclaimer after EVERY post I make
Old 01-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #16
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Quote:
I'm not trying to be a debbie downer, but if you can eat flax you really should stick to it, because it's healthier then hemp. Hemp has a higher ratio of omega 6 which we already get more of because of the foods we eat. For example, grain fed meats are higher in omega 6 than omega 3, most cooking oils except macadamia nut oil, nuts & seeds other than flax and chia, all have a much higher ratio of omega 6...see where I'm going with this? We already get a higher ratio of omega 6 in a lot of the foods we eat, but flax is much higher in omega 3's which we need more of. Our brains and our bodies need the right ratios of omega's to function correctly.

I don't purport to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't eat, but just showing in reality which one is healthier, if you can eat it. I'm also not saying you shouldn't eat hemp, rather that you should try to still eat flax as well as hemp, if you can.

That's our lesson for today. Omega's it's what's for dinner! LOL

Disclaimer: If the above information is wrong please excuse this post as the poster may or may not know what she is talking about. The facts are sometimes hard to determine.

OMG I you!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:13 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Fan View Post

I feel like adding that disclaimer after EVERY post I make
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
OMG I you!
Hahaha, thanks you two!! I just didn't want to offend anyone, or sound like a know it all. :blush:

I think it's great how everyone eats different and has different requirements, it really makes for a versatile forum!! There is no right or wrong way, just whatever works for you!

I appreciate all the recipes and ideas everyone posts!!
Old 01-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maru2
Stats: 170/145/135
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1/2007 restart 1/2010
Quote:
Hahaha, thanks you two!! I just didn't want to offend anyone, or sound like a know it all. :blush:

I think it's great how everyone eats different and has different requirements, it really makes for a versatile forum!! There is no right or wrong way, just whatever works for you!

I appreciate all the recipes and ideas everyone posts!!
LOL...Thanks Gina!!
maru2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:22 PM   #19

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
poor little flax. I have never encountered "stuck-to-your-teeth wads of sliminess"! I wonder if that's like newts that got into your flax or something? LOL

I know, to each his own.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:16 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

yeah, i totally hate flax seed & flax seed meal. it's SO slimy...did you know there are recipes for home-made hair gel using flax seed?!

i take flax oil every day, though--the Barleans Chocolate-Raspberry "Essential Woman". Yum!

today i made hot mush with 1/4 cup each almond flour, peanut flour, and hemp protein, and a scoop of whey crisps. i haven't had hot cereal in, like, 2 years i think! it's so-o-o-o-o-o good!
Old 01-15-2011, 09:52 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
yeah, i totally hate flax seed & flax seed meal. it's SO slimy...did you know there are recipes for home-made hair gel using flax seed?!

i take flax oil every day, though--the Barleans Chocolate-Raspberry "Essential Woman". Yum!

today i made hot mush with 1/4 cup each almond flour, peanut flour, and hemp protein, and a scoop of whey crisps. i haven't had hot cereal in, like, 2 years i think! it's so-o-o-o-o-o good!
That's cool, natural hair products are a lot better than store bought!! I like the ones made with mayonnaise for conditioning too!!

Can I have the recipe for the flax hair gel?

Flax is much better for you when eaten in it's natural state rather than in a supplement.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
I liked flax before I started LC. Just shows how our tastes differ. One of my fave breakfasts from my HC days was Banana Walnut Flax Pancakes. I haven't had success duplicating this yet. Not the fault of the flax though. Its missing the banana flavor. But I've never found flax to be slimy, except as breading. I don't think it works well as breading. I use almond flour for that. But for my muffins and pancakes, I love it. But I've always been curious about Hemp. When I have some extra cash, I'll give it a try just to see.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:00 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

here's the hair gel recipe:
How to Make Homemade Flaxseed Hair Gel | eHow.com
Old 01-17-2011, 11:42 AM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH GINA You are so funny. You made my day Thank You!!!!!!!!

:r ofl:
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote