Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MiRedkitty
Stats: 247/159/150, or so
WOE: Atkins with a twist
Start Date: August 21, 2003
Got a pressure cooker for Christmas!

I used my new pressure cooker for the first time! Chicken Soup...it made the RICHEST broth that I have ever eaten and the chicken stayed so moist!

My next try will be beef stew

What else can I make?

Also, question...the cooker is aluminum and appears to have a burn mark on the bottom. Should I be concerned? Would stainless steel be better?
MiRedkitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2011, 07:42 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: wishbone
Stats: 260/158/160
WOE: low carb my weigh
once I cooked corned beef in it.....I never did it any other way. At work....I cook beans in it for refried beans. Great time saver!!! I also cook a huge beef flat in it for Hot Beef Sandwiches.

I can fit 2-3 stewing hens in my cooker....makes EXCELLENT broth. Sometimes, I even "recook" the bones, to make more broth. You just have to Strain the liquid when done.
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I'm glad you are having so much fun. I love mine.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Musa
Stats: 145.6/131.6/100
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/20/2010
I love mine too, I cook flat iron in it and it comes really tender... Also I make broth with ribs (with all the fat) ummmmmm yummi
Musa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:16 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
Not sure about the burn mark, but aluminum is the best, most even-heating substance you can get. Sometimes, depending on the brand, the cooker will have a stainless-steel outside with an aluminum core.

My old pressure cooker was aluminum, but didn't fare well in the dishwasher (aluminum never does). My new one is stainless, so I can put the bottom in the dishwasher without damage, and it has an aluminum core.

I love my pressure cooker!
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:10 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Patricia Dowd
Start Date: Feb 2010
We have a electric pressure cooker and we love it. My husband uses it to cook chicken wings and corned beef and cabbage. It takes hardly any time to cook in it and is so easy to use. I highly recommend it. We have cooked a roast with turnips and a few carrots and it was so good.
Patricia Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Stuffed peppers are excellent in the pressure cooker! And I would second (or third...) the approval for corned beef. There is just NO other way to cook it. Veggies do really well also.

You may want to consider getting a pressure cooking cook book that gives you charts for veggies, grains and meats.
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:31 AM   #8
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
I my Wolfgang Puck pressure cooker! Chicken Soup is my favorite, too. Another one I like is Chicken Parmesan made with FROZEN chicken breasts. So, quick and easy! I've cooked roasts, ribs, macaroni & cheese and on & on. Once finshed cooking, it automatically goes to the "keep warm" cycle.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #9
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Also try Google for "pressure cooker recipes" - I did that way back when I first got mine and came up with TONS of great ideas and recipes!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:51 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
I my Wolfgang Puck pressure cooker! Chicken Soup is my favorite, too. Another one I like is Chicken Parmesan made with FROZEN chicken breasts. So, quick and easy! I've cooked roasts, ribs, macaroni & cheese and on & on. Once finshed cooking, it automatically goes to the "keep warm" cycle.
Can you share your recipe for Chicken Parmesan? Sounds great, from frozen!!
magnamater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:00 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TulsaBelle
Stats: 363/343/1st goal 338
WOE: No sugar, flour, starchy veggies
Start Date: 12/30/10
Miss Vickie's the pressure cooker queen. Recipes on her webiste, link top right.

Pressure Cooker Recipes

We just got a pressure cooker too. I'm trying to overcome the terror I feel when the things starts to shoot steam (do not google "pressure cooker accident India eye" ~ eek!)

Good luck with it. It's an amazing way to make tough cuts of meat tender and cook supper fast.
TulsaBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiRedkitty View Post
I used my new pressure cooker for the first time! Chicken Soup...it made the RICHEST broth that I have ever eaten and the chicken stayed so moist!

My next try will be beef stew

What else can I make?

Also, question...the cooker is aluminum and appears to have a burn mark on the bottom. Should I be concerned? Would stainless steel be better?
I have two pressure cookers...they are both aluminum and I love them!!!

Roast made in a pressure cooker is the best tasting roast you will ever eat.

Brown the meat in a little oil on both sides until you get really good color then add a couple of cans of beef broth some minced dehydrated onion and garlic and cook away. At 15 pounds of pressure or high a 2 pound roast will need to cook for about 35 minutes, 3 pounds...cook for 45 minutes...4 pounds cook for 55 min. It's lip smacking good!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here are a few of my favorite recipes...of course I cut high carb products and sub low carb one where needed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chili With Small Red Beans

Ingredients

1 (16 ounce) package small red beans
9 cups water

2 pounds lean ground beef
2 medium onions – diced
2 stalks celery – diced
1 medium bell pepper – diced
6 cloves garlic – minced
1 package French’s Chili-O – chili seasoning mix
1 package Old El Paso (Hot and Spicy) – taco seasoning mix
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
3 beef bullion cubes
1 chicken bullion cubes
4 cups water

Directions
1. In a pressure cooker, cook the beans and 9 cups of water for 8 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit for 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. In a large stew pot, brown ground beef with vegetables until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender.
3. Add seasoning packets and stir well.
4. Add diced tomatoes, both cans of tomato paste, bullion cubes and 4 cups water stirring well.
5. Add beans and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a very slow simmer and simmer covered for 1 hour stirring every 10 to 15 minutes.
6. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and buttered crackers.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hungarian Goulash
Recipe courtesy Elizabeth Molnar

4 strips bacon, diced
2 onions, medium dice
1-tablespoon olive oil
2 1/2 pounds stewing beef, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 garlic clove
Small pinch of caraway seeds
2 tablespoons good quality sweet paprika
2 cups warm water
2 cubes beef bouillon
2 whole tomatoes, canned
1 green bell pepper
4 or 5 potatoes (I sub rutabagas for the potatoes)
2 tablespoons sour cream, plus more for plating

In a large pressure cooker….

Fry bacon until crisp, remove bacon from the post but keep the fat. Sauté onions in the bacon fat for a few minutes; do not allow the onions to brown. When onions become glossy, remove them from the pan and place with the bacon. Add the beef a small batch at a time and sauté on just one side until the meat is browned. Remove from the pan; when all the meat is browned return the bacon, onions and meat to the cooker.

Meanwhile, chop and crush the garlic with the caraway seeds; add to meat and onions. Remove pot from heat. Stir in paprika rapidly with a wooden spoon. Immediately after paprika is absorbed, add the warm water. The water should just cover the meat. Add beef bouillon cubes. Prepare the tomatoes by cutting into 1-inch pieces. Core green peppers and cut into strips; add the tomatoes and green pepper. Place cover on pressure cooker and bring up to high pressure and cook for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow pressure to drop naturally.

Peel potatoes and cut into bite-sized cubes and set aside in a bowl of water. Drain potatoes and add them to the pot. Cook uncovered for 30 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender. Once goulash is finished, dissolve sour cream and a little of the goulash sauce in a cup. Add to goulash, it should give a creamy consistency.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SWISS STEAK in the Pressure Cooker

2 lbs. round steak
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp. fat
1 medium diced onion
1 medium bunch diced celery
1 medium diced green pepper
1 can tomato soup
1-cup water

Brown meat on both sides put the rest of the ingredients in the pressure cooker and cook 15 to 20 minutes. Allow pressure to drop on it’s own
Old 01-04-2011, 11:51 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: its4me
WOE: Weight Watchers Points Plus
Start Date: 4/24/11
I use mine to make a delish pot roast, then divide the meat in three: 1. for dinner, 2. for spaghetti sauce, 3. for chili.

Lots of different stocks - chicken, vegetable, beef, turkey.

Beans, rice, vegies, mac n cheese. All are wonderful and quick once you learn how it works.

Mine is electric and has a browning feature which is great!
its4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:13 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BWYA
Stats: started 1 Jan 11: 272.6/243.0/140
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: 1 January 2011
yum! and here I've only been using mine for canning...
BWYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #15
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
Can you share your recipe for Chicken Parmesan? Sounds great, from frozen!!
I throw in 2 to 4 frozen boneless/skinless chicken breasts covered by any pasta sauce. I use a jar of Classico. I don't add any liquid because the sauce gets too runny. I set it on the "meat" function (I'm assuming that would be "high" on another electric PC) and set the timer for 10 minutes for 2 breasts or 12 minutes if using 3 to 4. When finished, I top with shredded mozzerella cheese and some gtrated parmesan. I then put the cover over it until the cheese has melted. This is very good and the chicken is really tender.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cgarza
Start Date: July 2002; Jan 2005
Dinner in 8 minutes:
LC link sausage, and cabbage.
You don't have to add anything else....but you can add some veggies IF you like (I ususally throw in some onion), and whatever spices you like if the sausage isn't too spicy.

Thanks for this post.....my pressure cooker has been put away too long! I'll get it out and use it the rest of the winter.
cgarza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I recently got my old pressure cooker out and made a delicious beef stew. I've tried using turnips instead of potatoes before, and they were good, but this time, I used rutabagas. They were fabulous! I'll definitely make that again.
theredhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:09 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lighterbeing
Stats: 2much /...I rarely weigh.../160
WOE: Atkins most of the time
Start Date: June 2009

I love my pressure cooker, use it weekly or more. Such a time saver! I want to try the chicken wings, do you just pour the wing sauce in there with the wings and cook? Sometimes things get so tender they just fall apart.
I want to try that roast with rutabagas. I also usually use turnips. I have 2 rutabagas on my counter right now. They just taste so nutritious it justifies the extra carbs, to me. And the hubby loves them. I almost cut off a finger once trying to peel them. Does anyone have a tip for cutting up rutabagas?
lighterbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MiRedkitty
Stats: 247/159/150, or so
WOE: Atkins with a twist
Start Date: August 21, 2003
All these recipes sound awesome! Gonna have to get "crackin" on trying them out! YUM - what a job!

I tried beef stew, tonight for dinner...stew meat, green beans, celeriac (tried as a potato substitute), mushrooms, onion, celery and diced tomato, marsala cooking wine, thickened with xanthum gum.

Worked out delicously!
MiRedkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:35 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: its4me
WOE: Weight Watchers Points Plus
Start Date: 4/24/11
Going to pull mine out today to use this week on some kind of chicken-from-frozen thing. So convenient and delish!
its4me is offline   Reply With Quote