Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: WildflowerMama
Stats: 185.5/143.2/revised to 140
Start Date: Nov 2006
Subbing almond flour for regular flour in baking

Does anyone know what the guidelines are for subbing almond flour for all purpose flour in baking recipes?

I found a luscious recipe recipe for chocolate glazed cookies that call for regular flour.

Here is the recipe if anyone is interested. It's from Nigella Lawson.
Cookies:
2 1/4 sticks (18 Tbsp.) soft butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
Topping:
2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup boiling water , from a kettle
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Christmas sprinkles
Directions
Preheat the oven to 325° and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl and, when you have a light, soft whipped mixture, beat in the 1/3 cup cocoa powder (sifting if it is lumpy) and, when that's mixed in, beat in the flour with the baking soda and baking powder. Or just put everything in the processor and blitz, if you prefer.

This mixture is very soft and sticky and I find it easiest to form the cookies wearing my disposable vinyl gloves, so pinch off pieces about 1 tablespoon in size, roll them into balls, then slightly flatten into fat discs as you place them, well spaced, on your cookies sheet. You should get about 12 on at a time.

Bake each batch for 15 minutes; even though the cookies won't feel as if they've had enough time, they will continue to cook as they cool. They will look slightly cracked on top, and it's this cozy, homespun look I love.*

Move the cookie sheet to a cold surface and let it sit for 15 minutes before transferring the cookies to a wire rack, with a sheet of newspaper under it (to catch drips while topping them).

To make the topping, put the cocoa powder, confectioners' sugar, water and vanilla extract into a small saucepan and whisk over a low heat until everything is smoothly combined. Take off the heat for 10 minutes.

When the cookies are cool, drizzle each one with a tablespoonful of chocolate glaze—it will help "glue" the sprinkles on in a minute. Use the back of the spoon to help spread the mixture, though an uneven dribbled look is part of their charm. After you've iced 6 cookies, scatter with some of the Christmas sprinkles and continue until all the cookies are topped. If you ice them all before sprinkling, you will find the cocoa "glue" has dried and the sprinkles won't stick on.*

Losing weight is hard, but being fat is harder. Choose your hard.

Don't sit if you can stand. Don't stand if you can walk. Don't walk if you can run. Get Moving!
WildflowerMama is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I'm not sure in this recipe. In the toll house chocolate chip cookie recipe I use 2 cups of almonds flour and they come out great. They are different, they are more cake like cookies but it works for me. I would say just experment and tells us your results. I would love this recipe. I hope this helps.
rosethorns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I think Chicken Lady had some guidelines posted at one point. Something like 2:1 almond flour to regular flour?
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:50 AM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I would suggest you cut the recipe WAY down to make less cookies, and just sub one for one almond meal for flour. see how they turn out. tweak it and do it again till you are happy with it. you don't want to make 4 dozen cookies without being pretty sure you love them! LOL

I always findthat almond meal items are much drier than things made with flour. This is odd because it's so high in fat, but there you go. This has lots of butter but you may need even more. I often add an extra egg yolk, but these don't have eggs, so I dunno about that. Might still work.

just don't sprinkle them with sugar, please? LOL
Old 12-19-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Just a thought..Real flour absorbs the butter..Almond flour is buttery in itself and will not absorb so much butter.

Use one of Jennifer's Bake Mixes which has Almond flour/wheat gluten/protein powder in it, plus cut down on the butter.

I agree with Raven...only do 1/2 of a recipe to start.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

I can usually substitute 1/3 cup of coconut flour for 1 cup of regular flour, while adding enough eggs to make up for the volume. A recipe I made today (Honey Sandballs!) I used coconut flour and had to add an egg, even though the original recipe does not call for it. The cookies turned out exactly the same.

I have asked this same question on the board a while back, but I can't find it at the moment. I think I remember seeing someone said you would need to add more almond flour than regular flour for some reason, almost doubling it. Scale the recipe down by 1/2, and then by another 1/2, as another poster suggested. Then double the flour (1 cup of almond flour instead of 1/2 cup) and keep all other ingredients the same. See where that takes you.

Good luck!
TheHealthyAdvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:17 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: WildflowerMama
Stats: 185.5/143.2/revised to 140
Start Date: Nov 2006
Found an answer on Elena's Pantry

Quote:
I found on Joan Nathan Online Chat 2: PastryScoop.com chocolate and dessert recipes and baking tips for pastry chefs and bakers. the suggestion of using 5/8 cup (1/2 cup + 2 tbsp) almond flour to 1 one cup of regular flour. I haven't tried this ratio so if you do, let us know how it works out.
WildflowerMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:54 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Steak_Fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildflowerMama View Post
Found an answer on Elena's Pantry
Great work. I have not substituted almond flour to any recipes yet, but I'm real interested. I found it at 16g carbs/cup. Is this correct?
Steak_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote