Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
Jenna Maries flour blends

Does anyone still use Jenna Maries cake mix blend and/or the bread flour blend? I am mostly interested in the cake mix blend and how it compares to the other mixes developed on this board recently - like kevin's mix, etc. It's been years since she had her website and when her flour mixes were talked about here. I've kept the recipes but have never made them.
judytab is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
I used to use Jena Marie's flour blends all of the time. I can't find my recipes for them. Could you post yours, and we'll look at the differece between others recipes. TIA
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:21 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
I found this in a search:

Quote:
Enough to make plenty of Jena Marie's Cake Flour Blend! Contains one each of the following:

1 pound Resistant Starch
1 pound Wheat Protein Isolate
1 pound Oat Flour
1 pound Oat Fiber

This is the mixture for the Jenna Marie's cake flour.
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTSDALEJULIE View Post
I used to use Jena Marie's flour blends all of the time. I can't find my recipes for them. Could you post yours, and we'll look at the differece between others recipes. TIA
Jena Marie's Cake Mix blend

1½ cups Resistant Starch
1¼ cups Wheat Protein Isolate
1¾ cups Oat Flour
2½ cups Oat Fiber

Mix all together. Per cup, 122 calories, 72.6g carbs, 46.5 g fiber for a net count of 26/cup

It's rather high in carbs compared to Kevin's and most of Jennifer's bake mixes but I'm still finding an off taste to Kevin's mix and I don't like mixes with protein powder so I wanted to mix up a better tasting flour for some christmas goodies. Jennifer's vital ultimate baking mix with oat flour is 24.4 so that is a possibility - I'm wondering which one would be better. I can put up with the lower carb mixes just for myself, but if I'm baking for other people also, I wanted to find something that would be low(er) carbs and taste as good as possible.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Do you mind the taste of resistant wheat starch? Some people find it off-putting. If you do, you could use reisitant corn starch.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Do you mind the taste of resistant wheat starch? Some people find it off-putting. If you do, you could use reisitant corn starch.
I don't care for the taste of R wheat starch. From what I remember, she used R corn starch which is when I first heard of it. If I make it, I will definitely use the corn starch.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:03 PM   #7
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
This is the one I have:

Jena Marie's Bread Flour Blend
Category : Ingredients:
120 grams (4 1/4 oz) Jena Marie's Vital Wheat Gluten
110 grams (4 oz) Jena Marie's Resistant Starch
70 grams (2 1/2 oz) gluten flour (or bread flour)
50 grams (1 3/4 oz) Jena Marie's Wheat Protein Isolate
30 grams (1 oz) Jena Marie's Oat Fiber
30 grams (1 oz) Jena Marie's Oat Flour

Measure and add each ingredient into a large bowl. Sift ingredients at least 3 times. Should measure 4 cups after sifting
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1096 Calories; 5g Fat (3.5% calories from fat); 105g Protein; 215g Carbohydrate; 88g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 59mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 1/2 Grain(Starch).

NOTES: Serving information per cup: 274 Calories; 1g Fat (3.5% calories from fat); 26g Protein; 54g Carbohydrate; 22g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 15mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch).

The ingredients are measured by weight in order for the blend to be the same each time you make it.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:24 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you all. I don't remember which one I used. Julie
Old 12-19-2010, 11:08 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Julie (or anyone), have you ever used Jennifer's Vital Ultimate Bake Mix with the oat flour? I may make that today and try it for some cookies this week. I have both of Jenna Marie's recipes but was more interested in the cake mix blend. I really should have experimented with them both before this week!
Old 12-20-2010, 04:54 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/174.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Judy-can you let us know how your cake turns out? thanks and which formula you used?

Last edited by jbatchelor; 12-20-2010 at 04:56 AM..
jbatchelor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:52 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I have gone back to using Jena Marie's flour blends because they simply beat every low carb bake mix I have tried. I dont' worry too much about the carb count, since I tend to eat only a small amount of whatever gets baked at any given time (it's so filling with all of the fiber!)

Her basic white bread is very easy and relatively quick to make, even after coming home from work. I throw it all into the breadmaker, let it mix and knead and then take it out and let it rise in the bread pan and bake it in the oven. It makes wonderful breakfast toast and garlic bread for dinner. Also, I made "angel biscuits" yesterday and subbed her flours -- 1/2 cake flour and 1/2 bread flour -- wow!

I use resistant corn starch -- I believe that is what her version used, too.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:06 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

If anyone is interested in finding Jena Marie's website, the "Wayback Machine" Internet Archive: Wayback Machine will take you to her archived web pages. I had not saved all of her recipes and was so glad to find them again! you have to put in her exact address to get it to take you back: Temporarily Disabled
Old 12-20-2010, 08:18 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

BTW, I could not seem to make that last post take jena marie's url without translating it into "temporarily disabled" (should I click on the "remove link" button next time?). Just click on that to get her url to come up in your address bar, then copy it and put it into the wayback machine if anyone would like to get to her old website.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:16 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

What is her exact address? TIA. Julie
Old 12-20-2010, 09:26 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

her exact address is I put in when I tried to post it the first time and the post came out with the name of the website or Temporarily Disabled instead of simply the url. There must be some way to turn off the automatic link, but I don't know what it is.

I'll try this way: her website name is: jena-maries You have to put in the www. and the .com in the beginning and end. Do this in the wayback machine when it asks for the url.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:25 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
I have gone back to using Jena Marie's flour blends because they simply beat every low carb bake mix I have tried. I dont' worry too much about the carb count, since I tend to eat only a small amount of whatever gets baked at any given time (it's so filling with all of the fiber!)

I use resistant corn starch -- I believe that is what her version used, too.
Thanks for the info on how it compares to other bake mixes. I'm sure I also remember that she used corn starch. Even though her mix is relatively high in carbs, it's less than 1/3 of regular flour and for special occasions, I'm OK with that - especially if others are going to eat it. If I make something that I will eat regularly, I'll use one of the lower carb flour mixes.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:29 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Here are her archives if I can get it.

Internet Archive Wayback Machine

All of her recipes are not there if you have any I would love them. Like:
White bread
Cinnamon bread
Berry Parfiat

Cinnamon Bread

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Jena Marie
Serving Size : At least 16
Category : Breads & Flours
Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups water, warm

2 tablespoons butter

1 tablespoon sugar

1/4 cup Jena Marie's Maltitol

1 teaspoon cinnamon

3 1/2 teaspoons yeast

1 each egg, room temp

1 cup Jena Marie's Resistant Starch

1/2 cup Jena Marie's Wheat Protein Isolate

1/2 cup whole wheat flour, white

1/2 cup Jena Marie's Oat Flour

3/4 cup Jena Marie's Oat Fiber

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1. Add ingredients in the order listed to bread machine. Set on dough cycle and let machine knead dough through one cycle but don't let it rise in the machine. I just use my machine to knead the dough. It's a sticky dough, but after the proper kneading it comes together in a smooth ball. You can also knead by hand or with a mixer. Resist the temptation to add more flour!

Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge

2. After the kneading, shape bread into rolls or into 2 loaves of bread.

Click to enlarge

3. Lightly butter top of bread and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm spot for about 45 minutes or until doubled.

Click to enlarge

4. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.

Click to enlarge

5. Let cool in pan for 10 - 15 minutes, then remove from pan and let cool completely.

Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 135 Calories; 2g Fat (14.6% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 17g Dietary Fiber; 16mg Cholesterol; 227mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES: This makes great french toast.

Make dough into rolls and after baking, spread with cream cheese frosting and sprinkle with chopped, roasted nuts.

Four Ingredient Butter Pound Cake

Click to enlarge Click to enlarge

Serving Size : 8
Category : Desserts Ingredients:
1 cup Butter, no substitution
4 whole eggs
1/2 pound (about 1 1/3 cup) Jena Marie's Maltitol
1 1/2 cups Jena Marie's Cake Flour Blend

1. Cream Butter with Maltitol until light and fluffy.

2. Add eggs, one at a time, beating on low speed after each addition.

3. Add Jena Maries Cake Flour Blend, mixing only until smooth.

4. Scrape into a regular loaf sized pan that has been lightly oiled.

5. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour. Check to see if done & bake a little longer if needed. Cool 30 minutes in pan before turning out on wire rack to cool completely.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 366 Calories; 25g Fat (59.1% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 36g Carbohydrate; 31g Dietary Fiber; 156mg Cholesterol; 272mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Lean Meat; 5 Fat.

NOTES: Since this cake has no levening agents, it will only rise a small amount because of whipping air into the eggs.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:33 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Here are some more:Les Massepains Au Chocolate

Recipe By: Rose Levy Berenbaum-Low Carb version by Jena Marie
Serving Size : 40 cookies
Category : Cookies & Bars
Ingredients:
Ganache:

6 ounces Jena Marie's Sugar Free Dark Chocolate Chips

2/3 cup heavy cream, or creme fraiche

Cookie Batter:

1 1/4 cups almonds, sliced

1 cup Jena Marie's Maltitol

3 tablespoons cocoa

10 teaspoons Jena Marie's Powdered Egg Whites

10 Tablespoons warm water

1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

1/2 cup Jena Marie's Maltitol, sifted

Ganache:
1. Break the chocolate into pieces and process in a food processor until very fine.
2. Heat cream to the boiling point then pour over chocolate. Let sit for 1 minute and stir to combine. Continue stirring until smooth. Let cool for several hours. It is spreadable at room temp.

Cookies:
3. Preheat the oven to 300F.
4. Sprinkle powdered egg whites over hot water.
5. Process the almonds, maltitol and cocoa until the almonds are finely ground.
6. Whisk powdered egg whites into water and pour into mixing bowl.
7. In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form when the beater is raised slowly. Gradually beat in the remaining maltitol until stiff peaks form when the beater is raised slowly. Using a large rubber spatula, fold the whites into the nut mixture.
8. Using a pastry bag (or a 1-gallon zip-seal bag with one corner cut off) pipe small balls of the mixture about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. (A teaspoon can also be used)
9. Bake about 25 to 30 minutes
10. Use a small metal spatula to dislodge one cookie. If it crushes from the pressure, bake a little longer. Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool on the baking sheets.
11. To remove cookies easily, lift the parchment off the baking sheet, carefully turn it upside-down and brush the back with water. Reinvert the parchment and remove the cookies with your fingers.
12. With a small metal spatula, spread some ganache on the bottom of one of the cookies and attach a second one to it. continue in this way with all of the cookies.
13. Stored airtight, these cookies will keep for months. Once spread with ganache, however, they are best eaten within 2 days as they begin to soften and lose their appealing crunch.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 76 Calories; 5g Fat (57.3% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 6mg Cholesterol; 13mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat. **Note Sugar alcohols are counted as fiber

NOTES: Delicious, nutty cocoa meringues. The contrast of crisp chewy meringue and creamy chocolatey ganache is superb!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sour Cream Coffee Cake

Click to enlarge

Serving Size : 12
Category : Desserts
Ingredients:
=== CAKE ===

1 cup Jena Marie's Maltitol, plus

2 tablespoons Jena Marie's Maltitol, divided

2 teaspoons cinnamon

1 cup sour cream

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 1/2 cups Cake Flour Blend

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup oil

2 eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/2 cup pecans, chopped

=== OPTIONAL GLAZE ===

2/3 cup Jena Marie's Maltitol

2 tablespoons Hood Carb Countdown Milk

1. For the Cake: Place a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease an 8-inch square cake pan and set aside.

2. Combine 1/3 cup of maltitol with the cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside. Stir together the sour cream and soda in a small bowl and set aside. Sift together the cake flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.

3. Use a mixer to beat the remaining maltitol (2/3 cup plus 2 Tablespoons), oil, eggs and vanilla on medium speed until smooth, 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. On low speed, alternately add the dry ingredients and the sour cream mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix until smooth.

4. Pour enough batter into the pan to half-fill it. Sprinkle over 2/3 of the cinnamon sugar, then 2/3 of the nuts. Add the remaining batter and smooth the top. Sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon sugar and nuts; press them into the batter.

5. If using a glass cake pan, place it on a baking sheet. Bake the cake until it's browned and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Check at 25 minutes. If using a glass cake pan, you might want to remove the baking sheet and move the cake to the top shelf of the oven. Cool the cake in the pan on a rack for 20 to 30 minutes, then invert it onto a plate, sugar-side up. Cool the cake to room temperature. I place plastic wrap on a plate and turn the cake out on it. Then I place the serving plate on top, flip over and remove plastic wrap.

6. For the Optional Glaze: Combine the maltitol and milk, stir until smooth. Pour the glaze over the cake and let it set. (The cake can be kept at room temperature up to three days, covered. Frozen, wrapped airtight, up to a month. Bring to room temperature before serving.)

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 273 Calories; 17g Fat (53.5% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 31g Carbohydrate; 26g Dietary Fiber; 40mg Cholesterol; 370mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 3 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates. ** Note: Sugar Alcohol carbs are counted as fiber.

NOTES: This makes a nice, moist coffee cake. If you like cinnamon, you will love this!

Cheddar Cracker Crisps

Click to enlarge

Serving Size : 12 servings/10 crackers
Preparation Time : 15 minutes
Category : Other
Ingredients:
1/2 cup unsalted butter - (1 stick), softened

8 ounces coarsely-grated cheddar cheese - (2 cups)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon cayenne

1 cup Jena Marie's Cake Flour Blend

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Beat together butter and cheddar in a bowl with an electric mixer until smooth, then beat in remaining ingredients.

3. Form dough into logs about the width of a quarter to a 50 cent piece. Wrap in plastic wrap and store in fridge. When cold cut into coin sized pieces and bake on parchment lined cookie sheet for 5 minutes on bottom rack, then move to top rack and bake for another 5 minutes.

4. Let cool. Store in zippy bag when completely cool.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 171 Calories; 14g Fat (69.4% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 41mg Cholesterol; 284mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Fat.

NOTES: Makes approximatly 120 crackers. 10 servings of 12 crackers yields 2 net carbs!

I used 1/2 tablespoon of Indian extra hot ground red pepper. Whew!! The amount in the recipe is mild, so adjust accordingly.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:44 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Some more:

Berry Shortcake Parfait

Serving Size : 8
Category : Desserts Ingredients:
1 recipe of Four Ingredient Butter Pound Cake
4 cups Fresh or frozen berries
Whipped cream

Cut cake into 8 slices, then cut each slice into 8 cubes.

In dessert glasses or large wine glasses (see photo) layer 1/2 cake cubes, berries, whipped cream. Make one more layer of each and top each with a large ripe berry.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 593 Calories; 48g Fat (70.5% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 43g Carbohydrate; 33g Dietary Fiber; 237mg Cholesterol; 295mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 4 1/2 Fat.

NOTES: I like to cut large berries and sprinkle them with sweetener and let it sit in the fridge until the juices make a thin syrup. Works very well with frozen berries.

Also great if you pour just a touch of Grand Mariner over the berries while they are "juicing".

Baked Chocolate Custard

Serving Size : 7
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Ingredients:
3 cups heavy cream

1 cup Jena Marie's Sugar Free Dark Chocolate Chips -- Heaping cup

7 egg yolks, whole

1/4 cup grand Marnier -- If desired, or favorite liqueur

Preheat oven 200 degrees c (400 degrees f).

Place cream in large saucepan. Bring to a low boil. Add chocolate. Take mixture off the heat. Stir until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is smooth.

In a bowl whisk yolks and liqueur. Slowly pour in chocolate mixture. Stir until ingredients are combined. Then pour mixture evenly into ramekins.

Place ramekins in roasting tin. Fill tin with cold water to halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Place in oven for 15-20 minutes until skin forms over each ramekin. Remove ramekins from the tray cool, cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge overnight.

Serve with whipped cream.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 592 Calories; 55g Fat (89.9% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 352mg Cholesterol; 78mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 8 1/2 Fat.

I hope everybody likes these.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

New Improved Cake Flour Blend

Serving Size : 7 cups
Category : Breads & Flours Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups Jena Marie's Resistant Starch
1 1/4 cups Jena Marie's Wheat Protein Isolate
1 3/4 cups Jena Marie's Oat Flour
2 1/2 cups Jena Marie's Oat Fiber

All the ingredients are available in Jena Marie's Cake Flour Blend Pack.

Put all ingredients in large bowl and mix well with a large whisk.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): Per cup: 323 Calories; 1g Fat (2.7% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 103g Carbohydrate; 84g Dietary Fiber; 19 net carbs; 0mg Cholesterol; 52mg Sodium.

NOTES: This is a lighter flour to use in cakes, muffins and cookies.

Raspberry Trifle

Serving Size : 14
Ingredients:
1/2 bag Jena Marie's White Cake Mix

8 ounces cream cheese

1/4 cup Jena Marie's Maltitol

1 1/2 cups heavy cream, whipped

3 cups fresh raspberries

2 ounces Jena Marie's Sugar-Free Dark Chocolate, chopped or grated

1. Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions. Cool; cut into 1-inch cubes. (1/2 bag mix, 1 egg, 1/6 cup oil, 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons water. Bake in 1 8 inch baking pan.)

2. In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and maltitol until smooth. Fold in whipped cream.

3. In a trifle bowl, layer half of the cake cubes, 1 cup of raspberries, half of the cream cheese mixture and half of the chocolate. Repeat layers. Top with the remaining raspberries. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 14 servings: 242 Calories; 18g Fat (61.5% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; 13g Dietary Fiber; 53mg Cholesterol; 61mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 3 Fat.

Chippers

Serving Size : 24
Category : Cookies & Bars
Ingredients:
4 teaspoons Jena Marie's Powdered Egg Whites

4 tablespoons water, warm

1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 pinch salt

3/4 cup Jena Marie's Maltitol

1 cup Jena Marie's Sugar Free Dark Chocolate Chips

1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).

In a large mixing bowl, add powdered egg whites and water. Gently wisk together until mixed. About one minute.

Beat egg whites until glossy. Add cream of tartar, vanilla and salt. Add maltitol and beat until stiff. Fold in chocolate chips and nuts.

Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto foil. Put cookie sheets in oven and TURN OFF OVEN. Leave in oven overnight.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 88 Calories; 7g Fat (57.0% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 9g Dietary Fiber; trace Cholesterol; 15mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat.

Shortbread Bars

Printable Format

Recipe By: busycooks.about.com/ Low carb by Jena Marie
Serving Size : 48 Cookies
Category : Cake Mix Recipes
Ingredients:
1 egg white

1/4 tsp. vanilla

2 Tbsp. Jena Marie's Maltitol or Jena Marie's Perfect Blend Sweetener

1 bag Jena Marie's Sugar-Free White Cake Mix or Jena Marie's Sugar-Free Crème Cake Mix

1/2 cup butter, softened

3 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened

1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In small bowl, beat egg white with vanilla and sweetener until stiff peaks form. In large bowl, with same beaters, mix cake mix, butter and cream cheese until a crumbly dough forms.

Press dough into jelly roll pan. Spread with egg white mixture and sprinkle with nuts.

Bake at 375 degrees F. for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items):

We have to use different sweetners.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:58 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by judytab View Post
Julie (or anyone), have you ever used Jennifer's Vital Ultimate Bake Mix with the oat flour? I may make that today and try it for some cookies this week. I have both of Jenna Marie's recipes but was more interested in the cake mix blend. I really should have experimented with them both before this week!
I tried Jenna Marie's and did not like it at all. It had this 'funky' melted rubber ball flavor...shudder... But then...I also do NOT like Carbquick or Splenda...blech! I think I must have this really super-sensitive palate when it comes to 'flour' substitutes...

Before I found that I was gluten-sensitive, I had switched over to all of Jennifer Eloff's mixes. Her recipes actually turn out like their high-carb cousins without sacrificing taste or texture. And you don't need to purchase any 'strange' ingredients. Most can be purchased right from major grocery chains. That alone makes it worth the effort to try them.

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:23 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Donna,
Old 12-20-2010, 06:40 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Oops, that one went before I finished typing! Anyway, as I was saying... Donna, thanks for your info. I'm sensitive to odd flavors also. I can't do carbquik either. I've not tried Jennifer's mixes but in the past, I haven't liked the dry texture of the baked products when protein powder was in the mix so I've been reluctant to try them. That's why I was wondering about the Jenna Marie mix. I've decided now to use reg flour for the crust in the dessert I'm making for Christmas - the 4 layer chocolate dessert, all SF of course. My grandchildren really like this and I'd rather have the crust taste good than be LC. I've made it a few times and am always disappointed in the crust when I use any kind of LC flour mix. Maybe I'll experiment with Jennifer's mixes after the holidays.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Judy,

Not all Jennifer's mixes contain whey protein powder. And I agree that sometimes the addition of protein powder does contribute to a dry finished product. However, her Vital Ultimate Bake mixes only contain ground almonds, some oat flour and vital wheat gluten. There is NO whey protein in the Vital mix.

Definitely check it out...I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:38 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Rose, thanks for all those recipes. I'm sure we could use Jenifer Eloff's bake mixes, and other sweetners for the Maltitol. I'm sure going to try some. Julie
Old 12-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

I agree Julie. I want to try some with Jen's mixes.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:29 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Rose, I want to thank you for the recipes also. I will save them and try them eventually.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bellajack
Has anyone tried substituting for the maltitol in these recipes? I do not get along well with maltitol at all. What blend of AS would be good to try? Some other threads have used a combination of PolyD, erythritol, Splenda, etc., and I'm not sure what is the best blend. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Some of these threads are so old, and I have not found a recent thread that says what a good blend of sweeteners/bulking agents is in 2013. I do have PolyD, Isomalt, Powdered Erytritol, EZ-Sweetz, Splenda Granular, Splenda Brown Sugar Baking Blend, Brown Sugar Twin, & Stevia (liquid, powder & Truvia). I used to have Sweet One, but I'm out of that. TIA.
bellajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
Start Date: September 2011
I believe the recipes were converted so that the sweetener was a one to one with sugar, so if it calls for a cup of maltitol, then substitute your favorite blend of sweeteners to equal 1 cup of sugar.

I love splenda and liquid splenda, but most of those recipes need the bulk that sugar or maltitol would give, so with the sweeteners you have on hand I would mix up some of the PolyD, Isomalt and powdered E and give that a try. Maybe 1/3 each to make a cup and then add some of the liquid sweetener if needed.

The PolyD and Isomalt give me the same problems maltitol gives most people!

Report back on what you make! I would love to know how some of these recipes turn out.
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
PolyD is 10% as sweet as sugar. Erythritol is 70% as sweet. I'm not sure about isomalt, but I think it's 90% as sweet. So you will probably need extra. Also, I don't know how you handle sugar alcohols. Usually erythritol is safe for everyone. Both polyD and isomalt are more problematic.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote