Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #61
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,116
Gallery: CreekWatcher
subcribing
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2011, 09:12 AM   #62
Way too much time on my hands!
 
metqa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 12,582
Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Beeb, Have I toooold...You lately.....that I LOVE YOU!??!
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #63
Major LCF Poster!
 
crazywoman-n-wy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: WY
Posts: 2,474
Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoanut View Post
Has anyone tried making the LC Condensed milk in the microwave? My stove is not working. I use the microwave or toaster oven for all cooking.
OK, I just tried this with some tweaks (sorry just had to try some changes). I did cook it in the microwave to see for you cocoanut, and cause I'd rather nuke than cook over stove. It worked in the microwave. You do have to watch it carefully, stopping after the first minute & stirring, then more often till it is thick. I cooked about 3 min total, but microwaves vary.

So for my tweaks.
I wanted to try regular cream rather than the table cream (media crema). So I used:

7 1/2 oz heavy cream (approx, you could use 7oz or 8)
2 TBsp Erythritol
1/16 tsp pure stevia extract (use a good brand)
2 drops Sweetzfree
(this is probably not as sweet as the original recipe, so others may want more sweetening)(use your favorite sweeteners to = 2/3 cup, this is probably not)
1 TBsp vanilla whey protein pwd
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp DaVinci vanilla
1/4 tsp Gluccomannan (I would use only 1/8 next time)

It did thicken up, but would use less Glucc next time as it is a little slickish (hate to use the word slick or slimy but that is as close to a description as I can come up with -- gummy?). Not bad but slightly. I think the 1/8 would be good. Or use the 2 TBsp of the whey pp in Linda/Beeb's recipe.

Haven't used it in a recipe yet. It is cooling. MAYBE later this evening.

Tho I did not use the media creama, I'm sure this recipe (watched closely) will work in the microwave with it & Linda's recipe.
__________________
Billie

***********
For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
***
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:21 PM   #64
Major LCF Poster!
 
crazywoman-n-wy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: WY
Posts: 2,474
Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Came back to post that this set up VERY thick when it cooled. (Definitely do NOT use 1/4 tsp Glucc. Probably not even 1/8 tsp.)
I did make Linda's Magic cookies with it, or tired to. I should have added some DaVinci syrup to it to thin it down some before trying. But I used about 2/3 cup of it, spreading it best I could over the top of the other ingredients (like Christine asked about). I actually couldn't spead it well, since it was so thick. After it had been in the oven for 5 minutes, I was able to spread it a little more. (At first it was just mostly put on in dollops on top.) It didn't really soak down into the other ingredients. So I kind of end up with 2 separate layers. The crust, nut, & chooclate layer (the chips melted that layer together), and the coconut condensed cream layer. I cut it up in tiny pieces, and just hold it together best I can while I eat it. Not bad, but will be better with more sweetener in the condensed layer (remember I'm talking about MY tweaked recipe, NOT Linda's), and less thick.
Not only did I use too much Gluuc pwd, I may have nuked it too long. ??

I added sf syrup (Similar to DaVinci, but not as sweet or flavorful, DaVinci or Monin or maybe Torani would be better) to the other 1/3 cup enough to think it down to a better consistency. Ended up with 2/3 cup. I added about 2 tsp Erythritol to that, and made the Chocoalte coconut cookies. Not bad!! I think I could have cooked them just a tad longer. But they are good.

Besides leaving out half or maybe all the Glucc pwd, I need to use more sweetener. Both the cookies would be better, had I had more sweetener in my condensed milk. This was no where near as sweet as "real" sweetened condensed milk. It has been a VERY long time since I had the real thing, but I do know it was much sweeter than mine.

Buttoni, if you made this with cream instead of the table cream/media creama, you might like it better. It won't have that canned taste. Use your favorite sweetener (to equal 2/3 cup, I didn't have that much sweeteness), and probably not needing any thickener. Follow Linda's recipe, except using regular heavy cream instead.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:04 PM   #65
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 12,062
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Beeb, Have I toooold...You lately.....that I LOVE YOU!??!
Right back at you!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
Came back to post that this set up VERY thick when it cooled. (Definitely do NOT use 1/4 tsp Glucc. Probably not even 1/8 tsp.)
I did make Linda's Magic cookies with it, or tired to. I should have added some DaVinci syrup to it to thin it down some before trying. But I used about 2/3 cup of it, spreading it best I could over the top of the other ingredients (like Christine asked about). I actually couldn't spead it well, since it was so thick. After it had been in the oven for 5 minutes, I was able to spread it a little more. (At first it was just mostly put on in dollops on top.) It didn't really soak down into the other ingredients. So I kind of end up with 2 separate layers. The crust, nut, & chooclate layer (the chips melted that layer together), and the coconut condensed cream layer. I cut it up in tiny pieces, and just hold it together best I can while I eat it. Not bad, but will be better with more sweetener in the condensed layer (remember I'm talking about MY tweaked recipe, NOT Linda's), and less thick.
Not only did I use too much Gluuc pwd, I may have nuked it too long. ??

I added sf syrup (Similar to DaVinci, but not as sweet or flavorful, DaVinci or Monin or maybe Torani would be better) to the other 1/3 cup enough to think it down to a better consistency. Ended up with 2/3 cup. I added about 2 tsp Erythritol to that, and made the Chocoalte coconut cookies. Not bad!! I think I could have cooked them just a tad longer. But they are good.

Besides leaving out half or maybe all the Glucc pwd, I need to use more sweetener. Both the cookies would be better, had I had more sweetener in my condensed milk. This was no where near as sweet as "real" sweetened condensed milk. It has been a VERY long time since I had the real thing, but I do know it was much sweeter than mine.

Buttoni, if you made this with cream instead of the table cream/media creama, you might like it better. It won't have that canned taste. Use your favorite sweetener (to equal 2/3 cup, I didn't have that much sweeteness), and probably not needing any thickener. Follow Linda's recipe, except using regular heavy cream instead.
If it ain't broke, why fix it? Sorry you had problems with your tweaks but as the recipe stands as I made it this LC Sweetened Condensed Milk is wonderful! Hope you try it as written so time and feel the same.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #66
Major LCF Poster!
 
crazywoman-n-wy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: WY
Posts: 2,474
Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Sorry Beeb/Linda. I just had to try. I wanted to see if it would work using regular cream, because sometimes it is hard to find the media cream, and Some people do not like the taste of the canned milks. I think it would work using your recipe. Maybe one of these days I'll try your recipe as it stands (with different sweeteners, as I don't use Ideal,,,, but you do say sweetener of choice).
But it will be a while before I try again.
The chocolate cookies actually turned out very well. As with most low carb desserts, they were better the next day. Quite good! It layered ones probably would have been better had I thinned the thickened goop I made down. They won't go to waste. I will eat them, but they definitely could have been better.

You know, the way mine turned out, it actually reminds me of marshmallow whip!!! I think I would like it (just a tad thinner) as the marshmallow part of a Mississippi Mud cake! I may have discovered something with my gone wrong tweak! Who woulda thunk it, cause those are NOT the ingredients for Marshmallows or Marshmallow fluff. Don't think it would make Marshmallow, but might be a pretty good sub for the fluff.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:24 AM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Soobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,390
Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
So Billie, what exactly was the mixture you made that reminded you of marshmallow fluff. Could you give me the recipe? I was a little confused reading your various tweaks.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #68
Major LCF Poster!
 
crazywoman-n-wy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: WY
Posts: 2,474
Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Oh My Soobee, I'd be glad to, but I'm not sure I can now remember the sweetener tweaks, but you could use any sweetener to equal the 2/3 cups you like. I don't think they affected the recipe that much. So now let's see:

I used:
about 7 1/2 oz (just under 8 oz, but I think you could use 7 or 8) heavy cream (whipping cream)
2/3 cup equivalent sweetener (Not sure if I used that much, but need to!) (I used a blend of Erythritol & stevia
1 TBsp Vanilla Whey Protein Powder (Body Fortress)
1/4 tsp Glucomannan (I think this is what gave it the texture similar to marshmallow fluff)
Vanilla
1 tsp Vanilla Davinci (I've read someone say that when they made marshmallow fulff they used the French Vanilla to achieve a taste similar to Marshmallows)

I cooked this in a 2 cup microwave safe glass measuring cup (a bigger one would be nice) I cooked for 1 min & stirred. Put back in & set for 1 min again, but had to stop a few times & stir down. Put on for another minute, and did the same.

I'm not sure how much sweetener I ended up using (not quite enough tho), but I started out with 2 TBsp Erythritol, 1/16th tsp pure Stevia Extract, & 2 drops Sweetzfree (I may have even added a little more, sorry I can't remember now, but it did need some more of something.)
While still quite warm, it looked like 1 1/3 - 1 1/2 cup, but when it had cooled down, it was about 1 cup.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:43 PM   #69
Way too much time on my hands!
 
metqa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 12,582
Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Is Marshmallow Fluff the stuff in the Jar they tell you to use for Rice Krispy Treats? Because if that is so, then I might try your tweaked out recipe to use to hold together some low carb cereals I have that aren't really good in a bowl with milk but make great baggie snacks. I've wanted to make them into cereals bars but couldn't find a suitable medium.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:59 PM   #70
Major LCF Poster!
 
crazywoman-n-wy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: WY
Posts: 2,474
Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Yes Metqa, that's what I was talking about.

It just might work!!! I would add the cereals before it cools too much.
You might want to try 1/2 recipe first. Just a thought!
It would probably work with the Media cream to, but I can get cream for less than $4 at WalMart (and I use it all the time), so for me the cream is a lot cheaper than the Media creama. I'm not sure if I would like the taste as well with the media creama. (Maybe.)
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #71
Way too much time on my hands!
 
metqa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 12,582
Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Cool Thanks for confirming that!!!

I gotta go to walmart in the near future, I'll pick up some cream and try it. I bought all these low carb cereals ages ago and they just don't cut it. I liked the Atkins Brand cereals till they discontinued them. They just don't work in milk,not crisp enough, but I've tried making bars with them with cocoa bark and it was too oily and not transportable cause of the melting factor. and I don't always want chocolate. and Peanut butter is not thick enough to hold on it's own. I'm looking forward to trying this.
__________________
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #72
Major LCF Poster!
 
crazywoman-n-wy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: WY
Posts: 2,474
Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Let us know how they turn out!

I was just looking at the Jody's Pumpkin bake. As I posted there, I use the it as a side dish rather than a dessert. I liken it to sweet potato casserole (which was always a side dish, not a dessert for us). We often put marshmallows on top & melt. I got to thinking, maybe I'll make a small batch of my "fluff", and dot it on top of either the Jody's Pumpkin bake, or a version that I started making with spaghetti squash for Thanksgiving dinner. Hmmmm,,,,, just might work!
New recipes are often derived from tweaked recipes "gone bad" (or just not turning out like expected).
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Extreme western upper SC, USA
Posts: 142
Gallery: elainesmith
WOE: low carb
Start Date: July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
Oh My Soobee, I'd be glad to, but I'm not sure I can now remember the sweetener tweaks, but you could use any sweetener to equal the 2/3 cups you like. I don't think they affected the recipe that much. So now let's see:

I used:
about 7 1/2 oz (just under 8 oz, but I think you could use 7 or 8) heavy cream (whipping cream)
2/3 cup equivalent sweetener (Not sure if I used that much, but need to!) (I used a blend of Erythritol & stevia
1 TBsp Vanilla Whey Protein Powder (Body Fortress)
1/4 tsp Glucomannan (I think this is what gave it the texture similar to marshmallow fluff)Vanilla
1 tsp Vanilla Davinci (I've read someone say that when they made marshmallow fulff they used the French Vanilla to achieve a taste similar to Marshmallows)

I cooked this in a 2 cup microwave safe glass measuring cup (a bigger one would be nice) I cooked for 1 min & stirred. Put back in & set for 1 min again, but had to stop a few times & stir down. Put on for another minute, and did the same.

I'm not sure how much sweetener I ended up using (not quite enough tho), but I started out with 2 TBsp Erythritol, 1/16th tsp pure Stevia Extract, & 2 drops Sweetzfree (I may have even added a little more, sorry I can't remember now, but it did need some more of something.)
While still quite warm, it looked like 1 1/3 - 1 1/2 cup, but when it had cooled down, it was about 1 cup.
Did you ever try this marshmellow idea to see if it worked? TIA
elainesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:41 PM   #74
Major LCF Poster!
 
crazywoman-n-wy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: WY
Posts: 2,474
Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
I don't (and didn't) think it will work as marshmallows per se. But it does make a fair marshmallow fluff replacement.
I did make a small batch up, and top my mock sweet potato casserole with it at Thanksgiving. Did pretty well.
Then I just a day or so ago, and a very small batch up, and put a spoonful in some hot chocolate. Not bad. It didn't melt, but that may (or may not) have been because my hot chocolate wasn't very hot. But it did taste amazingly like a marshmallow in it when I ate it out of the hot chocolate.
I only used 1/8 cup cream, and adjusted everything else accordingly for that experiment. I still have a little of it left in a container in the ice box. I haven't had any more hot chocolate since then. The trick is figuring when to stop cooking it! I think I went just a couple of seconds too long on that batch. I think it would have been better just a tad shorter cooking.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:04 AM   #75
Major LCF Poster!
 
crazywoman-n-wy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: WY
Posts: 2,474
Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Came back to say that I have been putting this in my hot chocolate, and it does melt, and it quite similar in taste & texture to melting marshmallows in hot chocolate. The key word here is hot. I realized that I had warm chocolate before, not hot chocolate.
I'm thinking this needs a thread of it's own. I'll go do that, and link back to this thread to give Beeb/Linda credit for the original recipe that I tweaked to get the "marshmallow fluff".

Thanks again Linda!!!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post15275614

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 12-27-2011 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: add link
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member
 
cindy lolz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vista, California
Posts: 302
Gallery: cindy lolz
WOE: I do my darndest to stay under 20g a day :D
Oh my gosh! Good stuff, thank you.

I was Pinterest-ing a little while ago, and I saw a Pinterest post about "condensed milk toast". It made me think of this thread, so I whipped some up and I put it on top of a few pieces of coconut/almond flour "bread" that I crisped up in a frying pan with butter.

Yummy, even yummier with cinnamon/fake sugar sprinkled on top! (Husband's idea. You get credit, love!)

(I chose to use xanthan gum instead of protein powder because my husband hates protein powder more than anything in the universes.)
__________________
"If there is one thing I love more than anything is a plate of delicious faquitas." -Zerokewl
cindy lolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
tulipsandroses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,097
Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy lolz View Post
Oh my gosh! Good stuff, thank you.

I was Pinterest-ing a little while ago, and I saw a Pinterest post about "condensed milk toast". It made me think of this thread, so I whipped some up and I put it on top of a few pieces of coconut/almond flour "bread" that I crisped up in a frying pan with butter.

Yummy, even yummier with cinnamon/fake sugar sprinkled on top! (Husband's idea. You get credit, love!)

(I chose to use xanthan gum instead of protein powder because my husband hates protein powder more than anything in the universes.)
We used to eat condensed milk sandwiches as kids. They were oh soooo good! My cousin who just started low carb, recently said, no wonder he was a fat kid eating bread and condensed milk all the time
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #78
Senior LCF Member
 
cindy lolz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vista, California
Posts: 302
Gallery: cindy lolz
WOE: I do my darndest to stay under 20g a day :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipsandroses View Post
We used to eat condensed milk sandwiches as kids. They were oh soooo good! My cousin who just started low carb, recently said, no wonder he was a fat kid eating bread and condensed milk all the time
How funny! My Vietnamese friend told me about eating it for breakfast when he was younger. He translated it as just "milk toast". (He's skinny, though. Curse him!)

I'll admit, I did save the Pinterest post I saw about the high-carb version!

Maybe I can have it as a treat in a month or so. It sounds so wrong and so good, my friend.
cindy lolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
tulipsandroses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,097
Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
I'm from Jamaica, we ate that a lot growing up. Interesting to see other cultures eat it too.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #80
Senior LCF Member
 
cindy lolz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vista, California
Posts: 302
Gallery: cindy lolz
WOE: I do my darndest to stay under 20g a day :D
It sure is interesting. Yay internet!
cindy lolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member
 
lcmiller461's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 555
Gallery: lcmiller461
Stats: 160/135/125
WOE: Atkins, etc.
So other than the fudge, has anyone used this with success in other recipes? If so, please post!
lcmiller461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:16 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.