Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Ouizoid's English Muffins w/Pics (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/702082-ouizoids-english-muffins-w-pics.html)

Beeb 12-14-2010 12:29 PM

Ouizoid's English Muffins w/Pics

http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL183.../394036025.jpg http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL183.../394036245.jpg

This is a recipe posted on the Everything Bagel thread by Ouizoid that I made last night, tweaking to add a few sesame seeds on top before baking. The only other tweaks I did I have written in bold on this original recipe.

Thanks, Ouizoid for an AMAZING LC English Muffin type bread! This toasts so well and it even had some nooks and crannies to hold my butter! :up:

LC English muffins by Ouizoid

Dry Mix:

1/2 c golden flaxmeal
1/4 c oat fiber
1 scoop unflavoured whey protein (jarrow brand)
1 tsp baking powder
2 Tbs Parmesan (green can)

Wet Mix:

2 jumbo egg or equiv eggbeaters
dollop chia gel (3-4 Tbs) (I used 2 tbs of Olive Oil here instead)
1/2 cup trader joes light mozzaarella shreds
unsweetened almond milk as needed to make dough workable (Used coconut milk instead and very little)

mix together, let sit 5 min fill 6 cup greased muffin top pan. bake 12-14 min 350

sistertzu 12-14-2010 12:45 PM

I'm going to try this!!! So inventive, thanks.

ouizoid 12-14-2010 01:06 PM

Thanks Beeb! Yours look just like mine do--isn't this an awesome recipe? Thanks to Cap for the original recipe that I tweaked--

Charski 12-14-2010 02:25 PM

Oh those are gorgeous! Must try soon. I'll add it to my list of things to do... :laugh:

Thanks Ouisue, you're da woman! :hugs:

Jennifer Eloff 12-14-2010 02:32 PM

Pretty pictures. That much fiber would be a problem for my household, but I'm betting that subbing a bake mix would work as well. Nice job, Linda! :shake:

ravenrose 12-14-2010 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff (Post 14173567)
Pretty pictures. That much fiber would be a problem for my household, but I'm betting that subbing a bake mix would work as well. Nice job, Linda! :shake:

indeed. we all need to make things work for ourselves and our families. for my household I can't take any more carbs than this and I try to get at least 25 grams of fiber a day. most of the "bake mix" type stuff is just too carby, but I realize some people don't have to be as strict as I do with that.

rosethorns 12-14-2010 05:24 PM

My O My they look awesome!!!

ouizoid 12-14-2010 07:44 PM

Where are the carbs coming from? Oat fiber nets out to zero

Beeb 12-14-2010 07:47 PM

BTW, here are the Nutritional Facts on these YUMMY BABIES!!! The carbs in my case are coming from the sesame seeds I added. I used 1 ounce or 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds and divided up among the 6 English muffins before baking them.

Serving Size 1 Serving w/ 1/3 tablespoon of sesame seed added

Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 111
Calories 167

% Daily Values*
Total Fat 12.33g 19%
Saturated Fat 2.25g 11%
Polyunsaturated Fat 3.584g
Monounsaturated Fat 3.305g
Cholesterol 106mg 35%
Sodium 190mg 8%
Potassium 21mg
Total Carbohydrate 6.05g 2%
Dietary Fiber 5.5g 22%
Sugars 0.12g
Protein 12.11g

NET CARBS: 0.55g......That is a tiny bit over 1/2 a carb!!

Here are the Nutritional Facts without the sesame seed addition to the recipe:

Serving Size 1 Serving w/o sesame seeds

Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 91
Calories 140

% Daily Values*
Total Fat 10.06g 15%
Saturated Fat 1.932g 10%
Polyunsaturated Fat 2.59g
Monounsaturated Fat 2.448g
Cholesterol 106mg 35%
Sodium 188mg 8%
Potassium 2mg
Total Carbohydrate 4.82g 2%
Dietary Fiber 4.7g 19%
Sugars 0.1g
Protein 11.31g

NET CARBS: 0.12g.....WOW, gotta love this number!!

Jennifer Eloff 12-15-2010 06:17 AM

I understand, Ravenrose. You must always keep doing what works for you. You're an expert at it now. :)

You're right, some of us don't have to be quite as strict. Once upon a time I was very strict so I completely understand. I used to do the Fat Fast for months on end because I was unable to lose weight on Induction (thought I was an alien living on planet earth!). Little did I know I had a thyroid disease called Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and because of that it's difficult for me to lose weight, but I've figured it out finally (and am medicated) - i.e. what works for me. I still was able to use the Splendid Low-Carb Bake Mix even on very strict low-carbing thereafter, because there is no flour in it, but the others would fill my glycogen stores and make it look like I had put on weight, but that's all it was each time. When one is very low-carb, add any substantial carbs, like from oat flour, and on goes the glycogen and water weight. Go back to strict low-carbing and off it comes again - it's roughly 2 to 3 lbs each time.

cgarza 12-15-2010 06:41 AM

Linda,
Thanks sooooo much for this great recipe and for taking the time to post the fabulous photo!
I have a big bag of oat fiber that I haven't known what to do with.
And I'm always looking for high fiber low carb breads.
You're amazing!!!!

clackley 12-15-2010 07:41 AM

Linda they look fabulous!! But the funny thing is, I came in today, to post my version of english muffins but they are really just a tweeked version of the oopsie or revolution roll. I think yours are brilliant!

Beeb 12-15-2010 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 14175357)
Linda they look fabulous!! But the funny thing is, I came in today, to post my version of english muffins but they are really just a tweeked version of the oopsie or revolution roll. I think yours are brilliant!

NOT MINE, but Ouizoid's tweak of Cap's Everything Bagel! :stars::laugh: I love the taste of the oopsie or revolution roll but I just couldn't get pass the texture/mouth feel of them. These are so bread like it's just amazing!

SO.....we shall thank Cap and Ouizoid for these wonderful babies!! :hugs::notwrthy:

And one other thing; I used Natural Factor Unflavored Whey Protein Powder which has .05g of carbs per scoop. Any Unflavored Whey PP will probably work in this recipe and you will need to be sure to adjust the carbs per your UWPP. Some have more carbs per scoop, some have less. ;)

Steak_Fanatic 12-16-2010 04:28 PM

These look awesome. Great snack food, or sides in place of rolls. Thanks!

cleochatra 12-16-2010 04:31 PM

How cool is that!! What the heck is oat fiber, though? I have never heard of it.

ouizoid 12-16-2010 08:26 PM

Great stuff Cleo. I order it from honeyville. It nets out to zero carbs and provides bulk when baking. Not great on it's own, but really good mixed with flax, etc when baking.

Beeb 12-16-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steak_Fanatic (Post 14179877)
These look awesome. Great snack food, or sides in place of rolls. Thanks!

These were made in a muffin top pan and they are the perfect size for a hamburger! :clap:

ouizoid 12-17-2010 07:22 AM

They do make awesome sandwich buns--they have enough structure that they are easy to cut in half

cleochatra 12-17-2010 08:12 AM

Thank you! I will definitely take a look at it!

1annewil 12-17-2010 10:06 PM

I had a thought-what about these with equal parts sausage and sharp cheddar for sausage balls. Those peeps who have tried them, please tell me if you think they might work. Thanks

Cap57 12-18-2010 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beeb (Post 14175512)
NOT MINE, but Ouizoid's tweak of Cap's Everything Bagel! :stars::laugh: I love the taste of the oopsie or revolution roll but I just couldn't get pass the texture/mouth feel of them. These are so bread like it's just amazing!

SO.....we shall thank Cap and Ouizoid for these wonderful babies!! :hugs::notwrthy:

...And my "Everything Bagel" recipe is a take-off of the savory sandwich/muffin recipe posted by Gary, (Scorpgc), which was, itself, a tweak of the One Minute Muffin! I love how folks can play around each other's recipes to come up with more options that are LC.
Everyone has different carb, fiber, and calorie requirements, so it's great to have all the different versions.

I love Ouiziod's English muffin version as well, as the oat fiber makes it sturdier and easier to slice in two.

I like to mix up baggies of the dry ingredients and store them in the fridge. Then it's a snap to put together.

Beeb 12-18-2010 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1annewil (Post 14183281)
I had a thought-what about these with equal parts sausage and sharp cheddar for sausage balls. Those peeps who have tried them, please tell me if you think they might work. Thanks

Now there is a GOOD idea!! Thanks!! :hugs:

Sunny7 12-18-2010 09:25 AM

These look yummy, will have to try them

Thanks

Barbo 12-18-2010 02:29 PM

Beeb

What brand of golden flax meal did you use? Mine did not turn
out golden as in the picture of yours. I used a good flax meal,
it sez golden but it turns out a darker gold.

maru2 12-19-2010 11:43 AM

I make something similar to these. I Don't use parmesan at all though. However the other ingredients make a great base to do all kinds of things. I often add a couple tablespoons of pumpkin, pumpkin spice, nuts and sweeteners to make the most delicious muffins. Also, I will change the cheese to cheddar, add chopped bacon and garlic for a breakfast muffin. Always use a muffin top pan, the key is keeping them thin so they don't get tough and chewy. Also enough cheese to keep the batter very thick, if the batter is too thin they will turn out flat and heavy.

Beeb 12-19-2010 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbo (Post 14184474)
What brand of golden flax meal did you use? Mine did not turn
out golden as in the picture of yours. I used a good flax meal,
it sez golden but it turns out a darker gold.

Bob's Red Mill and mine are a little darker but the pictures came out a bit lighter. HTH :hugs:

Beeb 12-19-2010 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maru2 (Post 14186079)
I make something similar to these. I Don't use parmesan at all though. However the other ingredients make a great base to do all kinds of things. I often add a couple tablespoons of pumpkin, pumpkin spice, nuts and sweeteners to make the most delicious muffins. Also, I will change the cheese to cheddar, add chopped bacon and garlic for a breakfast muffin. Always use a muffin top pan, the key is keeping them thin so they don't get tough and chewy. Also enough cheese to keep the batter very thick, if the batter is too thin they will turn out flat and heavy.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your ideas!! Thank you! :hugs:

maru2 12-19-2010 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beeb (Post 14186521)
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your ideas!! Thank you! :hugs:

Awe, thanks Linda you inspire me:notwrthy:. I have yet to find one of your recipes that I didn't like. Your willingness to try things and come back and tell us your tweaks keeps me coming back to this board daily looking for your recipes.

As for the buns, I have been experimenting with them for a long time now. I have found when you make sweet ones you should set your oven to 325 and bake for 10 minutes. Even for the non sweet I only bake for 10 minutes. 1/2 brown and 1/2 white sugar(artificial) makes the best sweeteners. Also shredded zucchini with apple pie spice is excellent too. (Just make sure you squeeze out the liquid from the zucchini).

I have also found it makes a good deep dish pizza if you spreed it out very thin in a round cake pan bake for about 10 minutes add sauce, cheese and what ever else you like put back in very hot oven on top rack until cheese is melted.
Wanda

Ginaaaaaa 12-20-2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maru2 (Post 14186761)
Awe, thanks Linda you inspire me:notwrthy:. I have yet to find one of your recipes that I didn't like. Your willingness to try things and come back and tell us your tweaks keeps me coming back to this board daily looking for your recipes.

As for the buns, I have been experimenting with them for a long time now. I have found when you make sweet ones you should set your oven to 325 and bake for 10 minutes. Even for the non sweet I only bake for 10 minutes. 1/2 brown and 1/2 white sugar(artificial) makes the best sweeteners. Also shredded zucchini with apple pie spice is excellent too. (Just make sure you squeeze out the liquid from the zucchini).

I have also found it makes a good deep dish pizza if you spreed it out very thin in a round cake pan bake for about 10 minutes add sauce, cheese and what ever else you like put back in very hot oven on top rack until cheese is melted.
Wanda

I am going to try this as a pizza, do you use a whole recipe for the cake pan?

Linda, do you cut these in half and toast them? Can you put them in a regular toaster or do you need to put them in a toaster oven? Thanks!!

Beeb 12-20-2010 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa (Post 14188697)
I am going to try this as a pizza, do you use a whole recipe for the cake pan?

Linda, do you cut these in half and toast them? Can you put them in a regular toaster or do you need to put them in a toaster oven? Thanks!!

I use them just like English Muffins; slice and put in regular toaster and toast lightly.

The pizza crust sounds great, too!!