Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 10:55 PM   #241
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
The doughnuts sound great! Do you have a picture of them? Should I invest in a doughnut pan? thanks!
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2011, 12:10 PM   #242
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maru2
Stats: 170/145/135
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1/2007 restart 1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Girl View Post
The doughnuts sound great! Do you have a picture of them? Should I invest in a doughnut pan? thanks!
I love my donut pan but it's not necessary. I just bought a cupcake pan from Beall's outlet that I love to use too. It's the same width as reg. cupcakes but not as deep, only half the size. I can't stress enough how good these things are. Once you try them you will be asking yourself "what took me so long" I made these donuts last night and they are always soft and moist till I finish them all.

I forgot to mention I did add 1/4 cup of chia gelled in almond milk and upped the glucomanan to 1 tsp instead of leaving out the milk. They are good with or without the chia but the chia did make them very soft and moist plus all the benefits of chia, so I will continue to use chia from now on. On a side note... soak the chia over night, if you just do it until it gels you will notice a crunchiness when you chew them. Please don't let these strange ingredients deter you. They are very healthy for you, it's an ancient food used by the Aztec's and is being rediscovered for it's healthy benefits.

Last edited by maru2; 02-04-2011 at 12:27 PM..
maru2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:59 PM   #243
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Cap57
Stats: 155/150/135 (5'8")
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Sept. 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2 View Post

pumpkin donuts:
1/2 cup golden flax
1/4 cup unflavored whey protein
1/4 cup oat fiber
1/4 cup wheat bran
2 T vital wheat gluten
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp glucomanan*

1/2 cup pumpkin
5Tablespoons brown diabetisweet*
4 Tablespoons of zsweet and 4 drops of liquid splenda
2 large eggs
3 T vegetable oil
1/2 Cup of hood milk*
1T vinegar
1T vanilla

As far as the sugars that's the combination that I like, you certainly can use whatever you like.
Wanda, your pumpkin donuts sound great! Last week I made some pumpkin bread, and there was probably around 1/2 cup of pumpkin left over. Now I know what to use it for! I have a question, though...any idea how much sweetening power I am trying to recreate here? I have lots of sugar subs; EZsweetz, homemade Splenda quick packs, Stevia Plus, Nu-stevia, Erythritol, and Whey Low. However, I don't have zsweet, and I don't know what concentration of liquid Splenda you are using. If I know what amount of sugar is needed, I can mix different sweeteners to get there.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:02 PM   #244
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
It just struck me as funny that in less than 2 months, our english muffins turned into pumpkin donuts.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:06 PM   #245
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I love that about us!
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:15 PM   #246
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
Thanks for the info Charski and Maru!

Where did you find a donut pan? I have seen mini bundt cake pan. I haven't splurged for the muffin top pan yet either.
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:10 PM   #247
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
It just struck me as funny that in less than 2 months, our english muffins turned into pumpkin donuts.
It is funny isn't it

So I'll get serious for a minute and try to answer everybody's questions.

Cap.... zsweet is just a combination of erythritol and stevia, I believe it has the same sweetening power as sugar, so for that I think you can use anything that has the sweetening power of 4 tablespoons of sugar. My liquid splenda is ezsweetz and I believe diabetisweet has the same sweetening power of sugar.

Here is what they look like unfrosted. Also, they are very much like the real thing or better, IMHO. Don't think for one moment that they might be slimy or like eating an old sponge because they're not you will be very surprised.

jlp2009....You can get the muffin top pans and the donut pans come from Amazon. If you have a Marshall's or TJMaxx near you, I have seen them there before too.

Last edited by maru2; 02-04-2011 at 05:34 PM..
Old 02-05-2011, 05:03 AM   #248
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Cap57
Stats: 155/150/135 (5'8")
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Sept. 2003
Thanks for the info, Wanda... so it looks like you are going for about 3/4 cup of sweetness equivalent. I may try this today using the sweeteners I have. My family would love the chocolate version, though, probably even more than pumpkin. Do you know how much cocoa and melted chocolate you added?

One last question, (for now anyway) Now that you are using the chia gel in the pumpkin recipe, did you cut back on the 1/2 cup of Hood's milk, since there is already milk of some sort in the chia gel?
Cap57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:38 AM   #249
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
I want to thank everyone!!

I finally got my muffin top pan and the oat fiber this week. I just made the original recipe of english muffins. I got a say I felt like I was eating real bread. I made an egg and cheese sandwich for breakfast. OMG its a great recipe!!!

How do u store these?? Refrig or freeze??
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:51 AM   #250
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

not Wanda Cap--but I made my original recipe with Chia gel--and I only used almond milk (no Hood in my area) to make sure the consistency was correct--it needs to be a thick batter, but not unworkeable. I used the Chia gel as a fat sub not as a milk sub.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #251
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I made a double batch of the latest iteration (chia gel, no cheese) yesterday and they're just as good! Thanks for all the continuing experiments!

I also made a single batch of the cinnamon buns, Barbo emailed me the recipe - not sure if it's upthread on this one or not but MAN they are SOOO GOOOOD! DH and I had them with coffee for breakfast this morning. He was impressed!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #252
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap57 View Post
Thanks for the info, Wanda... so it looks like you are going for about 3/4 cup of sweetness equivalent. I may try this today using the sweeteners I have. My family would love the chocolate version, though, probably even more than pumpkin. Do you know how much cocoa and melted chocolate you added?

One last question, (for now anyway) Now that you are using the chia gel in the pumpkin recipe, did you cut back on the 1/2 cup of Hood's milk, since there is already milk of some sort in the chia gel?
Cap...I used the same amount of hood and upped the glucomanan from 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp. I didn't decide to put the chia in until everything was already mixed in, so after adding the chia I thought it needed to be thicker and added the extra glucomanan. It came out wonderfully moist and soft and decided that was the best way yet. As far as the chocolate, I had a 3 ounce candy bar I bought from netrition that had o carbs (Doctor's CarbRite ) melted in some table cream and I think 2 tablespoons of cococ. As far the sugars for the chocolate because the bar had sweentener I think I used about the same amount as the pumpkin and I used 1 tsp of vanilla. I wish I could be more exact but I'm like a mad scientist throwing stuff in and tasting the batter as I go.

For all of you using the original recipe, I wish I could convince you to try the final version. The original was wonderful, but would get mushy and grainy after soaking up juices from sandwiches. The final (or not so final, ) isn't grainy at all and is very light and fluffy IMHO. Also I think the gum and or glucomanan is probably the most important ingredient in the recipe, it really contributes to the rise and airiness...is that a word? LOL.

I store my muffins in a ziplock in the refrigerator.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #253
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PDBoy
Stats: 283/240/185
WOE: South Beach bordering on Atkins
Start Date: 07/19/2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
I made my tweaked recipe last night into hot dog rolls and DBF and I took them to a hot dog place and used them for the hot dog we ordered without the bun! I just spread the mixture out onto a plain cookie sheet and made them the shape of a hot dog roll, then baked them. I got 4 hot dog rolls from the recipe and they did take about 5 minutes more to bake.

DBF said he would eat them again, so like Char's hubby I think we can safely say we HAVE A WINNER!!
I tried making the hot dogs buns today & ended up with 4 GREAT Hogie rolls. Not what I was shooting for but I can put them to use.
PDBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:25 AM   #254
Senior LCF Member

Wanda and Ouiz,
I understand that you are now omitting the cheese from the original recipe.
Did you sub something for the cheese?

Wanda,
Do you mind posting your "final" version? Or mabye after tweaks are made, everyone could refer to the post number or page number so that it would be easier for us to find the version we want to try.
The pumpkin version is on page 8, I did find that one!
I didn't find the chocolate version.
Maybe it's because I have to see the entire recipe in one place. Sorry, that's just how I roll! LOL
Thanks!!
And thanks to everyone for their experimentations too. It really helps to know what works and what doesn't.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:11 AM   #255
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

JLP--the gum/glucomannan mixture seems to replace the cheese well--here is my version:

OHO! Thanks to a convo with Maru, I tried my EM recipe today with no cheese at all--and tweaked the flours:
1/4 c oatfiber
1/4 c golden flaxmeal
1/4 c wheat bran
1 scoop unflavoured protein powdr
1 Tsp vital wheat gluten
1/2 tsp glucomannan powder
1/2 tsp xantham gum
1/2 tsp baking powder

wet ingredients: 1 Tbs chia seeds dissolved in 1/4 c hot wate
1 Tb grapeseed oil
2/3 cup eggbeatrs
splash or two almond milk

they were absolutely delish and I did not miss the cheese at ALL

I think they are around 75 cals per english muffin--toasted up well too!

I think Maru's version includes whole eggs and more oil than mine--my versions always go for the lowest fat--

Last edited by ouizoid; 02-06-2011 at 06:12 AM..
Old 02-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #256
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp2009 View Post
Wanda and Ouiz,
I understand that you are now omitting the cheese from the original recipe.
Did you sub something for the cheese?

Wanda,
Do you mind posting your "final" version? Or mabye after tweaks are made, everyone could refer to the post number or page number so that it would be easier for us to find the version we want to try.
The pumpkin version is on page 8, I did find that one!
I didn't find the chocolate version.
Maybe it's because I have to see the entire recipe in one place. Sorry, that's just how I roll! LOL
Thanks!!
And thanks to everyone for their experimentations too. It really helps to know what works and what doesn't.
Hi jlp....Ouizoid and my version is almost identical except her's is lower fat and calories. The reason I encourage people to try what I call the "final" version is because it has the gum, glucomanan, wheat bran and NO cheese in it which IMO makes all the difference for light airy bread. Ouizoid has always put chia in her muffins but I have just started to recently because of the added health benefit of chia and to my surprise, it really improved the moistness and airiness of the sweet muffins. I believe Ouizoid's and my version is so similar which one you choose to make will depend on if you are watching fat/calories intake or not.

* I make 2 different batches of chia gel, one for sweet muffin/donuts and one for plain. I like to make it and leave it over night in the refrigerator because I discovered if I don't my muffins will have a crunch that I don't care for and I don't mean a crunchy crust. The crunch comes while chewing.

So what I do is take 3 tablespoons of chia to 1 cup of water for plain and almond milk for sweet. The next day it may be too thick and I will add more liquid. We should probably start a new thread with all the tips and substitutions but I'm not very good at organizing. So here is how I make the plain now:

Basic muffins:

1/2 cup golden flax
1/4 cup oat fiber
1/4 cup wheat bran
1 T vital wheat gluten....sometimes I use 2 if I can spare more carbs.
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp glucomanan
1/2 tsp xanthan gum

2 large eggs
3 T vegetable oil
1/2 cup hoods calorie count down milk ( you could use 1/4 cup cream and 1/4 cup of water)
1 T cider vinegar.....(Vinegar and milk=buttermilk)
1/4 cup chia gel

Your batter should be very thick but workable if it is runny in anyway, add more gum or gucomanan.
preheat oven to 350, spray muffin top pan with nonstick spray. Bake on middle shelf 10 to 12 minutes. makes 12 to 14 muffins.

I still make a version with cheese to have as garlic cheddar biscuits. All I do is add 2 tsp of garlic and about 1/2 cup or more of shredded cheddar cheese to the recipe above.

I don't have an exact recipe for the chocolate except for starting with the above basic. I plan to make them sometime today so I will measure everything that I use and post that later.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #257
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Ouiz and Wanda, that helps tremendously to have the entire recipe!!
I found the muffin top pan at a flea market this weekend so now I am prepared!
Old 02-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #258
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp2009 View Post
Thank you Ouiz and Wanda, that helps tremendously to have the entire recipe!!
I found the muffin top pan at a flea market this weekend so now I am prepared!

Sorry I haven't made the chocolate donuts yet. I made pecan coconut cookies and I'm stuffed, I can't get into baking when I'm not hungry.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #259
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
.For all of you using the original recipe, I wish I could convince you to try the final version. The original was wonderful, but would get mushy and grainy after soaking up juices from sandwiches. The final (or not so final, ) isn't grainy at all and is very light and fluffy IMHO. .
I have NEVER had a problem with the original recipe being anything that you have mentioned here. It is still the best, IMHO, and I think anyone trying this recipe for the first time should go with the original since it doesn't have too many special ingredients in it, before they decide to invest in a product that they may not need.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:11 PM   #260
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I have NEVER had a problem with the original recipe being anything that you have mentioned here. It is still the best, IMHO, and I think anyone trying this recipe for the first time should go with the original since it doesn't have too many special ingredients in it, before they decide to invest in a product that they may not need.
Linda, the final recipe wasn't just my tweaks...it was yours, mine and ouizoids. I am sorry I keep offending you. I obviously don't know or understand how things are done around here. I was not trying to step on anyone's toes, I was just trying to help.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:16 PM   #261
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[QUOTE=maru2;14359593]Linda, the final recipe wasn't just my tweaks...it was yours, mine and ouizoids.

and Cap's! The original Bagel recipe--we all contributed--
Old 02-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #262
Senior LCF Member

[QUOTE=ouizoid;14359970][QUOTE=maru2;14359593]Linda, the final recipe wasn't just my tweaks...it was yours, mine and ouizoids.

and Cap's! The original Bagel recipe--we all contributed--[/QUOTE

Yes definitely Cap's! and Cap said..." my Everything Bagel" recipe is a take-off of the savory sandwich/muffin recipe posted by Gary, (Scorpgc), which was, itself, a tweak of the One Minute Muffin!" ....so the recipe has come a long way and morphed and morphed and morphed and hopefully it will keep morphing.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:12 PM   #263
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: majomor
wheat bran substitution

[quote=maru2;14360021][QUOTE=ouizoid;14359970]
Quote:
Linda, the final recipe wasn't just my tweaks...it was yours, mine and ouizoids.

and Cap's! The original Bagel recipe--we all contributed--[/QUOTE

Yes definitely Cap's! and Cap said..." my Everything Bagel" recipe is a take-off of the savory sandwich/muffin recipe posted by Gary, (Scorpgc), which was, itself, a tweak of the One Minute Muffin!" ....so the recipe has come a long way and morphed and morphed and morphed and hopefully it will keep morphing.
I have been reading for many days, and hoping someone will volunteer a substitution for the wheat bran (the Phytic acid upsets my familys stomach)
should i just use more oat fiber as per the original?...what a great recipe, you guys are Fab!
Thanks Maru2
majomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:31 AM   #264
Senior LCF Member

That's the beauty of the tweaks, finding out what works and what doesn't.
We all have different tastes, some of us have sensitivities to certain ingredients,
etc. Knowing that ingredients can be substituted and the recipe still work
is very helpful.
I continue to be amazed at the creativity of everyone on this forum. Many thanks!
Old 02-11-2011, 06:21 AM   #265
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Majomer--I don't use wheat bran in my original recipe--
Old 02-12-2011, 06:47 AM   #266
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: aimmij
Quote:
This makes a great burger bun or roll for a sandwich. Holds up well and toasts beautifully! It has the nooks and cranies like an English Muffin but just the hint of the taste of one. THE best LC bread/roll I have yet to make!!

English Muffin Biscuit by Maru

OK, this is what I do now. They taste almost like Red Lobster biscuits to me and no more grainy texture.

1/2 cup golden flax
1/4 cup oat fiber
1/4 cup wheat bran
1 T vital wheat gluten
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp xanthan gum

2 large eggs
3 T vegetable oil
1/2 cup hoods calorie count down milk ( I suppose you could use 1/4 cup cream and 1/4 cup of water)
1 T cider vinegar
1 drop liquid splenda
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese ( I'm guessing because I used 2 handfuls)

preheat oven to 350, spray muffin top pan with nonstick spray. Bake on middle shelf 10 to 12 minutes. makes 12 to 14 muffins.

If I left anyone's recipe out from the original thread please feel free to add yours to these!

I made these this morning. They were AMAZING! No lie, they taste just like the Red Lobster ones. I made half a batch, skipped the milk (I forgot about that step lol) and just used parchment paper instead of a muffin top pan. Can't wait to try the other variations/tweaks!
aimmij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:15 PM   #267
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: majomor
wheat bran substitution

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Majomer--I don't use wheat bran in my original recipe--

Original LC English muffins by Ouizoid

Dry Mix:

1/2 c golden flaxmeal
1/4 c oat fiber
1 scoop unflavoured whey protein (jarrow brand)
1 tsp baking powder
2 Tbs Parmesan (green can)

Wet Mix:

2 jumbo egg or equiv eggbeaters
dollop chia gel (3-4 Tbs)
1/2 cup trader joes light mozzaarella shreds
unsweetened almond milk as needed to make dough workable

mix together, let sit 5 min fill 6 cup greased muffin top pan. bake 12-14 min 350
-----------------------
Ouizoid, is this your original?
and which one is the best with tweaks "without wheat bran" do you think?.....if you don't mind?
would really appreciate it......you gals have done such a great job.
I was really interested that Maru said that the later ones were less soggy as a sandwich (compared to the latest ones), but it seems that itis the wheat bran that helps...maybe???
thanks very much.
majomor
majomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:19 PM   #268
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oceandiva
Stats: 294/212/180
WOE: Atkins-gluten free
Start Date: May 2008
Quizoid, thank you for the original recipe. I have Celiac disease and cannot have wheat so was thrilled that the English Muffins taste so much like bread-based muffins. I also used them as a roll for burgers and was delighted that they held up so well.
oceandiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #269
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Majomer--yes--that is my original recipe--without wheat bran--I did not have problems with sogginess, but give it a try and see how you like it.

Oceandiva! So glad you liked!!
Old 02-26-2011, 04:39 AM   #270
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I have been experimenting with a cheeese-free, no fat added English muffin. This is my latest.
Cheese-free Gluten Free English Muffin
1/3 cup whey protein powder
1/3 cup oat fiber
1/3 cup flax
1 tsp. glucomannan
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (optional)

2 beaten eggs
1 1/4 cups water
1/8 tsp. butterscotch or caramel flavor (optional)
few drops opf sweetener (optional)

Mix wet ingredients. Mix into dry ingredients. You need an immersion blender or mixer for this. Otherwise the lumps of oat fiber won't dissolve. This will make a wet batter. Pour into silicone muffintop pans. Bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes. I get 8-9 muffins.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote