Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maru2
Stats: 170/145/135
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1/2007 restart 1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
I'm just curious.....how does the cider vinegar contribute to this recipe? Flavor/acidity?
Pam the vinegar doesn't do anything to the taste, I believe it works with the baking powder to add air so that the muffins aren't so heavy and dense. It's probably the same idea as using buttermilk. I don't know that much about the science of cooking, I just experiment a lot and when I think I've stumbled on something that really improves the texture or flavor I write it out exactly the way I make it, you could probably use buttermilk with the same results.
maru2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #122
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jigglenomore
Stats: Mac Truck/Small SUV/Mini-Cooper
WOE: Atkins/South Beach/Low Glycemic/Voodoo
Thanks for the pizza crust help, Wanda!!
jigglenomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #123
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
i couldn't wait till tues for my unflavored whey and xantham. lol!

just took some out of the oven and letting them cool a bit. then having one for lunch!

these turned out sooo much better...amazing how that works when one follows the recipe. <blush>

i did tweak the "flours"
1/4c alm flour
1/4c g. flax
2T oat fiber
2T vital wheat gluten

plus added thicken not thin i found in the cupboard!! woot!

3 large eggs
smidge alm milk
dash of salt
coconut oil instead of olive

sooo, different yes, but followed the amounts exactly...unlike pervious attempts.

ok, off to give them a try!

thanks for the pics! that's about what i envisioned they might look like.

Last edited by dazygyrl; 01-08-2011 at 12:58 PM..
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:05 PM   #124
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglenomore View Post
Thanks for the pizza crust help, Wanda!!
You're welcome Elaine. This is what I had for lunch...bacon and egg sandwich. It was so good I had 2, now I will have to cut back on my dinner but so worth it! I wish I could give everyone a sample so they could see for themselves just how good they are, not just OK but really good! Once again tho, this is my tweaked version using some wheat bran and a few other things.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #125
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

wooot! my new, correctly made version tastes AWESOME!

THANK YOU wanda for theegg sammy pic. i was just thinking, NOW what can i use these for. lol! just having mine with butter right now. and a salad.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #126
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

i can't believe the amazing bready texture these have! so cool!

i think i am going tripling or quadrupling the recipe and put it in a loaf pan to make slices of the bready goodness!

oh, and i can def taste the vanilla whey, but it's not unbearable. they still taste fabulous!

Last edited by dazygyrl; 01-08-2011 at 01:42 PM..
Old 01-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #127
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bees~1flower View Post
i can't believe the amazing bready texture these have! so cool!

i think i am going tripling or quadrupling the recipe and put it in a loaf pan to make slices of the bready goodness!

oh, and i can def taste the vanilla whey, but it's not unbearable. they still taste fabulous!
Yay!! I just knew if we could convince people to try these they would like them. I understand why someone would be hesitant tho, because we've all tried so many things that many were raving about just to find it was nothing like we thought it would be.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shipoo
Stats: 198/165.3/135
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Nov 2012/May 2014
[QUOTE=maru2;14246430]That's my new puppy Sophie, she is a Yorkietzu (Yorkie shihtzu mix) the most lovable dog I have ever owned, people tell me it's the Shihtzu in her that makes her that way.

She is adorable.....I have a shipoo hence my name, he is half shitzu and half poodle - you are right the Shitzu makes them loveable!
shipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:40 PM   #129
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
[quote=shipoo;14249735]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2 View Post
That's my new puppy Sophie, she is a Yorkietzu (Yorkie shihtzu mix) the most lovable dog I have ever owned, people tell me it's the Shihtzu in her that makes her that way.

She is adorable.....I have a shipoo hence my name, he is half shitzu and half poodle - you are right the Shitzu makes them loveable!
And his picture is WHERE?!!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #130
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shipoo
Stats: 198/165.3/135
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Nov 2012/May 2014
Oops, let me figure out how to do that....post a picture I mean.
shipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:27 AM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
SooBee, what did you sub chia gel for? I can't do flax so I need to sub the main ingredient. And what chia/water mix did you use (amounts of each)? Thank you!

I wonder if I could use either Jennifer or Kevins bake mix instead of flax? I wish my system could deal with flax because it is really a healthy food.

Also, question about xanthan vs yeast. Does the xanthan sub for yeast? Or would a person need to use yeast and xanthan for a yeast application? I thought the gums just made things stick together better and hold moisture.
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:57 AM   #132
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I subbed the chia for the oil. That was the OP's original recipe. I used 1 T chia and 1/2 cup of water today. I am still experimenting with the amount of liquid. (I did not use any liquid other than water,) I think with the xanthan and the amount of chia, I will try 3/4 cup of water next time. I've made these twice. Both iterations are delicious.
The xanthan is there to make a non-wheat batter rise better. I noticed the breads were a little higher when I used xanthan, but it was equally delicious without it.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp2009 View Post
SooBee, what did you sub chia gel for? I can't do flax so I need to sub the main ingredient. And what chia/water mix did you use (amounts of each)? Thank you!

I wonder if I could use either Jennifer or Kevins bake mix instead of flax? I wish my system could deal with flax because it is really a healthy food.

Also, question about xanthan vs yeast. Does the xanthan sub for yeast? Or would a person need to use yeast and xanthan for a yeast application? I thought the gums just made things stick together better and hold moisture.
jlp If your stomach can't handle the flax meal will it be able to handle the oat fiber? If you can handle that then I think almond meal would be OK to replace the flax. The only reason I don't use almond meal is A. the carbs and B I think it makes things heavy and grainy. I'm always looking for that soft airy texture of real bread. I think my last tweak came pretty darn close at least for me anyway.

Last edited by maru2; 01-09-2011 at 02:29 PM..
Old 01-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #134
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweet irony
Stats: 335/290/160 --5'8˝"
WOE: <50g carbs a day/grain free
Start Date: August '10
I made this recipe last night with almond meal in place of the flax and ghee in place of the chia gel. I didn't need any milk and just spread it out in a giant square on my silpat. It turned out GREAT. I cut it into smaller squares and then sliced one and toasted it to use as a hamburger bun. Sooo good. Just what I needed! I'm going to have to be careful not to make this too often. It's hard to stop eating when you've been feeling bread-deprived.
sweet irony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:35 PM   #135
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet irony View Post
I made this recipe last night with almond meal in place of the flax and ghee in place of the chia gel. I didn't need any milk and just spread it out in a giant square on my silpat. It turned out GREAT. I cut it into smaller squares and then sliced one and toasted it to use as a hamburger bun. Sooo good. Just what I needed! I'm going to have to be careful not to make this too often. It's hard to stop eating when you've been feeling bread-deprived.
That's great...do you make your own ghee or do you purchase it somewhere?
Old 01-10-2011, 12:31 AM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweet irony
Stats: 335/290/160 --5'8˝"
WOE: <50g carbs a day/grain free
Start Date: August '10
Quote:
That's great...do you make your own ghee or do you purchase it somewhere?
I've made it before, but this was store bought. To be acurate, it was ghee from plugra. I got it at the farmer's market so the price was right.

I can't wait to eat a piece of this tomorrow for breakfast. We just got half a foot of snow in Atlanta and more to come. "Toast" and coffee in the morning will be wonderful.
sweet irony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:53 AM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet irony View Post
I've made it before, but this was store bought. To be acurate, it was ghee from plugra. I got it at the farmer's market so the price was right.

I can't wait to eat a piece of this tomorrow for breakfast. We just got half a foot of snow in Atlanta and more to come. "Toast" and coffee in the morning will be wonderful.
Yikes, I heard that on the news. What's next snow down here in Florida? I shudder to think

I wish I could find the ghee around here. I made it before too and it's a pain but it makes such nice fried eggs. Enjoy your breakfast!
Old 01-10-2011, 06:01 AM   #138
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

jlp2009, this morning I made these for the third time. Best yet. I used 1 T chia seeds with 3/4 cup water. I let that set for a while. I also used 1/2 t xanthan, and no other liquids. The rest as OP posted. Excellent. Rose really high, lots of holes for butter.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:58 AM   #139
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Soobee--they really are like english muffins aren't they???? I love the holes for butter--"nooks and crannies", lol!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:35 AM   #140
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

so you used quite a bit more xantham gum, then? i didn't think 1/16th of a tsp was very much! lol.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #141
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bees~1flower View Post
so you used quite a bit more xantham gum, then? i didn't think 1/16th of a tsp was very much! lol.
You know I agree with your statement here and after reading up some more on xantham gum and "rise" I will agree that 1/2 or more a teaspoon should be a better measurement than 1/16 tsp, as Soobee posted!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Maru,
I can only use a small amount of oat fiber without issues but flax is worse. So it's a trade off which one to get rid of. I can use the almond meal or I might try Jennifers bake mix which would be a bit lighter than plain almond meal.

Soobee, thanks for the clarification. I like chia and it doesn't bother me so I can use it.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:36 AM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Maru,
I can only use a small amount of oat fiber without issues but flax is worse. So it's a trade off which one to get rid of. I can use the almond meal or I might try Jennifers bake mix which would be a bit lighter than plain almond meal.

Soobee, thanks for the clarification. I like chia and it doesn't bother me so I can use it.
I'd bet any bake mix would work. They will probably be a little different in taste and texture but I'm sure still good. For those of you that don't have a muffin top pan if you make my tweaked version I think you could get away with not using it. My tweaked version is so thick I have to spread it out in the muffin top anyway, it's like a drop biscuit dough. If you drop it by large spoonfuls on a cookie sheet and then spread them out to the size you want they will remain that way when you bake them. If you really want muffin top pans you can get them from Amazon.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:19 PM   #144

Quote:
OK, this is what I do now. They taste almost like Red Lobster biscuits to me and no more grainy texture.

1/2 cup golden flax
1/4 cup oat fiber
1/4 cup unflavored whey protein
1/4 cup wheat bran
1 T vital wheat gluten
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp xanthan gum

2 large eggs
3 T vegetable oil
1/2 cup hoods calorie count down milk ( I suppose you could use 1/4 cup cream and 1/4 cup of water)
1 T cider vinegar
1 drop liquid splenda
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese ( I'm guessing because I used 2 handfuls)

preheat oven to 350, spray muffin top pan with nonstick spray. Bake on middle shelf 10 to 12 minutes. makes 12 to 14 muffins.
I made these tonight and I will have to say they are the CLOSEST thing I have found to a REAL biscuit since LCing! I used Coconut milk in place of the Hoods milk so even with the wheat bran the carb count is only 1/2 carb more, like you said!!

Can't wait to have one with sausage gravy tomorrow morning for breakfast!!

Last edited by Beeb; 01-11-2011 at 06:32 PM..
Old 01-12-2011, 08:51 AM   #145
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Is this latest version good with other things besides breakfast, like tuna & ham salad, meat & cheese sandwiches, and burgers, or should I use the other recipe for those type things?

Linda are you baking these in a muffin top pan or in the pumpkin molds? Thanks!!

Thank you Wanda for all your tweaking!!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:10 AM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
Is this latest version good with other things besides breakfast, like tuna & ham salad, meat & cheese sandwiches, and burgers, or should I use the other recipe for those type things?

Linda are you baking these in a muffin top pan or in the pumpkin molds? Thanks!!

Thank you Wanda for all your tweaking!!
They taste like a biscuit to me so I'm using them for a breakfast or chicken and biscuit type application! I made them in my muffin top pan and they rose really nicely, big and fluffy! I use the original recipe for everything else that needs a bun type bread; burgers, sandwiches, tuna, ham, chicken salad. The original, I think, is more "made" for these type applications! And I like making them in the pumpkin molds because then it's a BIG roll!!
Old 01-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #147
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Thanks Linda, I was thinking the same thing..I actually had leftover fried chicken patties, so I had one for breakfast on one of the carbquik rolls I made the other day! Those are actually great for breakfast type sandwiches!

I will try making the buns in my custard cups, they are about 3 1/2" across and 2" deep, and will probably make these ones in my muffin top pan.

Thanks again!!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:31 AM   #148
Senior LCF Member

SooBee and Maru,
Can you please post the recipe version that you are now using?

I got confused since the original recipe calls for 2 eggs and 3-4 tbsp. chia gel.
SooBee are you subbing the chia and 3/4 c. water for the eggs and the chia in the original recipe?

Thanks!!
Old 01-13-2011, 05:54 AM   #149
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My Latest (and final) Version
1 T chia seeds
3/4 cup water
Mix and leave alone for a few minutes.
Mix
1/2 cup golden flax meal
1/4 cup oat fiber
2 T grated Parmesan
1/3 cup whey isolate (I use sweetened vanilla)
1 t baking powder
1/2 t xanthan
1/8 t salt

Add to the chia and water
2 beaten large eggs
1/2 cup mozzerella shreds

Add in dry ingredients. Put into silicone muffintop pan. Bake 16-18 minutes at 350.

I just made another batch yesterday. I ordered more muffintop pans so I can double and triple the recipe. Two of these with butter will fill you up for hours.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:41 AM   #150

Quote:
SooBee and Maru,
Can you please post the recipe version that you are now using?

I got confused since the original recipe calls for 2 eggs and 3-4 tbsp. chia gel.
SooBee are you subbing the chia and 3/4 c. water for the eggs and the chia in the original recipe?

Thanks!!
Not Maru or Soobee but if you look at the first thread post from me I showed what I replaced for a few of the ingredients. This may help you. I still like the original (with my tweaks) best for a sandwich type thing and Maru's for a biscuit type thing. Most of us are also using some measurement of Xanthan Gum for the rise, anywhere from 1/4 tsp to 1 tsp. Since I don't have the chia these both work well for me, but if you have the chia Soobee's recipe looks like a winner, also!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 01-13-2011 at 08:43 AM..