Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 07:55 AM   #91
Major LCF Poster!
 
Ginaaaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,398
Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
Stats: 184/177/163/158
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
So glad you love them as much as we all do!! I love the minces jalapinos pepper idea! I have some in curry and olive oil and I think I'll mince them up and put in my next batch!

I now have the dry mix all made up in baggies in the fridge, just pull one out, add the wet and in the oven!! They freeze wonderfully, too.
Good idea beeb! I need to do that too!! I am loving these so much! I had a cheeseburger on one last night with the works! A pickle on the side and some flax tortilla chips, felt like I was cheating big time!

No yucky funny tastes is what really sold me on these things! The fact that they hold together so well was just the icing on the cake. lol
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2011, 08:40 AM   #92
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 38,483
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
OK, ladies, I'm gonna make these soon but I have Designer Whey - I want to be sure I'm measuring accurately, so how big is "a scoop" of the protein powder from the original recipe here?

I believe the Designer Whey scoop holds 1/3 cup but I'll have to verify that. Don't want dry buns!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #93
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
ouizoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,367
Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
no Char! Dry buns are bad! LOL!!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:00 AM   #94
Major LCF Poster!
 
Ginaaaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,398
Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
Stats: 184/177/163/158
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 2009
Mine is 1/3 cup scoop Char, and this is the one I use. NOW Whey Protein Isolate
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #95
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 38,483
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Ouis, something I don't think I want AT ALL!

Gina, thanks! That should be all I need to know then.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #96
Senior LCF Member
 
oneoftwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 911
Gallery: oneoftwo
Stats: 146/120/120 (maintain 118-120max) 5'3.5"
WOE: Atkins/HCG one round to goal/JUDDD to maintain
Did everyone use jumbo size eggs? I wanted to try making these today but only have large eggs in the house
oneoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:42 AM   #97
Major LCF Poster!
 
Ginaaaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,398
Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
Stats: 184/177/163/158
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 2009
You can use three or four lg eggs for 2 jumbo eggs
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:01 AM   #98
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 12,049
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
You can use three or four lg eggs for 2 jumbo eggs
Gina is correct. I would start with 3 and see how dry the batter is. You can also check out this site for a better idea about egg size conversion.

Eggs, Egg Size Equivalents, Egg Conversions, Egg Size Equivalents
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:41 PM   #99
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
dazygyrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,773
Gallery: dazygyrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
Good idea beeb! I need to do that too!! I am loving these so much! I had a cheeseburger on one last night with the works! A pickle on the side and some flax tortilla chips, felt like I was cheating big time!

No yucky funny tastes is what really sold me on these things! The fact that they hold together so well was just the icing on the cake. lol
how thick are these when they are done baking? i'd love to see a pic of a burger with one of these.

i'm waiting on some unflavored whey to try theses again...and some xantham gum, too.
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:48 PM   #100
Major LCF Poster!
 
Ginaaaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,398
Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
Stats: 184/177/163/158
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 2009
They are plenty thick enough to cut in half. I made my burgers smaller to fit, but you could always just make the buns bigger.

These hold up way better than the oopsie rolls I think.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:33 PM   #101
Senior LCF Member
 
adiasmc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 414
Gallery: adiasmc1
Stats: 5'1" - 193/130
WOE: Weight Watchers
I am excited, just picked up some oat fiber at lunch! Can't wait to make these this weekend
adiasmc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #102
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SouthWest Virginia
Posts: 77
Gallery: galinva
Stats: 272/ 256/145
WOE: Low carb no <30 a day
Start Date: Restart LC August 27, 2012
Just got mine out of the oven and ate 1/2 of one with a little butter. Mine reminded me more of corn bread than an english muffin, but still good. I had to bake mine in a regular muffin pan as I don't have a muffin top pan. Will wait till they sit a while and see what I think of them then. But for a low carb bread I thought they were pretty good.
galinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:44 PM   #103
Senior LCF Member
 
shipoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 223
Gallery: shipoo
Stats: 192/176.5/142
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Nov 2012
These are awesome! I had no oat flour so I substituted two tablespoons of coconut flour and used three large eggs. I didn't need to use the almond milk. This recipe is a keeper!
shipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:40 PM   #104
Senior LCF Member
 
maru2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 339
Gallery: maru2
Stats: 170/145/135
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1/2007 restart 1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bees~1flower View Post
how thick are these when they are done baking? i'd love to see a pic of a burger with one of these.

i'm waiting on some unflavored whey to try theses again...and some xantham gum, too.



I tweaked these buns a bit and personally I think they are lighter, sturdier and they taste more like bread than cornmeal. However, the tweaks will increase the carb count by almost 1/2 carb per bun. If anyone is interested in my tweaks let me know and I will post them.
maru2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #105
Senior LCF Member
 
sweet irony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 465
Gallery: sweet irony
Stats: 335/290/160 --5'8˝"
WOE: <50g carbs a day/grain free
Start Date: August '10
Yes maru2, please post your tweaks! I think we all love to see what others come up with that works for them.


I love these, BTW, thanks for posting this recipe and for everyone else's tweaks. I was getting just a bit burned out on Oopsie rolls and this is just what I needed. <3
sweet irony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:03 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member
 
maru2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 339
Gallery: maru2
Stats: 170/145/135
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1/2007 restart 1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet irony View Post
Yes maru2, please post your tweaks! I think we all love to see what others come up with that works for them.


I love these, BTW, thanks for posting this recipe and for everyone else's tweaks. I was getting just a bit burned out on Oopsie rolls and this is just what I needed. <3
OK, this is what I do now. They taste almost like Red Lobster biscuits to me and no more grainy texture.

1/2 cup golden flax
1/4 cup oat fiber
1/4 cup unflavored whey protein
1/4 cup wheat bran
1 T vital wheat gluten
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp xanthan gum

2 large eggs
3 T vegetable oil
1/2 cup hoods calorie count down milk ( I suppose you could use 1/4 cup cream and 1/4 cup of water)
1 T cider vinegar
1 drop liquid splenda
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese ( I'm guessing because I used 2 handfuls)

preheat oven to 350, spray muffin top pan with nonstick spray. Bake on middle shelf 10 to 12 minutes. makes 12 to 14 muffins.
__________________
wanda
maru2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #107
Senior LCF Member
 
shipoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 223
Gallery: shipoo
Stats: 192/176.5/142
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Nov 2012
I tweaked these buns a bit and personally I think they are lighter, sturdier and they taste more like bread than cornmeal. However, the tweaks will increase the carb count by almost 1/2 carb per bun. If anyone is interested in my tweaks let me know and I will post them.[/QUOTE]


Oh yes Wanda, please post your tweaks.....I love the variety that comes when a recipe is tweaked!
shipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:06 PM   #108
Senior LCF Member
 
shipoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 223
Gallery: shipoo
Stats: 192/176.5/142
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Nov 2012
We must have been posting at the same time! I will have to try this one!
shipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #109
Senior LCF Member
 
maru2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 339
Gallery: maru2
Stats: 170/145/135
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1/2007 restart 1/2010

This is a picture of the pumpkin nut version with pillsbury sugar free frosting. There are 4 carbs in the frosting for 2 Tablespoons, I use 1 teaspoon warmed in the microwave for 2 muffins so it adds tons of flavor for hardly any carbs. I hope those of you that have already tried the muffins and like them will give these a try, they are delicious!!

1/2 cup golden flax
1/4 cup unflavored whey protein
1/4 cup oat fiber
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp nutmeg

2 large eggs
2 T vegetable oil
2 T water or milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup pumpkin
1/4 cup brown sugar substitute (I use diabetisweet)
1/4 cup white sugar substitute (I use Zsweet)
2 drops liquid splenda
1/2 cup nuts of choice (more or less depending on your taste
3/4 cup mozzarella cheese


preheat oven to 350, spray muffin top pan with nonstick spray. Bake on middle shelf 10 to 12 minutes. makes 12 or more muffins
maru2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:16 PM   #110
Senior LCF Member
 
shipoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 223
Gallery: shipoo
Stats: 192/176.5/142
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Nov 2012
Oh my you are killing me!

I want to eat everything right now!

p.s. is your avatar a shitzu? he/she is adorable!
shipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:16 PM   #111
Major LCF Poster!
 
Ginaaaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,398
Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
Stats: 184/177/163/158
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 2009
Wanda, those pumpkin muffins look yummy, what kind of frosting is on your muffins? I will try your tweaks for the english muffins!!

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 01-07-2011 at 10:54 PM..
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:29 PM   #112
Senior LCF Member
 
maru2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 339
Gallery: maru2
Stats: 170/145/135
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1/2007 restart 1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipoo View Post
Oh my you are killing me!

I want to eat everything right now!

p.s. is your avatar a shitzu? he/she is adorable!
That's my new puppy Sophie, she is a Yorkietzu (Yorkie shihtzu mix) the most lovable dog I have ever owned, people tell me it's the Shihtzu in her that makes her that way.

Gina, the frosting is ready made Pillsbury sugar free chocolate, they also had vanilla, it's da bomb
maru2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:55 PM   #113
Major LCF Poster!
 
Ginaaaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,398
Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
Stats: 184/177/163/158
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 2009
Thanks Wanda, and as you can tell it's getting late..I fixed your name in my last post, sorry about that!! I will have to check out that frosting!!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:01 AM   #114
Senior LCF Member
 
laranda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: California
Posts: 558
Gallery: laranda
Stats: 185lbs 5'1/147/GOAL-110
WOE: Atkins/IF
Start Date: LC Since 09 JUDDD - 1/30/12
Feast your eyes, on THE BAGEL



Mind over matter...it just tastes better with the hole in the middle. Same recipe in a donut pan. Tweaks: butter instead of the oil, diced onion sprinkled on top (and next time in the actual batter, yum!) and almond flour instead of flax, I really cannot stand the taste of flax It is a carbier version, yes, but they are dense and filling, I cannot imagine gorging on them. Also, great tip on the xantham gum!

How does everyone store these? I know freezing is an option but if I just have one batch hanging around, should they be in the fridge? On the table? In a ziplock??
__________________
-elle


Mini goal: 159 - MET 5/5/11 !
Mini goal (unexpected): fit into a sz 12 jacket! 5/18/11
Mini goal: 145 (license weight) - we met, briefly 10/10/11
Mini goal: 132 (no longer overweight)
laranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:32 AM   #115
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Soobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,278
Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I just made these this morning. DH and I loved them. I used the chia gel and 2 large eggs. Also, I only had vanilla whey protein, and they tasted just fine, not sweet at all.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:13 AM   #116
Senior LCF Member
 
maru2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 339
Gallery: maru2
Stats: 170/145/135
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1/2007 restart 1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by laranda View Post
Feast your eyes, on THE BAGEL



Mind over matter...it just tastes better with the hole in the middle. Same recipe in a donut pan. Tweaks: butter instead of the oil, diced onion sprinkled on top (and next time in the actual batter, yum!) and almond flour instead of flax, I really cannot stand the taste of flax It is a carbier version, yes, but they are dense and filling, I cannot imagine gorging on them. Also, great tip on the xantham gum!

How does everyone store these? I know freezing is an option but if I just have one batch hanging around, should they be in the fridge? On the table? In a ziplock??
They look very pretty Elle. I store mine in a baggy in the refrigerator and just warm in the microwave for 10 seconds before using. That was a great tip Linda (Beeb) gave us for the xanthan gum, it really improved the texture and rise. I also found a tablespoon of cider vinegar works with the soda to lighten them as well. You can't taste the vinegar in the flax but I have never tried making them with almond meal.
maru2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:00 AM   #117
Major LCF Poster!
 
jigglenomore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SW Missouri Ozarks
Posts: 1,021
Gallery: jigglenomore
Stats: Mac Truck/Small SUV/Mini-Cooper
WOE: Atkins/South Beach/Low Glycemic/Voodoo
Elle, your bagels look awesome! I'm waiting on my order of oat fiber & xanthan gum to make these! Thanks to everyone on here for the recipes and tweaks!
jigglenomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:18 AM   #118
Major LCF Poster!
 
jigglenomore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SW Missouri Ozarks
Posts: 1,021
Gallery: jigglenomore
Stats: Mac Truck/Small SUV/Mini-Cooper
WOE: Atkins/South Beach/Low Glycemic/Voodoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb
Wanda, can you post your recipe for this pizza crust, please! I'm thinking it's the basic recipe with more cheese and some garlic, but I may be wrong.

Thanks for this!

Yes Linda it is only I do mine in tablespoons because it was easier to experiment with it that way. So my basic goes...

6 Tablespoons golden Flax
4 Tablespoons oat fiber
5 Tablespoons unflavored whey
1 teaspoon baking powder...plus 1/2 teaspoon soda if making pizza crust
1 teaspoon of garlic powder

2 eggs
2 Tablespoons water
2 Tablespoons of oil
cheddar cheese... I don't really measure, I add by handfuls until the batter is the thickness of say drop biscuits but I would guess it's about 3/4 cups.

When I was a kid growing up we had something called fried cornbread. I loved it but I hadn't had it in years, anyway I fried a batch of this yesterday it turned out really crispy and tasted a whole lot like that fried corn bread. I'm betting this mix would make a great breading for anything fried.
wanda

Wanda, (Sorry for not knowing how to highlight this previous part correctly!)... do you add any xanthan gum to this pizza crust recipe since you use it in your newest tweaked version? And would that make it rise and not be as crispy? Wondering, 'cause I'm after the thin and crispy kind! Thanks so much!
__________________
Elaine
A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.
jigglenomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:39 AM   #119
Pam
Major LCF Poster!
 
Pam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,028
Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2 View Post
OK, this is what I do now. They taste almost like Red Lobster biscuits to me and no more grainy texture.

1/2 cup golden flax
1/4 cup oat fiber
1/4 cup unflavored whey protein
1/4 cup wheat bran
1 T vital wheat gluten
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp xanthan gum

2 large eggs
3 T vegetable oil
1/2 cup hoods calorie count down milk ( I suppose you could use 1/4 cup cream and 1/4 cup of water)
1 T cider vinegar
1 drop liquid splenda
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese ( I'm guessing because I used 2 handfuls)

preheat oven to 350, spray muffin top pan with nonstick spray. Bake on middle shelf 10 to 12 minutes. makes 12 to 14 muffins.


I'm just curious.....how does the cider vinegar contribute to this recipe? Flavor/acidity?
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #120
Senior LCF Member
 
maru2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 339
Gallery: maru2
Stats: 170/145/135
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1/2007 restart 1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglenomore View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb
Wanda, can you post your recipe for this pizza crust, please! I'm thinking it's the basic recipe with more cheese and some garlic, but I may be wrong.

Thanks for this!

Yes Linda it is only I do mine in tablespoons because it was easier to experiment with it that way. So my basic goes...

6 Tablespoons golden Flax
4 Tablespoons oat fiber
5 Tablespoons unflavored whey
1 teaspoon baking powder...plus 1/2 teaspoon soda if making pizza crust
1 teaspoon of garlic powder

2 eggs
2 Tablespoons water
2 Tablespoons of oil
cheddar cheese... I don't really measure, I add by handfuls until the batter is the thickness of say drop biscuits but I would guess it's about 3/4 cups.

When I was a kid growing up we had something called fried cornbread. I loved it but I hadn't had it in years, anyway I fried a batch of this yesterday it turned out really crispy and tasted a whole lot like that fried corn bread. I'm betting this mix would make a great breading for anything fried.
wanda

Wanda, (Sorry for not knowing how to highlight this previous part correctly!)... do you add any xanthan gum to this pizza crust recipe since you use it in your newest tweaked version? And would that make it rise and not be as crispy? Wondering, 'cause I'm after the thin and crispy kind! Thanks so much!
Elaine, the pizza crust has changed significantly, it has it's own thread and it is very thin and crispy.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-pictures.html
maru2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:41 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.