Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 10:47 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maru2
Stats: 170/145/135
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1/2007 restart 1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
I am going to try this as a pizza, do you use a whole recipe for the cake pan?

Linda, do you cut these in half and toast them? Can you put them in a regular toaster or do you need to put them in a toaster oven? Thanks!!
Ginaaaaaa, my recipe makes makes about 2 or 3 pizza crusts and I use shredded cheddar and 1 teaspoon of garlic powder for the crust. There's more fat in cheddar so it makes a crispier crust. Make the batter rather thick and put a few dollops in the cake pan, put some olive oil on your hands and press it around nice and thin. I bake the crust first at 350 for 10 minutes, take it out and add my ingredients , put back in oven at about 450 until cheese is melted. Use your left over batter for buns.
maru2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2010, 01:14 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
I use them just like English Muffins; slice and put in regular toaster and toast lightly.

The pizza crust sounds great, too!!
Thanks Linda!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2 View Post
Ginaaaaaa, my recipe makes makes about 2 or 3 pizza crusts and I use shredded cheddar and 1 teaspoon of garlic powder for the crust. There's more fat in cheddar so it makes a crispier crust. Make the batter rather thick and put a few dollops in the cake pan, put some olive oil on your hands and press it around nice and thin. I bake the crust first at 350 for 10 minutes, take it out and add my ingredients , put back in oven at about 450 until cheese is melted. Use your left over batter for buns.
Great, sounds good!!! Thank you!!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:38 PM   #33
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Wanda, can you post your recipe for this pizza crust, please! I'm thinking it's the basic recipe with more cheese and some garlic, but I may be wrong.

Thanks for this!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Freeway
Stats: 254/219.6/ 200 first goal
WOE: Not yet decided
What can you use in place of oat fiber...can't seem to find at this moment in time in the UK...
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:14 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
What can you use in place of oat fiber...can't seem to find at this moment in time in the UK...
You could use Oat Bran or Wheat Bran, just make sure to adjust the carbs!
Old 12-20-2010, 05:05 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Wanda, can you post your recipe for this pizza crust, please! I'm thinking it's the basic recipe with more cheese and some garlic, but I may be wrong.

Thanks for this!
Yes Linda it is only I do mine in tablespoons because it was easier to experiment with it that way. So my basic goes...

6 Tablespoons golden Flax
4 Tablespoons oat fiber
5 Tablespoons unflavored whey
1 teaspoon baking powder...plus 1/2 teaspoon soda if making pizza crust
1 teaspoon of garlic powder

2 eggs
2 Tablespoons water
2 Tablespoons of oil
cheddar cheese... I don't really measure, I add by handfuls until the batter is the thickness of say drop biscuits but I would guess it's about 3/4 cups.

When I was a kid growing up we had something called fried cornbread. I loved it but I hadn't had it in years, anyway I fried a batch of this yesterday it turned out really crispy and tasted a whole lot like that fried corn bread. I'm betting this mix would make a great breading for anything fried.
wanda
Old 12-20-2010, 05:09 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
You don't have to use oat fiber, just increase the flax and unflavored protein powder 2 Tablespoons each.

Wanda
Old 12-20-2010, 05:51 PM   #38

Quote:
Yes Linda it is only I do mine in tablespoons because it was easier to experiment with it that way. So my basic goes...

6 Tablespoons golden Flax
4 Tablespoons oat fiber
5 Tablespoons unflavored whey
1 teaspoon baking powder...plus 1/2 teaspoon soda if making pizza crust
1 teaspoon of garlic powder

2 eggs
2 Tablespoons water
2 Tablespoons of oil
cheddar cheese... I don't really measure, I add by handfuls until the batter is the thickness of say drop biscuits but I would guess it's about 3/4 cups.

When I was a kid growing up we had something called fried cornbread. I loved it but I hadn't had it in years, anyway I fried a batch of this yesterday it turned out really crispy and tasted a whole lot like that fried corn bread. I'm betting this mix would make a great breading for anything fried.
wanda
OH MAN!! Now I gotta try frying this!! I made the crust before I saw your post. I used half for the pizza crust, which I added garlic powder to and the other half I made into a sweet, danish type thing with a cream cheese center, sweetener, gingerbread DaVinci SF Syrup and chopped pecans!

I'm so full from the pizza I couldn't even taste the danish but OMG do they smell yummy!!!!

Thanks for the recipe. My crust was OK, kinda bready and not as crisp as I would like it to be. As a matter of fact it would have made a great focaccia bread with veggie toppings!

I didn't think to add the baking soda and I'm sure your recipe will be much better for a crispy crust! Will be trying this in the next few days!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Old 12-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Now Linda you know you've got to post that danish recipe it sounds fantastic.

The thinner the crust the crispier it will be. My sister likes hers real crispy so she oils up a pizza pan flattens out the batter very thin almost to the point where it's see through. and her crusts are always crispy. She also uses the bottom rack of her oven. Oven temperatures very too, my oven is electric and when I make the buns I can only bake them 10 minutes or they will burn, I noticed yours said 12 to 14 min. and your buns were still very light. I hope you had some pizza left cause I find it's better the next day.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:45 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

You know Linda when you mentioned focaccia bread with veggie toppings you got me thinking. My mom used to make a veggie pizza appetizer. I will have to find the recipe to be sure but I think she used to mix a packet of ranch with cream cheese and spread on top of already baked and cooled pizza crust she also used to poke holes in the crust while it was baking to make it crispier. Then topped it (I think) with chopped broccoli and carrots. My mom has passed so I will see if one of my sisters has the recipe.
Wanda
Old 12-20-2010, 08:38 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Hey Linda, I was just wondering if you used cheddar in your sweet bun. I always use mozzarella for sweet ones and was wondering if you did how did they turn out?

Wanda

P.S. sorry for so many posts

Last edited by maru2; 12-20-2010 at 08:39 PM..
Old 12-20-2010, 08:55 PM   #42

Quote:
Now Linda you know you've got to post that danish recipe it sounds fantastic.

The thinner the crust the crispier it will be. My sister likes hers real crispy so she oils up a pizza pan flattens out the batter very thin almost to the point where it's see through. and her crusts are always crispy. She also uses the bottom rack of her oven. Oven temperatures very too, my oven is electric and when I make the buns I can only bake them 10 minutes or they will burn, I noticed yours said 12 to 14 min. and your buns were still very light. I hope you had some pizza left cause I find it's better the next day.
I have propane so it tends to run a bit cooler on cold days. I have learned to always start at the highest amount of time for the recipe and just keep an eye on it. I also tend to use my rack one up from the bottom. No pizza left, it was too good not to eat it all! I used a 7 inch pie pan, though and only used half the recipe for the crust. It was kinda thick and next time I'm going to try your sister's thinner crust.

Quote:
Hey Linda, I was just wondering if you used cheddar in your sweet bun. I always use mozzarella for sweet ones and was wondering if you did how did they turn out?

Wanda

P.S. sorry for so many posts
First, I love your idea so never say sorry for your posts on any of my recipes!

I did use cheddar, about 1/4 of a cup. It is a very mild, creamy cheddar called Adams Reserve and I just love it. I haven't tried the danish yet, but will let you know tomorrow morning when I have one for breakfast. If it's good I'll post the recipe. They smell heavenly but as you well know smell can be deceiving in LC baked goods. Hopefully they will be great, but if not......back to the drawing board!!

Your Mom's recipe for the focaccia bread sounds great! When you find it be sure to post it in a new thread for all of us to see!
Old 12-20-2010, 09:43 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Your Mom's recipe for the focaccia bread sounds great! When you find it be sure to post it in a new thread for all of us to see!
I've got emails out looking for my moms recipe. I can't wait to find out about your danish. I love them and haven't had one in a long time. I tried the mock danish that was posted here once but it didn't taste anything like a danish to me.

I had your hot cereal with pecans for my night time snack...it was so good! My sister loves it too and wanted me to tell you she loves you for sharing it LOL. She said she didn't think she could eat another egg for breakfast.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:39 AM   #44

Quote:
I've got emails out looking for my moms recipe. I can't wait to find out about your danish. I love them and haven't had one in a long time. I tried the mock danish that was posted here once but it didn't taste anything like a danish to me.

I had your hot cereal with pecans for my night time snack...it was so good! My sister loves it too and wanted me to tell you she loves you for sharing it LOL. She said she didn't think she could eat another egg for breakfast.
To you and your sister! I am posting the Danish Recipe on another thread so it won't get lost! I am naming it Cap's/Ouizoid's/Beeb's Cheese Danish!
Old 12-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
Quote:
You don't have to use oat fiber, just increase the flax and unflavored protein powder 2 Tablespoons each.

Wanda
could a person pulvarize some oatmeal in a blender to make a flour, or is that not the same thing as oat fiber
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:00 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny7 View Post
could a person pulvarize some oatmeal in a blender to make a flour, or is that not the same thing as oat fiber
No, sorry, not the same thing. Link on blue link in your quote above for oat fiber here and read the nutritional facts. Oat Fiber is 0 carbs, Oatmeal is a LOT higher.

Last edited by Beeb; 12-21-2010 at 02:01 PM..
Old 12-21-2010, 03:02 PM   #47

OK, got an idea! If we add a bit of yeast to this and let it "proof" for about 5 to 10 minutes would it rise? Would we be able to make Focaccia Bread from this with the whole recipe in one pan?

Anyone?

Last edited by Beeb; 12-21-2010 at 03:04 PM..
Old 12-21-2010, 03:35 PM   #48
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
As long as the yeast has something upon which to feed, it should proof. I've been making low carb bread today and the yeast is proofing.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:58 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
OK, got an idea! If we add a bit of yeast to this and let it "proof" for about 5 to 10 minutes would it rise? Would we be able to make Focaccia Bread from this with the whole recipe in one pan?

Anyone?
Well I've been wondering the same thing LOL, I didn't have any yeast to try it so I made biscuits instead today. The biscuits were a little crumbly but not to bad, the more I ate the more I like them. I thought they had potential for other things, like bread crumbs. I've been on Youtube today and I think we could take the base and make a type of biquick to which we could add all kinds of things.

Wanda
Old 12-21-2010, 05:00 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

[QUOTE=cleochatra;14192898]As long as the yeast has something upon which to feed, it should proof. I've been making low carb bread today and the yeast is proofing.[/QUOTE

Like a little real sugar Cleo?
Old 12-22-2010, 11:19 AM   #51
something there

No, not real sugar. Some of the sugar subs out there will still work with the yeast. Sorry for not checking back sooner!
Old 12-22-2010, 12:38 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
No, not real sugar. Some of the sugar subs out there will still work with the yeast. Sorry for not checking back sooner!

Thank you Cleo, I will try diabetisweet.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #53
something there

Definitely try it! There are a couple about to come out on the market hopefully during the next quarter which will also be winners.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:33 PM   #54

From my bread maker best friend (her bread is to DIE FOR):

"Yeast does not need sugar or a sugar sub to proof. If you leave yeast in the right temperature of water long enough it will proof."

She told me today she never uses sugar!
Old 12-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
From my bread maker best friend (her bread is to DIE FOR):

"Yeast does not need sugar or a sugar sub to proof. If you leave yeast in the right temperature of water long enough it will proof."

She told me today she never uses sugar!
Good to know Linda. Tomorrow I take my puppy in for shots so while I'm out I will pick up yeast. Tonight I am experimenting with the pizza crust. I didn't use an egg in the base but used a Tablespoon of gluten instead. I'm letting it rest (because I read today gluten should rest for 2 hours) we'll see if it makes a difference. I will report back tonight.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:41 PM   #56

Quote:
Good to know Linda. Tomorrow I take my puppy in for shots so while I'm out I will pick up yeast. Tonight I am experimenting with the pizza crust. I didn't use an egg in the base but used a Tablespoon of gluten instead. I'm letting it rest (because I read today gluten should rest for 2 hours) we'll see if it makes a difference. I will report back tonight.
LOVE THAT PUPPY!!! Now back on topic: Please let us know what happens. I made a focaccia bread today with this using yeast but I didn't do it right and it didn't rise very well, but boy oh boy does it taste wonderful! All I did was put the whole recipe in a square 9 x 9 pan and before baking sprinkled olive oil and some rosemary on top!

Yummy!!! Going to make a grilled cheese panini with it tomorrow!!
Old 12-22-2010, 11:07 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
LOVE THAT PUPPY!!! Now back on topic: Please let us know what happens. I made a focaccia bread today with this using yeast but I didn't do it right and it didn't rise very well, but boy oh boy does it taste wonderful! All I did was put the whole recipe in a square 9 x 9 pan and before baking sprinkled olive oil and some rosemary on top!

Yummy!!! Going to make a grilled cheese panini with it tomorrow!!
Wow that sounds wonderful! I really miss yeast breads. I made the pizza and it turned out pretty good, nice and crispy. I let it get a little to brown but my husband liked it a lot. I took pictures and will post it soon, I just have a lot to do these next few days. Oh yeah I have pictures of the fried bread too.

Last edited by maru2; 12-22-2010 at 11:09 PM..
Old 12-23-2010, 06:37 AM   #58
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Do you think Jenn Eloff's bake mix would work as part of a sub for the flax meal? I was thinking 1/2 bake mix and 1/2 chia meal. I'm allergic to flax.
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:14 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
Do you think Jenn Eloff's bake mix would work as part of a sub for the flax meal? I was thinking 1/2 bake mix and 1/2 chia meal. I'm allergic to flax.
Give it a try, small batch and see what happens, Poot. I'm betting it will probably work fine!
Old 12-23-2010, 01:22 PM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
i just took a batch of these outta da oven!!

i'm curious how they will taste...all i have is vanilla whey. lol! vanilla and parmesan....could be interesting....

is there something else that that the parmesan could be subbed with?
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote