Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MemoryKeeper
Stats: 233.5/153.5/133
WOE: Currently: JUDDDkins
Start Date: 10/18/2011
Corn and Egg Pudding

I found this recipe in a cookbook "Everything Low Carb," by Patricia Butkus, and wondered if anyone had a good substitution for the corn:

Butter, for greasing
2 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
2.5 c of corn kernels
1/2 c heavy cream
1/4 pound smoked ham, chopped
1/4 pound Gruyere cheese
1/2 t sweet paprika

1. Preheat oven to 375. butter a small baking dish.
2. In a bowl whisk all eggs and stirn in corn and cream, then ham, cheese and paprika.
3. Pour the mix into the dish. Bake 30 minutes until lightly golden. Scoop out onto warm plates and serve immediately.

Thanks so much!
Jeanette
MemoryKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1annewil
Stats: 165/156/150
WOE: Atkins/JUDD/Potato Hack/
Hominy, maybe.
1annewil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:59 PM   #3
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
My question is how can a recipe with 2.5 cups of corn be in a book named "EVERYTHING LOW CARB"?

Something is just not right there!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:13 PM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
many vegetables combine with those other ingredients to make various sorts of vegetable bakes and crustless quiches, but they aren't anything like corn pudding!

I made one with a half pound of sliced and sauteed mushrooms and about 4 ounces of chopped artichoke hearts last weekend and people just swooned over how good it was. there was a LOT of grated chedder in it.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

thanks!

too funny, I know "low carb" is relative! That one is considered "moderate" on the scale of low and moderate (although there should be a high)....Thanks, those both sound so good!
Old 12-09-2010, 02:54 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Corn Pudding

I would try it with Mexican hominy. It is not high in carbs for 1/2 c.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:35 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Mexican hominy would be great..Also cooked cauliflower..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
On paper corn is high carb but in our bodies we get very little out of eating whole kernel corn. It passes through our digestive systems for the most part unchanged. For humans to get any nutrition out of corn it must be processed with lye as in hominy or the massa that is used to make corn tortillas with.

The ancient peoples of the Americas used to soak their corn in wet wood ash to make it easy to remove the tough outer hulls before they ground it to make their tortillas. They didn't know they were processing the corn the only way possible to make it nutritious to humans.

When the Spanish took corn back to Spain with them they didn't take the knowledge of how to process it. When the people planted it and ate corn as a main part of their diet, they slowly starved to death with a full stomach.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

This was very interesting. I agree, and I think I will use the corn next time I make it. I skippped the corn altogether and it was really good but a lot like a quiche!

I will look up the Mexican hominy....love hominy anyway! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chicken Lady View Post
On paper corn is high carb but in our bodies we get very little out of eating whole kernel corn. It passes through our digestive systems for the most part unchanged. For humans to get any nutrition out of corn it must be processed with lye as in hominy or the massa that is used to make corn tortillas with.

The ancient peoples of the Americas used to soak their corn in wet wood ash to make it easy to remove the tough outer hulls before they ground it to make their tortillas. They didn't know they were processing the corn the only way possible to make it nutritious to humans.

When the Spanish took corn back to Spain with them they didn't take the knowledge of how to process it. When the people planted it and ate corn as a main part of their diet, they slowly starved to death with a full stomach.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:53 PM   #10
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
What about baby corn? Maybe chopped.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:45 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistertzu View Post
What about baby corn? Maybe chopped.
I don't know... information I stated about corn I got from watching the Nutritional Anthropologist that guest stars on Good Eats.
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:

Chicken Lady, has this been confirmed by people measuring their blood sugar after eating corn, or something like that? I wonder if any of the veg sugar "leaches" out of the corn in the process (and if so, if the degree to which that happens varies widely from one person to another)...

Man, if this is true of me, it would be a neat discovery! (For a treat, that is, not that I'd start eating corn at every other meal.)
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher View Post
Chicken Lady, has this been confirmed by people measuring their blood sugar after eating corn, or something like that? I wonder if any of the veg sugar "leaches" out of the corn in the process (and if so, if the degree to which that happens varies widely from one person to another)...

Man, if this is true of me, it would be a neat discovery! (For a treat, that is, not that I'd start eating corn at every other meal.)
Not that I'm aware of...but even if it had been I wouldn't trust it.

I have eaten products developed for diabetics that have raised my blood sugar quite a lot, but corn does not. I eat it on every once in a while (in moderation) and I have no problems with is. I use a couple of teaspoons of honey in my coffee on a daily basis and have no problem with it. But Dreamfield pasta shoots my blood sugar through the roof. So here again your mileage may vary.
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:39 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
Not that I'm aware of...but even if it had been I wouldn't trust it.

I have eaten products developed for diabetics that have raised my blood sugar quite a lot, but corn does not. I eat it on every once in a while (in moderation) and I have no problems with is. I use a couple of teaspoons of honey in my coffee on a daily basis and have no problem with it. But Dreamfield pasta shoots my blood sugar through the roof. So here again your mileage may vary.
There you go. Thanks for the interesting information!
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:40 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: happylabs
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 1, 2010
Darn. I was hoping this was going to be a low carb recipe. I love baked corn! Drooling...........
happylabs is offline   Reply With Quote