Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
I made this (or my tweaked version) of it this morning. I didn't want to make a large batch yet either till I tried it. (Especially with my tweak.)
I used:

1/4 cup wheat bran
1/4 cup flaxmeal
1/8 cup oat fiber (NOT oat bran which is much higher in carbs) (wanted to cut back on the flax)
1 scoop Protein Pwd. (this time I use Designer Whey vanilla praline)

I measured out 1/2 cup (about 1/2), and added boiling water & stirred. Didn't cook. I added a few drops of stevia liquid (weak solution), a pat of butter, and a little cream. I soon realized that the 1/2 cup was NOT going to be enough! So I added the rest of the mix, and more boiling water. (I didn't measure the water either time, just added & stirred till it looked about right.) Oh, I added a dash of vanilla extract, and a few roasted pumpkin seeds (shelled) as well.

I will now probably mix up a larger batch. I think I will need a cup of the mix, or close to it! 1/2 cup just isn't near enough for me!

Mine is probably a little higher carb than Beeb's because of the PP I used (and/or) will use. I don't have any that low in carbs. But it will still be quite low carb, and have lots of fiber. I will probably just use vanilla PP next, and save my vanilla praline for when I can taste the difference more. May fix some up using chocolate also (probably having to add a little extra cocoa to the bowl... ???). And possibly try some with some strawberry PP I have.

I had missed that Beeb used coconut milk in hers. I like that idea (would then have to nuke it), and/or the almond milk some used. Both these sound good in it. Wouldn't use at the same time I don't think, but that might very well be good too, especially with the chocolate. And maybe a little shredded or flaked sf coconut! Hmmmmm,,,, may have to try that next week. (won't be doing hot cereal for breakfast this weekend)

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2011, 03:22 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
This looks like a good amount of protein. I find if I don't get enough protein for breakfast, I am nibbling all day.How was the taste?
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:07 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Not sure who you were asking Soobee.

But, taste is such a hard thing to define. We don't all like the same things. What some love, others loathe.

Anyway, I don't love this, but I like it well enough that I will make it again!

Added note: I meant to put chia gell in mine this am, and forgot. Maybe next time I make it.....
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:40 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cdilday
Stats: 378/212/145
WOE: hHCG 6-19-11, 9-10-11
Start Date: December 2008 LC
Taste? Good, IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
This looks like a good amount of protein. I find if I don't get enough protein for breakfast, I am nibbling all day.How was the taste?
I'll go out on a limb and say that it was surprising good! I say "surprising" because I don't like most hot cereals and always loathed cold cereals. I also feel very satisfied and full for hours...so I would think the urge to nibble would be curbed.

Mix just a single serving batch 'cause you'll never know for sure until you try it for yourself.
cdilday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:59 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Macc0021
Stats: Pregnant - trying to keep gains at a minimum! :)
WOE: wheat allergy + low carb + pregnant!
Start Date: Every day!
I bookmarked this thread because I wanted to try this... I just mixed up a batch but tweaked it a bit because I didn't have protein powder.

I just used about 3 tbsp. each of flax meal and almond meal... mixed in some cinnamon, and brought the dry mix to work. Once at work, I added hot water and EZ Sweets. It was delicious! Good, warm, and filling.
Macc0021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Bumping this up, I made it with Bananas and Cream Protein Powder, added both salt and a hoarded Splenda Quick pack.

Really great!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
OLD THREAD

I remember this hot cereal, as soon as I tasted it-it all came back to me, Slime. Why isn't anyone mentioning the slimey mouth feel from the ground flax. I am glad I only made a half batch.

With the rest I will make the waffles.

Debbie....
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #38
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater Head View Post
I remember this hot cereal, as soon as I tasted it-it all came back to me, Slime. Why isn't anyone mentioning the slimey mouth feel from the ground flax. I am glad I only made a half batch.

With the rest I will make the waffles.

Debbie....
Hmmmm, never thought it had a slimy mouth feel at all. I use the Golden Flax meal and maybe that is the difference? I like the mild taste of the golden and have always used it, after trying the regular Flax meal way back when.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #39
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cselzler
WOE: moderate carbs
How much is in a "scoop" of protein powder. Every brand that I have has a different size scoop and I don't usually save them.
cselzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Usually I use 1/3 cup as a scoop. You are correct. They are all different, but 1/3 cup is the most common.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Thanks for the single serving proportions.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote