Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cdilday
Stats: 378/212/145
WOE: hHCG 6-19-11, 9-10-11
Start Date: December 2008 LC
E-readers in the Kitchen

So many wonderful recipes here, and my stack of paper-printed recipes was becoming overwhelming! After considering and shopping and reading reviews over the last couple of months, I splurged and bought myself an e-reader. I LOVE IT!

I've downloaded all my "go-to recipes" so far and working on more. It is easier to find & retrieve the recipes, easier to read in the kitchen, easier to add my own notes, change font sizes and... no more printed sheets! So many advantages (IMHO) that I had to share my excitement.

I like to read "book books", too, but the recipes were the (sf) icing on my (sf) cake!
cdilday is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DBrown8614
Stats: 200/165/125
WOE: Dr. Atkins
Start Date: November 2003
That is a great idea cdilday! Glad it is working out so nicely for you Which one did you buy?
DBrown8614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #3
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
That's brilliant and COULD be the thing that makes me want to have one. I seldom have time to just sit and read, but I sure hate trying to shuffle through pages of recipes I've printed off - this might just do the trick!

SANTAAAAA...........

So yeah - which one did you buy, and how do you get your recipe favorites downloaded to it?

Last edited by Charski; 12-03-2010 at 03:03 PM..
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
I have a Kindle, but please let us know which e reader and how do you do it. I could sure get rid of a thousand pieces of paper. TIA, Julie
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:04 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I purchased a Kindle...$139, so it wasn't just pocket change to me. Best purchase in a long time!

If you have an older Kindle, your options and capabilities may be different than mine, but here's what I did.

This list is off the kindle/amazon web page: "You can send unprotected Microsoft Word, PDF, HTML, TXT, RTF, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, PRC and MOBI files to your Kindle e-mail address."

So the first step is to probably cut/paste a recipe into whatever software you have that can save or export it as one of these acceptable file types. I'm using a recipe manager software already, and it allows me to "export to .html", but you could also cut/paste a recipe directly into MS Word, then just save it as a word document. (If it is one of Aunt Mabel's secret recipes, then you'll just have to type it out the old fashioned way I guess, or scan the recipe card as a JPEG?)

Once you have a recipe in the acceptable file format, you attached the file to an email addressed to your kindle account on Amazon (name@free.kindle.com), making sure to put "Convert" in the subject line. You can attach up to 25 .html files (recipes) in each email. Within moments after sending the email, they were individually converted to kindle-speak (.mobi) and loaded (via wifi) to my Kindle. Then all I had to do was shuffle them a bit into organized "collections".

Once I figured it out with 1 recipe (15 minutes?), I moved 40 recipes in about 5 minutes. There is no charge for this type of conversion service.

This process may sound somewhat difficult, but there are detailed instructions if you go into Amazon Kindle Store, Manage Your Kindle, and look for links related to or search for "Transferring, Downloading, and Sending Files to Kindle". In fact, there is enough detail that it was a little confusing on what applied to my situation and what didn't.

Hope this helps, cause this was a wonderful solution to a growing problem of mine!
Old 12-03-2010, 10:34 PM   #6
Gadget Gal

Wow, THANKS! I'm gonna seriously look into this!
Old 12-04-2010, 06:23 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/147/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
That's such a brilliant idea! I, too, am a paper recipe collector and it's hard to find what I'm looking for. So many recipes, so little time!
theredhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:26 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Princessdmw33
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: November, 2009
That is a brilliant idea and I am going to try to do that! We got my mother a Nook for Christmas so I may try to do some of these before we give it to her!
Princessdmw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:34 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DBrown8614
Stats: 200/165/125
WOE: Dr. Atkins
Start Date: November 2003
That is brilliant! Great way to get double the use out of an e-reader! Thank you for the details
DBrown8614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:54 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I got one of the first Kindles. I don't think this option is available to me. Sounds pretty compicated. Thank you. Wish I could do this. Julie
Old 12-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #11
Gadget Gal

So, being a neophyte to e-readers and such - is there a monthly fee to connect via Wi-Fi?
Old 12-04-2010, 10:02 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Charski, I can't speak for any e-readers other than the latest version of Kindle (mine is the non-3G), but there hasn't been any additional fees for me other than the Kindle's purchase price.

I already had Wi-Fi, and I paid less than $20 (one-time) to purchase the Wi-Fi adapter for my modem. There is no on-going, monthly fee to use the Wi-Fi. I suppose you should check with your ISP to verify...they all have their own fine print.

Again, just regarding the kindle:
There are tons of free books as well as independent services that will send you a daily email on new books being offered for free. These free e-books are offered thru Amazon by the publishers, and the free offers on an ebook can last from 1 hour to indefinitely (so what is free today may not be free tomorrow). There are lots of popular authors available for $10 or less. If you are wanting a "new release" from a popular author, then you are going to have to pay looks like between $10-$15.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:47 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lewlew48
Thanks for the post and the instructions. You've solved my dilemma. I know what I'm getting for Xmas!
lewlew48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:39 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Princessdmw33
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: November, 2009
If you have a Nook all you have to do is save your documents as a .pdf and transfer them to your Nook in "My Documents".
Princessdmw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:15 PM   #15
Gadget Gal

OK, so I found a refurbished DX direct from Amazon for $219.99, delivered! Can't wait to get it now.

It looks like you can also connect to your computer via a USB cable and transfer files THAT way, so that's my plan - all my recipes are in .txt format so shouldn't be difficult.

Thanks for enabling me, cdilday!

DH said, "Just get it!" so I did.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:20 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

lol...you're quite welcome Charski! Anytime I can help you spend your money, I'm your person! My own is another matter.

Yes, my model will connect via USB to charge and to download, too, but the wi-fi works so slick that I haven't had any cord attached to it except to charge the battery initially. Estimate says that the charge will last for 1 month, too. Not bad! And the search feature works really well to find recipes by main ingredient, title, etc.

Hope you will enjoy your model as much as I'm loving this one and that it arrives soon!
Old 12-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #17
Gadget Gal

ME TOO! I hope it gets here next week - it said 4 to 5 days.

From what I read on the Amazon site, they charge you .15 for each GB of data you transfer using the Whispernet - and I'd guess that the USB will be FREEEEEE.... So I'll try that and see. Not to say I won't use the Whispernet though! I'm sure I will!

Yeah, I'm really good at spending other people's $$$ myself....
Old 12-05-2010, 07:27 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mistyjo1
Stats: 226/185/140
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: march 31/1010
when you down load your recipes can they be put in files such as cookies, meats, cheesecakes, pies etc
mistyjo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:15 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbbw
Stats: 234/199/150
WOE: Low Carb <30
Start Date: 1977,2000,Apr,2010
I'm still on the fence re: E-readers, though if my eyesight gets any worse, I'm sure I'll convert. In the meantime, I just use my laptop. I just cart it into the kitchen and set it up on the island. Works so well, I can't imagine replacing it.
slbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:36 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ya know, I might just get a laptop for these reasons only. Think I will. Julie
Old 12-05-2010, 09:41 AM   #21
Gadget Gal

I have a very small laptop that I use strictly for banking purposes, but my counterspace is SO limited that using it for recipes wouldn't be practical for me.

It's a great little laptop though!

sibbw, I wasn't at ALL interested in an e-reader til cdilday MADE me be interested by her unique usage, which makes perfect sense to me, since I hate organizing my recipes binder but that makes it a major PAIN to find anything.

Yes, you can create categories on the Kindle at least, so I plan to do that for the recipes. AND you can search on any key word you want, so for example, if you put "artichokes" into the search, any recipe that contains that word will be found.

I'm really excited about this and I don't even HAVE one yet! LOL!

If you're interested in what the Kindle can do, go to Amazon, go to Help on the far right side of the screen, go to Kindle on the far LEFT side, and choose one of the models - it will walk you through the setup and usage of each one.

I can't speak to the other e-readers but surely they also have good instructions for those online as well.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 12-05-2010, 09:43 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Mistyjo asked, "when you down load your recipes can they be put in files such as cookies, meats, cheesecakes, pies etc." On mine, you can create "collections", and then you can pick which recipes go inside those collections. A recipe can also be in multiple collections at the same time even tho it is only physicially on the ereader once. So you can have a "Desserts" collection and a "Breakfast" collection and have the One-Minute-Muffin recipe appear in when you view either collection.

slbbw, I agree with you. If you have a solution that works for you, where is there any true advantage in getting something new! In my case, don't own a laptop. My daughter suggested I get one, but when I tried hers in the kitchen, I had to get the screen tilt adjusted just right and stand in the same position in order to read the screen. Perhaps it was just her model of laptop, but it also would have been more $$ for me and couldn't justify the benefits.

The "ink" on my ereader screen is just like looking at paper (except I can adjust the font sizes) and is very visible at all angles. There also isn't any glare from the bright overhead kitchen lighting.

For the purpose these were made and marketed, it seems to perform exceedingly well! And it isn't too often that my expectations are met and actually surpassed.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbbw
Stats: 234/199/150
WOE: Low Carb <30
Start Date: 1977,2000,Apr,2010
I'm not against the idea, but I have no reason to try it. My recipes are organized on the computer. And, all I do is hit Ctrl + if the font size is a problem. I even do that for this forum sometimes.. lol. Try it.
slbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:31 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
I am seriously considering getting this but I cannot decide between the kindle or the Nook...

I only have wi-fi around this area I live so I think I will just got with either of the wi-fi versions of this..

Can you all help me choose??
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:25 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I don't own one yet, but DH has a Kindle and loves it. Also, I just read a review, it might have been in Consumers Reports, and the Kindle got the top marks over all.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:25 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac24312 View Post
I am seriously considering getting this but I cannot decide between the kindle or the Nook...

I only have wi-fi around this area I live so I think I will just got with either of the wi-fi versions of this..

Can you all help me choose??
Certainly each has its own advantanges and capabilities and loyal followers.

I honestly wasn't leaning in any particular direction when I started shopping these. And if I was leaning, it was actually away from what I finally purchased (because of a non-related bad shipping issue I experienced). If I had to pick one thing that finally swayed me was listening to a 30-minute q&a interview between Jeff Bezos (Amazon CEO) and Charlie Rose. It was announcing the release of the Kindle as well as the marketing strategy of the company and actually complimented some of their competitors by name rather than bad-mouthing them. If interested, a google search of the names should pull it up.

On a side note related to shipping...they offered me a free month of Amazon Prime during check-out (which is a subscription service that gives you priority and free shipping on all orders for 1 year). You can accept the free offer but set the preferences so that it will NOT auto-bill you at the end of the trial month. I had my order on my doorstep in 2 days. I may be dunned to continue Prime at the end of this month, but I am good at saying "No, thanks".
Old 12-06-2010, 07:29 AM   #27
Gadget Gal

I just got notification by Amazon that my order has shipped, and even though I selected the "free shipping" option, they shipped it 3 Day UPS Select so I'll have it by Thursday!

The 3G is supposed to have worldwide coverage, which is why *I* selected the one I did (plus the big screen!) because I do NOT have WiFi in the house nor do I care to use it elsewhere if I can avoid it. But the 3G is supposed to be free of charge and accessible ANYWHERE. So don't let that scare you off one or the other of the choices, Mac!
Old 12-06-2010, 08:51 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbbw View Post
I'm not against the idea, but I have no reason to try it. My recipes are organized on the computer. And, all I do is hit Ctrl + if the font size is a problem. I even do that for this forum sometimes.. lol. Try it.
How do you get the recipes into the computer? There has to be mor than Ctrl+. I'm kind of computer illerterate. Thanks, Julie
Old 12-06-2010, 09:27 AM   #29
Gadget Gal

Ctrl+ enlarges the font size, Julie.

and Ctrl- will reduce it again!

To get them into the computer, you can copy and paste them into a Word document, Notepad, or whatever you use, name them, and there ya go - or you can type them out into something like Word or Notepad and then save them, if they're recipes from an old recipe file or something; or you could scan and save them if you have a scanner.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you Charski. Merry Christmas. Julie