Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 10:45 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: razberry
WOE: lower carb/low-glycemic w/portion control
Quinoa...Made my first batch last night

And it came out good, but I had to put a lot of fat in it (butter, cream, cheese) to make it taste good. I rinsed it first, then put 1 cup quinoa and 2 cups chicken broth, some garlic powder, chopped green onion, other seasonings. Didn't taste fantastic, then added in some cream and shredded cheese, and of course it tasted good then. Was wondering if anyone has any good recipes with less calories using quinoa, and how your blood sugar reacted to just the quinoa w/o all the cheese and cream (I know that lowered the glycemic index). I'd like to try it as a breakfast item with sweetner and cinnamon to get over my craving for oatmeal.
[img]3rd goal - get to Onederland by New Years Day!!
Make a lifestyle/eating change forever
Down 50 pounds after starting back July 5th
razberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Maybe you just needed to rinse it more? It has saponofins in it (an anti-nutrient that tastes soapy). I rinse and rinse and rinse ours, then I soak it. I haven't made any in a longggg time, though. And then I just make it like a pilaf and add a few pinenuts, shallots, garlic, salt, pepper, vermouth and olive oil - sometimes a bit of parmesan. For herbs I use anything from a toach of thyme and rosemary, to flat leaf parsley, or basil, and fresh oregano - sometimes tarragon. I also sometimes toss in a couple of finely minced sun dried tomatoes.

I've don't usually use it as a "rice type base" so much. It's usually a free-standing side. Char has the most experience with it I think, so maybe she will be round to help you!

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: EveH
Stats: 165/122/130----5'4"
WOE: Atkins..skipped induction
Start Date: Oct 2010
If you are craving oatmeal, try some flax seed meal with a few chopped up walnuts or pecans it it. Just add about a half cup water to one quarter cup meal and nuke for a about a minute depending on how thick you like it and your microwave. Add butter, cream and splenda to taste. It's not bad and you can change it up with unsweetened coconut, etc.

Last edited by EveH; 12-02-2010 at 02:32 PM..
EveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I rinsed the HECK out of it and then I make it. I would say I spend about 10 minutes at the sink rinsing and rinsing and rinsing!

Also, I have found the red quinoa has a very mild taste and needs less rinsing than the white quinoa.

I prefer the taste of the red now.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RubyJ
WOE: Protein Power
Ancient Harvest quinoa is organic and [B]pre-rinsed[B].
They have quinoa flakes that cook quickly and are good for a breakfast hot cereal.

Their website has recipes.
RubyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann Lytle
The Quinoa I buy is prewashed, I don't think I'd bother, if I had to spend 10 min. washing it. I like it with just butter and salt, I also put stew on top.............love it.................Ann
Ann Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:22 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I buy the bob's red mill and never need to rinse it. I use quinoa to make stuffed peppers, fried rice, soups & stews, any recipe that I would use rice which that has a lot of flavor. I can tolerate quinoa in small amounts without having a spike in my BS.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Lytle View Post
The Quinoa I buy is prewashed, I don't think I'd bother, if I had to spend 10 min. washing it. I like it with just butter and salt, I also put stew on top.............love it.................Ann
Mine is said to be "pre-washed" too but I still rinse it alot. I have tried to use it without rinsing it and it has a very strong, grassy taste to me. Not all of us like this strong taste.

The 10 minutes I spend rinsing this pre-washed Quinoa is worth every second to me to get the best taste I can out of this product.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks so much everyone. Sorry for my late reply. I tried it again rinsing and rinsing and then it came out so much better. I still used the garlic, lemon, butter, little grapeseed oil, green onion, sharp cheddar, and it was just amazing. I haven't tried it for breakfast yet, but I might since I'm not so crazy about flax or soy. I think this will be my new go-to "grain".

Gina: I'll look for Bob's Red Mill brand and try it for stuffed peppers! This I bought from the whole foods per-pound bin with the other "scoopable" grains, nuts, dried fruits, etc.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:52 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
Maybe you just needed to rinse it more? It has saponofins in it (an anti-nutrient that tastes soapy). I rinse and rinse and rinse ours, then I soak it. I haven't made any in a longggg time, though. And then I just make it like a pilaf and add a few pinenuts, shallots, garlic, salt, pepper, vermouth and olive oil - sometimes a bit of parmesan. For herbs I use anything from a toach of thyme and rosemary, to flat leaf parsley, or basil, and fresh oregano - sometimes tarragon. I also sometimes toss in a couple of finely minced sun dried tomatoes.

I've don't usually use it as a "rice type base" so much. It's usually a free-standing side. Char has the most experience with it I think, so maybe she will be round to help you!

I'll have to try it like this, sounds good!
Old 12-06-2010, 10:55 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

I found this recipe that sounds really good and lower glycemic.
Shrimp and Quinoa
Servings: 4
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 red onion, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
6 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed and
chopped 1/4 cup golden raisins
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
salt and pepper to taste
1 pound medium shrimp - peeled and
deveined
1 lime, juiced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
Directions:
1. In a large pot, bring the water to a boil, and stir in the quinoa. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside 10 minutes, or until all liquid has been absorbed.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, and saute the onion and green bell pepper until tender. Mix in the mushrooms, asparagus, raisins, and ginger, and continue cooking until asparagus is tender. Season with salt and pepper. Mix in the shrimp, and cook 5 minutes, or until opaque.
3. In a large bowl, mix the quinoa with the lime juice and remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Toss with the skillet mixture and parsley to serve. From Allrecipes.com
Old 12-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RubyJ
WOE: Protein Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
Mine is said to be "pre-washed" too but I still rinse it alot. I have tried to use it without rinsing it and it has a very strong, grassy taste to me. Not all of us like this strong taste.

The 10 minutes I spend rinsing this pre-washed Quinoa is worth every second to me to get the best taste I can out of this product.
beeb, what brand do you use? I never rinse the Ancient Harvest and use their flour and flakes also, and I've never had a strong taste.
Might just be a difference in tastebuds, though
RubyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJ View Post
beeb, what brand do you use? I never rinse the Ancient Harvest and use their flour and flakes also, and I've never had a strong taste.
Might just be a difference in tastebuds, though
This is the one I use, and I agree, just a difference in tastebuds!
Old 12-07-2010, 08:51 PM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: ginger57
Stats: A little too voluptuous
WOE: WW
Love it
ginger57 is offline   Reply With Quote