Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 06:04 AM   #1
skg
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skg
Stats: 220/169/140
WOE: Low carbing
Start Date: March 31, 2008
Favorite Muffin recipe?

I have a few LC muffin recipes but wondered what your favorites are. Going away the weekend and want to make a batch for breakfast Sat & Sun.

Thanks
skg is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2010, 06:55 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
These are my favorite muffins. I usually add blueberries and pecans.

Almond Flour Muffins

3 cups of almond flour
1-teaspoon baking soda
1-teaspoon baking powder
1/4-teaspoon salt
1 cup Splenda
1/2 cup of yogurt (can sub sour cream + 1 tsp. vinegar if you don’t have yogurt)
3 eggs
1-tablespoon vanilla

1/4 cup melted butter (if necessary)

Fruit or nuts of choice

Mix ingredients together, if batter is too thick add butter as needed to thin to muffin consistency. Add nuts or fruit if desired.

Put batter in paper lined muffin tins and bake 325° for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in muffin comes out clean.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:42 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
Mine right now are Jens Pumpking muffings, I just made another batch.. so good..
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:38 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gvmema
WOE: Atkins
Where can I find Jen's Pumpking muffings? They sound interesting!
gvmema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
Start Date: January 31, 2003
My favorite is this recipe from Linda Sue's website. It's called 3-minute vanilla cake, but it only cooks for 1 1/2 minutes and really is more of the texture of a muffin. I also like it that one batch made in a 2-cup measuring cup in the microwave makes enough for two servings.

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
sligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:53 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
PUMPKIN MUFFINS
These are excellent – as good as any high-carb muffin.

2 eggs, slightly beaten
3/4 cup SPLENDA® Granular (175 mL)
3/4 cup granulated erythritol (175 mL)
1/3 cup olive oil (75 mL)
1 cup canned pumpkin (250 mL)
2 1/4 cups Low-Carb Bake Mix (550 mL)
1 tbsp cinnamon (15 mL)
1/2 tsp ground ginger (2 mL)
1/2 tsp nutmeg (2 mL)
1 tsp baking soda (5 mL)
1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
1/2 cup raisins (125 mL)
1/2 cup walnuts (125 mL)
Cream Cheese Frosting (optional):
4 oz light cream cheese (125 g)
2 tbsp powdered erythritol (25 mL)
2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened (25 mL)
1 tbsp whipping cream,
OR Da Vinci® Sugar Free Gingerbread Syrup (25 mL)

In food processor, combine eggs, SPLENDA® Granular, erythritol, olive oil and pumpkin. Process really well to help dissolve erythritol (it won’t dissolve completely). In medium bowl, combine Low-Carb Bake Mix, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, baking soda and salt. Add to pumpkin mixture; process until combined. Stir in raisins and walnuts. Spoon the batter into greased muffin pans. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 300°F (150°C), cover muffins lightly with foil and bake another 5 minutes, or until a knife inserted in muffins comes out clean. Frost with Cream cheese frosting, if desired.

Cream Cheese Frosting: In food processor, process cream cheese, powdered erythritol, unsalted butter and whipping cream or Da Vinci® Sugar Free Gingerbread Syrup until smooth.

Yield: 16 muffins
1 muffin/without raisins
168.5/153.2 calories
8.1/8.0 g protein
11.8/11.8 g fat
7.9/4.1 g carbs

this is Jen Eloffs Recipe, not mine

Last edited by Brendajm; 11-30-2010 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: put in author of recipe
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojave
Thanks, Chicken Lady. I have been looking for a simple muffin recipe that doesn't have flax in it. This one sounds perfect.
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:59 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojave View Post
Thanks, Chicken Lady. I have been looking for a simple muffin recipe that doesn't have flax in it. This one sounds perfect.
Your welcome...hope you enjoy them as much as we do.
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:51 AM   #9

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I think flax is the whole point of muffins!!! It's one of the healthiest things we can eat and makes wonderful muffins.

This is the long form of my everyday muffin recipe. I have included the detailed notes in case people want to know about the nutrition, but it's really a simple recipe. I get them mixed in about 3-4 min every morning, half asleep.

ravenrose's flax muffins
scoop out into a medium sized microwave safe bowl. melt it in the microwave on high for one minute.

measure on top of the CO, in this order,

mix all these into the CO a bit and add
  • 1/4 cup Torani or DaVinci sugar free syrup
  • 4 drops EZSweetz or other sweetener equal to 2-3 tablespoons of sugar)
  • 2 eggs
stir well until well blended and you see no streaks of eggwhite. add
  • 3 ounces grated zucchini or other summer squash
  • 1/2 ounce toasted nuts, optional
mix thoroughly and pour into the six muffin cups of a silicone muffin pan.

put it immediately into the microwave and heat on high for seven minutes.

remove and flip the muffins out of the muffin pan onto the counter or cutting board. feel the bottoms of the muffins. if they are too moist, put them upside down on a microwave safe plate, and heat them another 30 seconds. you want them done, but not drying out around the top edges.

Nutrition for plain muffins
makes 6 muffins, each, using large eggs

with almonds
110 calories
7.65 gr protein
.84 gr net carb
2.8 gr fiber

without nuts
96 calories
7.14 gr protein
.67 gr net carb
2.5 gr fiber

meanwhile, make frosting if you are going to, and frost the muffins.

if your variation uses nuts, you have the choice of mixing them into the batter or putting them on top. If you want to see them on top, bake the muffins for one minute in the microwave before putting the nuts on, otherwise they sink in.

NOTES:

flavors. I use pecans, walnuts, sliced almonds, slivered almonds, or chopped macadamia nuts, when I use nuts.

I combine DaVinci or Torani syrup and various extracts and flavorings to get many different varieties. I like
  • almond, with poppyseeds or slivered almonds
  • banana, sometimes with caramel syrup, and walnuts
  • german chocolate cake, with shredded unsweetened coconut
  • chocolate raspberry, with cocoa powder and raspberry syrup
  • cookie dough or chocolate chip cookie dough with chocolate chips and/or walnuts
  • mango, sometimes with caramel
  • pineapple
  • huckleberry (tastes a lot like boysenberry)
  • blueberry
  • pumpkin pie, with about 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • butterscotch with pecans (any caramel type flavor is good--it seems like there are a dozen or more, from english toffee to dulce de leche)
  • lemon with poppyseeds (using Lorann Bakery Emulsion or an extract)
  • orange with almonds (using Lorann Bakery Emulsion or an extract)
  • rum with walnuts(using Lorann Bakery Emulsion or an extract)
  • Princess Cake and Cookie Lorann Bakery Emulsion with walnuts
  • Caramel with walnuts
  • Gingerbread with more ginger and sliced almonds
  • Toasted Marshmallow with chocolate chi
for chocolate flavors, add about 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa or 1 ounce melted unsweetened baking chocolate. use vanilla extract with chocolate.

if you are using chocolate or extracts instead of the sugar free syrup, add another 9 drops of EZSweetz.

other additions can include sugar free chocolate chips or cacao nibs, stirred in like nuts.

virgin coconut oil. I'm sure you've seen all the discussion here on how healthy the medium chain fatty acids in coconut oil are. supposed to help cholesterol levels. The coconut flavor is mild in this recipe and can be used with any other flavoring combo. substitute butter or canola oil, if desired.

flax meal. Some people prefer the golden flax meal, and it does make a finer crumb, but I find it not as helpful with regularity as the regular flax meal. it's also twice as expensive, which counts for me since I use a lot of it. keep the flax refrigerated; it really does go rancid quickly once the bag is opened, and rancid is really bad for you.

whey protein isolate. this can be left out, but it really improves the protein value of the muffins and there is evidence that getting about a third of your daily protein requirement at breakfast starts many processes in your body off right for the day. It also improves the muffin texture. Either unflavored or flavored work equally well.

oat fiber. Available on Netrition, zero carb/zero calorie. adds fiber and bulk to the muffins while improving the flax meal texture.

eggs. this is a forgiving recipe and a little more or less egg won't matter dramatically, so use whatever size you have. I often use two jumbos.

zucchini. Does that sound strange here? Same principle as carrot cake, you don't really taste it. Of course you can make muffins without squash, but it does add volume and keeps them moist without a lot of added fat. I normally use yellow summer squash, because the skin blends into the muffin color better. If your eaters are picky, peel it to hide the green or yellow skins, but otherwise peeling is not necessary. I grate the squash in the food processor when I have the machine out for something else. In a container in the refrigerator, I find the grated squash lasts 4 days easily. If you are only doing it for one day's batch, grating by hand is probably easier than washing the food processor. Use the medium grating blade in the food processor (standard) or the coarse part of the hand grater. Grating it fine just makes it too watery.

silicone muffin pan. These are great! The muffins pop right out. Flax tends to stick otherwise. Mine doesn't get too hot so no hotpads are needed. Plus very easy to wash.

nuts. Best to toast them first. Spread them on a microwave safe plate and cook them on high. Check OFTEN so they don't burn; it doesn't take long.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #10
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
THIS ONE!! I make them larger, getting only 6 from this recipe, and they are BIG AND YUMMY!!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...gredients.html
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:12 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Chicken Lady, where have you been. We sure have missed you and your recipes. Now, stay put.
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:50 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SmileySue
Stats: 332/125, size 2 Maintaining since 3/08!!
WOE: Low carb and clean eating/whole foods
Start Date: 9/05
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTSDALEJULIE View Post
Chicken Lady, where have you been. We sure have missed you and your recipes. Now, stay put.

ITA!!
SmileySue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:05 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTSDALEJULIE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileySue View Post
ITA!!
That's really sweet of you guys!!!

I don't get on the computer much and for the last few months we have been having some problems with a fox eating my chickens. We have been bringing the chickens into the yard during the day so we can keep an eye on them and taking turns sitting guard duty so that took up my computer time. But that darn fox kept slipping in and getting chickens. I swear the thing was sitting out in the brush watching us and as soon as whoever was doing the guarding went into the house the dang thing would run out grab a chicken and be gone in a flash.

We had been making the dogs stay in the house hoping that we could get a shot at it but we never did. We gave up on that and are having the dogs on watch now and that fox is a whole lot more afraid of the dogs than it is of us. Since the dogs have been watching we haven't lost any more chickens. Having the dogs on watch frees up my time too so I get to play on the computer more.

I guess you live and learn, it takes us city folks a little while to catch onto how things work in the country.
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:45 AM   #14
skg
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skg
Stats: 220/169/140
WOE: Low carbing
Start Date: March 31, 2008
Thanks everyone, not sure which one I am going to make but need to decide quickly since I will make them tonight after work.
skg is offline   Reply With Quote