Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Low Carb Dried Cranberries

This is a recipe from Kevin...I tried it and it works very well.
I used them in cakes and also saved them to pop into salads and other things.
You just need to make more of them

Low Carb Dried Cranberries
I was looking at an old HC recipe the other day that called for dried sweetened cranberries so when I went to the store I picked up a package to read the label. I guess I was not real surprised but it was still a bit of sticker shock to find that they were almost 100 carbs per cup.
Anyway, last night while I was watching a movie I decided to try my hand at making some of these myself.

1 cup raw cranberries
1/4 cup sf Monin Blackberry syrup
1 T. DiabetiSweet

Cut cranberries into 1/4 to 1/8 depending on size.
In a small bowl, soak cranberries in syrup until the cranberries absorb most of the liquid.
Transfer soaked cranberries and spread out onto a non-stick foil lined cookie pan.
Sprinkle the top of the cranberries with the DiabetiSweet.
Bake in a preheated 250 degree oven for about 2 hours or until the cranberries are dry and chewy and tacky to the touch (the texture of moist raisins) but will not stick to the foil.
Let cool completely and store in a air tight jar in the fridge until ready to use.

These are 8 carbs for the 1-cup of the cranberries plus the couple carbs for the DiabetiSweet but wow, what a carb bargain (saving approx 90 carbs) over the store bought ones.

They are quite easy to make and since they are bake at the low temperature do not need to be watched real closely.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Thanks Barbo! I've really been thinking about these with all the cranberries around! Where do you get the SF Monin Blackberry Syrup?

Thanks for a great reminder! We love these in salads!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pendragginp
Yes, these are very good. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving, Kevin!
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
the condiment queen

Yes, Happy Thanksgiving Kevin. Sure hope you are healthy and happy!!!
Old 11-24-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Kevins' Recipe Pooti

I got it from Netrition. Kevin told us how good that brand and
that particular flavor is and he is right. I am going to pour
it in with my cranberries after they pop. What a good idea
Carolyn has.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pendragginp
I bought the blackerry Monin just for this recipe last year, and he's right, it's awesome.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
I used Davinci Raspberry and it is good with cranberries. I was lazy and used the grinder to chop up the berries.
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
I almost always have these on hand. When I make them, I just cut the cranberries in half, rather than in 4ths or 8ths. Also, I don't use the DiabetiSweet, just the blackberry syrup. The Monin Blackberry Syrup is really good.
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I made these last night, too. I did one batch just as Kevin directed, cutting them into pieces, and another using whole cranberries. They were equally good.

For whole cranberries, plunge them into boiling water until they pop, then cool, soak in the Monin Blackberry syrup and dry in the oven. I started them at 350, then turned the oven to 250. They weren't quite done after 2 hours, so I turned off the oven and went to bed. I turned it back on for an hour this morning and they are just right! I think maybe it's easier to do the whole ones, but I'm just lazy...
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:45 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Will have to try this next time!
Old 11-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/137.7/125; 5'1"
WOE: HCG Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 07/2014
This is like over a year late, but I made these and tweaked it a bit. Since I didn't have Monin, but I did have a bottle of pure cranberry juice extract, no sugar or water added, I used that to soak the berries. I had Diabetisweet, but I mixed it in with the cranberry juice since it wasn't sweetened. I can't remember how much DBSweet I used since it was long ago, but I'm about to try to repeat the tweaks. They came out chewy and nice and tart, but not overly sweet. I gave some to my BF's Father who is diabetic, but I think BF's Mom ended up enjoying them more.

It was nice to have sweetened cranberries to add to salads and dishes or just to snack on with some chocolate bits. They go great with homemade chocolate bark or if you still have some, the EWBW splenda Chocolate chips. I've used them in a seed and nut bar that I got from Laurens website too. So yummy. Thanks for the recipe. I can have cranberries and not feel guilty ( or sick to my teeth) for eating them.

ETA: Oh yeah, I soaked them like overnight or a couple of days. and not all the juice absorbed so I was able to do a second batch without making much more syrup.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 11-27-2010 at 10:45 AM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:01 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Gonna make a large batch of these, and save them for salads all through the year. Thanks Barbo. Iwish we know where Kevin is. And also Chicken Lady. Julie
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #13

I'm making dried cranberries again. I'm able to reuse the juice cause not all of it absorbs. these littel berries are like little styrofoam balls.

I dried them for 2 hours but they were still to soft, mushy and sticky, so I let them go till they were already dry and they are crispy crunchy! Yummy. I even put some in some cocoa bark candies and they crisp when I chew it. I like it dry like this so I'll do 3-4 hours from now on. Plus they don't stick as much as they did last time since they are drier.

Since I cut them in half, the seeds kept falling out, I now have a bunch of cranberry seeds, I might try to germinate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dec12_0004.jpg (36.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 12-13-2010, 04:31 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
I made these last night, too. I did one batch just as Kevin directed, cutting them into pieces, and another using whole cranberries. They were equally good.

For whole cranberries, plunge them into boiling water until they pop, then cool, soak in the Monin Blackberry syrup and dry in the oven. I started them at 350, then turned the oven to 250. They weren't quite done after 2 hours, so I turned off the oven and went to bed. I turned it back on for an hour this morning and they are just right! I think maybe it's easier to do the whole ones, but I'm just lazy...
Thanks Diana, I was wondering if you could do them whole, and if so how to go about it. I know I'm too lazy to cut all of those cranberries in even halves! I've wanted to do the dried cranberries, but sure didn't want to do all that cutting.
May give these a try, but don't have Monin. I'll try it with vanilla DaVinci, and use a dehydrator to dry them.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
So far I have done about 10 bags of cranberries, and I have 5 bags of fresh cranberries in the freezer to do later. My favorite method is to "boil-pop" the whole cranberries (takes only seconds, don't let them cook!) Then soak for a couple of hours in syrup. My favorite syrups are the fruit-flavored ones, sugar free raspberry and blackberry from Monin. Then I dry in a 250 oven for a couple of hours. They cook a little unevenly, so I start checking after an hour or so and remove done ones. I like to leave them a bit on the soft side, so I freeze or refrigerate them in baggies. Each 1 lb bag of cranberries makes about a cup of dried.

Why have I done 10 pounds of cranberries? My sugar-lovin' dh keeps gobbling them up! leftover syrup? Try squeezing a half of a lemon into a glass, pour about a fourth of a cup of the soaking syrup in, fill with ice and water, and you have a gorgeous and delicious drink!
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
So far I have done about 10 bags of cranberries, and I have 5 bags of fresh cranberries in the freezer to do later. My favorite method is to "boil-pop" the whole cranberries (takes only seconds, don't let them cook!) Then soak for a couple of hours in syrup. My favorite syrups are the fruit-flavored ones, sugar free raspberry and blackberry from Monin. Then I dry in a 250 oven for a couple of hours. They cook a little unevenly, so I start checking after an hour or so and remove done ones. I like to leave them a bit on the soft side, so I freeze or refrigerate them in baggies. Each 1 lb bag of cranberries makes about a cup of dried.

Why have I done 10 pounds of cranberries? My sugar-lovin' dh keeps gobbling them up! leftover syrup? Try squeezing a half of a lemon into a glass, pour about a fourth of a cup of the soaking syrup in, fill with ice and water, and you have a gorgeous and delicious drink!
I'm buying cranberries to freeze, also. At Walmart last time I was there they were 97 cents a bag...time to load up!

I always just drink the leftover syrup...never thought of making a "cocktail" out of it!
Old 01-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I have been doing this 'cause they are so cheap right now.:rofl

I just use Da Vinci syrups and they are great.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
I have been doing this 'cause they are so cheap right now.:rofl

I just use Da Vinci syrups and they are great.
Can't do it later because cranberries can't be found anywhere...at least not around here! I sometimes wonder why one can't buy them frozen when they're out of season.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wishin
Thanks - this is great. I use the Monin sf black raspberry syrup sometimes in my ice tea so I already have it and my daughter just bought a bag of cranberries that we didn't know what to do with. I will give this a try.
Wishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlc View Post
Can't do it later because cranberries can't be found anywhere...at least not around here! I sometimes wonder why one can't buy them frozen when they're out of season.
Shirlc, if you have Whole Foods near, you might inquire of them; the one in my town informed me over the phone that they are now carrying plain frozen cranberries now, year round (a different brand than the fresh they carry in season). I haven't actually seen it with my own eyes yet, and other Whole Foods may not be doing it, but I will be buying some soon.
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:10 PM   #21

I can never find cranberries, not even frozen ones out of season. it's like once thanksgiving is over they disappear for the year. So i bought a bunch of bags to dry. It would be nice to find them out of season.

I made them again and BF's mom prefered them dried completly, non- chewy, non sticky, but actually crunchy dried. I like them that way too. It takes longer and I have to leave the oven door open to let the extra moisuture out so it dries completley, but they don't stick in the jar I store them in either.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #22
the condiment queen

I went to find more this weekend too. No such luck here. I love the cranberry juice that Char taught us about. I did'nt end up getting the blackberry syrup in time to dry my own but look out for this holiday season!!!!!!
Old 01-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm sorry nobody can still get them. WE can up here in Great Northwest. 97 cents a bag. I got 10 more today.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
I'm sorry nobody can still get them. WE can up here in Great Northwest. 97 cents a bag. I got 10 more today.
Jealous! I paid $2.50 for them, ON SALE! !
Old 01-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grace
I have a question for those of you who have done these. I did the whole berry method and some popped and mushed and some stayed relatively whole. After baking/drying for 4 hours some of them are lovely and chewy, some are a bit crunchy but some are still kinda' gooey. Maybe this is why some cut them in half or quarters so they all cook evenly? I'll continue to cook the kinda' gooey ones but what about the soft chewy ones. They most resemble the commercial ones. Will they mold? Do you need to store these in the refrigerator since they don't have any kind of preservative on them? Or do they all need to be really dry and crispy?
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I made these a few times. I did cut them in half. Sometimes they were wetter, sometimes drier. I put them in the fridge, and as far as I know they last for months. At least mine did, with no loss of flavor.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Jealous! I paid $2.50 for them, ON SALE! !
That's the way it is here!!! Or at least when I've been in the stores. I've never seen them even as low as $1 here!!! And the bags are now only 12 oz instead of 1 #. (Maybe they have always been, but I thought they used to be 1#.) Like so many things the quantities are getting smaller, and price either same or higher.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
I made these a few times. I did cut them in half. Sometimes they were wetter, sometimes drier. I put them in the fridge, and as far as I know they last for months. At least mine did, with no loss of flavor.
I cut mine in half as well and they last for a long time in the fridge.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I bought 10 bags at Walmart today for 98 cents a bag!
Old 01-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

:c lap::high5 :

All right Shirl I'm so glad you got some.

I just made the chicken broccolli bake and put a layer of these in there. O MY YUMMY!!!!!! It is so good.