Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2010, 09:16 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amway
Stats: 240/185.5/145
WOE: R1 Hcg
Start Date: 10/22/10
what are your fave cook books?

I'm on amazon searching through low carb cook books and I know I've read about dana carpenter around here. I like simple meals, 5-10 ingredients that most lc folks have on hand.. stuff to whip together that tastes yummy, kwim? n othing supa dupa fancy. what do you suggest?
amway is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2010, 06:16 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Most of my 15 LC cookbooks sit on the shelf now that I found LCF!!! And learned how to use the search function.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amway
Stats: 240/185.5/145
WOE: R1 Hcg
Start Date: 10/22/10
okay that's good to hear too! thank you! so all i need is right at my fingertips???
amway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:01 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
Just an opinion, but if you are a seasoned cook, then you can find what you need here. Realize, though that many of the recipes here are not rigorously tested (though there are some, like Kevin PA that you can count on).

On the other hand, Dana's cookbooks (and others) have been tested repeatedly and I think the recipes are more reliable. (Lots of wiggle room there, though).

In summary, if you are comfortable in the kitchen, you may do just fine using recipes here. But if you are a novice cook, you might need a more reliable resource. Although I am quite comfortable in the kitchen, I do find Dana's books to be of assistance when I want to get a feel for "what is a good method for achieving X result."
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:02 AM   #5
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
If you're interested in really great baked goods, I'd go with ALL of Jennifer Eloff's books! She has spent HOURS perfecting her recipes, and she is kind enough to share a lot of them right here with us too. I can't wait for her new cookbook to come out!

I also like Dana Carpender's and Sharron Long's books. Even though I've been cooking all my life, AND there are great recipes on here, it's really nice to just sit down with a good cookbook and thumb through it - I get so many good ideas that way.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
I agree with Char. I love Jennifer Elloff's Books and also Dana Carpender. Those are the one that I like the best and use the most. Julie
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:34 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
TO SERVE MAN

It doesn't get more low carb than that!!! I had a copy translated into Ferenghi for me by the Cannamit author himself. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:55 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
When I see these posts about cookbooks, I always recommend going to your library first. I have gotten so many cookbooks from there and been able to test them out before buying. Some of them have been great and I wanted to have them for myself. Others, well let's just say I am grateful the library had them just because I didn't quite like them!!! That being said, I like (and have) lots of them some being Dana Carpender's and I actually have one of Sharron Long's. But the one I found of Sharron's uses a lot of soy flour and soy products...not too crazy about it. The reason I got it--it was $1 on clearance at the book store.

The best thing....print out what you like here and start your own low carb cookbook. I have done that and have 3 huge binders chock full of recipes from these boards.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:18 PM   #9
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
My favorite isn't low carb, it's How to cook everything.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote