Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2011, 12:28 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nikki2777
Sounds great, especially the jam.

Nikki
Nikki2777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Bumping this back up, cause it is cranberry season again.

I just found 12oz bags of fresh cranberries on sale at my WalMart today for 75˘ a bag. That was half of the reg price! I don't find those kinds of buys on cranberries here often. Not sure if I have ever seen them that cheap before. I bought 10 bags.
I had 2 bags already in the freezer (from last year I think). I had pulled one out yesterday to try to make Vanessa120's dried cranberries, but had ended up making jam. (Not using this recipe I have here.)
Today I put 8 bags in the freezer & left 2 out.
I made a batch of the dried cranberries up (I hope). They are in the dehydrator now. We'll see what I get. Then I made the juice above, and with the berries made another batch of jam.
I got 3 - 1/2 pints from the first batch. The second batch I'm not exactly sure, but close to the same. Maybe just a tad over. I had a jar that was abut 1 1/2 cups (saved from something), and I used that for the first "pour. It looked like it might be a little more than a cup (the 1/2 pint), so I used a 1 1/2 cup jelly jar that I had, and it didn't quite fill it. May be only 1 cup, and I may have been able to use a 1/2 pint, but I left it in that jar. They are cooling now. Hope they seal!

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:59 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
What a great post! I just made dried cranberries yesterday from 2 frozen bags I had stashed away last year. I dumped the frozen berries in a pot, poured some blackberry Monin O'free syrup on them, added 2 drops of raspberry lor-ann flavoring, about a third of a cup of erythritol and 2 drops of sweetzfree. Heated the whole thing up til it was boiling and the cranberries just started to pop.

Drained the cranberries, spread them out on a baking sheet, and dried in the oven at 250 for a couple of hours. I've learned that I like the cranberries a wee little bit on the wet side than too dry and leathery. Yum!

The resultant syrup I drained off was very sweet and tasty. I usually put a tablespoon or two in a glass full of lemon water and ice and have a drink fit for the gods. Otherwise this syrup is ideal for pancakes, drizzling over lemon cake, as a cheesecake glaze, etc.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:02 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Just had an idea! I am going to make the cranberry jam, using my cranberry-syrup mixture, add a little bit of finely minced fresh cayenne pepper to it and cook it a little. I always loved that sweet-hot pepper jelly on good goat cheese. I bet this would be spectacular! Now I've got to make some crackers, too...
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote