Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Conversion table.... ingredients (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/696287-conversion-table-ingredients.html)

catkan 10-25-2010 08:01 AM

Conversion table.... ingredients

My daughter is doing a project for a college course. She is needing a conversion table for substituting ingredients to make the recipe low carb. Do you know where I can find one?

sistertzu 10-25-2010 08:40 AM

What a great idea, sorry I can't help you but it there is one that would be great.

Charski 10-25-2010 09:01 AM

Yeah, I'd like one of those too! :)

LindaSue has a conversion table for sweeteners on her website (google LindaSue recipes if you don't know her site) but for flour substitutes, it so much depends on what the final product is supposed to be like, that there isn't really a "straight across" substitution.

Jen Eloff has some great bake mixes, you can google Jennifer Eloff Blog to find her recipes, and she has shared a lot of them here as well.

KevinPA has some bake mixes/bread mixes too.

You really can't just straight-across sub most flours though - a combination works better and it's not always the same combo!

THAT was helpful, huh?? :hugs:

catkan 10-25-2010 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sistertzu (Post 14026451)
What a great idea, sorry I can't help you but it there is one that would be great.

It would be great. Thank you for replying.

catkan 10-25-2010 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 14026539)
Yeah, I'd like one of those too! :)

LindaSue has a conversion table for sweeteners on her website (google LindaSue recipes if you don't know her site) but for flour substitutes, it so much depends on what the final product is supposed to be like, that there isn't really a "straight across" substitution.

Jen Eloff has some great bake mixes, you can google Jennifer Eloff Blog to find her recipes, and she has shared a lot of them here as well.

KevinPA has some bake mixes/bread mixes too.

You really can't just straight-across sub most flours though - a combination works better and it's not always the same combo!

THAT was helpful, huh?? :hugs:

That was helpful, it tells me there isn't one!

Love LindaSue's site use many of the recipes there. Kevin too. I miss him coming up with all those recipes. I have them in my recipe binder. His desserts are good eats!

Have all of Jenn Eloff's books, I might see if my daughter can use some of that info.

I am going to find my book that Dana C wrote how I lost 40 pounds. See if I can find something in there.

Thank you Charski!

ravenrose 10-25-2010 10:39 AM

Converting recipes is an art, not a science. Any table like that would hurt more than help, unless the person using it was a very knowledgeable cook who just took the entries as ideas to consider. And in that case it probably wouldn't be needed.

catkan 10-25-2010 10:58 AM

oops.. took the link out as the site sell things.... but it was a substitution table for spices, unsweetened chocolate, ketchup, herbs, lemon juice, red pepper sauce, etc.

I think she is going to use this table, cut out the stuff we wouldn't use and add some things like using cauliflower for potatoes etc.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Charski 10-25-2010 12:33 PM

I'm glad you found something your daughter could use, Misty! :)

Maybe use the 1/2 parm cheese/1/2 crushed pork rinds for breading too?

I thought you wanted more along the lines of baking substitutions, but boy there are LOTS of others too, aren't there? Like the yummy scalloped turnips recipe - turnips in place of the high-carb potatoes.

Using jicama slices or cucumber slices in place of crackers, or making crackers from shredded cheese, melted in the oven til crispy.

Is any of that kind of stuff useful? Cuz if it is I can prolly think of a few more for you gals! And I bet others will chime in too.

catkan 10-25-2010 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 14027269)
I'm glad you found something your daughter could use, Misty! :)

Maybe use the 1/2 parm cheese/1/2 crushed pork rinds for breading too?

I thought you wanted more along the lines of baking substitutions, but boy there are LOTS of others too, aren't there? Like the yummy scalloped turnips recipe - turnips in place of the high-carb potatoes.

Using jicama slices or cucumber slices in place of crackers, or making crackers from shredded cheese, melted in the oven til crispy.

Is any of that kind of stuff useful? Cuz if it is I can prolly think of a few more for you gals! And I bet others will chime in too.

That is exactly the kind of stuff I am talking about! Thanks Charski!!

Charski 10-25-2010 01:38 PM

OK, well a few more immediately come to mind then - chayote squash makes a dandy apple substitute, and I've also used zucchini in a mock apple crisp.

Heavy cream is a good substitute for canned milk, and is also just dandy for helping to thicken up sauces and gravies. Just simmer it down til it's the consistency you want.

Guar and xanthan gums can also be used to thicken things, but one has to be pretty careful not to use too much or the resulting consistency is a slimy nasty thing!

Raw wheat bran can be used in place of flour in the bottom of a low-carbed cake pan - it helps the finished product to release - but it's best used for things like carrot cake or other dense moist varieties where a bit of wheat bran clinging to the cake isn't a distraction. Spray the pan first with Pam, add a tablespoon or so of raw wheat bran, shake/tap it to distribute evenly, then tap out the excess.

Likewise, cocoa powder can be used to lightly dust the bottom of a pan for chocolate cakes.

Which BTW, the black bean brownies/cake recipe is pretty amazing, you can make a really delicious cake using a can of black beans instead of any type of flour!

You can make a roux using Carbquik or quinoa flour.

You can make a nice tempura-style batter using 2 cups of Carbquik and a 12 ounce LC beer. Mix together and let stand about 10 minutes. Shake your choice of items to fry in a little Carbquik (helps batter adhere) and then into the batter. Onion rings are really good this way, other veggies probably are too, and shrimp!

Lower the temp of the oil a bit as CQ tends to turn dark more quickly than regular flour. I usually fry about 325* to 330* instead of 350* or more.

You might also take a look at Lauren's blog (healthy indulgences) - she has a ton of recipes which use some rather innovative methods to achieve a high-carb end result using low-carb products.

If I think up more I'll let you know!

drjlocarb 10-25-2010 01:45 PM

I use zucchini instead of apples for pie and crisps.

Pam 10-25-2010 03:49 PM

Charski, I appreciate you soooooo MUCH! Whenever anyone has a ?....you're right on it with solutions. You and Carolyn...and others, are my heros. Thank you! :hugs:

Charski 10-25-2010 03:51 PM

:blush:

Aw shucks! :blush:

Thank you. I have gotten SO many good hints, tips, and help here over the years that it's nice to be able to contribute help to others when they need it!

I love this place. :heart: