Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Creamy Chicken Divan Soup (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/695200-creamy-chicken-divan-soup.html)

Linny 10-15-2010 03:22 PM

Creamy Chicken Divan Soup

I saw this recipe in the newest edition of Southern Living.......going to make it soon!

Creamy Chicken Divan Soup

2 tablespoons butter
1 medium-size sweet onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
1 (48-oz.) container chicken broth
2 (12-oz.) packages fresh broccoli florets (about 12 cups)
1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, cut into cubes
4 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 (8-oz.) block sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
Salt and pepper to taste
Toasted slivered almonds (optional)

1. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add onion, and sauté 5 to 6 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and red pepper, and cook 2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth and broccoli. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium, and cook 10 to 15 minutes or until broccoli is tender. Stir in cream cheese.

2. Process mixture with a handheld blender until smooth. Add chicken and shredded cheese. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately with almonds, if desired.

Note: If you don't have a handheld immersion blender, let mixture cool slightly; process mixture, in batches, in a regular blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides as needed. Return mixture to Dutch oven, and proceed as directed.

Southern Living, OCTOBER 2010

Charski 10-15-2010 03:24 PM

Oh man does THAT sound good! Thanks!

sistertzu 10-15-2010 03:27 PM

Thanks for the recipe! Such a good idea.

judytab 10-15-2010 10:20 PM

I was just reading it today and thought it sounded good and low carb - sort of broccoli cheese soup with chicken. I'm anxious to make it also.

fourstubbs 10-15-2010 11:36 PM

Thank for posting this..it sounds really good. I think I will make if for dinner this weekend...just need some chicken. :)

PalmTreeGal 10-15-2010 11:37 PM

Did it say how many servings this makes? Looks divine!

Brendajm 10-16-2010 07:36 AM

This does sound good. I too wondered how many servings.. That is alot of cheese,,I might try only half of the cheddar. Broccoli messes up my tummy and noone likes me after I eat it,,, wonder what I could use instead?? or maybe use only half of that.. thanks for posting..

Linny 10-16-2010 08:48 AM

I believe it said 12 servings but you know all recipes can be changed up a bit so they reflect what eating plan we follow. If any of you make this and make changes, please let me know how it works out :)

Linny 10-29-2010 01:43 PM

Wanted to report back that I made this last night.....It turned out really good but there was just too much broth and not enough meat so next time I am going to reduce the amount of broth and/or add more chicken.

I had a bowl of leftovers today and added diced crispy bacon, garlic powder and more shredded cheese and it was excellent with the bacon addition.

1annewil 10-30-2010 10:22 AM

I tore this out of my SL last week and plan to make it soon. Good to know to decrease the broth. Thanks.

Linny 10-31-2010 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1annewil (Post 14042305)
I tore this out of my SL last week and plan to make it soon. Good to know to decrease the broth. Thanks.

Only if you like it thick like a chowder......made per recipe directions, the consistency was between a brothy soup and a chowder. Adding bacon to each bowl is also very good. Going to make a note in my recipe to do that from now on.

Hope you like the soup!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...ood2/007-5.jpg

SweetPoison2 10-31-2010 05:12 AM

I am making chicken soup today and this looks great! Minus the broccli. I as soon spoon out my eyes.

SweetPoison2 11-05-2010 10:11 AM

Now. I am making this right now! Honest.

SweetPoison2 11-05-2010 10:50 AM

OMG. This is great! I love it! Thanks so much!