Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Kimchee

This is the BEST Kimchee I have ever tasted!!:

Kimchee

1 head Napa cabbage, approx. 1 lb.
1 whole scallion, finely sliced
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. peeled, minced ginger
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp mirin (this is a sugar based Rice Wine that has 7 carbs per tbsp so a good sub for LC would be plain white wine with a little sweetener mixed in it, or just a little water and sweetener)

Rinse the cabbage and remove bruised or discolored outer leaves. Quarter the cabbage lengthwise and remove the core, then slice it crosswise into 1/4 inch strips.
Toss the cabbage with scallions and seal salt in a medium mixing bowl. Knead and press with your hands to work in the salt.
Add remaining ingredients. Mix well and allow to rest for at least 10 to 15 minutes before serving.

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 10-13-2010 at 04:03 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
Wow, thanks for the recipe. I have a head of cabbage in the fridge I want to make this right now!
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Hi Beeb, sorry to sound like a stickler here...but what that is darn great sounding recipe for Asian slaw! Kimchee is this kind of recipe but fermented for days or weeks or months. The fermentation process would eat that 7g of carbs from the Mirin in a heart beat and it may even be a bit necessary to feed the culture (beasties that eat the sugar and ferment the veg).

I may have to try the recipe though cuz it sure sounds good! Thanks for the recipe!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbbw
Stats: 234/199/150
WOE: Low Carb <30
Start Date: 1977,2000,Apr,2010
I visited South Korea once. I have two food-related memories.

1. Chili paste.. in everything, even at McDonalds.

2. Every house, apartment, or any sort of domicile that had a front door had a clay/stone urn sitting beside it filled with fermenting kimchi.

Anyway, beeb, unless you throw some chili paste into that slaw and bury it in a mason jar somewhere for a week or so.. it ain't kimchi.
slbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:57 PM   #5

Look, I just posted a recipe sent to me from Angelica's Kitchen Raw Vegan Cookbook from her restaurant in NYC.

Go tell HER it's not Kimchee.......but whatever you want to call it I will still say it was the BEST KIMCHEE I EVER HAD!

Now.....how about just ENJOYING THE RECIPE for what it's worth?

Last edited by Beeb; 10-13-2010 at 07:19 PM..
Old 10-13-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Add some fish sauce and you get the salty, fermented taste overnight
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:21 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creativelc
I had an oriental kim-chee crock, and made it a few times following the directions that were included. It was very good, but definitely on the "hot" side. It was aged at room temperature, and was an interesting project. Unfortunately the crock was broken in a move. I hated to lose it, and haven't made kim-chee since. I recently read that bok choy among the top 5 anti-cancer foods. These ingredients sound like a very tasty combination. Thanks for posting this recipe!
creativelc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Add some fish sauce and you get the salty, fermented taste overnight
Thanks Dottie, will give this a try, too!
Old 10-13-2010, 07:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativelc View Post
I had an oriental kim-chee crock, and made it a few times following the directions that were included. It was very good, but definitely on the "hot" side. It was aged at room temperature, and was an interesting project. Unfortunately the crock was broken in a move. I hated to lose it, and haven't made kim-chee since. I recently read that bok choy among the top 5 anti-cancer foods. These ingredients sound like a very tasty combination. Thanks for posting this recipe!
What a shame about your crock! If you ever come across that recipe that came with the crock I would love to see it!

Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did!

Last edited by Beeb; 10-13-2010 at 08:30 PM..
Old 01-12-2011, 05:54 PM   #10

I'm bumping this because I think this is a GREAT and EASY recipe! I eat this everyday now, and I swear it helps to curb my appetite!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Thanks for bumping beeb, I missed this the first time! I just need to pick up some cabbage, before I can try it!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maru2
Stats: 170/145/135
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1/2007 restart 1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
I'm bumping this because I think this is a GREAT and EASY recipe! I eat this everyday now, and I swear it helps to curb my appetite!
Well you look great Linda! My husband is Japanese and he eats the hot kim-chee but it's too hot for me. Your recipe looks like something I would like. although, I will have to use just a pinch of the cayenne pepper ...Thanks so much for sharing.
maru2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
Thanks for bumping beeb, I missed this the first time! I just need to pick up some cabbage, before I can try it!
The napa cabbage works best but I've been putting all kinds of veggies in my Kimchee now; regular cabbage, red and green, daikon radish, regular radish, a bit of carrot, celery, and anything else I have on hand! Give it a try, Gina and let us know how you like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2 View Post
Well you look great Linda! My husband is Japanese and he eats the hot kim-chee but it's too hot for me. Your recipe looks like something I would like. although, I will have to use just a pinch of the cayenne pepper ...Thanks so much for sharing.
Thanks, Wanda! :blush: I only use a pinch myself, but my daughter uses more. I ate her's the first time and thought I was going to die!!! I love all Asian food, especially Korean. I'm sure you husband knows some great recipes and if so ask him to pass them on!

Last edited by Beeb; 01-13-2011 at 08:39 AM..
Old 01-13-2011, 09:44 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maru2
Stats: 170/145/135
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1/2007 restart 1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
Thanks, Wanda! :blush: I only use a pinch myself, but my daughter uses more. I ate her's the first time and thought I was going to die!!! I love all Asian food, especially Korean. I'm sure you husband knows some great recipes and if so ask him to pass them on!
His mother gave me a bunch of recipes years ago but they buy a lot of their seasonings from the oriental grocery store. Plus most of their recipes have some kind of sweetener, sticky rice, panko or other high carb ingredients. One of my favorite dishes was a sweetened lemon ginger sauce poured over panko breaded and fried chicken. The sauce was so good I would pour it over my rice too.
maru2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:35 AM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Thanks for linking to this Linda!!! One question .. do you eat this as a garnish, like say on the side of eggs or meat or something? or do you eat it as a salad .. I know the "real" kimchee is supposed to be a garnish, but your recipe actually appeals to me more, lol lol!

P
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:14 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojave
WOE: Atkins
Nice recipe,thanks. I lived in Hawaii for years and ate plenty of kimchee. Very hot , clears out the nose and pipes. This is a fresh, unfermented alternative. Thanks.
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
Thanks for linking to this Linda!!! One question .. do you eat this as a garnish, like say on the side of eggs or meat or something? or do you eat it as a salad .. I know the "real" kimchee is supposed to be a garnish, but your recipe actually appeals to me more, lol lol!

P
I eat this as a side dish, TaDa and I eat it everyday now and usually 2 times a day. I do the recipe as I have it here, but now I have red pepper paste w/vinegar I got at the Korean Grocer and OMG, it's just amazing! I like this so much more because it doesn't have that fishy taste which I got really tired of very fast.

I make up a BIG mason jar of this every week and sometimes I make it sweeter, sometimes not, but always hot enough to clean out my sinuses like mojave says. Depends on how I feel the day I'm making it!

Tomorrow's jar is going to be Napa cabbage and spiral sliced (like butterfly sliced) Daikon together! I have done this a couple of times and it's OMG good!!! The Daikon is very refreshing in version of this recipe!

Last edited by Beeb; 04-06-2011 at 08:07 PM..
Old 04-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dollkey
Stats: restart 06-11/150.2/150.2/108 ht 4'11"
WOE: Dukan Attack Phase
Start Date: 06/13/11
I bought a jar of kimchee. I should really eat it LOL

Can you suggest what you eat with this? In Japan I ate it with rice so obviously I can't do that now. Whenever I eat it I have the urge for rice... so any suggestions? TIA!
dollkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:52 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I stir fry it with cut up shirataki noodles and protein of choice. Gives a nice zip to the stir fry.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:47 AM   #20

oooh! Thanks Beeb! I am currently obsessed with Daikon radish!!! lol!! so cheap and tasty! I definitely have to give this a whirl! I assume you are keeping it in the fridge?

Soobee that stirfry sounds nice!

Pauline
Old 04-07-2011, 08:40 AM   #21
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I love buta kimchee and it's a great way to use that lovely cabbage concoction!

You can start with either cooked or raw pork - cut it in strips about 1/4" x 1/4" x 2" or so. If raw, I like to marinate it in some soy sauce, sliced green onions, garlic, and hot pepper paste. If cooked, I don't bother with that part.

Put some fat of your choice in a pan and if starting with the raw meat, stirfry that first til it's just cooked through; set aside. Now slice up an onion, pole to pole, and some bell pepper of your choice (I like to combine red and orange peppers cuz it's pretty!) and stirfry those til just tender; set aside. If using cooked meat - toss that into the pan with a little soy sauce and some hot pepper paste, stirfry til hot. Now add back the veggies and any accumulated juices, and a jar of kimchee. We like the hot kind but whatever you like. If it's in big chunks, cut it up a bit.

Stirfry it all together til hot. Sometimes I do add a bag of the tofu shiratake noodles, rinsed and cut up a bit.

This is a great way to use up leftover pork roast, but I really prefer it starting with raw pork because I love the marinade on it!

Beeb, I haven't made your recipe for kimchee yet but it sounds delicious! Must get the ingredients soon!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:19 PM   #22

Quote:
oooh! Thanks Beeb! I am currently obsessed with Daikon radish!!! lol!! so cheap and tasty! I definitely have to give this a whirl! I assume you are keeping it in the fridge?

Soobee that stirfry sounds nice!

Pauline
Yes, I keep it in the fridge! Here is a pic of the jar I just made with the Napa and Daikon. I run the jar through the dishwasher each time I use this to make sure it's really, really clean, then I will make up a new batch of Kimchee. This will last me about 5 days and then it's off to make more! I now add red pepper paste w/vinegar (about 2 TBS) that comes in a squeeze type container like ketchup that I got at the Korean Grocery and I have also seen this in other Asian market. Just plain red pepper powder works great, too but use sparingly because it's can make the Kimchee WAY too hot! I just LOVE this recipe and it's so yummy and ADDICTING!

Last edited by Beeb; 04-07-2011 at 12:27 PM..
Old 04-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #23
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Oh man that looks SOOOOOO GOOOOOD Linda! :P * * * * * * * DROOLING!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Oh man that looks SOOOOOO GOOOOOD Linda! :P * * * * * * * DROOLING!
I like to turn the jar over for a few minutes before I take some out for eating. It helps to get the juices throughout the kimchee! And it taste even better eating it with chop sticks! Just something gets added eating it this way!

I also have eaten this as Kimchee pancakes, but that was back in the day when I ate rice flour. Very yummy!!

Last edited by Beeb; 04-07-2011 at 02:25 PM..
Old 04-08-2011, 04:11 AM   #25

ohmigosh that looks good Beeb!!! I think my kids would love that too .. we are a hot and spicy family, lol!

Is the pepper vinegar mixture the same as the one called srichacha? They have that at our supermarket .. mostly cambodian and vietnamese grocers around here as far as asian markets ..

Old 04-08-2011, 11:43 AM   #26

Quote:
ohmigosh that looks good Beeb!!! I think my kids would love that too .. we are a hot and spicy family, lol!

Is the pepper vinegar mixture the same as the one called srichacha? They have that at our supermarket .. mostly cambodian and vietnamese grocers around here as far as asian markets ..

This should help to explain what I'm using. Gochujang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is 2g carbs per TBS and I am using about 2 TBS, but that is for 5 pounds of Napa Cabbage and a medium sized Daikon, plus more vinegar and water because the batch is so large. I would say the amount I'm using of the Vinegared Hot Pepper Paste with this much other ingredients doesn't add more then 1/8 of a carb (besides the cabbage and daikon carbs) to each serving and my servings are about 1 1/2 cups at a time.

And I don't see why you couldn't use the Rooster sauce (as I call it) in this recipe, but it's a lot hotter than what I'm using so you would need to adjust to taste.

HTH

Last edited by Beeb; 04-08-2011 at 11:44 AM..
Old 04-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #27

great Linda!!! Thanks for the link!! I will keep an eye open for it!! Must be a Korean grocer around here somewhere!

P
Old 04-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #28
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
While I was about to say I was positive Kimchee was always fermented, I read that is not true. Here, Wikipedia says that "Spring" Kimchee is consumed fresh from spring vegetables and not fermented. I was surprised because I never knew there was a fresh variety. Kimchi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
CindyCRNA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:09 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
While I was about to say I was positive Kimchee was always fermented, I read that is not true. Here, Wikipedia says that "Spring" Kimchee is consumed fresh from spring vegetables and not fermented. I was surprised because I never knew there was a fresh variety. Kimchi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
WOW, thanks so much for this info! I have copied a paragraph from your link because I found it very interesting and exciting to know I'm doing something else that is good for my health and I didn't even know it!

Nutrition and health

Kimchi is made of various vegetables and contains a high concentration of dietary fiber, while being low in calories. One serving also provides up to 80% of the daily recommended amount of vitamin C and carotene.[citation needed] Most types of kimchi contain onions, garlic, and peppers, all of which are salutary. The vegetables being made into kimchi also contribute to the overall nutritional value. Kimchi is rich in vitamin A, thiamine (B1), riboflavin (B2), calcium, and iron,[12][13] and contains a number of lactic acid bacteria, among those the typical species Lactobacillus kimchii.[14][15][16] The magazine Health named kimchi in its list of top five "World's Healthiest Foods" for being rich in vitamins, aiding digestion, and even possibly reducing cancer growth.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:28 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Beeb: I made your recipe for Kimchi this morning

Can't wait until it's ready.

I used napa cabbage and because my market was out of daikon
radish, I used red, green onion and leek tops.
Added fish sauce because I love it. Mirin made it sweetish.
It looks so gorgeous in the jar. I did use the "Rooster Sauce".

Found a recipe for the red pepper paste. It makes enough for
about 4 batches of kimchi and it freezes well. You just use
about 1/4 c. at a time.

Red Pepper Sauce
Place first 5 ingredients into food processor
1 red bell pepper, rough chop
2 inch strip ginger, sliced
1/2 cup garlic, about 1 bulb
1/2 medium onion, rough chop
1/4 water

Purée until apple sauce consistency, Transfer to a bowl and add the following ingredients.

1 cup coarse red pepper powder for Kimchi making*

3/4 cups fish sauce without MSG**

1 tablespoon granulated sugar

1/3 cup water

5 stalks, diced green onions, about 1 cup

Mix well to combine the ingredients. Let it stand for 10-15 minutes.

Can be frozen up to 3 months.

makes 3 cups

*Copyright 2010 NotJustRice.com All rights reserved