Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   The BEST BBQ Sauce I Have EVER Tasted!! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/694106-best-bbq-sauce-i-have-ever-tasted.html)

Beeb 10-06-2010 01:56 PM

The BEST BBQ Sauce I Have EVER Tasted!!

From Blood Sugar 101................THANKS!!

Indispensable Almost No Carb Barbecue Sauce
This isn't a substitute for the "real thing," it's an improvement. It's so good the rest of the family gobbles it up and I have to keep making more.

3/8 cup vinegar
1 1/2 cup tomato sauce. (1 15 oz can) Don't buy a tomato sauce that has spices or flavorings in it!
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tablespoon yellow hot dog mustard
3/4 tablespoon Franks Hot Sauce (the chicken wing sauce)
3/4 tablespoon salt (optional)
1 dash cayenne pepper. Go easy!!!!
3 teaspoons lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
6 teaspoons Splenda or 18 drops of Liquid Splenda

Add vinegar and all other ingredients except mustard to a sauce pan and slowly heat. Put mustard in a cup and slowly stir in a couple tablespoons of sauce until well blended. Then add mustard mixture back to sauce in pan.

Bring to a boil, and lower heat. Let simmer for a few minutes. Let cool, then refrigerate.

Note: this sauce will taste a bit peculiar if you taste it when it is still hot. Don't worry! Something magical happens when it sits in the fridge.

Carbohydrates per Serving (1 tablespoon): Less than 1 gram. Half an ounce is 1 gm carbs, 6 calories.

SweetPoison2 10-06-2010 02:16 PM

:hiya: Marking my spot!

be back~

CarolynF 10-06-2010 02:19 PM

Yeah, Beeb..I think this would stay in the fridge for a little while, no?

sistertzu 10-06-2010 02:52 PM

Thanks for the recipe.

christyjo 10-06-2010 03:22 PM

Beeb, this looks excellent, but I have a question about the sweetener, the recipe says 6 teaspoons Splenda or 18 drops liquid Splenda. Is it 6 tablespoons or are you using a more diluted liquid Splenda?

thanks for all of your recipes, they rock!

christyjo

Beeb 10-06-2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christyjo (Post 13967875)
Beeb, this looks excellent, but I have a question about the sweetener, the recipe says 6 teaspoons Splenda or 18 drops liquid Splenda. Is it 6 tablespoons or are you using a more diluted liquid Splenda?

thanks for all of your recipes, they rock!

christyjo

It's 6 teaspoons of granulated Splenda or any granulated sweetener or 18 drops of a liquid sweetener of your choice.

Glad you enjoy the recipes! :hugs:

Beeb 10-06-2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF (Post 13967679)
Yeah, Beeb..I think this would stay in the fridge for a little while, no?

Yes, I think so Carolyn! :clap:

mac24312 10-06-2010 04:02 PM

It does! I make this alot..Need to make more now.. ;]

gharkness 10-06-2010 04:30 PM

OK, here's my pet peeve: recipes never say what kind of vinegar! So, should it be apple cider or white? Looks like a good recipe, and I love barbecue sauce. Thanks!

CarolynF 10-06-2010 04:54 PM

Georgene: I always do apple cider when I am cooking...or making salads..

gharkness 10-06-2010 05:40 PM

OK, thanks!

Kattbelly 10-06-2010 06:15 PM

I always assume if there is no clarification, the default vinegar is just plain white. If it was important to use apple cider, or white wine, or what have you, then I'd assume they'd say so.

BLUTTO66 10-06-2010 06:34 PM

bump

shirlc 10-06-2010 07:23 PM

This is one of my favorite low-carb recipes, too. Thanks, Jenny!!!

Ginaaaaaa 10-06-2010 07:47 PM

I am confused on the sweetener amounts. 6 tsp of granular splenda is not equal to 18 drops of liquid splenda is it?

Beeb 10-06-2010 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa (Post 13968659)
I am confused on the sweetener amounts. 6 tsp of granular splenda is not equal to 18 drops of liquid splenda is it?

It's 6 tsp of granular Splenda OR 18 drops of liquid Splenda. It's not whether they are equal to each other, just what can be used in this recipe. I use the full 18 drops because I like my BBQ sauce sweet. I think she is giving us an option here for sweetness! ;)

HTH

Ginaaaaaa 10-06-2010 08:13 PM

Gotcha!! Thanks Linda!! I was taking it too literally, I think..lol

mojave 10-07-2010 10:10 AM

BBQ sauce

I use 1 15 oz can tomato sauce, 1 T dijon mustard, 1/4 cup cider vinegar, 3 packets stevia , 1 t crushed garlic. 1 T worstershire , some dried onion flakes, 1 t liquid smoke, and a good shake of Penzeys BBQ 3000. Chipotle power is nice too. I cook it a while. It is better after it sits and you can store it in the fridge for burgers or whatever .This sauce is awesome on a turkey burger , or any other burger. Add Cheese and bacon on top and you have a fantastic meal.

Dee

crazywoman-n-wy 10-07-2010 04:32 PM

I hate to disagree with you Beeb, but as far as the recipe goes (not your taste preference), I think she was using a weaker form of liquid splenda. (Something similar to the old Zero Carb) LindaSue's chart say 18 drops of the Sweetzfree (stronger than the Zero Carb) = 3/4 Cup sugar or granulated Splenda!!! (That's 3 times the amount of granulate Splenda.) Of course you can certainly add that much if you like it really sweet, but don't think that's what the recipe meant.
Posting this more for the benefit of others than beeb. Beeb has figured out how much she likes.

The 6 teaspoons (2 TBSp) of granulated Splenda called for in the recipe would be about the equivelant of about 3 drops Sweetzefree or similar. Again, of course you can add more or less to your own taste.

SkeeterN 10-07-2010 07:34 PM

I made this today. I think I wish I had used apple cider vinegar. It think it had such a tang. I think it was awful sweet with the 18 drops of splenda so I added 1/8 tsp garlic powder, 1/8 tsp onion powder and 1/2 tsp chili powder and it seemed to make it better to me.

I chilled it well and we went to a BBQ restaurant that most of the dishes can have BBQ sauce on them. I took some of this and it was great over the pulled pork.

My brother in law tried it and liked it too. He kept mentioning the tang so I think next time I am going to try the apple cider vinegar in place of the white.

crazywoman-n-wy 10-07-2010 08:01 PM

Skeeter, I think apple cider vinegar has more of a tang than white. Funny how different peoples tastes are. I have a bottle of organic apple cider vinegar here, and it is VERY tangy, and has a very strong flavor. Bought it to try to "take" like medicine, but I can hardly get it down even mixed with about 4 times water. (1oz ACV:4oz water)

Tells me that I will need to cut back on both the vinegar & the sweetener then if I make it. Cause I don't like a lot of tang, or very sweet either one.

Thanks for your thoughts. Thanks everyone.

Beeb 10-07-2010 08:12 PM

I use Apple Cider Vinegar in this recipe, but I use this vinegar for just about everything!! :p

lcmiller461 10-08-2010 04:17 AM

Sounds yummy! Just added Liquid Smoke to my grocery list. :)

Patlaf 10-08-2010 06:07 AM

This is similar to Linda Sue's Smokey Barbecue Sauce (which I am addicted to). She uses apple cider vinegar.

Pat

shirlc 10-08-2010 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy (Post 13972336)
Skeeter, I think apple cider vinegar has more of a tang than white. Funny how different peoples tastes are. I have a bottle of organic apple cider vinegar here, and it is VERY tangy, and has a very strong flavor. Bought it to try to "take" like medicine, but I can hardly get it down even mixed with about 4 times water. (1oz ACV:4oz water)

Tells me that I will need to cut back on both the vinegar & the sweetener then if I make it. Cause I don't like a lot of tang, or very sweet either one.

I made my last batch with apple cider vinegar and decided to go back to white vinegar as I like it better that way. I used 3 drops of EZ Sweetz for the sweetener. As you said, everyone's tastes are different!

CreekWatcher 10-08-2010 07:41 AM

subscribing

SkeeterN 10-08-2010 01:02 PM

Last night I liked this recipe today I am swooning with joy. What a difference overnight caused.

It is NOT too sweet just perfect with the 18 drops of liquid splenda. I am glad I added the additional 1/8 tsp garlic powder, 1/8 tsp onion powder and 1/4 chili powder to this.

This stuff could be bottled and sold its so good!

I am not changing to apple cider vinegar either.:clap: Funny today I didn't notice the tang either. It was just amazing.

happylabs 10-08-2010 04:39 PM

Looks like a good one. Where do I find liquid smoke? :confused:

Soobee 10-08-2010 04:51 PM

The liquid smoke is in little bottles by the spices.

crazywoman-n-wy 10-08-2010 10:57 PM

If you don't find the liquid smoke by the spices, look in the condiments, or with things like hot sauce, sometimes also near bbq sauces. But I've found it at lots of different grocery stores.
My favorite brand is Colgins. I don't care for the Wright's. It is too bitter tasting to me. (DH doesn't care for the Wright's either.) Those are the only 2 I have tried. Colgins is sometimes harder to find. But I have been finding it at my WalMart's. (But all WalMart's are not created equal.)