Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Coconut Ice cream recipe (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/691384-coconut-ice-cream-recipe.html)

Salamander 09-16-2010 03:38 PM

Coconut Ice cream recipe

I bought a can of coconut milk and trying to decide what to use it for...
I have seen coconut ice cream in the stores but it's expensive and loaded with sugar. So I searched around the net to find an easy recipe to use w/ an ice cream maker. Here is one I found. I have not used my ice cream machine in years!! Could anyone let me know if this would work with substituting the sugar:

chocolate coconut ice cream

1- 14 oz can coconut milk
1/3 cup sugar or agave syrup
2 Tbsp cocoa powder

Place all ingredients in a blender, blend for 30 sconds and pour into your ice cream machine bowl and follow manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to a rubbermaid-type container with lid.

I'm asking because other recipes I've seen on LCF and other sites are much more complicated (more ingredients/steps). I was thinking if this is a good base recipe, you could take out the cocoa powder and add fruit or other extracts...

Thanks,
Sally

Soobee 09-17-2010 01:57 AM

I think it would work. My hesitation is how sweet the mixture of cocoa and Splenda would be. Do you have a mixture of sweeteners? I know it would be sweet enough if you used a combination that included erythritol, xylitol, of some other sugar alcohol. I make my ice cream with coconut milk and a a mix of sweeteners (as well as some other ingredients) and it comes out fine, including the chocolate flavor.

Salamander 09-17-2010 08:58 AM

Hi Soobee,

Yes, I have all the ones you mentioned. I'm sure using all Splenda would make it bitter, so I will try a mixture. May I ask what other ingredients you add to your ice cream? Should I include something to thicken it at all?

Thanks!
Sally

Star73 09-17-2010 05:46 PM

It sounds really good! Let us know how it turns out :)

Soobee 09-18-2010 12:42 AM

Sally, this is the latest iteration of my ice cream. It's lower in calories and higher in protein than a regular recipe. You could increase the coconut milk ratio to water to get a creamier version. Mine is all smoke and mirrors. It goes into the ice cream machine looking like a layered jello dessert, and comes out looking like ice cream.

Chocolate Dairy Free Ice Cream
1/3 cup powdered erythritol
1/2 cup water
3 T cocoa
1 pkt (2 rounded t) gelatin

Nuke 1 minute. Stir. Nuke 1/2 minute more.

Add
2/3 cup coconut milk
1 1/2 cups water
4 heaping T egg white powder (2 portions of desired protein powder of any kind)
1 to 1 and 1/2 cups extra sweetener (I use Neotane and sucralose liquid)
1/4 t chocolate extract, optional
1 t vanilla
sprinkle of salt

You can blend this or whisk it. It doesn't matter. Chill. It will separate into layers. Put in your ice cream maker. This makes 2 meal replacements. Since the end product does not freeze well, I make 1/2 half of the recipe at a time, and leave the rest of the recipe in the fridge. It will last over a week there.

I eat a version of this kind of ice cream almost everyday. I usually make vanilla flavored ice cream and mix it with one of my chocolate protein bars cut into pieces.