Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 10:40 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kaywood
Stats: 206/181/maintain any weightloss 59 yo 5'6"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Recommitted Jan 2 2011
Vitamix

I'm in need of replacing my broken blender and am looking to purchase a Vitamix 4500.

Would love to know if those who own one are still happy with it. Have read many good reviews.

Thanks in advance for your input!
kaywood is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I don't think you can buy a BAD Vitamix! LOL!!

I had the Maxi4000 before I got a bug up my butt to buy the (then) new 5000. I wanted the multiple speeds and the clear container. The 4000 had 2 speeds plus instant reverse. That thing would've ground up bricks if I'd put them in there, I swear!

I'd say go for the 4500. I think you'll love it!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Charski! I appreciate your input. I've found a pretty good price of $348 with free shipping, so should probably grab it.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
Gadget Gal

If that's on "that auction site" we all know - I saw it yesterday too when looking on there for someone else asking about VM on this forum. I think that's a great price for it!
Old 09-15-2010, 01:01 PM   #5
Gadget Gal

I just took a really close look at that - looks like a blend between my old 4000 and my new 5000 - in that it has an on/off and two speeds like my 4000, but no "instant reverse" (which always kinda scared me anyway! LOL!) but it has the nice new version of the clear container like my 5000 has.

I bought the 5000 to get the variable speeds and the container and I DO use the "walk it up from low to high" fairly often with the variable dial, BUT, I didn't ever have a problem with only low and high on the old 4000. The variable causes less "spit" when starting out with a blender full of ingredients, but I wouldn't say that it's an absolute necessity.

You'll have whatever VM you get for many years. I hope you love yours as much as I've loved BOTH mine!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 09-15-2010, 04:16 PM   #6

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
In my experience people usually think they need a more powerful blender because of trying to blend a lot of ice into smoothies. If you add the ice cubes through the top as it's running, and not all at once, almost any blender can handle them fine. Just an aside, since I hate to see people spending money they don't need to. Carry on.
ravenrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:03 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nikki2777
Charski,

"That auction site" you mention above! Please, where is it?

Nikki
Nikki2777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:37 AM   #8
Gadget Gal

Nikki, I'm not supposed to post the link because of board rules here - it's THE online auction site that has been around for years now, where you can get anything from paper clips to ocean freighters! It USED to be like a big online garage sale, now it's gone much more commercial, but good deals are still to be had on things like the VitaMix.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:46 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dawna
I've had my VM for several years. I love, love, love it. I wanted it for years before finally purchasing, and haven't regretted it for a second. Mine has low/high and variable speeds, but no reverse (didn't even know there was such a thing).

We use it for smoothies and protein drinks daily. We make soups often. My husband uses it nightly for blending scraps for composting. I love that I can put whole fruits and veg in there and come out with a super smooth puree or smoothie.

I was going through blenders like crazy, and while I could have purchased a new blender every six months for years before spending what I spent on my VM, none of them (in my opinion) did nearly the job it does.

Is it a necessity? Probably not. Is it worth it, absolutely to me.
dawna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:29 AM   #10
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawna View Post
I was going through blenders like crazy, and while I could have purchased a new blender every six months for years before spending what I spent on my VM, none of them (in my opinion) did nearly the job it does.

Is it a necessity? Probably not. Is it worth it, absolutely to me.
Yep, concur fully with this!

It may SEEM expensive up front but I used to go through blenders often too and they never did the job that the VM does.

Not to mention, I can grind flax seeds in 10 seconds flat (literally!) and make soup including heating it right in the VM.

And yep, I bought an old container on eBay that I use exclusively for composting.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:22 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I did place my order yesterday. Didn't get it on the "auction site", but on another site that was running $50 off and free shipping. I also ordered the 32 oz. blender jar.

My old blender jar broke and I've looked at VM's for years. I use a blender every single morning for a green shake with spinach and kale, blueberries, coconut milk ice cubes, etc. and think I will love this. I like to just throw everything in and let er rip. I'm currently using a small blender and everything gets jammed up most mornings. Bet it will make a dynamite frappucino!

Didn't realize you could heat your soup in it? Looking forward to making soups as fall and winter approach.

Also enjoy making healthy blender ice creams for my grandkids when they're visiting.

Can't wait for it to arrive!

Thanks for all the input.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:33 AM   #12
Gadget Gal

Mary, can't wait to hear about your first experiments!

The soup heats due to the friction of the blades - takes about 4 minutes total.

I make great soft-serve ice cream, 12 oz. frozen whole unsweetened strawberries (I use Trader Joe's), 1/2 cup heavy cream, a tiny splash of vanilla and sweetener to taste. Put the sweetened cream into the VM, add the frozen berries, cover tightly, and let 'er rip! Use the tamper through the lid to keep the berries pushing into the blades.

Makes a lot of racket but it's worth it, takes less than a minute!

TJ's frozen pineapple tidbits make really good pineapple ice cream too. We also like the frozen mixed berries that have the cherries in the mix.

BTW do NOT use the tamper in the 32 oz. container to push berries or anything that requires force - the top is just soft enough to allow the tamper to push too far into the container and the blades chew it up pretty fast! Ask me how I know....

I called VM and they immediately sent me out a new tamper, no charge, but just a word to the wise!
Old 09-16-2010, 10:38 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
BTW do NOT use the tamper in the 32 oz. container to push berries or anything that requires force - the top is just soft enough to allow the tamper to push too far into the container and the blades chew it up pretty fast! Ask me how I know....

I called VM and they immediately sent me out a new tamper, no charge, but just a word to the wise!
Oh my Charski, thanks for the heads up, because I surely would have tried that and chewed up the tamper!

I'll report once it arrives.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:02 PM   #14
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Nikki, I'm not supposed to post the link because of board rules here - it's THE online auction site that has been around for years now, where you can get anything from paper clips to ocean freighters! It USED to be like a big online garage sale, now it's gone much more commercial, but good deals are still to be had on things like the VitaMix.
Clearing this up: You can say "ebay" lol. You can't link to a specific seller/auction, the site itself (link or xxx dot com) but you can say the name of the site as long as it's not a competition of Netrition or anything like that.
The specifics of the modified tos can be found here:
Terms of Service - Policy Modification
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:55 PM   #15
Gadget Gal

Oh yay, thanks Dottie!

OK, it's on eBay!!

I HAVE bought stuff on there that I could've bought on Netrition (cinnamon, vitamins etc.) so that's why I thought I couldn't "say" it, although I DID mention it re: the 32 oz. container.

Last edited by Charski; 09-16-2010 at 02:56 PM..
Old 09-16-2010, 05:24 PM   #16
IDT
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: IDT
Stats: 152/139/125 5'6"
Start Date: Atkins 2004
My 3600 just died after almost 30 years of loyal service. I was heartbroken as I considered it a family member! I made green smoothies, play doh and ground wood chunks for incense in that beast.
IDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:35 PM   #17
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDT View Post
I made green smoothies, play doh and ground wood chunks for incense in that beast.
WOW, would you share how you made the incense? That sounds incredible!

If/when mine dies, there will not elapse 24 hours before I have another at least on order!
Old 09-17-2010, 07:10 PM   #18
IDT
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: IDT
Stats: 152/139/125 5'6"
Start Date: Atkins 2004
Ah, I made combustible for years with gum tragacanth and saltpetre in it, then settled on cedar wood sawdust made from dried and vitamixed small branches with dried cedar "leaves," oils and gums all ground up together. Keep it in a jar and put a teaspoon onto lit charcoal. Catholic stores always have charcoal pellets for incense. I quit making it and burning it when we sponge-painted our living room and I became terrified of having to scour soot streaks off the fancy paint.
IDT is offline   Reply With Quote