Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnylucy View Post
I agree the gluten flour stuff niether tastes nor has a proper texture of regular bread. Carbalose flour (not carbquick, plain carbalose flour, I got mine at nettrition.com) is the first step to getting yeast bread low carb and it being worth while. My loaves just replacing the regular bread flour with carbalose and a tablespoon of gluten are still in need of better rising, but they are edible. there are recipes out there using carbalose four but I have not done them because they have many specialized ingredients in them and I do not have them and the recipe does not say what they replace or how to substitute for them with things in my pantry.... is wheat protein isolate 500 the same as gluten or close enough?.... for example. any way get some carbalose flour and begin by substituting it for you regular flour, then you can bagin to figure out what other modifications are needed.
Any one who can help more please do! I'd love the recipe to explain each ingredient, where to get it and what to use instead if you don't have it higher carb or not....what it does for the loaf... for example aguave nectar, I asume that is a sweetener, to feed the yeast, sucralose and a tiny bit of real sugar might be substituted, with some liquid to keep the texture correct... that kind of info.
Things may have changed a bit since this thread was posted in 2011. With that said, you don't need special ingredients to make a decent loaf of LC bread. I've been here since 2002, bought all the special ingredients along the way and eventually dumped them all.

So if you set aside your pre-conceived notions about LC bread and find a decent recipe, you may find yourself baking a wonderful loaf that tastes just like real bread...not like sawdust...not like a dry sponge...but like r-e-a-l bread.

The question I have for you is what is your acceptable limit of net carbs per slice of LC bread? Some people want the lowest carb count possible, but even the commercial bakers produce loaves that are decent tasting and are around 7g per slice. If that is acceptable, I can help you. Let me know.

BTW...

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...

Last edited by RVcook; 02-02-2013 at 04:14 PM..
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #122
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I love this recipe for bread.

I make my version several time a year. Not every day, but several times a year.

skinnylucy, I want to help. This recipe has been worked over until it was right. Kevinpa worked hard at tweeking these recipes to make sure they were as close to perfect as possible.

What are your specific questions?
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:01 AM   #123
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Netrition carries a low carb bread mix and flour. The name of the company is LC Foods. This might be an easy way to experiment.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #124
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Have you tried it Carolyn?
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #125
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
Donna, please tell me how to make a loaf with no special ingredients.
I have been using Kevin's bread flour mix with good results but some folks cannot
tolerate the gluten. I'm always open to suggestions and I like to experiment!
TIA!
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #126
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp2009 View Post
Donna, please tell me how to make a loaf with no special ingredients.
I have been using Kevin's bread flour mix with good results but some folks cannot
tolerate the gluten. I'm always open to suggestions and I like to experiment!
TIA!
I should probably clarify...by special I mean WPI-5000, Carbalose, etc., the things you wouldn't necessarily be able to pick up at a regular grocery store. Gluten is not only present in regular wheat flours, but is also used by some bakers for what it adds to bread baking and thus, is usually available in the baking aisle at most grocery stores.

My LC Oat Bread comes in at about 8g net carbs per slice, but also contains 1/2 cup of vital wheat gluten. My gluten free bread (which my DH loves!) comes in at over quadruple the number of carbs per slice when compared with the LC recipe. Even with my level of baking expertise, I have been unable to come up with a LC-GF yeast bread recipe that mimics the taste and texture of its wheat-based cousin.

I hope this makes sense.
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #127
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
Have you tried it Carolyn?
No, I don't want to pay $8.95 for a loaf of bread..LOL..I'm sure it is fine, in fact, it might be "Kevin's ingredients" all prepackaged by LC foods.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote