Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 06:11 AM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
Since baking powder has baking soda in it, my leaving it out would explain why I needed to add more salt for my taste.
Billie, Kevin, Dr. J, and Rose....Thank you all for your contributions to this recipe!!!
And if anyone hears from Kevin,tell him that we all miss him.
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2010, 09:23 AM   #92
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
We are all waiting to hear from Kevin!!
drjlocarb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #93
Senior LCF Member

well I have a batch of his pita bread mix in the bread maker as we speak (or in this case type). I will let ya know how it turns out. I am doing the entire loaf in the breadmaker, it obviously won't be pita bread!
Old 12-07-2010, 04:57 PM   #94
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Do tell!
Old 12-07-2010, 05:21 PM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Another nice loaf from Kevins pita bread recipe. It rose nicely, but since it uses less bake mix and no wheat bran, is a much smaller loaf. It is very soft and moist. I got
8- about 1/2 to 1 " thick slices. Bread was still warm, so might be able to slice thinner if the bread was cool when sliced.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:21 PM   #96
Senior LCF Member

I used the 1lb. loaf setting for that bread.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:52 PM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Hey, I know some of you know & do this, but some may not. If you use an electric knife to slice the bread it will slice much easier. And yes, it will also slice easier when cool. If you must slice while still warm, try to slice only what you need right then, and let the rest cool before slicing it all.
With my electric knife, I slice my slices very very thin, then I can have 2 slices of toast with my breakfast for about the same carbs as 1 slice. I slice my DH's about 1/2" thick. (Mine is probably usually about 1/4".)

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:14 AM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Billie,
Thanks, I never thought of that! And I do have an electric knife so I will try it on my next loaf. I was so excited to see how it turned out that I couldn't wait for it to cool.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #99
Major LCF Poster!

You are most welcome! I'm just sorry I hadn't remembered to mention it before. I'd been meaning to for several days. And would forget when I got in here.
I know what you mean about being anxious to try it!!! Next time, if you just can't wait, just cut what you need right then. Then let it cool before cutting the rest. The rest will cut much smoother and easier.
My problem regular knife, or electric is cutting it straight.
I used to use my meat slicer! When it works well, it it really great. But sometimes it cuts well, and sometimes it really butchers it. I finally gave up on it, and started using the electric knife.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:40 AM   #100
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just a bump for those looking for bread.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:11 AM   #101
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
You are most welcome! I'm just sorry I hadn't remembered to mention it before. I'd been meaning to for several days. And would forget when I got in here.
I know what you mean about being anxious to try it!!! Next time, if you just can't wait, just cut what you need right then. Then let it cool before cutting the rest. The rest will cut much smoother and easier.
My problem regular knife, or electric is cutting it straight.
I used to use my meat slicer! When it works well, it it really great. But sometimes it cuts well, and sometimes it really butchers it. I finally gave up on it, and started using the electric knife.
You could always partially freeze your loaf then slice it...
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:36 AM   #102
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Using a electric knife is the best and only way I cut my bread. Don't forget to use 1 Tablespoon of sugar for the yeast.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
You could always partially freeze your loaf then slice it...
I could, but then I'd probably forget it, and it would be totally frozen!!!
I prefer that my bread isn't frozen, but if I knew just how long to have it in the freezer, then remembered to take it out at that time, I could use my meat slicer for more even slices. I am NOT good at slicing evenly with my electric knife (or any other knife). That's me not the knife's fault! But barring the meat slicer, the electric knife is the way to go!
They do make slicing guides, but I never really had good luck with one of those either. I don't have one, but had one borrowed from my daughter at one time. Also, the slices are not the size I usually want.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:17 PM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: graciejean
Bumping
graciejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #105
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Was reading over this thread again, and am bumping to ask drylocarb (or anyone who's made it) a question about the bran bread ("Dr. J's crazy")...noticed you use the resistant corn starch, which was kevin's new ingredient in his last bake mix. Now that flour mixture is the only one I've used that results in a substantial oven rise in a low carb yeast loaf (if you get the counter rise just right). Does the Dr. J bran bread have this characteristic?

Kevin's "pita" bread, by contrast (which uses his "old" carbalose bake mix) never rises a lot in the oven, but is more forgiving and variable regarding the counter rise...on occasions when I was able, and wanted, to get a monstrous rise out of it on the counter, it baked and cooled without falling.
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:32 PM   #106
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi CreekWatcher, I don't get it to double in the rise(I let it rise in the oven for 50-60 min), but it will double from there when I turn the oven on and bake. I have never had it fall after baking. I rise and bake without removing from the oven.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:39 AM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
Hi CreekWatcher, I don't get it to double in the rise(I let it rise in the oven for 50-60 min), but it will double from there when I turn the oven on and bake. I have never had it fall after baking. I rise and bake without removing from the oven.
Thanks for that info, drjlocarb, it sounds like this recipe behaves like Kevin's "new" loaf, so I will treat it accordingly, and will probably try your easy rising-to-baking method (I have always taken the bread and hot water pan out when I turn the oven on, and waited for the temp to come up before putting it back in).

I said a while back I would probably try Kevin's # 4 white bread with his "new" mix, as you suggested, and a couple of days ago I did (it just took me a good few months)...I put the whole 4 cup recipe into one large bread pan when I couldn't find both my smaller pans, and it was the biggest hunk of bread I've ever made...it rose quite successfully, but it is rather bland (at least partly because I forgot to add some acid, like vinigar or cream of tartar, to it).
Old 04-21-2011, 06:38 AM   #108
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/174.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
bump
jbatchelor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:24 AM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher View Post
I said a while back I would probably try Kevin's # 4 white bread with his "new" mix, as you suggested, and a couple of days ago I did (it just took me a good few months)...I put the whole 4 cup recipe into one large bread pan when I couldn't find both my smaller pans, and it was the biggest hunk of bread I've ever made...it rose quite successfully, but it is rather bland (at least partly because I forgot to add some acid, like vinigar or cream of tartar, to it).
Creek, that is why I add the wheat bran & flaxmeal to mine. I'm not a fan of white bread. Also the bran & flax adds fiber which I want/need. If you don't care for flax at all, or can't use it, you could add all bran (or visa versa).
Old 04-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #110
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
Creek, that is why I add the wheat bran & flaxmeal to mine. I'm not a fan of white bread. Also the bran & flax adds fiber which I want/need. If you don't care for flax at all, or can't use it, you could add all bran (or visa versa).
Thank, Billie, I've since done so (made the Dr. J bread with bran), and it came out very well. I also tried (finally) Jennifer Eloff's bread recipe--think I held back the rise with some tweaking, but it was still the best rise from an lc wholegrain bread I've gotten. Am still enjoying some slices from both of these breads from out of the freezor.

I'm not sure the ground flax adds anything to the Jen bread; think I'll try a posted suggestion to sub ground sesame for it, and add some whole flax seeds at the end of the kneading (a small amount of the whole is surprisingly tasty).
Old 04-21-2011, 03:18 PM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

Hmmm,,,, That ground sesame sounds like it might be good!

I've not tried any of Jenn's breads. They seemed a little too carby to me best I can remember. Used ingredients that I preferred not to use. And since I'm happy with the bread recipe I'm using , and it's pretty low carb, I've just stuck with it.

Let me know if you try the sesame, and how it turns out. I just made bread this afternoon. Won't be making any more for a while.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:47 PM   #112
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

bumping for a friend
Old 05-17-2011, 06:20 AM   #113
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
So Billie, can you share the recipe that you use please?
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #114
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I thought it was posted on page 2 of this thread. And it sorta is, but I guess I only listed the additions & substitutions that I make for Kevin's #4 White bread there. So here is mine:

Kevin’s Carbalose #4 white bread (w/wheat bran) New - Billie’s version

1/2 cup water
1/8 cup cream (I melt the butter in measuring cup then add 1/8 cup cream & enough water to make 7 oz counting the above.. - Billie)
2 large eggs
2 Tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 cup wheat protein isolate 8000 (can sub Vital Wheat Gluten)
1 1/2 cup Carbalose
1/4 cup Resistant Corn Starch (Hi-Maize 260)
1 1/3 Wheat Protein isolate 5000
1/4 c wheat bran (Billie)
1/4 c flax meal (Billie)
1 Tbls. Not/Starch (No longer available... I use Dixie Diner Thick It Up -- Billie)
1/4 tsp. splenda quick pack (scant) (Or 3 drops Sweetzfree)
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. sugar
2 tsp instant yeast or 1 packet rapid rise yeast
1/2 tsp Inulin (optional)(Billie's)

Combine all the dry ingredient in a glass mixing bowl except 3/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000.
Then put the wet ingredients in an electric mixing bowl.
With the paddle, mix the wet for about 1 minute on low then add the dry mixing till well combined.
Change the paddle for the dough hook and knead with the hook for 8 to 10 min adding the wheat protein isolate 5000 as needed until the dough pulles away from the sides of the mixing bowl and climbes up the hook.
Then form dough and place in a lightly greased loaf dish.
Let rise for 1 hour in a warm draft free place till dough doubles in size.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Bake 25 to 40 mins or until golden brown. (Bake 20 min, spray & brush with Bakers Joy - bake abt 5 more min.)(I have done this, but rarely do. Billie)

Kevinpa

15 min knead (timer set-unattended)

My total time per batch of dough is 45 min. and of that it only needs my attention 10 min.
Billie as with all my bread recipes it has been a learning experience. I did not follow this method in the beginning but I do use it now with all my bread with the exception of sweet breads. With those I am not looking for that strong gluten structure. When I use it I mix the ingredients to the point were it comes together and not wet. That is usually about the time I had switched out the paddle for the hook. Then I just throw a towel over it and come back in 20 min. to start the knead.

Just a Simple White Bread Thread - Page 9 - Low Carb Friends #247

Billie’s note:
I do not use a full cup of cream/water. I melt the butter in cup in microwave, add the cream, then the water to make 7oz.
I also do NOT let my dough rest like Kevin said he started doing in the paragraph above. It didn't work well for me. I knead for 10 min. I stopped using the paddle (with my Kitchen Ade mixer) quite some time ago to start my bread. I start off with the dough hook. Works just fine for me. (I do have to break up the eggs with a knife or spoon or etc first when only using the hook.)

I am currently having problems with the internet, so not sure when I'll be able to get back in.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I thought it was posted on page 2 of this thread. And it sorta is, but I guess I only listed the additions & substitutions that I make for Kevin's #4 White bread there. So here is mine:

Kevin’s Carbalose #4 white bread (w/wheat bran) New - Billie’s version

1/2 cup water
1/8 cup cream (I melt the butter in measuring cup then add 1/8 cup cream & enough water to make 7 oz counting the above.. - Billie)
2 large eggs
2 Tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 cup wheat protein isolate 8000 (can sub Vital Wheat Gluten)
1 1/2 cup Carbalose
1/4 cup Resistant Corn Starch (Hi-Maize 260)(He changed to this later- original recipe had Resistant Wheat Starch)
1 1/3 Wheat Protein isolate 5000
1/4 c wheat bran (Billie)
1/4 c flax meal (Billie)
1 Tbls. Not/Starch (No longer available... I use Dixie Diner Thick It Up -- Billie)
1/4 tsp. splenda quick pack (scant) (Or 3 drops Sweetzfree)
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. sugar
2 tsp instant yeast or 1 packet rapid rise yeast
1/2 tsp Inulin (optional)(Billie's)

Combine all the dry ingredient in a glass mixing bowl except 3/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000.
Then put the wet ingredients in an electric mixing bowl.
With the paddle, mix the wet for about 1 minute on low then add the dry mixing till well combined.
Change the paddle for the dough hook and knead with the hook for 8 to 10 min adding the wheat protein isolate 5000 as needed until the dough pulles away from the sides of the mixing bowl and climbes up the hook.
Then form dough and place in a lightly greased loaf dish.
Let rise for 1 hour in a warm draft free place till dough doubles in size.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Bake 25 to 40 mins or until golden brown. (Bake 20 min, spray & brush with Bakers Joy - bake abt 5 more min.)(I have done this, but rarely do. Billie)

Kevinpa

15 min knead (timer set-unattended)

My total time per batch of dough is 45 min. and of that it only needs my attention 10 min.
Billie as with all my bread recipes it has been a learning experience. I did not follow this method in the beginning but I do use it now with all my bread with the exception of sweet breads. With those I am not looking for that strong gluten structure. When I use it I mix the ingredients to the point were it comes together and not wet. That is usually about the time I had switched out the paddle for the hook. Then I just throw a towel over it and come back in 20 min. to start the knead.

Just a Simple White Bread Thread - Page 9 - Low Carb Friends #247

Billie’s note:
I do not use a full cup of cream/water. I melt the butter in cup in microwave, add the cream, then the water to make 7oz.
I also do NOT let my dough rest like Kevin said he started doing in the paragraph above. It didn't work well for me. I knead for 10 min. I stopped using the paddle (with my Kitchen Ade mixer) quite some time ago to start my bread. I start off with the dough hook. Works just fine for me. (I do have to break up the eggs with a knife or spoon or etc first when only using the hook.)

I am currently having problems with the internet, so not sure when I'll be able to get back in.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:35 AM   #116
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Thanks. I want to give it a try.
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:32 AM   #117
Major LCF Poster!

You're welcome! Hope you like it as well as I do.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #118
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: syntella
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Ongoing
Low Carb Yeast White Bread

Following is a recipe I developed for Low Carb white bread. I am a bread lover and this recipe has approx 1100 calories per loaf and approx 48 net carbs per loaf using all sugar - less if you use SPlenda.

In a small (1 cup) bowl mix:
2 pkgs rapid rise yeast, 3/4 tsp. Baking Powder and 1/4 cup of the mixture below.

Mix together in a large bowl:
2-1/2 C Carbalose Flour
1/4 C Oat Flour
1 C Vital Wheat Gluten Flour
3/4 C Resistant Wheat Starch
1 Tbs Splenda or Sugar
1/8 tsp salt

In Bread Machine Pan add:
1-1/2 C + 1 or 2 TBS water 90 - 100 degrees
3 TBS Olive Oil
1/2 tsp Sugar

Then add the flour mixture to the bread pan and finally the yeast mixture.

Set bread machine to "Dough Only" and remove as soon as kneading has stopped. Shape into two loaves (dough is very stiff and hard to shape) (If you add too much water bread will fall like a cake). Let rise until double in bulk. The dough will only rise once - something in the carbalose flour that will not permit dough to rise a second time. Bake in 374 degree oven approximately 30 minutes. I use sugar so bread will toast. I also make hamberger buns with this recipe but it is a little difficult to get the buns shaped. Gives you a workout. Let me know what you think.
syntella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:48 PM   #119
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bumping to make tomorrow.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #120
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: skinnylucy
Stats: keeping my lipid profile healthy
low carb yeast bread

I agree the gluten flour stuff niether tastes nor has a proper texture of regular bread. Carbalose flour (not carbquick, plain carbalose flour, I got mine at nettrition.com) is the first step to getting yeast bread low carb and it being worth while. My loaves just replacing the regular bread flour with carbalose and a tablespoon of gluten are still in need of better rising, but they are edible. there are recipes out there using carbalose four but I have not done them because they have many specialized ingredients in them and I do not have them and the recipe does not say what they replace or how to substitute for them with things in my pantry.... is wheat protein isolate 500 the same as gluten or close enough?.... for example. any way get some carbalose flour and begin by substituting it for you regular flour, then you can bagin to figure out what other modifications are needed.
Any one who can help more please do! I'd love the recipe to explain each ingredient, where to get it and what to use instead if you don't have it higher carb or not....what it does for the loaf... for example aguave nectar, I asume that is a sweetener, to feed the yeast, sucralose and a tiny bit of real sugar might be substituted, with some liquid to keep the texture correct... that kind of info.
skinnylucy is offline   Reply With Quote