Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post

Funny you should ask. I keep forcing all my friends to taste test these different breads because I don't trust my LC taste buds. They all give . They say no weird taste. I don't even let them put butter on the bread.

Of course, I think it is GREAT!
Thanks, I think I'll have to try your recipe. I don't like the taste of large amounts of the WPI 5000--actually I don't think ANY amount of of the 5000 (as opposed to the 8000) tastes good, but it's the more important of the two WPIs when it comes to rise...however the taste might strike me differently in a bran bread.

Last edited by CreekWatcher; 09-22-2010 at 11:39 AM..
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2010, 11:41 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Next loaf, I am going to sub some flax meal for some of the 5000. Will try 1/4-1/2 cup and see if it inhibits the rise. And maybe sub 1/2 t. of molasses for 1/2t. sugar to increase depth of flavor. I don't really want to add whole wheat flour, but I want more of a "wheat" bread texture/taste.

Any ideas for LC additions?
drjlocarb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:15 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbbw
Stats: 234/199/150
WOE: Low Carb <30
Start Date: 1977,2000,Apr,2010
Just saw this! Thanks so much drj! I just got my order and have experimented twice with a basic Kevin white bread loaf, one with kitchenaid, one with bread machine. Not satisfied with rise on either, but the taste and texture, for me and visiting non lc family, was just terrific! I am making this bread you posted TODAY! This appears to be about 3 cups Kevin's Carbalose flour mix plus the bran and other ingredients. I'll use some arithmetic to figure that out since I have the mix available. Thanks again!!
slbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

How did your bread turn out?

Just for reference, I did not use the mix. I measured out the ingredients separately to see if that made a difference in the rise as apposed to the white bread I made with the mix.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

I didn't make it yet. I got sidetracked with another Kevin recipe. I'm very disappointed with the rise (or lack of it) with the 3 recipe's I baked. And, I got a very slow, lazy proof from my yeast today. In case that is the problem, don't want to waste more ingredients on a failure. I'll get some more yeast tomorrow and try your bread. I did realize that I shouldn't use the flour mix as you point out. The measures aren't quite the same, probably to accomodate for the wheat bran.

Can't wait to be dependably successful with this. I am actually excited about this new lc way of baking, especially. I've been cooking (and loving it) for so long the other way. My creative juices are flowing again! It's so much fun to say, "Taste this" and see the surprised approval when you tell them, "It's low carb".

My diabetes and double chin love it, too!
Old 09-27-2010, 04:29 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't proof. I use rapid rise and just dump it in on top of the flours.

The white bread with the mix DID make good hamburger and hotdog buns!!

Good Luck and keep me posted.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:13 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I don't proof. I use rapid rise and just dump it in on top of the flours.

The white bread with the mix DID make good hamburger and hotdog buns!!

Good Luck and keep me posted.
Well there's another thing I'll have to try (sometime, whenever that turns out to be)...I haven't made a hot dog or hamburger bun yet that I really liked. Thanks
Old 10-04-2010, 03:23 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

bump for more input
Old 10-05-2010, 02:53 PM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

bump again for crazywoman
Old 10-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
OK drjlocarb I'm here.
I only use Kevin's Carbalose #4 bread recipe. It is the only one I have gotten to come out well using my tweaks of adding wheat bran and flax meal. I prefer the "wheat bread" taste to that of white, plus want the extra fiber it brings. (Actually like the taste of the #4 without, but again want the extra fiber.)

You wanted my comments about my tweaks. I'll see if I can type them up. I live at a high altitude, and it is very dry here. I would have expected to have to add more liquid, but right the opposite, I have to cut back on the liquid, and then still usually add either more WPI 5000 or Kevin's bread mix. I put the butter (about 1 TBsp) in a 1 cup measuring cup, add about a TBSp to 1 oz cream, and then pour in boiling water to the 7 oz mark. Even then I still usually have to add extra of the dry.
I do not use his flour mix, I use the ingredients in his #4 recipe. I usually make up a big batch (5X), and partial it out into vac bags & vac seal them of easy bread mixes. But as I said, I usually end up adding a little more dry to my dough to get the right consistency. I do about a 10 min knead. I found that I don't want to do the rest that Kevin suggested. It starts to rise, then it doesn't rise as well after the knead. Works for him, and maybe others, but not for me.

Oh, I guess I forgot to say how much bran & flax meal I add. I add 1/4 cup of each to each batch (1 loaf batch.) (1 1/4 cups each in a 5 batch pre-mix)
I do use brown sugar as my sugar in the mix, but doubt that really makes a difference.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:45 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Billie, is this what you call Kevin's #4?

1 cup Calorie Countdown milk
2 Large eggs
2 Tbs butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 cup wheat protein isolate 8000
1 3/8 cup carbalose
1 1/8 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
1/8 cup Resistant Wheat Starch 75
1 Tbs not/Sugar
1/8 tsp splenda quick pack
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sugar
1 packet rapid rise yeast
¾ cup wheat protein isolate 5000

This is from his recipe page. I want to try your tweaks, or maybe drj's which are based on your tweaks.

Thanks!
Old 10-06-2010, 12:47 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Yes slbbw, that is the one I use (with my tweaks).

Rather than the Carb/Calorie Countdown milk, I use a tiny bit of cream & water (as I described in my post)(boiling water).
I use 2 tsp instant yeast. Several of his recipes calls for that, and I had forgotten that he stated the package of rapid rise in this recipe, so didn't include that in my tweaks post.

Also right now I am using Vital Wheat Gluten rather than the WPI 8000, as that is what I have on hand (have had a LOT of it). When it is gone I will be using the 8000 tho. Would rather use the 8000 as it is a little higher in Protein, and slightly less carbs. I just had too much of the VWG to not use it up, when it will work so much like the 8000.

You are most welcome!

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 10-06-2010 at 12:50 PM..
Old 10-06-2010, 02:15 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 10-06-2010 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: Double post!
Old 10-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I made a wheat bran loaf today. It rose way above the pan! I did not use extra water but did use baking powder. I also used the new not/sugar. I noticed it has fructose in it and will try with the old not/starch I have left next time.

One of the other loaves I made, I used the old not/starch and the other loaf I used 1/2 and 1/2 old not/starch and new not/ sugar.

BTW, I have never made bread other than with a bread machine until now.
If this Dixie Diner Sugar Not!, All Natural Sweetener is the not/sugar you were speaking of, it is NOTHING like the old not/sugar. Actually is is called Sugar Not, and is a sugar replacement, not a gum product like ThickenThin not/sugar.

Dixie Diner does make a product similar to the not/sugar not/starch called Carb Counters Thick It Up Low Carb Thickener . I have several bags of the not/starch, but will probably start using this product when I am out. (assuming they are still making/selling it by then)

Oops, I didn't read down far enough before I posted. Someone else posted that was not the same, and is a sweetener. :blush:

AND sorry for the double post!!!

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 10-06-2010 at 02:46 PM..
Old 10-06-2010, 03:40 PM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for coming over Billie.

Do you use Kevins bake mixes for cookies and cakes? If so, which mix?
Old 10-06-2010, 06:07 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

AAAAaaaaaaAAARRRrrrggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I made your loaf and was coming here to post and say it was a partial success, and in reading dj's replies, I realized: I FORGOT THE DANG BAKING POWDER!

What a dumb, noob thing to do. I actually pride myself on not doing things like that.. oh well. Anyway, it didn't rise enough to suit me, but it smells wonderful! I haven't tasted it yet. Back to the drawing board. This time I'll staple the recipe to my forehead.. or something.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You are going to have some Great stuffing for Thanksgiving!

Sorry , don't give up. I hope the next one works for you.

Last edited by drjlocarb; 10-06-2010 at 06:43 PM..
Old 10-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

You are welcome Dr J!
It's been fun & interesting reading the posts. Seems like I may have seen a couple of the posts once back when. Then I "lost" the thread.
Or maybe I just remember reading Creekwatcher's posts on the other thread.

Actually I don't bake cookies. I never could bake a decent cookie. So I haven't tried it with his mix. And I don't bake cakes often, and haven't used his mix for that either. I do sub his mix tho for flour in a some things. Sorry, I really can't remember just what. Usually has been low carb recipes tho that called for Carbquick or Carbalose tho. And have made some of Kevin's recipes that he had made up & posted before his bake mixes. I just haven't done any high carb desserts that I can think of and made them low carb by subbing his bake mix & using sweeteners.

Don't think I've ever (or at least in a long long time) not eaten the breads that I made, even when they didn't rise well, and were very dense. I rarely ever use bread crumbs (unlike Kevin who makes loaves of bread just to make into crumbs or croûtons), so I don't turn my not so great bread into crumbs. We go ahead and eat it/them. They just aren't as good. Usually only eat those ones toasted.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:37 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It sounds like no one is actively using the new mix. When you find something that works, you stay with it. I will try the white bread using the #4 since the wheat version has worked so well.

I have to make another order to netrition first. Should have looked at the amount of "flours" in the recipes the first time I ordered. But then, who really thought this would be GOOD LC bread!
Old 10-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

I'm convinced #4 is the real deal. Even tho I screwed it up, it was still BY FAR the best loaf I've produced and it tastes terrific; the bran really adds to it. I won't make another loaf until I finish this one. It's just me, so it might be a week or so. I'll use up the rest of Kevin's mix making muffins and cake n' stuff. Thanks so much for being soooo persistent, DrJlo!
Old 10-07-2010, 04:13 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

I made a loaf of my tweaked #4 this morning!!! Not the prettiest loaf of bread, but not the ugliest I've ever made either. I rarely manage to make pretty loaves anymore. They are usually higher at one end than the other, among other things. But they taste good!!!
I bought a larger bread pan awhile back so my loves would be bigger (more slices, less carbs). So I don't get a really tall rise, and I have to keep reminding myself that it is a larger loaf. I love it, but actually wish it were just a tad narrower (not a lot), and a little longer. But I like it much better than the others I had. (It was really hard for me to convince myself to buy it, cause I had so many bread pans. But I'm glad I did.)

I always keep some of Kevin's new flour mix mixed up. Tho I couldn't remember just what I use it for when asked, I do use it. I just don't use it to make my bread. I just like the other recipe (my tweaked #4) better.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:01 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Oh, I WILL make up a supply of #4, but I only have enough Carbalose left for 1 or 2 more loaves. When I get my next order tho, I'll fix my batch up just like I did with Kevin's "last" mix. I do make cakes and muffins with that, and I've had excellent results. I don't make low carb cookies. I send out a pretty massive Christmas Cookie shipment to several relatives and I really enjoy doing that. I have 3 recipes I repeat every year, and I spend the whole year looking for 3 new ones to include and surprise them with. Maybe I should slip in at least one low carb and see if they even notice!

Thank you, crazywoman, for your encouragement! It helps a lot!

Sharon

PS: Are you also devoted to glass loaf pans? And, if so, do you think it makes a difference?
Old 10-07-2010, 06:07 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Sharon, I personally am not devoted to glass pans. I have one glass loaf pan, but I found it too small for me personally. I'm pretty sure it is the same size Kevin said he uses. I also have a silicone loaf pan, which I used to use. 4"WX9 1/4"LX2 1/2"T Had just as good a result I thought with it, as with the glass one. It was/is just too narrow. It makes very small slices of bread. (the bottom is just over 3"wide) The one I bought awhile back that I mentioned is metal. (The black slick baking surface. Not Teflon.) 5"WX10"LX3"T While I said the 4 " was too narrow, the metal one is just a tad wider than I'd like. I guess my ideal would be 4 1/2" wide, and at least the 10" long if not 11". I felt lucky to even find the 5X10 one. It is a nice heavy baking pan. These measurements are at the top of the pan. I'm not sure where they usually measure. The bottoms are significantly smaller.

I wish I had your love & enthusiasm for baking cookies Sharon!!! I sure don't. I hate to cook, and hate to make cookies. My daughter was our cookie baker from the time she was fairly young. She was good at it, I was/am not. (I wish I liked to cook!!!)

Making up the 5 times recipe of my bread mix is a chore (and takes a big bowl), but it is so nice to be able to just go grab a bread mix, and mix up my bread. I have 2 packages left. So I'll be having to make another big batch soon. I have a Food Saver, and vacuum seal the bags. I even use the empty bags which the flours come in for some of my bags. They do not always vac seal, but some times they do. Those that I see aren't going to, I just smoosh out as much of the air as I can, and use them first. (I do sometimes have to add more flour while kneading. I use either the 5000 or some of Kevin's flour mix.)
Old 10-08-2010, 07:46 AM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Measuring scoops have made me dislike making cookies a good deal less (and made me somewhat better at it).
Old 10-08-2010, 08:26 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perdita
Stats: 215/150/150
WOE: LC/IF
Quote:
Originally Posted by slbbw View Post
Billie, is this what you call Kevin's #4?

1 cup Calorie Countdown milk
2 Large eggs
2 Tbs butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 cup wheat protein isolate 8000
1 3/8 cup carbalose
1 1/8 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
1/8 cup Resistant Wheat Starch 75
1 Tbs not/Sugar
1/8 tsp splenda quick pack
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sugar
1 packet rapid rise yeast
¾ cup wheat protein isolate 5000

Thanks!

Does anyone know why this lists WPI 5000 two different times in different amounts?
Perdita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

That 3/4 cup at the end of the recipe should read "as needed" I guess. It's to be used if your dough is too sticky. This recipe is on Kevin's page (without crazywoman's tweaks, of course) Revised Simple White Bread
Old 10-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

When I make this bread, I have been subbing bran and flax meal for some of that extra 3/4 cup of the 5ooo, but not just leaving it out as an add in. I think in the tweaking of the original recipe there was some controversy on how much water to start with and the extra 5000 was to counter that and to help with rising.

I guess what I am saying is, I add it to start with minus the amount of bran/flax and it works. But I'm not sure if I would know what was too wet or too dry.

Not sure if I'm making any sense.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:58 AM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
OK,this is a combo of Kevin's post #247 with crazywoman's hints on adding bran and Kevin's hints on working the dough.

Dr J's Crazy Kevin Bran Bread

1/4 c. cream
3/4 c. water
2 eggs
2 T. butter
1/2 t. salt
2 T. wheat protein isolate 8000
1 3/8 c. carbalose flour
1 1/4 c. + 2T wheat protein isolate 5000
2 T. resistant corn starch 260
1/2 c. wheat bran
1 1/2 t. sugar
2 T. Splenda
2 t. baking powder
2 1/4 t. rapid rise yeast

Mix all the ingredients then let the dough rest for 20 min. for the gluten to develop.

Knead for 20 min.

Place in a glass, greased loaf pan to rise. I put it in a "warmed" oven and let it rise 50 min. I left it in the oven and turned it on to 350 and baked for 30 min.

I think I could have made 2 loaves.
Or 1 loaf and a few buns.

I did the mix, rest, knead in my bread machine.

I came up with 47g net carbs for the whole loaf and 15-18 slices, so about 3 carbs per slice.

I made another loaf yesterday and I decreased the wpi to 1 cup and added 1/2 cup of flax meal. I used the largest loaf pan I had and it still rose 3 inches over the top of the pan. I will make a few buns AND a loaf next time. The loaf won't fit in my ziplock bags.

I also added 1/2t. of vanilla ext and it really added that depth or flavor I was looking for!

Next loaf I will add sunflower seeds and sesame seeds.

I Kevin. I wish he would come back and get his pats on the back.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:44 AM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Quote:
I made another loaf yesterday and I decreased the wpi to 1 cup and added 1/2 cup of flax meal. I used the largest loaf pan I had and it still rose 3 inches over the top of the pan. I will make a few buns AND a loaf next time. The loaf won't fit in my ziplock bags.

I also added 1/2t. of vanilla ext and it really added that depth or flavor I was looking for!

Next loaf I will add sunflower seeds and sesame seeds.

I Kevin. I wish he would come back and get his pats on the back.

Looks great!
I want to try this again! What size pan did you use?
I miss Kevin also! Does anyone know what happened to him?
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:42 AM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The pan I have is 9 1/2"L x 5"W x 2 1/2"H.

That is the top of the pan.