Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Chocolate Pecan Torte (Cake). (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/690762-chocolate-pecan-torte-cake.html)

CarolynF 09-12-2010 11:59 AM

Chocolate Pecan Torte (Cake).

I believe this is a Laura Dolson recipe, but it makes the best chocolate cake ever..very moist and nommie.

I made this in a 9 inch round cake and cooked it exactly for 25 minutes and it was perfect.

Chocolate Pecan Torte (Cake).

Ingredients:
2 cups pecans
1/3 cup cocoa
1 t baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
1/2 cup (I stick) butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup erythritol (optional)
Artificial sweetener equivalent to 1 cup sugar I use zero-carb liquid sweeteners .
1/2 cup water

Preparation:
Heat oven to 350 F. Grease a 8 or 9" round pan or springform pan.

1) Process pecans in food processor - pulse until they are meal - but they won't get quite as small as corn meal.

2) Add the rest of the dry ingredients and pulse again. (Note on erythritol: You can do this recipe with all artificial sweetener, but I've begun experimenting with partial erythritol, with success. I haven't tested all different combinations yet, though - it may be that more erythritol is even better.)

3) Add the wet ingredients and process until well-blended.

4) Pour into pan and bake. The exact time will vary with the pan. Start checking at about 25 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

5) Cut when cool. If desired, serve with homemade whipped cream and/or chocolate sauce.

Nutritional Information: Each of 8 servings has 2 grams of effective carbohydrate plus 4 grams of fiber, 6 grams of protein, and 334 calories.

Charski 09-12-2010 01:49 PM

I've made one very similar to this before, and maybe it WAS this recipe, and it was excellent! Thanks for the reminder, Carolyn!

graciejean 09-12-2010 01:50 PM

WOW that sure sounds good

KOO 09-12-2010 02:05 PM

Putting in my favorites to try. Thanks!

fixin 09-12-2010 02:34 PM

How much liquid sweetener does that amount to? You still use the half cup of water with the liquid sweetener? I'd like to try this.

CarolynF 09-12-2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixin (Post 13885577)
How much liquid sweetener does that amount to? You still use the half cup of water with the liquid sweetener? I'd like to try this.

The liquid sweetener isn't Davinci's..It's a very concentrated Splenda that
only requires droplets, so it doesn't add more liquid..You could use 1/2 cup of Davinci's instead of the water, then add more granulated Splenda to taste.

crazywoman-n-wy 09-12-2010 10:13 PM

So is that approx 1 1/4 cup sweetness equivalence?

fixin 09-13-2010 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF (Post 13886723)
The liquid sweetener isn't Davinci's..It's a very concentrated Splenda that
only requires droplets, so it doesn't add more liquid..You could use 1/2 cup of Davinci's instead of the water, then add more granulated Splenda to taste.

Thanks for that.

judytab 09-13-2010 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF (Post 13885115)
I believe this is a Laura Dolson recipe, but it makes the best chocolate cake ever..very moist and nommie.

Carolyn, thanks for posting this with your personal review. I have seen it on Laura's website but knowing that you've tried it makes me want to make it. I've got a lot of pecans frozen from last year to use up before they go on sale again during this holiday season.

CarolynF 09-13-2010 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy (Post 13886852)
So is that approx 1 1/4 cup sweetness equivalence?

Well, it's always good to taste the raw dough before you put it in the oven..
Chocolate can be funky..But, I do believe it helps alot to combine e with
splenda..

Hmmmm...I was wondering if a person could make this a yellow cake using the pecans or almond flour and adding 1/3 of vanilla protein powder instead of the cocoa..???

crazywoman-n-wy 09-13-2010 04:39 PM

Thanks Carolyn, but what I was trying to find out was whether the recipe called for 1/1 cup E, plus the equivalent of Zero Carb to 1 cup of sugar, since it says optional on the E.
Or if when using the E you would adjust the amount of Zero Carb (or other sweetener.

How did you make it?

Tasting cake batter, etc before baking doesn't work for me. The sweetness always seems to change after backing.
And I know that sweetness levels for different people are different, but still I'm trying to figure out what the recipe actually says. One cup sugar equivalent or 1 1/4 cup. :confused:

Thanks!!!

The recipe looks really good.

CarolynF 09-13-2010 04:54 PM

Billie: I did the exact amount of E. I used my liquid Splenda and squirted about 1/2 of a dropper's worth in. I know that that doesn't help you much..

I think the recipe was 1/4 cup of E and 1 cup of Splenda..So, it would be a total of
1 1/4..E works with the Splenda to make things sweet..E, itself isn't that sweet sometimes.

crazywoman-n-wy 09-13-2010 07:48 PM

Thank you Carolyn! That answers my question. :)

I appreciate your reply!!! And your patience.

CarolynF 09-19-2010 01:56 PM

Made this again today, but used 2 cups of almond flour instead of the pecans..Just took it out of the oven and it looks great.

I'm going to frost it with a chocolate buttercream frosting..have to find it on here..

CarolynF 09-19-2010 02:04 PM

I found Lauren's:

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

Ingredients:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted organic butter, softened, OR 7 tablespoons nonhydrogenated shortening
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon erythritol, powdered, OR 1/4 cup xylitol, powdered
5-6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons half and half OR coconut milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pinch of sea salt
Good-tasting pure stevia extract, to taste

Optional addition for a glossy finish:
1 fresh organic egg yolk

Preparation:
Cream the butter in a small bowl until fluffy. Powder erythritol or xylitol in a coffee grinder or Magic Bullet for a minute or two, until extremely fine in texture (reminiscent of powdered sugar). Let sweetener settle in grinder before opening the top. Stir powdered sweetener into butter with a spatula, then beat until smooth. Slowly blend in the cocoa powder (unless you want to redecorate your kitchen), vanilla, and sea salt. Beat in the half and half and egg yolk, if using. Add stevia, starting with 1/16 teaspoon. You'll probably use less than 1/4 teaspoon. Just keep tasting and adjust sweetness to your lik

24Fan 09-19-2010 02:27 PM

This cake sounds good, Carolyn, thanks for sharing.

I've made Lauren's frostiing, it's killer and shiny :)

sjl330 09-21-2010 11:48 AM

How was the cake with the almond flour Carolyn? Do you have the carb counts for it and the icing?

I need to get busy and use some of my ingredients soon.

CarolynF 09-21-2010 02:05 PM

I am thinking each piece of 8 would have about 5 net carbs at the most. I don't use the powdered Splenda, so that saves a bunch of carbs..You could probably use 1/2 cup of Davinici's instead of the water and add less sweetener.

sjl330 09-21-2010 02:33 PM

Was it as good using the almond flour as the pecan flour?

sjl330 09-21-2010 02:33 PM

And which liquid sweetener do you use?

CarolynF 09-22-2010 01:36 PM

I think I liked the almond flour better..It made a smoother cake. I have that extra strong
liquid Splenda, so it doesnt' take much.

I just made an apple version and I did use the pecans in it, plus cinnamon and nutmeg,
and I heated the water and put in one envelope of the SF apple cider mix. I only added
2 chopped apples. I will do a cream cheese frosting for the top.

sjl330 09-22-2010 01:51 PM

Yum!!!

sjl330 09-22-2010 01:53 PM

How do u manage not to over eat this stuff? I'm almost afraid to make it b/c I'm afraid I'll eat the whole thing.

CarolynF 09-22-2010 03:12 PM

I portion it out and sometimes I freeze it..:)

I might have a piece of the cake for breakfast with coffee..then a small piece after dinner.

Oh..the apple cake takes about 45 minutes..

24Fan 10-03-2010 06:24 AM

I made this yesterday, using original recipe with the exception of E, as I am out. I just used the equivalent of liquid splenda to equal 1.25 cups of regular splenda.

Came out very good, love the crust on top, Carolyn. Or mine had one anyway :) lol I didnt' frost it just sectioned into serving pieces and froze them up.

CarolynF 10-03-2010 01:07 PM

Hmm..a crust on top? Hopefully, the underneath was nice and moist.

Honestly, I don't know what E does for baking, but it really helps..However, I always run mine through the Bullet before using it so it will dissolve easier.

24Fan 10-03-2010 08:17 PM

I liked it, Carolyn, was real moist and flavorful inside.

CarolynF 10-04-2010 06:28 AM

I'm glad, 24:)

Croton130 03-16-2013 05:09 AM

Great cake

I have made this "torte" a few times now and have been tinkering with the recipe a bit. I tried different nuts; separated the eggs and folded in the whipped whites; etc. My latest version was the best.

First of all I used a cup of self ground almond flour and a cup of self ground hazelnut flour.

For the liquid I started with an ounce of brandy, added 1T of fresh squeezed blood orange juice (yes it has some sugar but adds so little to each slice of cake) and then used water to bring the volume up to the one cup called for. I added IT of instant coffee to the liquid ingredients as well. I also added the grated rind of one blood orange. Finally I added 1T of sour cream.

I baked the "torte" in a 9" cake pan which had been buttered and then dusted with cocoa powder.

I think this is the best version I have made. Great cake"

P.S.: I grind slivered blanched almonds (or other nuts) in a clean coffee grinder, but the trick is to do it in stages so the nuts do not overheat and turn to butter. It takes a few minutes but is worth it. I grind each portion of nuts for a pulse or two and then transfer to a bowl. Then mix it up and repeat the process several times until I have very finely ground flour at a much lower cost than commercially available almond flour.

I have also been successful in using this very fine flour to make sponge cake following a traditional recipe but substituting this for the 1c of flour called for and using sucralose instead of sugar.

CarolynF 03-16-2013 07:00 AM

Croton..Thanks for your great version..:) I totally forgot about this cake..I have some
pecan meal, so I might do the 1/2 and 1/2 like you did with the pecan meal. Throw in some coffee and sour cream..Thanks.