Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Healthy Low Carb
flax crackers

anyone have a recipe - a fairly easy one I just got a gorgeous wedge of blue cheese and my mouth is watering!!!!!
Its me - WENDALINA is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oneoftwo
Stats: 146/120/120 (maintain 118-120max) 5'3.5"
WOE: Atkins/HCG one round to goal/JUDDD to maintain
I have made these before and they were so easy and good (used a shot glass to form round one's). I wonder if you could use flax instead of the almond flour?
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

Just found these too

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

Last edited by oneoftwo; 08-24-2010 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: add link
oneoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:00 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 177/168/150
WOE: Moderate LC - Atkins my way
Start Date: 6/1/2010
I do the basic recipe - 2 TBS of flax + 2 TBS of water, mix up, splatter on parchment, microwave for 2.5 minutes. Easy and delicious! I eat this as a cracker with natural almond butter for bfast everyday.
atkinsgirlinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

can i use wax paper until i can get out and get some parchment paper?
Old 08-25-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
NO, waxed paper will melt to your cracker!

Unless you LIKE waxed, flaxed crackers.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann Lytle
Wendalina this is the one I use the most, tweeked by Jennifer Elof (hope I spelled that right)...............Ann

QUICK CRISPBREAD CRACKER

This recipe began as the brainchild of Soobee of Lowcarbfriends and was tweaked by Beeb of LCF’s and then tweaked by yours truly to make it with less fiber so that fiber-sensitive folks can safely enjoy it every day if they want to do so. The crunch and having a medium on which to spread butter and crunchy peanut butter and low-carb fruit preserves makes this an awesome diet helper! Tastes real carby, has more flavor and is crispier than crispbreads – no kidding!!

1 egg white from large egg
1/3 cup ground almonds (75 mL)
2 tbsp golden flax meal (25 mL)
1 tbsp wheat bran, OR flax meal (15 mL)
1 tbsp water (15 mL)
1 SPLENDA® packet

Into two cereal bowls, separate egg yolk and egg white respectively. Save egg yolk for adding to eggs for scrambled eggs or an omelet. Beat egg white with fork until slightly frothy. In third cereal bowl, combine ground almonds, flax meal, wheat bran and SPLENDA®. Stir in egg white and water until nicely moist throughout. Spray regular dinner plate with nonstick cooking spray. I usually spray the inside circle, however, it is possible to make a thinner crispbread and spread it further. Make sure the dinner plate is liberally greased. Spread mixture with the back of a fork. The tines of the fork make appealing ridges that taste oh-so-crunchy due to enhancing the texture. Nuke in microwave oven 3 minutes, flip crispbread cracker and nuke another minute or minute-and-a-half until beginning to turn brown in spots. When cool enough to touch, break or use a scissors to cut it.

Nutritional Analysis: 1 serving, 4 crispbread crackers
249.3 calories; 10.2 g protein; 20.5 g fat; 3.3 g carbs

Helpful Hints: This is the basic recipe; however, one could add spices and/or Parmesan cheese for a different-tasting crispbread. Using flax meal instead of the wheat bran makes this a gluten-free crispbread cracker. To further reduce fiber: replace 1 tbsp of either golden flax meal or wheat bran with 2 tbsp (25 mL) ground almonds. It is possible to replace all the fiber with ground almonds this way (1 tbsp shy of 3/4 cup (175 mL) ground almonds and no added fiber). I can’t say enough about how much I like this recipe and also the original but the fiber is a bit much for me to have every day. Tell me I'm not the only one who likes this.

Thanks again, Soobee and Beeb - fun recipe!
Ann Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Lytle View Post
Wendalina this is the one I use the most, tweeked by Jennifer Elof (hope I spelled that right)...............Ann

QUICK CRISPBREAD CRACKER

This recipe began as the brainchild of Soobee of Lowcarbfriends and was tweaked by Beeb of LCF’s and then tweaked by yours truly to make it with less fiber so that fiber-sensitive folks can safely enjoy it every day if they want to do so. The crunch and having a medium on which to spread butter and crunchy peanut butter and low-carb fruit preserves makes this an awesome diet helper! Tastes real carby, has more flavor and is crispier than crispbreads – no kidding!!

1 egg white from large egg
1/3 cup ground almonds (75 mL)
2 tbsp golden flax meal (25 mL)
1 tbsp wheat bran, OR flax meal (15 mL)
1 tbsp water (15 mL)
1 SPLENDA® packet

Into two cereal bowls, separate egg yolk and egg white respectively. Save egg yolk for adding to eggs for scrambled eggs or an omelet. Beat egg white with fork until slightly frothy. In third cereal bowl, combine ground almonds, flax meal, wheat bran and SPLENDA®. Stir in egg white and water until nicely moist throughout. Spray regular dinner plate with nonstick cooking spray. I usually spray the inside circle, however, it is possible to make a thinner crispbread and spread it further. Make sure the dinner plate is liberally greased. Spread mixture with the back of a fork. The tines of the fork make appealing ridges that taste oh-so-crunchy due to enhancing the texture. Nuke in microwave oven 3 minutes, flip crispbread cracker and nuke another minute or minute-and-a-half until beginning to turn brown in spots. When cool enough to touch, break or use a scissors to cut it.

Nutritional Analysis: 1 serving, 4 crispbread crackers
249.3 calories; 10.2 g protein; 20.5 g fat; 3.3 g carbs

Helpful Hints: This is the basic recipe; however, one could add spices and/or Parmesan cheese for a different-tasting crispbread. Using flax meal instead of the wheat bran makes this a gluten-free crispbread cracker. To further reduce fiber: replace 1 tbsp of either golden flax meal or wheat bran with 2 tbsp (25 mL) ground almonds. It is possible to replace all the fiber with ground almonds this way (1 tbsp shy of 3/4 cup (175 mL) ground almonds and no added fiber). I can’t say enough about how much I like this recipe and also the original but the fiber is a bit much for me to have every day. Tell me I'm not the only one who likes this.

Thanks again, Soobee and Beeb - fun recipe!
Even though this is a great tweak on the original, I still believe the original is much better because of the fiber/calories and carb count and doesn't require any other special ingredients except the wheat bran, but that too can be subbed for all flax. If it's a flax cracker you are looking for this is the one!

Here it is: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...a-cracker.html

Last edited by Beeb; 08-25-2010 at 11:31 AM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:29 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
NO, waxed paper will melt to your cracker!

Unless you LIKE waxed, flaxed crackers.
good point... just want to make these but I dont have any parchment paper right now... any thing that can be subbd
Old 08-25-2010, 11:42 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I am not sure. I have a Splat mat. Sorry. Maybe someone else has an idea for you.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:44 AM   #10
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
I would almost say a cookie press gun so you don't have to try and spread the flax mix too much, and spray whatever microwavable surface you have really well with cooking spray might work.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:46 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Beeb I prefer the original also, but have day care children and they like this one better, so that's why I use this one more. And you're probably right Wendalina did say Flax, so should have sent her the other, don't be upset with me...............Ann
Old 08-25-2010, 03:05 PM   #12
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Lytle View Post
Beeb I prefer the original also, but have day care children and they like this one better, so that's why I use this one more. And you're probably right Wendalina did say Flax, so should have sent her the other, don't be upset with me...............Ann
Upset? NEVER!! I'm just so glad to see people using this great recipe from Soobee with everyone's tweaks! Glad the kids enjoy them! They are very luck to have a daycare provider who is feeding them healthy food!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:08 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Susan_C
Stats: 145/125/120
WOE: moderate carbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its me - WENDALINA View Post
good point... just want to make these but I dont have any parchment paper right now... any thing that can be subbd

Maybe Reynolds Wrap release non-stick aluminum foil would work?
Susan_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:54 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan_C View Post
Maybe Reynolds Wrap release non-stick aluminum foil would work?
hmmm I think I have some of this.... I will admit that I broke down and ate the blue cheese with celery sticks. But it was so amazing that I am going to have to try it with crackers:blush:
Old 08-25-2010, 09:30 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its me - WENDALINA View Post
hmmm I think I have some of this.... I will admit that I broke down and ate the blue cheese with celery sticks. But it was so amazing that I am going to have to try it with crackers:blush:
Umm, the parchment paper flax crackers recipe goes in the microwave, so uhm, the aluminum foil would not be a good idea!

For a quick flax cracker, I do the microwave 2 Tbs flax and water and to that I add parmesan and ranch seasoning. Reminds me of Wheat Thins. Tastes great and so quick and easy and almost no cleanup necessary!
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:17 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

That's good Beeb and I do try to feed them healthy, but mostly it's because if I have treats for day care and it's still in my house after 9 P.M. I'm probably going to cheat, so decided they eat what I can have, they get enough junk I'm sure at their houses.......grin........Ann
Old 08-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #17

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I make it very simple, but they are MUCH better with almond meal than flax.

1/4 cup of either (if it's almond meal add 1 Tablespoon flax)
salt
enough water to make a thinnish batter

pour into a silicone loaf pan
microwave on high about a minute and a half, then check the center GENTLY with your finger.
keep adding 20 or 30 sec until it's quite solid in the middle.
turn out on the cutting board and cut down the middle, and then into half the other way. cut each of these quarters into 2 or 3 crackers.
put them on a plate and microwave a bit at a time till they are crisp. every microwave seems different, so you need to just try it and remember the best for your oven.