Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 05:19 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 24Fan
Stats: from 2004 to 2006 lost 118 lbs. Maintaining
WOE: Atkins, low carb maintaining
Start Date: 2004
Zucchini muffins

Found this recipe when googling for a way to use up my zucchini. Very tasty recipe. Made'em yesterday and had one last night. Nice and sweet. I used cream instead of buttermilk and skipped the added pecans, as these are made with almond flour (I use almond meal exclusively, get it relatively cheap from my natural food store in bulk)

Zucchini Muffins:
(posted on web site called: Kalyn's Kitchen) 8/18/10

1 cup blanched almond flour (not the same as almond meal)
1/4 tsp. salt (I used fine grind sea salt)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon (I used Cassia Cinnamon from The Spice House)
1 large egg
1 egg white
1/3 cup Splenda (or sugar)
1 T brown sugar (or use 1 T more Splenda if you prefer)
1 T canola oil or grapeseed oil
1 T buttermilk (could probably use milk, but I haven't tried it)
3/4 cup grated raw zucchini, wring out moisture slightly and loosely pack into measuring cup
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350F/175C. Measure 1 cup almond flour into medium-sized bowl. (If flour has been stored in freezer, let it come to room temperature for 10-15 minutes.) Add salt, baking soda, and cinnamon to flour and use a fork to combine and press out any lumps.

Put 1 egg and 1 egg white into small bowl. Add Splenda and brown sugar and use a hand mixer to beat until the mixture has tripled in size, about 2-3 minutes. (You shouldn't beat it until the eggs begin to form peaks like meringue.) Gently stir in canola oil and buttermilk.

Wash zucchini and grate with large side of a hand grater. Squeeze water out of zucchini if it seem wet, then loosely measure out 3/4 cup of grated zucchini. (Zucchini doesn't have to be completely dry but shouldn't be dripping water.) Measure 1/2 cup pecans, then chop coarsely with chef's knife.

Stir the egg mixture into the dry ingredients, only stirring enough to barely combine, then gently fold in the zucchini and pecans. Spray 6 muffin cups (or muffin tin) with non-stick spray or oil, then divide mixture evently into cups.

Bake muffins about 45 minutes, or until top is browned and toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. (I was surprised they took that long to bake, but the batter is quite moist and dense and I really did bake them for 45 minutes.)
24Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2010, 08:57 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I know I'm a broken record on this, and no one has ever indicated they tried it, but... LOL

I put grated squash into my flax muffins every morning. It goes with all flavors, not just a traditional carrot/spice cake sort of thing like this. It adds low calorie bulk to the muffins, keeps them moist, and gets a good vegetable serving in to start the day, in a very low carb meal.

You can SEE the squash, but not taste it at all. My husband is fairly violently anti-zucchini, but he tolerates it fine in flax muffins.

I grate enough for 4-5 days in the food processor at one time. It keeps fine in the plastic produce bag I buy the squash in. My preference is an Asian variety of squash called mao gua, mao qua, or hairy melon. It looks like a large cucumber and is nicely dense and fairly bland. I peel these.

When I use any of the various American summer squashes, from zucchini, yellow zucchini, gray zucchini, round zucchinis in various colors, crookneck, or any color of pattypans *deep breath* I sometimes peel them and sometimes just grate them whole after paring off the ends. The skin tastes just fine, but it is more noticeable in the muffins, little green or yellow flecks, if you are trying to minimize that. Of course the skin area has a lot of nutrition, so better to use it.

Really, it doesn't matter if it's chocolate caramel muffins with peanuts on top or a nice raspberry muffin with cream cheese frosting, the grated squash makes them better!

Last edited by ravenrose; 08-20-2010 at 08:59 AM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 24Fan
Stats: from 2004 to 2006 lost 118 lbs. Maintaining
WOE: Atkins, low carb maintaining
Start Date: 2004
That's a great suggestion, RR...really they do, add moisture to any type of muffin I guess. I would never think to do that. I have about 2 squashes grated up right now in frig to use up LOL

I just sauteed onions and grated zuch to brown then added eggs to make a sort of omelet with parm cheese on top.

Many uses I guess for the little buggers
24Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SmileySue
Stats: 332/125, size 2 Maintaining since 3/08!!
WOE: Low carb and clean eating/whole foods
Start Date: 9/05
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
My husband is fairly violently anti-zucchini, but he tolerates it fine in flax muffins.

I keep forgetting to try this Ravenrose, so I'm glad you keep saying it! I've just added "squash" to my grocery list and I'm determined to remeber to make them this weekend. Thanks!!
SmileySue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:03 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: happylabs
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 1, 2010
Looks like a good recipe. I have been looking for one that I have all of the ingredients for. Going to make them this weekend.
happylabs is offline   Reply With Quote