Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Santa Fe Chicken Soup in the Crockpot -- so good! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/687685-santa-fe-chicken-soup-crockpot-so-good.html)

palegirl 08-19-2010 10:07 AM

Santa Fe Chicken Soup in the Crockpot -- so good!

This is so delicious I just HAD to share!

I made this the other night and have been eating it for lunch at work all week, it is outstanding!

1 1/2-2 lbs boneless skinless chicken (I prefer thighs)
1 jar of salsa
1 bottle of beer
1 8oz block of cream cheese

Brown the chicken (in bacon fat?) on the stovetop. (You can skip this step, it does improve flavor)
Put chicken in the crockpot, pour over jar of salsa and bottle of beer.
Cook on low all day while you're at work (for me it's 10 hours)
Before serving use two forks to shred the chicken (easy) and then add the cream cheese, stir and it will melt.

I add a little water when I reheat the soup to make it more soupey. Or you can use it as a taco or burrito filling with LC tortillas.

Charski 08-19-2010 11:13 AM

Mmmm, that sounds warm and yummy! It's similar to one I do but I use a jar of Tostitos Salsa con Queso cheese dip instead of the cream cheese.

Thanks for posting this one!

Beeb 08-19-2010 11:56 AM

WOW, gotta try this one! Looks like a great cold weather soup!!

Thanks!! :hugs:

DEEDLYNN 08-19-2010 07:08 PM

YUMMOOOOO...This sounds good! Definately will be trying it.

SugarPop 08-19-2010 08:52 PM

Yumm......This does sound good. Does the beer have to be in there?
B

Charski 08-19-2010 09:56 PM

You could use chicken broth instead. It won't taste quite the same though!

DEEDLYNN 08-20-2010 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarPop (Post 13808687)
Yumm......This does sound good. Does the beer have to be in there?
B

I routinely replace beer in recipes with Ginger Ale (actually diet Ginger Ale).

lisabinil 08-20-2010 05:10 PM

Made this today and used 2 1/2 lbs of chicken breasts, 1 bottle of beer, almost a whole 24 oz jar of medium salsa and 1 brick of cream cheese. We are having it with Mama Lupe's LC Tortillas-very delicious. Tomorrow I will add chicken stock to the leftovers for soup. I would advise using a medium or spicy salsa as I think it would be too bland otherwise. I love that this will make 2 meals. :cool:

verbqueen 08-20-2010 07:24 PM

Good heavens, but that sounds delicious!!

I wonder if you could do something similar with pork and green salsa, and get sort of a NM style green chili stew out of it?

palegirl 08-23-2010 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verbqueen (Post 13811869)
Good heavens, but that sounds delicious!!

I wonder if you could do something similar with pork and green salsa, and get sort of a NM style green chili stew out of it?

Yes! I have often made chili verde this way with either pork or chicken -- throw in the meat, add a jar of salsa verde, a bottle of beer, usually I also add cumin and garlic to it. It's absolutely delicious. I serve it with sour cream and cheddar cheese.

SmileySue 08-23-2010 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palegirl (Post 13818481)
Yes! I have often made chili verde this way with either pork or chicken -- throw in the meat, add a jar of salsa verde, a bottle of beer, usually I also add cumin and garlic to it. It's absolutely delicious. I serve it with sour cream and cheddar cheese.

I make it like this too. It's awesome!!

creativelc 09-20-2010 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palegirl (Post 13806876)
This is so delicious I just HAD to share!

I made this the other night and have been eating it for lunch at work all week, it is outstanding!

1 1/2-2 lbs boneless skinless chicken (I prefer thighs)
1 jar of salsa
1 bottle of beer
1 8oz block of cream cheese

Brown the chicken (in bacon fat?) on the stovetop. (You can skip this step, it does improve flavor)
Put chicken in the crockpot, pour over jar of salsa and bottle of beer.
Cook on low all day while you're at work (for me it's 10 hours)
Before serving use two forks to shred the chicken (easy) and then add the cream cheese, stir and it will melt.

I add a little water when I reheat the soup to make it more soupey. Or you can use it as a taco or burrito filling with LC tortillas.

We love this recipe. I have made it with a jar of pace salsa, and Gluten Free Beer. Used the chicken thighs. Added S & P, and browned the meat in a little EVOO first. The bacon grease also sounds tasty. I added crushed garlic, cumin and the juice of a lime instead of the cream cheese, and added some cilantro to the mix, after shredding the meat. We used it with the LC Tortillas. The variations with pork and green salsa are equally good, and the soup idea is perfect for leftovers. I like to use the mild salsa, and leave the option of adding hot sauce to individual servings. Or I add red pepper flakes on other occasions. This has become a favorite crock pot recipe. Thanks for posting it. Looking forward to trying other variations such as the Salsa Con Queso, or the cream cheese. Thanks for posting this!!!

jigglenomore 09-25-2011 12:37 PM

Bumping for Fall! Sounds so good! :clap:

slbbw 09-25-2011 02:53 PM

Thanks for the bump. :) I may be old school on this, but I would definitely use some sort of bone in chicken, perhaps skinless, maybe not. I just need the flavor kick. Of course, it's messy scooping out what you don't want at the end, but I just use a big ol' slotted spoon and go for it!

In any case, all I need is the salsa, and this is a go.. thanks tons. :)

Brendajm 09-27-2011 04:23 AM

This does sound yummy. I am really looking forward to trying this.. I might only use half a block of the cheese those as I have to avoid dairy. Or any other thoughts instead of cream cheese?

Star73 09-27-2011 04:27 AM

This sounds wonderful! I would have to forego the beer as it contains barley and I'm gluten free. I wonder how Rotel tomatoes would do in place of the salsa? I was looking for a great soup and none really sounded good until this one :jumpjoy:

Brendajm 09-27-2011 05:04 AM

Does beer contain wheat??

Star73 09-27-2011 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendajm (Post 15038865)
Does beer contain wheat??

It contains barley which is gluten. You can buy G-free beer though. I just never have cause I never have liked beer anyway..

Beeb 09-27-2011 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendajm (Post 15038784)
This does sound yummy. I am really looking forward to trying this.. I might only use half a block of the cheese those as I have to avoid dairy. Or any other thoughts instead of cream cheese?

I'm thinking soft tofu may do the trick instead of the dairy? Or any of the dairy free cheese products they now sell? I will ask my Vegan daughter about this and get back to you. If I forget, send me a gentle tweak to remind me to ask her or post what I did find out! ;)

Tilly 09-28-2011 06:30 PM

Can you post the name of the beer you used? Not a beer drinker, so will look to see if I can buy one bottle. I know Trader Joes sells beer by the bottle, maybe they will have one low carb?

TBipp 09-28-2011 06:56 PM

For those of you that have made chile verde, what is a good brand of salsa verde for this recipe? I have never tried a store bought green salsa.

Thanks,

Teresa

Tilly 09-29-2011 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBipp (Post 15044536)
For those of you that have made chile verde, what is a good brand of salsa verde for this recipe? I have never tried a store bought green salsa.

Thanks,

Teresa

I use Trader Joes brand, love it! :yummy:

catkin 09-29-2011 08:43 AM

Change the ingredients a little!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendajm (Post 15038784)

You could try coconut milk and sub SF ginger ale for the beer (also add garlic, lime, cilantro and curry paste)--who knows, you might come up with a delicious Thai version! :)

CreekWatcher 09-29-2011 11:13 PM

subscribing

slbbw 09-30-2011 03:52 PM

Absolutely fandamntastic.

My tweaks:
Added a couple of chili's in adobo sauce
Added about a Tbsp of Chicken Base
Once chicken was cooked through, scooped it out and sliced/shredded.
Before returning it to the crockpot, I used immersion blender to smooth it all out.
Returned chicken.. yum!

For my non LC family, I added a little rice in each bowl and topped w/ tortilla strips.
For me.. I didn't need no steenking additions. It was wonderful. :)

Mobear 10-02-2011 03:51 AM

Sad

Sad to say, I don't really care for this soup. I used to have a beer once or twice a year :laugh: but stopped maybe 4 or 5 years ago. I've been on a soup kick for about 5 weeks, so yesterday I made this recipe.

Tried it last night and just don't care for the strong taste of beer :cry: The chicken tastes fine, I just don't care for the broth part. I'm thinking of adding chicken broth to dilute the taste. Don't really want to waste the recipe. Any thoughts on how I can rescue this?

One other thought I had was to take all the chicken out with a slotted spoon and just simmer that with some salsa and other veggies and toss the soup broth.

Suggestions appreciated!

Tilly 10-02-2011 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobear (Post 15052297)
Sad to say, I don't really care for this soup. I used to have a beer once or twice a year :laugh: but stopped maybe 4 or 5 years ago. I've been on a soup kick for about 5 weeks, so yesterday I made this recipe.

Tried it last night and just don't care for the strong taste of beer :cry: The chicken tastes fine, I just don't care for the broth part. I'm thinking of adding chicken broth to dilute the taste. Don't really want to waste the recipe. Any thoughts on how I can rescue this?

One other thought I had was to take all the chicken out with a slotted spoon and just simmer that with some salsa and other veggies and toss the soup broth.

Suggestions appreciated!

Did you see Catkin's tweak above? What beer did you use? I don't drink beer but once in a blue moon and remember that some have a really strong flavor to them.

Mobear 10-02-2011 04:12 AM

Tilly I didn't notice Catkins tweak. My concern with SF ginger ale is that most is made with aspartame and I thought that didn't do well if you heated it.

The beer I used is Coors Light. I didn't have much selection because most of the beer in the grocery stores here are sold in 6 or 12 packs. So, I had maybe 3 brands to choose from and I went with the Coors Light. Have to admit I was shocked last evening when I tried it and didn't like the beer taste :dunno:

Tilly 10-02-2011 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobear (Post 15052311)
Tilly I didn't notice Catkins tweak. My concern with SF ginger ale is that most is made with aspartame and I thought that didn't do well if you heated it.

The beer I used is Coors Light. I didn't have much selection because most of the beer in the grocery stores here are sold in 6 or 12 packs. So, I had maybe 3 brands to choose from and I went with the Coors Light. Have to admit I was shocked last evening when I tried it and didn't like the beer taste :dunno:

I don't want to purchase a whole 6 pack, wasted on me. But can you purchase Zevia? Made with stevia and sold through Netrition. I can find it locally at Whole Foods in single cans, if you have one of those stores nearby.

Star73 10-02-2011 06:03 AM

I'm making this today, but with hamburger meat, ginger ale, cream cheese, and Rotel and maybe some beef broth. I'm using some of the variables mentioned in this thread and making it my own. I have regular ginger ale as the store I went to doesn't carry SF, but for a whole 2 liter there are only 25 carbs and I won't be using but half. I'm hoping this will be good. It sure sounds good! :)