Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #211
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rayn
Stats: 162/158/135
Start Date: October 2010
I've made this twice now, and will probably make another batch this weekend, as it's really, really good, but thick and creamy enough that I don't eat a ton of it at once.

The first time I made it, I used Lindt 85% dark chocolate, Penzey's dutch cocoa, and Optimum Nutrition's French Vanilla Creme protein powder. That particular batch didn't firm up entirely, so it was more like cold globs of chocolate frosting (yeah, I am SO not complaining about THAT!).

For the second batch, I used unsweetened chocolate, the Penzey's dutch cocoa, and the Optimum Nutrition French Vanilla Creme powder, though I added more protein powder that time, maybe a cup or so. I also added a bit of guar gum powder to help thicken it. That batch was definitely firmer, and I was able to cut it into squares and store them in a baggie. The texture was a little gummier, probably from the guar.

Oh, if you're not stuck on having perfect edges on your slab o' fudge: line your pan with wax paper. Then when you want to cut your fudge, you can just lift out the paper and lay it flat.
Rayn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #212
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SugarFreeLowCarb
Stats: 145/130/120
Start Date: off and on since 2001
I made this using unsweetened chocolate and it turned out like the cold globs of chocolate frosting you are describing. I will try it again using an additional cup of Designer Whey Protein powder. I really liked the taste, but it was just too soft for me to call fudge. I also think it would make a great hot fudge sauce with a little less protein powder.
SugarFreeLowCarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #213
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bekki1
Stats: 172.1/156.2/150
WOE: HCG
Start Date: 4/9/12
Mine set. Minty cashew table fudge. It is very sweet/rich. So a little will go a long way for me. I used unsweetened squares and hersheys backing coco. I cut it in 42 squares and put it in a container in the fridge for those sugar cravings. Next time I will line the baking container with wax paper for easy removal. Thanks for my after dinner treat!
bekki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #214
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: WildflowerMama
Stats: 185.5/143.2/revised to 140
Start Date: Nov 2006
I made this and I thought it was fantastic!!! I used 100% unsweetened chocolate from Ghiradelli and Z Sweet (erythritol/stevia blend) and it was freaking fantastic!

I've never had boiled fudge before so I don't know what the consistency should be like but, mine was almost a super thick ganache consistency. Like I could have taken chunks of it and rolled it into balls for truffles. So, it held together perfectly, was so smooth and creamy and rich and thick. I absolutely could have cut it in squares but my DD and I just ate it by the spoonful.

I loved, loved, loved that it was super dark and not very sweet. My DD adored it! I felt great letting her eat it - high protein, healthy fat, super dark chocolate, no sugar......the perfect treat!

Losing weight is hard, but being fat is harder. Choose your hard.

Don't sit if you can stand. Don't stand if you can walk. Don't walk if you can run. Get Moving!
WildflowerMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:46 PM   #215
Major LCF Poster!

Quick question.....when you drain your cream, how much liquid are you getting?

I'm only getting about a teaspoon so, I'm wondering if it's even necessary?
Old 01-12-2011, 05:51 PM   #216
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildflowerMama View Post
Quick question.....when you drain your cream, how much liquid are you getting?

I'm only getting about a teaspoon so, I'm wondering if it's even necessary?
The last time I made this I didn't get any liquid from it, but the first time I got a lot?
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #217
Major LCF Poster!

I made I again tonight and didn't drain the can and it worked out great!
Old 01-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #218
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maru2
Stats: 170/145/135
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1/2007 restart 1/2010
Well I finally got around to making the fudge. I used about time whey protein. I used birthday cake and chocolate flavor, they were sample flavors that I got from the company. I must say they are very good especially considering they have zero carbs. The 2 of them measured a little over 2/3 cup. I can cut the fudge and eat it with my hands but I think it's still a little softer than most fudge. However, like everyone else has said it is a delicious recipe. I will make this again but I think I will use 3/4 cup of whey protein. Also, my cream didn't give up much liquid either.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:11 AM   #219
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
I am excited to try this fudge. Been having a craving! Thanks for sharing it, Beeb.
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:19 PM   #220
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape View Post
I am excited to try this fudge. Been having a craving! Thanks for sharing it, Beeb.
I can't wait for you to try it too Lauren, maybe you can help us come up with a solution to firm it up a little more.
maru2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:35 AM   #221
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
would adding a little cocoa butter with the chocolate help firm it up any?
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:08 AM   #222

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2 View Post
I can't wait for you to try it too Lauren, maybe you can help us come up with a solution to firm it up a little more.
I, and several others, have NEVER had a problem with the firmness of this recipe and I would really hate to see it messed with because it is that good. I truly believe it is the type of protein powder one uses that makes it firm or not.

I will now suggest adding more protein powder to this recipe before you put it in the fridge if you feel it is to soupy to begin with.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:22 AM   #223
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
I, and several others, have NEVER had a problem with the firmness of this recipe and I would really hate to see it messed with because it is that good. I truly believe it is the type of protein powder one uses that makes it firm or not.

I will now suggest adding more protein powder to this recipe before you put it in the fridge if you feel it is to soupy to begin with.
I completely agree. I've made this multiple time and I firms up every single time.

I also think it's a bit odd to ask someone else to try to improve someone's recipe

If it's not working for you, have you read the entire thread and tried all the suggestions? Because, this is an awesome recipe as is. It firms up for the vast majority of people so, that would lead me to believe that the issue is not with the recipe but with the ingredients or method you're using.

Personally, I make it with unsweetened ghiradelli chocolate and, I find it thick, rich and luscious. It sets up beautifully! Also, I measure my protein powder - 2/3 cup as opposed to using "scoops" which cn vary from brand to brand.

Rather than asking someone to improve this recipe, maybe experimenting yourself would help you get the result you're looking for?
Old 01-16-2011, 11:31 AM   #224
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I completely agree. I've made this multiple time and I firms up every single time.

I also think it's a bit odd to ask someone else to try to improve someone's recipe

If it's not working for you, have you read the entire thread and tried all the suggestions? Because, this is an awesome recipe as is. It firms up for the vast majority of people so, that would lead me to believe that the issue is not with the recipe but with the ingredients or method you're using.

Personally, I make it with unsweetened ghiradelli chocolate and, I find it thick, rich and luscious. It sets up beautifully! Also, I measure my protein powder - 2/3 cup as opposed to using "scoops" which cn vary from brand to brand.

Rather than asking someone to improve this recipe, maybe experimenting yourself would help you get the result you're looking for?
Well I did read the whole recipe and If you read what I said you will see that I measured the protein powder and used a little over 2/3 cup. I also said I could cut my fudge and eat with my hands but felt it was still a little soft. All I care about here is helping people enjoy the foods in this woe as much as I do. My intention was to just be friendly... not to step on any ones toes. I apologize to anyone that I might have offended.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:41 AM   #225
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: piratewoman
Stats: 239.8/157.2/? 5'6 age:56 20W then-6 misses now
WOE: Atkins- very low carb
Start Date: August 2010
Quote:

This^^^^^^^^^ I have made it multiple times with no soupyness to it, it has firmed up beautifully for me every time. My DH LOVES this Fudge.
piratewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:04 PM   #226
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Well, I disagree. Everyone should feel free to do tweaks. I seldom see the same recipe done the same way twice on this board, and it is one of the things I love about it. Let everyone chime in with their changes. That's how we learn.
And Wanda, you are not necessarily doing anything wrong. All protein powders are different. And from what I have read on this thread, the amount of excess liquid in crema varies quite a bit. I didn't get any extra liquid from mine, which may be why it set up better.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #227
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
the only time mine doesn't set up enough to be cut into pieces is when i use the little SF hershey bars. it is more like spoon fudge when i use those, but OH SO WORTH it as it tastes every bit as good, if not better, off a spoon as it does holding it mine hand eating it as a piece. lol! taste-wise, i actually prefer it with the sf hershey bars as opposed to using the unsweetened chocolate. i don't mind dark chocolate, but more prefer the taste of milk chocolate.
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #228
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Well, I disagree. Everyone should feel free to do tweaks. I seldom see the same recipe done the same way twice on this board, and it is one of the things I love about it. Let everyone chime in with their changes. That's how we learn.
And Wanda, you are not necessarily doing anything wrong. All protein powders are different. And from what I have read on this thread, the amount of excess liquid in crema varies quite a bit. I didn't get any extra liquid from mine, which may be why it set up better.
Tweaks etc....are fantastic. What I found to be a bit unusual was her essentially asking someone else to "fix" the original poster's recipe on her own thread.

Absolutely post tweaks and variations! That's how we learn.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:38 PM   #229
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
The original WAS a tweak.
drjlocarb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #230
Major LCF Poster!

Exactly. She posted her tweak - that's fine.

But, what the OP didn't do was post saying that there was something wrong with the original recipe that needed to be fixed.

My only issue is asking someone to "fix" a recipe that most everyone is having success with. And to ask it be fixed on the person's thread.

There's nothing wrong with the recipe. In fact, it works too well - I can't stop making it.

I'm sorry someone is having problems with the fudge setting up but, that doesn't speak to whether or not the recipe works or needs fixing. Clearly it works - lots of us are making it regularly.

Anyway, speaking of tweaks - I don't get very much liquid from my table cream so, when I made it a few days ago, I chilled it but, didn't drain it and it worked perfectly.

So, thanks to this thread I made it again today and wanted to see what would happen if I not only didn't drain it but, if I didn't chill it and again, it worked perfectly!

I did, however, let it boil and extra minute thinking that in case there was extra liquid it would burn off???? Not sure if it made a difference but either way, it set up beautifully. This is my kids absolutely favorite treat. I make it with unsweetened chocolate and erythritol/chocolate liquid stevia and I can't keep out of it!
Old 01-16-2011, 01:55 PM   #231
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Exactly. She posted her tweak - that's fine.

But, what the OP didn't do was post saying that there was something wrong with the original recipe that needed to be fixed.
where exactly did I use the word fix?

Quote:
I also said this about the recipe
Quote:
I can cut the fudge and eat it with my hands but I think it's still a little softer than most fudge. However, like everyone else has said it is a delicious recipe
I have apologized and I don't know what more I can say other than I'll take 50 lashes with a wet noodle if that will help.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #232
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
AAACCCKKK!! No noodles! No Noodles!! NOT low-carb.

Everyone's methods vary, and ingredients vary wildly, so we're never gonna get 100% perfect results every time for every poster who tries this.

I love love love this recipe, have made it twice - the first time it set up somewhat more firmly than the second, however I doubled all the ingredients the second time, so that in itself may have contributed to the difference. It was, however, firm enough to cut and pick up to eat.

Even temperature/humidity makes a difference, especially with candymaking. My grandmother always warned me NOT to make any kind of candies when the humidity was high. Who knows?

Anyway my suggestion to those who may be having difficulty with this recipe is to try it just as written, using the same ingredients the OP used, and see if that works. If it doesn't set up, then I'd look to cooking times or methods, and/or ambient temp/humidity.

This fudge comes the very closest to my grandmother's old boiled fudge recipe, and DH adores the texture, so I'll keep right on making it the way I have made it - to me it's as close to perfect as low-carb, no-sugar fudge is ever gonna get!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:46 PM   #233
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rmyers23
Thank you beeb for this recipe. I just put 1/2 of a batch in the refrigerator; I can't wait to taste it. When the Table Cream came to a boil I stirred it for 7 minutes as instructed. By the 6th minute I can tell it was thickening. When I mixed the remaining ingredients in the batch it was thick. I lifted the batch with one big spoon into a 5x8 glass dish and pressed it out. I believe my Fudge will set to cut into squares.
rmyers23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:26 PM   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
The original WAS a tweak.
Yup and here is the original recipe posted by Taterhead: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...c-how-use.html. Read post #7.

Last edited by Beeb; 01-16-2011 at 08:30 PM..
Old 01-16-2011, 08:26 PM   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyers23 View Post
Thank you beeb for this recipe. I just put 1/2 of a batch in the refrigerator; I can't wait to taste it. When the Table Cream came to a boil I stirred it for 7 minutes as instructed. By the 6th minute I can tell it was thickening. When I mixed the remaining ingredients in the batch it was thick. I lifted the batch with one big spoon into a 5x8 glass dish and pressed it out. I believe my Fudge will set to cut into squares.
You are very welcome and let us know how it comes out!!!
Old 01-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #236
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rmyers23
They taste good but they were flat, I should have used a smaller dish. Yes, I was able to cut them into squars. Also, the combination of sweeteners I used was good, I am glade you all mentioned not to use splenda by it's self. Next time, I'm going to try lining the dish with wax paper it may make it easer to get out. My picky child even liked fudge.
rmyers23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #237
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Steak_Fanatic
Great recipe. Did you also make the peanut butter fudge? It looked real good too.
Steak_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:47 PM   #238
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Excellent excellent recipe!
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:46 AM   #239
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:

I think it depends on what type of chocolate, protein powder and sweetener is used, on how firm it will come out. So, try different types of those 3 things, and see which fudge comes out to your liking.

Remember some sweeteners have no bulk at all, like Splenda, some types of chocolate are softer, and I know people have different results with baked goods depending on which protein powder they use.

So it isn't so much the recipe, but the ingredients.

That's my 50 cents!! LOL
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:03 AM   #240
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekki1 View Post
Mine set. Minty cashew table fudge. It is very sweet/rich. So a little will go a long way for me. I used unsweetened squares and hersheys backing coco. I cut it in 42 squares and put it in a container in the fridge for those sugar cravings. Next time I will line the baking container with wax paper for easy removal. Thanks for my after dinner treat!
Since you used unsweetened chocolate, did you add extra sweetener?
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote