Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 11:09 AM   #121
Senior LCF Member
 
katlj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: South Florida
Posts: 235
Gallery: katlj
Stats: 142/134/btw. 127-125 5'7"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart (again *sigh*): 8/4/09
Any chances this might work using coconut oil bark instead of the SF Chocolate?
katlj is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2010, 12:05 PM   #122
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
dazygyrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,920
Gallery: dazygyrl
so, my report....

batch one with half lindt 85%/half sf hershey bars. mostly solid. not sure how it will stand up to room temp, i just checked it right out of the fridge. taste is good, could be sweeter, tho.

batch two with all sf hershey bars. this is spoon fudge...lol! BUT VERY TASTY spoon fudge. can't even cut this into pieces right out of the fridge. that's ok, will be fun to eat with a spoon. very creamy and tasty!

my question: can this recipe be made with basic heavy whipping cream rather than the canned table cream? what's special about that canned stuff?
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #123
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 12,062
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bees~1flower View Post
so, my report....

batch one with half lindt 85%/half sf hershey bars. mostly solid. not sure how it will stand up to room temp, i just checked it right out of the fridge. taste is good, could be sweeter, tho.

batch two with all sf hershey bars. this is spoon fudge...lol! BUT VERY TASTY spoon fudge. can't even cut this into pieces right out of the fridge. that's ok, will be fun to eat with a spoon. very creamy and tasty!

my question: can this recipe be made with basic heavy whipping cream rather than the canned table cream? what's special about that canned stuff?
I don't think the whipping cream will work. The Table Cream is like Sweetened Condensed Milk when it starts to "boil" down and whipping cream will not do that, I believe as it cooks down. Not sure what is so special about the table cream, maybe someone else will know this answer?
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:43 PM   #124
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Speck333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,168
Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Finally made this stuff. Fantastic! Set up beautifully and has the same flavor and mouth feel of regular fudge, only not as grainy.

I followed the original recipe using about 3 servings of super dark chocolate chips (not sf, but only 6 net carbs a serving of 30 chips) and a combo of erythritol and Splenda granular, plain protein powder, and chopped pecans.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #125
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 12,062
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
FYI..........I made these again with a can (halved the recipe) of Lite Table Cream and they came out wonderful!

I had the Lite sitting around so decided to give it a try. I prefer full fat because that is how I eat but it's good to know this turns out just as wonderful with the Lite Table Cream for those who watch calories/fat!

Enjoy!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #126
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
lindaokc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 3,158
Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/170/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Feb, 07
Linda, I had to order the Table Cream from the internet, couldn't find it around here, lol.
I made it and added some chopped pecans and hubby loved it. I had a tiny taste since I'm not eating sweets right now, but you can bet I will be making it in the future. Hubby said it's his favorite fudge recipe.
lindaokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #127
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 39,153
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
BTW don't know if I mentioned this upthread or not, if so forgive my repetition - but my stepson was here for 10 days and he went THROUGH that fudge! He is NOT a low carber, and doesn't much care about eating sugar (as in, he does eat it) but he said that was the BEST fudge he ever ate!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #128
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Central California
Posts: 188
Gallery: BrightAngel
Stats: High271/Now115/ MaintainInside 115-105 lb range
WOE: Lo-Cal/Lo-Carb
Start Date: Every Day
I'm planning to make this recipe within the next few days.
I bought the table cream and have it chilling in the refrigerator.

MY QUESTION IS about the artificial sweetener.
Ordinarily I use Splenda...sometimes granulated and sometimes liquid.
Although I've bought the other sweeteners from Netrition, they sit unused in my cupboard.

Anyway, I like things to taste "sweet" not "bittersweet".
Usually in recipes, I use Splenda just like Sugar.. 1 cup = 1 cup,
and although the "official hype" is that splenda is far sweeter than sugar,
my taste-buds don't pick that up.

Most fudge recipes seem to call for 1 cup of sugar or more,
so would it create a recipe problem in the Table Fudge, if I used that sugar equivant in Splenda?
Or does one of the other sweeteners taste sweeter and more like Sugar?

I look forward to hearing all your answers and suggestions.
BrightAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #129
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 39,153
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Splenda and chocolate are a notoriously bad combination - you end up with a bitter taste to the finished product. At least that has been my experience, along with numerous others on this board.

I think you could use PART Splenda, but I'd not use more than 1/4 of the sweetness required or you might suffer the same fate!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #130
Blabbermouth!!!
 
rosethorns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Puyallup. WA
Posts: 5,661
Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I always use another sweetner with chocolate. Splenda makes it bitter and uneatable.

Last edited by rosethorns; 12-01-2010 at 06:09 PM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:08 PM   #131
Blabbermouth!!!
 
rosethorns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Puyallup. WA
Posts: 5,661
Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
o sorry Charski we must have been doing it at the same time.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #132
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Central California
Posts: 188
Gallery: BrightAngel
Stats: High271/Now115/ MaintainInside 115-105 lb range
WOE: Lo-Cal/Lo-Carb
Start Date: Every Day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Splenda and chocolate are a notoriously bad combination - you end up with a bitter taste to the finished product. At least that has been my experience, along with numerous others on this board.

I think you could use PART Splenda, but I'd not use more than 1/4 of the sweetness required or you might suffer the same fate!
I know I don't want bittersweet fudge.
What do you mean I "might suffer the same fate"?
Are you talking about a bitter taste?

I don't know what you mean by 1/4 required sweetness?
Do you mean 1/4 splenda and 3/4 some other sweetner?
if so...what other sweetner and how much of it is equal to 3/4 of a cup of sugar?
Are most of them a cup of sweetner = cup of sugar like Splenda?

How would I get a combination of 1/4 splenda
and 3/4 some other sweetener..(not stevia..which I don't care for)...to equal 1 cup of sugar?
AND would that make my recipe taste as sweet as normal fudge?
I've never used erythitol or xylitol, but because many low-carb recipes call for them,
I bought some and have them in my cupboard.

Can someone give me the amount of a
combination of splenda and something-else-not-stevia, to use
that would make this fudge sweet like "real" fudge?

Thanks for your help.
I would really like to make this tomorrow.
BrightAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:22 PM   #133
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 12,062
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
My suggestion is you use the 6 tablespoons that is called for in the recipe and really not anymore. One cup of any sweetener would be WAY too sweet for this! This is a very sweet fudge with just the amount of sweetener that is required from the original recipe. Why, I'm not sure, but I find it very sweet as written and posted. Something happens in the boiling of the Table Cream that turns it from cream to a sweet LC condensed milk type ingredient.

If you want to use Splenda I HIGHLY suggest you only use 2 tablespoons of Splenda and 4 tablespoons of another sweetener making a total of the 6 tablespoons of sweetener. And again, believe me, this fudge is VERY sweet with just the 6 tablespoons of sweetener!

Splenda WILL make the finished fudge bitter, not sweet. This I know to be true with all the other chocolate/splenda mistakes I have made, liquid or granular.

Try using other sweeteners which you say you have with the 2 tablespoons of Splenda. I promise you will love the finished product.

HTH
__________________

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 12-01-2010 at 07:25 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:47 AM   #134
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 39,153
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightAngel View Post
I know I don't want bittersweet fudge.
What do you mean I "might suffer the same fate"?
Are you talking about a bitter taste?

Yes, that's what I meant.

I don't know what you mean by 1/4 required sweetness?
Do you mean 1/4 splenda and 3/4 some other sweetner?

Yes - the equivalent to 1/4 of the sweetener called for in the recipe in Splenda, and the rest in something else.

if so...what other sweetner and how much of it is equal to 3/4 of a cup of sugar?

I used Xylitol and NuStevia NoCarbs blend in this recipe - my notes on it are on page 3, I think.

Are most of them a cup of sweetner = cup of sugar like Splenda?

Well, it depends - Erythritol is about 70 to 80% as sweet as sugar (or pourable Splenda) so my common "recipe" to equal one cup of sugar is one cup of Erythritol plus 1/4 tsp. NuStevia NoCarbs blend. Other sweeteners differ somewhat in their sweetness compared to sugar, so you need to know the sweetening properties of what you're commonly using.

How would I get a combination of 1/4 splenda
and 3/4 some other sweetener..(not stevia..which I don't care for)...to equal 1 cup of sugar?
AND would that make my recipe taste as sweet as normal fudge?

As I mentioned above, I used the xylitol/stevia combo - which did give me a sweetness equivalent to "normal" fudge, at least to my tastebuds AND those of my husband and stepson!

I've never used erythitol or xylitol, but because many low-carb recipes call for them,
I bought some and have them in my cupboard.

Can someone give me the amount of a
combination of splenda and something-else-not-stevia, to use
that would make this fudge sweet like "real" fudge?

Thanks for your help.
I would really like to make this tomorrow.
What Linda says, although I'd probably use 1 tablespoon Splenda and 5 of erythritol or xylitol, myself. I don't take many chances with Splenda and chocolate combined - I prefer to keep the Splenda at a minumum, or not use it at all.

Also be aware, if you're not already, that xylitol is highly toxic to dogs so if you have dogs in the house make sure anything with X and/or the package itself is well out of reach.

As for the stevia - there are so many brands of it - and I used to not care for it myself, until I finally tried the NuStevia NoCarbs blend - I love that stuff! That's actually what I use in this fudge, along with the xylitol. The end result, in my opinion, was perfect. I really love that NuStevia blend for my baking/candy purposes - it gives just enough sweetening synergy to the other sweetener used to make the results very very close to normal, if not exceeding normal in terms of the finished product - i.e., we all thought this fudge was BETTER than any "normal" fudge we've ever eaten - which is pretty high praise from my 29 year old stepson, who does NOT do low carb and always looks at me like I'm trying to poison him when I give him something like that fudge! LOL!
__________________
It's easy to be miserable. Being happy takes more work. ~~from Ondine, the movie~~

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:31 AM   #135
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
dazygyrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,920
Gallery: dazygyrl
i used xylitol and ezsweetz and the combo was great. i used 1/4 cup xylitol and 16 drops ezsweets.
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #136
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Tweaker Geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 3,417
Gallery: Tweaker Geek
After a couple days in the freezer the fudge was still too soft to hold without it melting in your hand. However, I let it soften to room temperature and mixed it up nice and smooth, made a chocolate cake and used the fudge as frosting. It really makes a wonderful frosting and tastes great!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:30 PM   #137
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Soobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,465
Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Great idea, Tweaker Geek.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:18 PM   #138
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
drjlocarb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,276
Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
What would I have to add to unsweetened bakers chocolate to make it sf milk choc to sub into this recipe?
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:35 AM   #139
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
dazygyrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,920
Gallery: dazygyrl
FYI....HWC does NOT work! lol! it reduces down nicely, but does not play nice after getting all the other ingredients added...namely the protein powder. stayed grainy and separated slightly.
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:57 AM   #140
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Central California
Posts: 188
Gallery: BrightAngel
Stats: High271/Now115/ MaintainInside 115-105 lb range
WOE: Lo-Cal/Lo-Carb
Start Date: Every Day
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bees~1flower View Post
i used xylitol and ezsweetz and the combo was great.
i used 1/4 cup xylitol and 16 drops ezsweets.
I made the fudge.
Stored the cans upside down in my refrigater overnight;
drained away all the liquid that would come out;
boiled it a full 8 minutes...just to be sure;
used the sweetening combination quoted above;
used 2 chocoperfection milk chocolate bars (1.8 oz each);
used 2/3 cup Designer Vanilla Protein Powder.

So...........after 4 hrs
my fudge hardened enough to separate the sqares,
and they've been in the refrigerator overnight.
I can pick one up,
It is very smooth and not grainy,
but even cold it is soft and melty enough to stick to my fingers,
and I think it will melt outside the refrigerator.

The taste is good....but ...
isn't quite what I expect Fudge to taste like,
has a sort of "strange" flavor.
I've never used xylitol or the brand "ezsweets" before,
so I don't know if that's it or if it is just the entire combination.
It is NOT too sweet...
it's sweet enough, but in fact, it COULD be sweeter.

Although I occasionally have dark chocolate,
I wouldn't choose my FUDGE to be dark chocolate,
and I believe I used the best sugar-free milk chocoate available.

The way I expect Fudge to taste is like the result of the recipe
on the marshmello jar...canned milk, chocolate chips, sugar etc,
or when I buy it,
the same only lighter and richer - made with whipping cream.
So, it is probably not surprising that it doesn't seem "right".
I did buy some S/F fudge made with malitol at the County Fair this year,
and it DID taste like "real" fudge.
Before now, that is my only exposure to S/F fudge.

I cut it into 60 of the smallest pieces I've ever seen...
they turn out about 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch x 1 inch,
which are far too small to wrap individually,
so I plan to store them in the freezer in a plastic container.

Each square is 37 calories,
which is about the same as a square
of chocoperfection, or mini S/F Hershey,
but both of those S/F chocolate candies are twice the size
of these S/F fudge pieces.

So That's my current Experience.
I'd love to hear Feedback, Comments or Suggestions
from those of you who've also made the Fudge.
BrightAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:16 AM   #141
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
dazygyrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,920
Gallery: dazygyrl
if you want more of a milk chocolate style fudge use a bag of the little SF hershey milk chocolate bars. one bag = 3oz.
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:53 AM   #142
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 39,153
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
BrightAngel, that was a good review!

And you're most definitely right, your idea of what fudge, REAL sugar-laden fudge, should be, will color your perception of THIS fudge.

Since my Grandma made boiled fudge, with Karo, sugar, unsweetened chocolate, and I don't know what all else, it was dark, sometimes set up and sometimes didn't, but when it did it had the exact texture of this fudge and tasted nearly identical. So for ME, this IS fudge.

If you're used to and like the marshmallow cream fudge, then this will most likely disappoint you.

EZSweets is still sucralose (Splenda) and as has been mentioned a few times already, it can get a funky and/or bitter aftertaste with chocolate. Some folks are more sensitive to that than others. I detected NO aftertaste of ANY kind using Xylitol and NuStevia, nor did my ultra-picky stepson.

As with all recipes, no two people are likely to make this exactly the same - conditions and techniques will vary, as will ingredients. Some things others like I detest (like the pumpkin sausage soup, BARF! ) so there's that entered into the equation as well!

I am about to make a double batch today. DH has been asking for it, which for him says something, he is not a big chocoholic and most especially with dark chocolate. I am gonna add some chopped pecans to this batch.

Hope it turns out as well as the first time because it wasn't at all too soft, although I can imagine if it sat at room temp for any length of time it WOULD soften up some.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:34 AM   #143
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
drjlocarb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,276
Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
What would I have to add to unsweetened bakers chocolate to make it sf milk choc to sub into this recipe?
Anyone?
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #144
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 12,062
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightAngel View Post
I made the fudge.
Stored the cans upside down in my refrigater overnight;
drained away all the liquid that would come out;
boiled it a full 8 minutes...just to be sure;
used the sweetening combination quoted above;
used 2 chocoperfection milk chocolate bars (1.8 oz each);
used 2/3 cup Designer Vanilla Protein Powder.

So...........after 4 hrs
my fudge hardened enough to separate the sqares,
and they've been in the refrigerator overnight.
I can pick one up,
It is very smooth and not grainy,
but even cold it is soft and melty enough to stick to my fingers,
and I think it will melt outside the refrigerator.

The taste is good....but ...
isn't quite what I expect Fudge to taste like,
has a sort of "strange" flavor.
I've never used xylitol or the brand "ezsweets" before,
so I don't know if that's it or if it is just the entire combination.
It is NOT too sweet...
it's sweet enough, but in fact, it COULD be sweeter.

Although I occasionally have dark chocolate,
I wouldn't choose my FUDGE to be dark chocolate,
and I believe I used the best sugar-free milk chocoate available.

The way I expect Fudge to taste is like the result of the recipe
on the marshmello jar...canned milk, chocolate chips, sugar etc,
or when I buy it,
the same only lighter and richer - made with whipping cream.
So, it is probably not surprising that it doesn't seem "right".
I did buy some S/F fudge made with malitol at the County Fair this year,
and it DID taste like "real" fudge.
Before now, that is my only exposure to S/F fudge.

I cut it into 60 of the smallest pieces I've ever seen...
they turn out about 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch x 1 inch,
which are far too small to wrap individually,
so I plan to store them in the freezer in a plastic container.

Each square is 37 calories,
which is about the same as a square
of chocoperfection, or mini S/F Hershey,
but both of those S/F chocolate candies are twice the size
of these S/F fudge pieces.

So That's my current Experience.
I'd love to hear Feedback, Comments or Suggestions
from those of you who've also made the Fudge.
NOTHING is going to taste like it's high carb cousin and us LCers need learned to except this if we want a "close" taste, feel, etc to the high carb goodies we like.

I have made this fudge several times, and even made the last one with a Lite Table Cream and I have never had a problem with this setting up or not being firm. I can not stress this one step in this recipe enough: IT NEEDS TO BE BOILED AT LEAST THE 7 MINUTES (I have done 8 or 9 at times) FOR THIS IS SET UP RIGHT. There is NO way around this step, sorry.

I have left this out on the counter (by mistake) once and it still was firm. It is sweet enough for me, but that is me. Others need more sweetener than I do, it seems. I do NOT use Splenda in this recipe at all, found out the hard way that chocolate and Splenda (granular or liquid) does not mix well. I used a combo of other sweeteners and never the same combo every time but have used all the other sweeteners mentioned on here without a problem. ONLY time I got a after taste was when I did use the Splenda even though it was only 1 tbs.

My 60 squares are 1 x 1. As you see in my picture, they are a nice size.

All I can say is when this recipe is done EXACTLY as written it has gotten raved reviews. I think this is one of those add but don't tweak kind of recipes. Add nuts, peanut butter, SF crushed up Peppermint Candies, etc., but leave the rest of the ingredients alone.

Just me observation, nothing more.

Last edited by Beeb; 12-03-2010 at 10:38 AM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:40 AM   #145
Blabbermouth!!!
 
piratewoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sanford NC by way of Columbia S.C. Go Gamecocks
Posts: 5,904
Gallery: piratewoman
Stats: 239.8/157.2/? 5'6 age:56 20W then-6 misses now
WOE: Atkins- very low carb
Start Date: August 2010
I loved it, my DH more than I. I had 2 pieces he had the rest. Mine came out just like Linda's did, nice and firm. I will be making this again.
piratewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:47 AM   #146
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Central California
Posts: 188
Gallery: BrightAngel
Stats: High271/Now115/ MaintainInside 115-105 lb range
WOE: Lo-Cal/Lo-Carb
Start Date: Every Day
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
I have never had a problem with this setting up or not being firm.
I can not stress this one step in this recipe enough: IT NEEDS TO BE BOILED AT LEAST THE 7 MINUTES FOR THIS IS SET UP RIGHT.
There is NO way around this step, sorry.

I have left this out on the counter (by mistake) once and it still was firm.
It is sweet enough for me, but that is me.
Others need more sweetener than I do, it seems. I

My 60 squares are 1 x 1. As you see in my picture, they are a nice size.

All I can say is when this recipe is done EXACTLY as written it has gotten raved reviews
I am not putting your recipe down.
Just reporting what I did, and what results I got.

Taste is Subjective, and each of us can reasonably differ.

However, whether or not fudge is firm
and the actual size of the pieces is Objective.
What is, simply is.

Before I made this recipe, I read, and re-read this Thread, again and again.
Several times the Thread said BOIL for the full 7 minutes.
I DID THAT. I began timing AFTER I saw the rolling boil,
and I boiled it at a rolling boil for 8 minutes, constantly stirring while boiling.
I measured everything and
I followed the directions EXACTLY as I posted.
I am merely accurately reporting the results I got.

To divide a 5 x 7 pan into 60 pieces,
you have to make 10 x 6 squares.
Simple math will show that 60 1x1 inch squares cannot come from a 5" x 7" pan.
However, I didn't do the math, just cut the pieces,
and when I saw how small they were I got out a ruler and measured them.
They were 1/2 inch deep, 1/2 inch wide, and 1 inch long...

AND
of course, they didn't look big like your picture.
I thought maybe you put them on a tiny plate or something
to make them look larger in your picture.
Then I thought...
Perhaps your picture was taken after you cut 30 or 15 (not 60) squares from 5'x7' pan,
as that division would possibly make pieces 1 x 1 inch or larger.

Other than that, I just don't know what to say.
What happened is what happened.

Last edited by BrightAngel; 12-03-2010 at 11:49 AM..
BrightAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #147
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 12,062
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightAngel View Post
I am not putting your recipe down.
Just reporting what I did, and what results I got.

Taste is Subjective, and each of us can reasonably differ.

However, whether or not fudge is firm
and the actual size of the pieces is Objective.
What is, simply is.

Before I made this recipe, I read, and re-read this Thread, again and again.
Several times the Thread said BOIL for the full 7 minutes.
I DID THAT. I began timing AFTER I saw the rolling boil,
and I boiled it at a rolling boil for 8 minutes, constantly stirring while boiling.
I measured everything and
I followed the directions EXACTLY as I posted.
I am merely accurately reporting the results I got.

To divide a 5 x 7 pan into 60 pieces,
you have to make 10 x 6 squares.
Simple math will show that 60 1x1 inch squares cannot come from a 5" x 7" pan.
However, I didn't do the math, just cut the pieces,
and when I saw how small they were I got out a ruler and measured them.
They were 1/2 inch deep, 1/2 inch wide, and 1 inch long...

AND
of course, they didn't look big like your picture.
I thought maybe you put them on a tiny plate or something
to make them look larger in your picture.
Then I thought...
Perhaps your picture was taken after you cut 30 or 15 (not 60) squares from 5'x7' pan,
as that division would possibly make pieces 1 x 1 inch or larger.

Other than that, I just don't know what to say.
What happened is what happened.
Wow, sorry you took my post as me trying to defend my recipe, which is actually a tweaked recipe from another thread called Crema Media that I believe I mentioned in my first post. I have done other recipes and not have them come out the way they looked or tasted by the OP, also or by the other posters on a recipe thread. I guess it was your detailed findings to the negative that made me want to clarify the recipe and how it was done by me. Like so many of us on here who find a great recipe and share it, we tend to want everyone to love it as much as we do. Seeing someone having a problem with a recipe or it just not "tasting/looking" the way we have had it come out tends to make us (me) want to "defend" it, as you put it.

Sad to hear you didn't have good result with this recipe and for the record you are right, I did use the 5 x 7 pan and cut 30 pieces but because I made only half the recipe, which I think I mention in one of my posts, and the plate used in my picture is a small dinner plate. I wrote the size of the container to hold this fudge as written in the original recipe making a full recipe, not a half a recipe as I do. But again, I still use the same size pan, full or half recipe, for my fudge

I see where I stated I got 60 pieces in my last post and this was a typo. My bad and sorry for this!

Hope you find a fudge recipe you will enjoy as much as several of us have enjoyed this one here or maybe try this one again sometime and see what happens.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:29 AM   #148
Major LCF Poster!
 
WildflowerMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Desperate for Fall
Posts: 1,401
Gallery: WildflowerMama
Stats: 185.5/143.2/revised to 140
Start Date: Nov 2006
Since splenda is out, are most people using either erythritol or xylitol with touch of stevia extract?

I made some "Hershey's" syrup with erythritol and it crystallized something awful! Has anyone had a problem with erythritol crystallizing in this recipe?
WildflowerMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:30 AM   #149
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 39,153
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
My second batch of this came out really well too, although somewhat softer than the first batch - which I attribute to not following my Grandma's rule - "Never make candy on a humid or rainy day!" It was threatening to rain so I am gonna say that the increased humidity in the air caused it to be ever-so-slightly less firm than the first batch.

I also doubled the batch (4 cans of table cream), increased the boil time to 8 minutes, and used Villars chocolate bars (2 of them, 3.5 ounces each) but otherwise kept the recipe the same (doubled though) and added some chopped pecans. Sure is good!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:01 AM   #150
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
dazygyrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,920
Gallery: dazygyrl
weird to hear others are having trouble with esweets...mine tastes just fine. the one i made with a bag of the sf hershey milk choc bars literally tastes like "sugar" fudge.
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:23 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.