Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011, 05:47 PM   #271
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
What are most people using for the chocolate in this recipe? I used half Hershey's chocolate chips SF and half 60% cocoa chips which do have a little sugar in them but my stomach could not stand all SF chips that have Maltitol and Maltitol chips is all I had. I don't think I'm going to like it as well with all the dark chocolate in it. I think I would like it better with milk chocolate in it. Are there any good SF candy bars that would be good in this? I just stuck it in the frig to get hard (hopefully).

For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. (2 Chr 16:9 KJV)
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #272
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgpars View Post
What are most people using for the chocolate in this recipe? I used half Hershey's chocolate chips SF and half 60% cocoa chips which do have a little sugar in them but my stomach could not stand all SF chips that have Maltitol and Maltitol chips is all I had. I don't think I'm going to like it as well with all the dark chocolate in it. I think I would like it better with milk chocolate in it. Are there any good SF candy bars that would be good in this? I just stuck it in the frig to get hard (hopefully).
Personally I love dark chocolate, and not so much the milk chocolate, but we allhave different tastes. (My sister prefers the milk, and not much the dark).
The ChocoPerfection Bars sold here at Netrition would be good chopped up for it I'm sure. They don't contain Malitol! And the are quite good.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:26 PM   #273
Major LCF Poster!

Well my fudge has been in the frig for about two hours and does not seem to be getting hard. It really does not have a fudge consistency either. Looks like its going to be spoon fudge for me too. I cannot figure out why when I make it just like the recipe that it will not come out right. Very weird as I've never had any trouble following a recipe and getting things to come out right. Do you think we should use a candy thermometer and boil to a certain temperature and, if so, to what temperature should we boil it. I brought mine to a rolling boil and then timed it for 7 minutes and it still is not getting firm.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #274
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
Personally I love dark chocolate, and not so much the milk chocolate, but we allhave different tastes. (My sister prefers the milk, and not much the dark).
The ChocoPerfection Bars sold here at Netrition would be good chopped up for it I'm sure. They don't contain Malitol! And the are quite good.

Thanks. Maybe I'll order some of them but I hate to keep ordering new stuff all the time. It's going to break me.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:57 PM   #275
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Well my fudge has been in the frig for about two hours and does not seem to be getting hard. It really does not have a fudge consistency either. Looks like its going to be spoon fudge for me too. I cannot figure out why when I make it just like the recipe that it will not come out right. Very weird as I've never had any trouble following a recipe and getting things to come out right. Do you think we should use a candy thermometer and boil to a certain temperature and, if so, to what temperature should we boil it. I brought mine to a rolling boil and then timed it for 7 minutes and it still is not getting firm.
If I remember correctly it seems different protein powder can cause this recipe to not firm up. I used Designer Whey and had no problem, but Isopure made the fudge a little less firm.

HTH!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:22 PM   #276
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
If I remember correctly it seems different protein powder can cause this recipe to not firm up. I used Designer Whey and had no problem, but Isopure made the fudge a little less firm.

HTH!
Well, I had Designer Whey but wanted to finish up my Kroger brand first. It seems to be a very good quality, even as good as Designer Whey, but evidently it won't harden this fudge. :-(
Old 12-21-2011, 03:00 AM   #277
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
lqpars, I have made the fudge several times. I boil it until it is 190 on the candy thermometer. It usually takes 8-11 minutes for me.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #278
Major LCF Poster!

Well, an update on my fudge experiment. I did not check it any more until this morning and now it is firm enough to cut a piece and hold it in my fingers. It still does not look quite as firm as the original recipe but it is acceptable. Kinda gets on your fingers as you eat it but it is very good. Even my hubby thought it tasted like the real stuff. I'm going to get some good sugar-free chocolate bars to use with it though, maybe the ChocoPerfection bars when I can afford them. I wish they were not expensive. Does anyone know a retail store that carries them so I do not have to buy 12 at a time? Anyway, this is the best low-carb fudge I've tasted yet. Just hope I can get it firmer next time. I'd like it so you can at least hold it in your fingers to eat without getting chocolate all over your fingers.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:02 AM   #279
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Linda, that price, and the fact that you can only buy it by the box is a reason I was hesitant to even mention it. But it would be good, and if you could/can find it somewhere by the bar, it would be nice. Sorry, I can't help there.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:28 PM   #280
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
I'm going to get some good sugar-free chocolate bars to use with it though, maybe the ChocoPerfection bars when I can afford them. I wish they were not expensive. Does anyone know a retail store that carries them so I do not have to buy 12 at a time?
Look on their web site, ChocoPerfection. They have a link where you can go and plug your zip code in. There are some retail places that stock them. They also post a toll-free phone number, so guess you can call them, they may have a list of places.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #281
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
Look on their web site, ChocoPerfection. They have a link where you can go and plug your zip code in. There are some retail places that stock them. They also post a toll-free phone number, so guess you can call them, they may have a list of places.
Thanks, Tilly. I did break down and ordered a box of the dark chocolate ones today (seemed like most reviews liked them best). I just hope I like them. I am going to go and try to find somewhere near me though that carries them.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:22 AM   #282
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Thanks, Tilly. I did break down and ordered a box of the dark chocolate ones today (seemed like most reviews liked them best). I just hope I like them. I am going to go and try to find somewhere near me though that carries them.
Okay, I'll fess up. I bought a whole box from Netrition last time I ordered. The intention was to break them up for chocolate chunk cookies. Well, they never made it into the cookies, but somehow they have disappeared.

Last edited by Tilly; 12-22-2011 at 02:25 AM..
Old 12-22-2011, 03:10 AM   #283
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: whipper75229
Stats: 189/165.6/145 5'3.25" Age 69
WOE: Diabetic - LOW CARB FOR LIFE!! A1C 5.6
Start Date: June 2010
too funny!
whipper75229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:18 AM   #284
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
I was hesitant to buy the ChocoPerfection bars due to price and how many to purchase but my oh my, they are excellent! I also bought them to cut into chunks for recipes calling for sugar free chips. So far, they have not made it that far.
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:53 PM   #285
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBipp View Post
I was hesitant to buy the ChocoPerfection bars due to price and how many to purchase but my oh my, they are excellent! I also bought them to cut into chunks for recipes calling for sugar free chips. So far, they have not made it that far.
hmmm, I just wish I knew where they went, don't you????? So next time I order from Netrition (which is soon) I am being honest with myself and just going to enjoy them. Now I just have to kick my toosh into gear and make my own sf chocolate chips. Have put that one off. I will probably end up eating those too, sigh.....

Last edited by Tilly; 12-22-2011 at 01:55 PM..
Old 12-22-2011, 03:04 PM   #286
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I am visiting and have everything I need to make this except the protein powder. Does anyone know if I can use more cocoa in place of the PP? TIA
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:43 PM   #287
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
Okay, I'll fess up. I bought a whole box from Netrition last time I ordered. The intention was to break them up for chocolate chunk cookies. Well, they never made it into the cookies, but somehow they have disappeared.
Hahahahahahaha
Old 12-22-2011, 08:22 PM   #288
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
I am visiting and have everything I need to make this except the protein powder. Does anyone know if I can use more cocoa in place of the PP? TIA
I don't think it will work because the protein in the PP is what helps the fudge to set up. If you do try please let us know, though!

BTW, where the heck you been, girlfriend???!!!!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:22 PM   #289
Major LCF Poster!

Well, my sister had some protein powder, but I never did end up making the fudge!! I got home and was tuckered out from my visit and the holiday!! lol I ended up eating the chocolates anyways, but ordered some more, and now I just need to get in the kitchen and try this since I have all the ingredients. I haven't really been in the mood to cook or bake much.

Sorry I haven't been around much, I guess since I'm not doing much in kitchen I never think to come here!! I feel like I have missed so much being away, and I have missed everyone!! I hope you're doing well Linda!! Happy New Year GF!!
Old 06-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #290
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 1976Pianoman
Stats: 245/240/200
WOE: Ketogenic Diet - max 20g daily
Start Date: June 6, 2012
Forgive me if this has already been asked. I'm having a tough time figuring out how the carbs are so low in this recipe. Could you please show item per item how you arrived at your numbers (just for the carbs), and include the type of sugar substitute you used? Thank you very much! This picture looks incredible.
1976Pianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #291
Junior LCF Member

Let me explain where I'm coming from:

Two 7.6 fl oz cans of Nestle Table Cream contains a total of 30g carbs (15g per can)

Hershey's Sugar Free Chocolate contains 24g carbs per 40g serving. You are using 3oz which is 85g. 85g = approx 50g carbs

Just with those two components - the recipe is already at 80g carbs and we haven't calculated the sugar substitute yet. So unless you are cutting them into 80+ ity bity pieces, the carb math is way off. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I'm not trying to me mean, I just want to be sure I know what I am taking in.

Here are my sources for the carb data:

Walmart.com: Nestle: For The Table Media Crema (Cream), 7.6 Fl Oz: Dairy, Eggs & Cheese

http://www.thehersheycompany.com/bra...es.aspx?cat=sn
Old 06-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #292
Junior LCF Member

lol sorry for the multiple posts! I figured I should just finish up the math, as I've already gone this far.

So right now we are at 80g of carbs with the table cream and the sugar free milk chocolate. If the recipe were to be finished here, it would be okay as 60 pieces would net about 1.3 g per piece. So let's add that and the rest of the goodies:

DiabetiSweet (or other sugar alcohol) - 4.4g carbs per teaspoon. Recipe calls for 6 Tablespoons which is equal to 18 teaspoons. That's approx 80g of carbs.

Unsweetened Cocoa is 3g carbs per tablespoon. 4 Tbsp = 12g carbs

2 scoops Protein Powder is 4g carbs

The almonds add appox 3g carbs

So here are the totals:

Table Cream - 30g
Sugar Free Milk Chocolate - 50g
DiabetiSweet (or other sugar alcohol) - 80g
Unsweetened Cocoa - 12g
Protein Powder - 4g
Almonds - 3g

Total - 179g total recipe
Old 06-10-2012, 12:14 AM   #293
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LAGril
Stats: 235/163/130
WOE: strict old school Atkins
Start Date: May 17, 2009
The original poster cut it into 60 pieces. (Well, she actually made a half recipe and cut that into 30 pieces. But, the stated quantities are to make 60 pieces)

Also, there are plenty of sweeteners that don't have as high of a carb content as the one you listed. The ones that have sugar alcohols or maltodextrin or dextrose in them are higher in carbs. The concentrated liquid Spenda (sucralose) doesn't contain fillers or sugar alcohols. Those can be found on Netrition. Many people do not like the taste of Splenda with chocolate, so the best advice is to use a mixture of sweeteners. Some people subtract sugar alcohols from the carb count.

And, hi to the North Valley.

Last edited by LAGril; 06-10-2012 at 12:47 AM..
LAGril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:54 AM   #294
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
As LAGirl suggested, you could use stevia and erythritol, which I would count as 0 carbs. That saves 80 carbs. My Hershey's Special Dark cocoa is 1 carb per TBS, so that would save you 8 more carbs. If you use Chocoperfection bars, very expensive, but my dark chocolate bars are 2 carbs each. That saves you 44 carbs. The table cream is set at 30. But you can see that by carefully sourcing your ingredients, you can bring the total way down. Also, let’s face it, fudge is an indulgence. I have made this recipe more than once. I love it. It’s good enough to serve to company, especially if you use the Chocoperfection bars, which do not contain maltitol, which bothers a lot of people. But I don’t keep it in the house, because I am unreliable with portion control. Actually, I am very reliable with portion control, in that I have none.

Last edited by Soobee; 06-10-2012 at 03:55 AM..
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:56 AM   #295
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
It also doesn't appear that you are deducting for the fiber, or the sugar alcohols. I count 0 carbs for erythritol and stevia, as long as they aren't bulked with maltodextrin.

I haven't made this recipe in ages but it is VERY good stuff and a small piece is quite rich, so I can be satisfied with one or two pieces of it.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #296
Major LCF Poster!

Just put my table cream in the fridge, I saw this thread and remembered what I had bought it for!! LOL

I'm going to used truvia and liquid splenda to sweeten so no carbs there, and I have a zero carb protein powder also and my cocoa powder has 5gr per 1/4 cup. Shouldn't be too bad in the carbs as long as I make the pieces small and use portion control.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #297
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Bumping this because I just got a can of table cream for 25 cents!!!! WooHoo!!! I know the recipe calls for 2 cans, but I had one at home already LOL.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #298
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/174.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
I bought my media cream from Big lots and never did make it-but I kept 2 cans in the frig until today so I finally thought today was the day! one can was totally dried out on top so I trashed it-thankfully I had another can in the pantry but it wasn't cold but I poured off what liquid that was there and went with it---we have major flooding today and rain -probably not a good day but I was already committed.

I used russel stovers peanut butter cups-4 of those for my chocolate-and I used heaping scoops of the protein powder and I used 6 Tbs of powdered erythritol and a smidgen of stevia for the sweetner--it seemed to be sweet enough when I scraped the pan. I am hoping it hardens up-it seemed like it was on the side of the pan fast enough! It will be eaten one way or the other! thanks for sharing! Christmas fudge for me!

Jeanne

Last edited by jbatchelor; 12-21-2013 at 08:19 AM..
jbatchelor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:21 PM   #299
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 142/119.6/115
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 2014
Has anyone used the "ideal" brand of sweetner with this recipe?
Idreamofweightloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #300
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 142/119.6/115
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 2014
If the recipe as written is supposed to make 60 pieces I dont see how you could get 60 pieces out of a 5x7 pan. Heck I am trying to see how I will get 30 by looking at the pan. ( I had to go buy one, didn't own that size)
Idreamofweightloss is offline   Reply With Quote