Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dandelion42
Stats: way more than enough/more than enough/just right
WOE: ZC/carnivore/organic/grass-fed/pasture-raised only
Start Date: restart 2/2010
VLC/ZC beef shank recipe?

I'm at a loss. I've never prepared beef shanks before but I purchased some nice grass-fed ones on a whim and have no clue what to do with them!

I'm trying to avoid consuming much in the way of veggies (some veggies would be okay but not a crazy amount) and certainly no red wine, as most recipes I've found contains. Can anyone tell me a super simple, VLC/ZC way to prepare beef shanks? Your help is greatly appreciated!! Oh, btw I have 2.25 lbs, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
dandelion42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Sprinkle with salt and brown them in butter and olive oil in a heavy pan. Then remove from heat and season them with salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme, rosemary and some yellow mustard or mustard powder if you won't do mustard. Pour in beef or chicken stock and cover pan with foil. Bake at a low temp (250* or 300*) until tender. That could take 3-5 hours depending on how big they are. You can check them periodically. Once tender, remove from broth and reduce broth to thicker and can thicken with xanthan gum for gravy. Put joints back in the gravy and serve. Finish with a little butter.

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:14 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
Sprinkle with salt and brown them in butter and olive oil in a heavy pan. Then remove from heat and season them with salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme, rosemary and some yellow mustard or mustard powder if you won't do mustard. Pour in beef or chicken stock and cover pan with foil. Bake at a low temp (250* or 300*) until tender. That could take 3-5 hours depending on how big they are. You can check them periodically. Once tender, remove from broth and reduce broth to thicker and can thicken with xanthan gum for gravy. Put joints back in the gravy and serve. Finish with a little butter.
Thank you!! That sounds perfect!!
Old 08-07-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

So I made the beef shanks today. They are divine!!! Thank you so much for your help!

I didn't follow your recipe to a tee but I used salt, pepper, garlic powder, and dried rosemary seared in coconut oil and then braised in beef broth (it was the only one I could find that didn't have weird ingredients in it like hydrolyzed yeast, ew!) at 295 degrees for 3 hours. They were falling off the bone and soooo incredibly flavorful. I couldn't believe how easy and unbelievably delicious this was. I didn't thicken up the liquid after but still consumed it with glee and it was wow, just amazing, and took zero work!! I highly highly recommend others to try this for a super VLC/ZC dinner. You will not be disappointed. You could always serve it with fauxtatoes (mashed cauliflower) and some horseradish sauce. Yum.

The best part is that this is still considered a cheap cut of meat, save money, and have a fabulous meal. I got 2.25 lbs of local pastured grass fed/grass finished beef shanks for $11. That's at least 3 meals for me, which I think is pretty darn good.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:44 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: graciejean
sounds real good to me too.got to try this
graciejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:19 AM   #6
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Sounds awesome! I'm glad you liked it! Next time, take the time to reduce the broth to more of a gravy/syrup consistency and at least add a pat or two of butter. It's so divine!!! I do pot roast this way as well!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote